Chancellor Lyons Lights Up Memorial with Rolling Stones Song

1,865 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by calumnus
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't get this to imbed, but man, this is such a breath of fresh air!!! This was today during the welcome to Cal for the student athletes.

Chancellor Lyons Rolling Stones

Does this fix all of our problems? Of course not. But it sure feels like there is a new sheriff in town!

GO BEARS!!
Anarchistbear
lol, Sympathy for the Devil..is this a Stanford or ACC reference?
prospeCt
~ Cal Berkeley's own Chancellor with a strong Stones rendition, soulful guitar playing, and graceful stage presence, expect the unexpected, let a thousand Parks bloom . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/23/high-school-football-deaths-heat-stroke

~ tangentially related bonus cut

TheFiatLux
Anarchistbear said:

The song choice cracked me up! Would have loved an acoustic of Start Me Up :-)
Berzerker1
Thanks for posting the link to Lyons performing. I found it so inspiring on many levels. I had to add my comment to the FB post to express my thoughts on this pivotal moment in Cal's history:

Go Bears! Rich was an inspired choice for Chancellor. He is a real Old Blue and unlike virtually every previous ivory tower leader of our storied institution over the past 75 years, he understands that Cal football is THE revenue engine for the entire athletic department and that success on the gridiron can lead to dramatically increased donations that will enhance and strengthen the entire Cal community on all fronts! THE University of California could not have picked a more talented and better equipped leader to guide us through the uncharted and treacherous waters that face both our athletic department and institution as a whole.

We must support Lyons at this critical juncture at Cal. No one before him was willing to stand up to those forces within the Cal academic community who despise football, believing it not only to be a distraction from the university's mission, but more insidiously, an institution rich with traditions that they despise and wish to destroy, seeing it as a link to an establishment past that they hate. Few universities have had to deal with the level of blind and irrational antipathy toward football that somehow infected our beloved school in the wake of the tumultuous Sixties. Couple that daunting hurdle with a moribund, civil servant level of competence within the athletic department and you can see what a difficult task is before him. But he truly is the one person who is capable of taking on this challenge.

I can't help but think that even his song selection was a conscious decision. Think about it. Of all the songs he could have chosen to perform, he chose THE song from the most iconic of Sixties bands that marked the end of an era. But that band adapted and thrived as the world changed dramatically at the end of that decade. The message to me is that Cal does not need to live in the past. It is an incredible institution and should be a font of innovation, not a paean to the past! And that must include football if the university is to survive, thrive and lead in the 21st Century!

Go Bears! Class of '83
Econ141
All pomp and circumstance until he actually makes some tough decisions (and some easy ones like firing Markeisha and Knowlton).
bearsandgiants
Show me some substance. Still waiting.
GoCal80
bearsandgiants said:

https://news.berkeley.edu/2024/08/28/chancellor-lyons-welcomes-uc-berkeley-to-a-new-academic-year/
mbBear
bearsandgiants said:

Telling top boosters that a male sport at Cal isn't going to exist in the future without full endowment is pretty "substantial" to me, but hey, just my opinion....
Bearly Clad
I'm excited by what I've seen so far but my real judgement with regards to Lyons from the lens of California athletics will be based (positively or negatively) by how he handles Knowlton. If he holds him accountable for the swimming debacle and uses that as grounds to terminate the contract and get a real AD in there to support our programs and make better hires then it's a win. If it's all lip service and he lets the department continue to flounder then all the fun, quirky clips and surface level support mean nothing
Econ141
Agreed - and I hope the next AD chosen has close ties to the B1G and/or Fox.
Gobears49
Was Chancellor Lyons seated on the podium? Which one is he in the video?
BearBoarBlarney
Gobears49 said:

I don't find your shtick humorous.
Cal88
Gobears49 said:

He's the one standing in front of the recently inaugurated Joe Starkey statue.
mbBear
Bearly Clad said:

I'm excited by what I've seen so far but my real judgement with regards to Lyons from the lens of California athletics will be based (positively or negatively) by how he handles Knowlton. If he holds him accountable for the swimming debacle and uses that as grounds to terminate the contract and get a real AD in there to support our programs and make better hires then it's a win. If it's all lip service and he lets the department continue to flounder then all the fun, quirky clips and surface level support mean nothing
What we have already seen is Lyons giving specific direction for the department....Knowlton is already in a different role. Does that mean keep him? No, but I don't care if he is a lacky and his salary is saved in the short run....
The swimming debacle shouldn't "be used" for anything in my opinion...it was a horrible incident in Cal sports history. If he was found to be part of the awful happenings, then he should be fired...his performance as an AD should not have anything to do with it. Seems like the swimming thing would have come to a head by now, but I certainly don't have any insight there...
Econ141
He is in a new role? Do you know what he is responsible for now and how do you know this? Is Lyons then acting as the effective AD on his own?
mbBear
Econ141 said:

He is in a new role? Do you know what he is responsible for now and how do you know this? Is Lyons then acting as the effective AD on his own?

