Mendoza starting

1,621 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by sluggo
72CalBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Source: Cal to start QB Fernando Mendoza vs. UC Davis (msn.com)
Bring back bottled beer and cigars at CMS. Should get us back in the Rose Bowl!
oskidunker
72CalBear said:

Source: Cal to start QB Fernando Mendoza vs. UC Davis (msn.com)

Well, ai am not a fan of Rodgers. Lets just leave it at that. Inwas hoping the third string would get a few series
Go Bears!
Econ141
Agree - I know we are all going to be frustratingly proved right after Wilcox and Coach Blows work remain undecided through week 5 only to finally go with Mendoza in week 6 and forgoing a lot of development if he had just started and finished them all to begin with.
oskidunker
What is the fascination with running qbs who cant pass?
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

Why are you calling him a "running QB"?

Last year he completed 62% for 3,382 yards 29 TDs and only 5 Int. A 150 passing rating. His rushing totals were comparable to Mendoza's who I would not call a "running QB" either. Rogers is better at moving in the pocket and avoiding the rush, which could be valuable against a better pass rush than UC Davis.

Mendoza looked good today and should start against Auburn but we need to have the back-ups ready to go in case he struggles or gets injured, which unfortunately is part of football.

oskidunker
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Last year he completed 62% for 3,382 yards 29 TDs and only 5 Int. A 150 passing rating. His rushing totals were comparable to Mendoza's who I would not call a "running QB" either. Rogers is better at moving in the pocket and avoiding the rush, which could be valuable against a better pass rush than UC Davis.

Mendoza looked good today and should start against Auburn but we need to have the back-ups ready to go in case he struggles or gets injured, which unfortunately is part of football.

I only care about what he does here. Lets wait and see.
Go Bears!
chazzed
Until another QB clearly outperforms him, Mendoza should be under/behind center. It's pretty simple.
Econ141
This game begs the question - what did the staff see in camp (fall and spring) that made them think Rogers was equal to Mendoza? I feel that this nepotism (UNT familiarity with Bloesch) that is forcing this competition.

Mendoza is a leader and outperformed Rogers. Let him build the synchronicity with his receivers and stop this amateurish charade of not being able to judge talent until 5 weeks into the season. It says more about the staff than it does about the competition.
sluggo
Econ141 said:

This game begs the question - what did the staff see in camp (fall and spring) that made them think Rogers was equal to Mendoza? I feel that this nepotism (UNT familiarity with Bloesch) that is forcing this competition.

Mendoza is a leader and outperformed Rogers. Let him build the synchronicity with his receivers and stop this amateurish charade of not being able to judge talent until 5 weeks into the season. It says more about the staff than it does about the competition.
I went to the first scrimmage. Rogers played better, it was not that close. And he is clearly more mobile, which will be important starting next week. Mendoza struggled with the rush in what I saw in practice. I want Mendoza to be the qb because he has a higher ceiling and more years of eligibility, but I understand why Rogers played. I think the accusation is unfair.

I disagree with a lot of coaching decisions yesterday, but I thought it made sense to play both. I would prefer next week to go with Mendoza as long as he is performing.
sluggo
oskidunker said:

Rogers can pass. His arm strength is just so-so, but he is accurate. He is not Brandon McIlwain. He is not really a running qb, quick but not all that fast and not heavy enough to take many hits.
oskidunker
sluggo said:

oskidunker said:

Rogers can pass. His arm strength is just so-so, but he is accurate. He is not Brandon McIlwain. He is not really a running qb, quick but not all that fast and not heavy enough to take many hits.

He completed one good pass yesterday,unless I missed something.
Go Bears!
DaveT
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

Rogers adjusted total adjusted QBR was 62.7 last year. Roughly the same as Mendoza, and pretty mediocre overall.

He does work better outside the pocket, but that's by necessity. He's undersized and doesn't have the arm strength to be a pocket passer. In several ways, he and Mendoza are polar opposites.

He's a great QB2 option and will help the team this season.
sluggo
oskidunker said:

sluggo said:

oskidunker said:

One game and 6 passes, 3 completed and 1 dropped, does not tell us everything there is to know. Did you see Rogers practice? What did you think of what you saw?

I do hope Mendoza gets all the snaps against Auburn unless he falters. But since the QBs were so close in practice it made sense to get both some game action.
calumnus
sluggo said:

oskidunker said:

sluggo said:

oskidunker said:

One game and 6 passes, 3 completed and 1 dropped, does not tell us everything there is to know. Did you see Rogers practice? What did you think of what you saw?

I do hope Mendoza gets all the snaps against Auburn unless he falters. But since the QBs were so close in practice it made sense to get both some game action.

With Rogers in it seems we changed the offense and went 5 wide and threw WR screens or ran him (as much as he threw). Were they doing that in practice? Rogers was primarily a passer in hs previous stops.
sluggo
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

oskidunker said:

sluggo said:

oskidunker said:

With Rogers in it seems we changed the offense and went 5 wide and threw WR screens or ran him (as much as he threw). Were they doing that in practice? Rogers was primarily a passer in hs previous stops.
No. But I only saw one practice. In that one the offense was the same for both and Rogers threw a 75 yard bomb to Merriweather for a touchdown. Rogers can throw. His good timing and vision made up for his mediocre arm.

It appears that they put in a special package for Rogers for this game. And that package did not really work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.