A plea for folks to attend the UC Davis game / free ticket offer

5,290 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by KoreAmBear
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ok, so we are 24 hours from kickoff and attendance is looking like it could be very light. This is an abject failure of our marketing efforts and we need to discuss that. But I'd like to focus on what corrective actions we need to take tomorrow. Right now I'm asking all of you who are in the area to try to find the time to make it to Strawberry Canyon on Saturday.

The players work so incredibly hard and sacrifice so much to represent Cal. They literally risk life and limb. And we have seven chances a year to show them how much we appreciate their efforts. And to create a true home-field advantage for the Bears.

It shouldn't matter that it's an FCS opponent or Labor Day weekend or whatever. That is true almost every year for our home opener. The weather looks to be perfect, the team is fired up and ready to go and is more talented than any group we've assembled in a few decades. And as I have said many times, this is a make break year for Cal. We need to show that we as a community and as a school are invested in having a successful football program. A huge part of that for us fans is showing up. But more than any of that this is one of only a handful of chances you get a year to support the team and experience the joy of Cal football that only comes from being there in person. Don't miss it.

So I am attaching a link and a promotion code that will get anyone four free tickets to the game tomorrow. Use it wisely and hopefully only for Cal fans. But we need to get this done. Cost can't be an excuse. There's nothing less than free. And the team needs you. Go Bears!

Promo Code (all uppercase): nextleveldavis

[url=https://calbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/EVExecMacro?linkID=cal&evm=prmo&RSRC=&RDAT=&caller=PR][/url]https://calbears.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/EVExecMacro?linkID=cal&evm=prmo&RSRC=&RDAT=&caller=PR
grrrrah
Unfortunately, when I enter the code at that link, it says "No Events/Items Available."
Anarchistbear
Ditto
Sebastabear
Our marketing department in their infinite wisdom closed that code. New one is nextleveldavis. That works. Revised original post.
calumnus
I hope they get this news out to the students.

East Bay residents too.

UC Davis students and fans too. Really, a game with UC Davis <could> be an opportunity for a larger back to school event celebrating the ties between the two campuses.
Econ141

Shocky1
^^ very hopeful that folks will listen to kevin & rearrange their days tomorrow to celebrate the magic of cal football at memorial stadium!!!

look the future of cal football is NOT guaranteed, thinking ur gonna go to games sometime in the future may or may not happen

get ur FREE tixs now, when jaydn ott takes a PITCHOUT 75+ yards for an espn highlight reel touchdown that kicks off his national heisman campaign (in conjunction with the crafted cal football billboards in selective cities) u will be glad u made the decision to spend some of our limited time on planet earth at the epicenter of planet earth, memorial stadium!!!

the time is NOW#
Anarchistbear
Still no items available
01Bear
Sebastabear said:

Our marketing department in their infinite wisdom closed that code. New one is nextleveldavis. That works. Revised original post.

That code also no longer works.
HearstMining
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/9f6da865-3139-422c-8146-6b15c7dbcd59
Econ141
When will there be any accountability?!?!?

I will be there + 2.
GoOskie
I'd be there, but I'm on call. Go Bears!!!
Anarchistbear
Got it to work
Sebastabear
It works now
Econ141
calumnus said:

I hope they get this news out to the students.

East Bay residents too.

UC Davis students and fans too. Really, a game with UC Davis <could> be an opportunity for a larger back to school event celebrating the ties between the two campuses.

We can't wait for these morons. I just put a note out to the r/Oakland subreddit.
Econ141

Golden One
This would be much more effective if done by the AD one week before the game instead of 24 hours before.
oregoncalbear
Completely agree. Couldn't they have offered this days ago?
Sebastabear
oregoncalbear said:

Are y'all missing the part how this is a last-minute Hail Mary effort to save our home opener from being an embarrassing debacle? Are you not making the connection between why this is needed in the first place and the timing? I really don't think this question is that hard to figure out
sonofabear51
The athletic department needs a serious upgrade from the 'efforts' of knowlton, o'neil, and everett. ( Names deliberately NOT capitalized).

GO BEARS!!
Start Slowly and taper off
calbearsfaninsac
I'll be there tmrw.
Econ141
What if a lot of people show up now and Lyons gives Markeisha an extension?
Anarchistbear
Thanks for the ticket, wasn't planning on going but it'll be a nice day at the old stadium
Sebastabear
Anarchistbear said:

Thanks for the ticket, wasn't planning on going but it'll be a nice day at the old stadium
Glad you will come! Cal needs as many fans there as possible. We have a number of players who transferred in from very big time athletic programs. LSU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. I think if they ran out on the field with 15,000 people in the stands they would be seriously reevaluating their decision. We need this to be a destination the best players want to come to. And a big part of that is fan support.
going4roses
Lingering Covid symptoms make it a no go for me

#GoBears
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Golden One
Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Are y'all missing the part how this is a last-minute Hail Mary effort to save our home opener from being an embarrassing debacle? Are you not making the connection between why this is needed in the first place and the timing? I really don't think this question is that hard to figure out

Don't you understand that doing it this late will have very little positive impact on attendance tomorrow?
golden sloth
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Don't you understand that doing it this late will have very little positive impact on attendance tomorrow?

Do you realize this is not his job nor his responsibility? He saw a major problem someone else created and is doing the best he can to salvage the situation.
golden sloth
going4roses said:

Lingering Covid symptoms make it a no go for me

#GoBears

Really? People are still using Covid as an excuse.
StillNoStanfurdium
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

If you have time travel technology you should really share it with the rest of us.
Sebastabear
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Obviously, So let me try this again. If we had a good marketing department, we would have pushed for this several days ago. if we had a good marketing department, we wouldn't have found out about this situation yesterday, But if we had a good marketing department we wouldn't need to be doing it at all. You don't need to throw the Hail Mary pass if you score a bunch of touchdowns earlier in the game. But the fact that you didn't score those touchdowns doesn't mean you don't try the Hail Mary if it's your only chance. So complaining about this not being as effective as it could be because it's not early enough is completely missing the point
CalBearinLA
Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Don't you understand that this isn't Sebasta's day job and he's literally volunteering his time to fix a massive issue?
KenBurnski
As always thank you to SB and any other behind the scenes Bears for their unreal commitment.
Golden One
CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Don't you understand that this isn't Sebasta's day job and he's literally volunteering his time to fix a massive issue?

Of course I do. But my point still stands. If you did it today, why not do it a week ago. Anyway, I'll be at the game tomorrow. I'm a member of the Founders Club.
Econ141
This was my post on r/Oakland:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oakland/s/61sxSNZASU

If you can, please give it some upvotes so it gains more attention. There was one person that is now going with a couple others so I've single handedly did more for Cal football than the entire marketing dept.

I hope this finally leads to some change in marketing. It shouldn't be that hard to promote the only football team in the East Bay, at the best stadium in the Bay area by far, that now sells alcohol and has a 1st round draft pick in waiting. You have to be a complete idiot to not be able to draw a crowd even if we have a mediocre team. I hope there is ramifications for the entire marketing dept if the attendance is as bad as what this hail Mary implies.

Once again Cal fans have it right (free tix for the students!!) and the admin either has it wrong or doesn't care. I'm afraid t is the latter which is even worse.
CalBearinLA
Golden One said:

CalBearinLA said:

Golden One said:

Sebastabear said:

oregoncalbear said:

Of course I do. But my point still stands. If you did it today, why not do it a week ago. Anyway, I'll be at the game tomorrow. I'm a member of the Founders Club.

Then you can spearhead it next time as a member of the founders club. I appreciate Sebasta at least trying something. He's got enough on his plate with CA legends
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.