New in terms of Lyons laying out the agenda. Day to day function? No clue, but Lyons put out the keys points to the big boosters on the call. Fully endowed men's sports: that's saying the status quo is changing.
Also, saying that athletic success is fundamental to the university is so much more than anything Knowlton has ever talked about.
Gobears49
A good thought, but let's face it, the singer was pretty bad.
calumnus
mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

New in terms of Lyons laying out the agenda. Day to day function? No clue, but Lyons put out the keys points to the big boosters on the call. Fully endowed men's sports: that's saying the status quo is changing.
Also, saying that athletic success is fundamental to the university is so much more than anything Knowlton has ever talked about.

I thought when we went through the last round of potential sports cutting men's sports were saved by requiring that they be fully endowed?

And we need to go further. What needs to happen now is men's sports need to be MORE than fully endowed. Their very existence requires an equivalent women's sport under TItle IX, so BOTH the men's and women's team need to be fully endowed to continue the men's sport. They need to be seen as a package that together needs to be fully endowed.
HearstMining
TheFiatLux said:

Anarchistbear said:

I applaud Chancellor Lyon's effort and but let's put some perspective on this. Sympathy for the Devil was a hit in 1969, so it's 55 years-old. We Boomers (and maybe some Gen Xers) think it's a great song. But what if the Chancellor had gotten up and sang a 50+ year-old hit song when we were freshmen. Here's what we might have heard:

Incoming class,
1970: Swanee - Al Jolson (1920)
1975: Sweet Georgia Brown - Bessie Smith (1925)
1980: Happy Days Are Here Again - Ben Selvin (1930)
1985: Cheek to Cheek - Fred Astair OR The Good Ship Lollipop - Shirley Temple
1990: In The Mood - Glenn Miller (1940)
2000: Mona Lisa - Nat King Cole (1950)
2010: The Twist - Chubby Checker (1960)

These are all great songs, but I didn't appreciate them when I was 18 years-old. I hate to say it, but Chancellor Lyon might have been better off playing something by Taylor Swift or, dare I say it, Meegan Thee Stallion. Still, nice effort, Rich!
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

I thought when we went through the last round of potential sports cutting men's sports were saved by requiring that they be fully endowed?

And we need to go further. What needs to happen now is men's sports need to be MORE than fully endowed. Their very existence requires an equivalent women's sport under TItle IX, so BOTH the men's and women's team need to be fully endowed to continue the men's sport. They need to be seen as a package that together needs to be fully endowed.
Well, there were no blanket statement, no across the board requirements, best I can remember, best I am told. Sports were mostly saved through donations, not endowments.
I have no argument with your theory and proposal. I guess I would ask, is it incumbent on Men's Rowing to supplement Women's Rowing because they both use shells? Is baseball on the hook for softball, or is that different enough? Obviously, Field Hockey, Beach Volleyball, and Lacrosse have no equivalency.
They have a Title IX landscape to navigate...the options on that front have changed over the last few years, but it's hard see a Cal world without some hard decisions. And look, some women's sports have more endowment than others, so who knows how that drives the final decisions.
But, if the starting point is that football and Men's basketball have a broad and global importance to the University beyond the athletic department, then we have a perspective that has not been seen in the lifetime of anyone here....

01Bear
HearstMining said:

TheFiatLux said:

Anarchistbear said:

I applaud Chancellor Lyon's effort and but let's put some perspective on this. Sympathy for the Devil was a hit in 1969, so it's 55 years-old. We Boomers (and maybe some Gen Xers) think it's a great song. But what if the Chancellor had gotten up and sang a 50+ year-old hit song when we were freshmen. Here's what we might have heard:

Incoming class,
1970: Swanee - Al Jolson (1920)
1975: Sweet Georgia Brown - Bessie Smith (1925)
1980: Happy Days Are Here Again - Ben Selvin (1930)
1985: Cheek to Cheek - Fred Astair OR The Good Ship Lollipop - Shirley Temple
1990: In The Mood - Glenn Miller (1940)
2000: Mona Lisa - Nat King Cole (1950)
2010: The Twist - Chubby Checker (1960)

These are all great songs, but I didn't appreciate them when I was 18 years-old. I hate to say it, but Chancellor Lyon might have been better off playing something by Taylor Swift or, dare I say it, Meegan Thee Stallion. Still, nice effort, Rich!

Personally, I would've loved seeing the Cal chancellor singing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" when I was a freshman. I mean, the Andrews Sisters did it as three part harmony, but it should be possible for a talented musician to turn it into a solo. That said, watching an untalented amateur musician trying to turn it into a solo would've been even more entertaining!
calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

Well, there were no blanket statement, no across the board requirements, best I can remember, best I am told. Sports were mostly saved through donations, not endowments.
I have no argument with your theory and proposal. I guess I would ask, is it incumbent on Men's Rowing to supplement Women's Rowing because they both use shells? Is baseball on the hook for softball, or is that different enough? Obviously, Field Hockey, Beach Volleyball, and Lacrosse have no equivalency.
They have a Title IX landscape to navigate...the options on that front have changed over the last few years, but it's hard see a Cal world without some hard decisions. And look, some women's sports have more endowment than others, so who knows how that drives the final decisions.
But, if the starting point is that football and Men's basketball have a broad and global importance to the University beyond the athletic department, then we have a perspective that has not been seen in the lifetime of anyone here....

Yes, natural pairs are best wherever possible. It isn't men's crew and women's crew as separate programs, it is crew, with women having as much opportunity to compete as men (so depends on interest). And the message to donors needs to be that crew in its entirety needs to be fully endowed to ensure its continuation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.