Game day experience

11,060 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by HighlandDutch
Pittstop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JSC 76 said:

Pittstop said:

So, I gather from the comments that absolutely no one enjoyed attending today's game at Memorial Stadium, right? Not recommended to go see the games in person?
Perhaps you're serious; perhaps you're being snarky to make a point. But your comment does cause me to reflect deeply.

I think that the changes in the game day stadium experience in the last 10 years -- post-remodel, post-Covid, post-takeover-by-Learfield- -- have made the experience vastly less fun than it used to be. At this point, I'm going to the games out of habit and tradition, and the glimmer of hope that the positive will outweigh the negative.

I used to enjoy hearing the Cal Band play during every timeout and between snaps. To hear a semi-full student section in full roar under the direction of competent mic-men. To watch card stunts at half time. To stand in the tunnel after the game while the Band marches out playing "One More River".

Those are all gone, replaced by hype men and DJs. I miss the old days.

I get it. And yes, it was a bit of intentional 'snark' for the sake of pointing out the complete absence of 'any' positive comments about the experience of attending a game in person at Memorial. But again, I get it.
RedlessWardrobe
ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game
If the players's performance is dependent upon what pre game music is played then the football program is really in bad shape. Evidently it has become more important than the size of the crowd. If abnormally loud blaring music keeps fans from coming to the game I would think that would also alter player stimulation. No disrespect to the players but last time I checked it was the fans in attendance who pay to be there and pay some of the bills. I also am puzzled because the team played better in the second half without the benefit of an hours worth of music.
Econ141
What the heck was this - saw it on my way home.

82gradDLSdad
ducky23 said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

They played the "blow the whistle" medley about 50 times. I almost wanted to shoot myself lol. If in 34 and getting annoyed by it, I'm sure some older people were as well.

Not sure if there is a limited number of songs they can use or for money reasons or what, but I can find a non DMCA football playlist on YouTube if they need some help.

The small crowd size, heat, as well as lack of entertaining offensive plays never helps either.

Is this the hour long 'rap' music before the game? We get there early to avoid any issues and the blaring rap music when you know the 'youngsters' aren't even in the stadium yet is hard to take.

This one again?

The pre game music is for the players, not for anyone else. They could be playing Johann Sebastian Bach or the Wiggles and I wouldn't care as long as that's what the players want to get hyped before a game

Most of the players aren't even on the field when we get there. I don't really care. Just commenting.
Chapman_is_Gone
Any updates on this pH of the tap water at Memorial this year?
Anarchistbear
pH is dental ready
freshfunk
It was an absolutely beautiful day in Berkeley. Getting into CMS has gotten quicker -- maybe it was because it was a light crowd with Davis. I felt like security has gotten faster. The silver lining of it not being too crowded is that there's plenty of room.

I agree that they play the music just a bit too long. When either team is lined up, I wish they would shut off the music. Waiting for the snap is pretty annoying -- I don't care if we're trying to make it harder for the team. It disincentivizes the crowd from making noise because there's music in the background.

I could hear the PA fine with no echoing.

I thought they really tried to cater to Gen X with the background music (instrumentals from popular 80's songs) and Gen Z with the newer tracks. Half time show by the Cal band clearly for Gen X/Y. But sitting on the western side, there are obviously a lot of boomers there who dislike how much music is part of the experience.

I get the gripe though. I didn't think there was enough mic person and stadium cheers. We had a couple Go! Bears! and C-A-L but not nearly enough. I didn't feel like fans were getting hyped by the cheers. It didn't help that it was half empty.

For some reason, the older mic man guy just got on my nerves. He just tried to use that showtime voice that was just grating. I get it -- you need to be the hype guy and get everyone going. But the voice sounds so contrived. Just be energetic and talk like a normal person. You don't want to sound like you're a WWF announcer.

Did anybody else see Oski? Wow!! Whoever was Oski yesterday was amazing! Oski was busting a bunch of dance moves at the student section and it really got me hyped up. Definitely a hip hop dancer.

The 2:00 warning. In concept, makes a ton of sense. But with the number of 3 minute commercial breaks, it makes the game feel like it's dragging even more. I just wish the commercial breaks were shorter.. maybe 1:30?

I felt like I didn't see as many slo-mo replays on the screens after questionable plays. Is this intentional?

All things considered, the city of Berkeley / Berkeley PD does a good job managing traffic getting in and out for the game.
TexasAgInTheBay
This is my third year of season tickets so you have me regardless of what happens.

I think I say this every year: the stadium gets loud for one chant and its Hey Alumni go bears chant that goes back and forth from side to side in the stadium. Just get rid of the Hey Alumni part and GO- BEARS back and forth the entire time on defense. Its super loud, easy, and fun!

Play the awful Mo Bamba song. Its musically devoid of anything worthwhile, but the kids universally go crazy EVERYWHERE for this song. Just play it once a game when the Bears need the pickup.

I love fight songs. In three years I've rarely heard the band play the fight song. Part of it might be I never get to my seats on time during the entrance. But still, the fight song should be 50% of what the band is playing at any time. The song is major part of the branding of the university and football team. Maybe I'm just not recognizing it. But I try to listen carefully for it.
Big C
Econ141 said:

What the heck was this - saw it on my way home.

How do you like the Cybertruck?!?

Not gonna lie, did get some derogatory comments, but you'd be surprised: a lot of chicks really dig it! Not all, to be sure, but the number of chicks that dug my beige Camry was zero.
JSC 76
TexasAgInTheBay said:

I love fight songs. In three years I've rarely heard the band play the fight song. Part of it might be I never get to my seats on time during the entrance. But still, the fight song should be 50% of what the band is playing at any time. The song is major part of the branding of the university and football team. Maybe I'm just not recognizing it. But I try to listen carefully for it.

Your problem may be that Cal has literally a dozen fight songs. . THE fight song is "Fight for California" which is played at the end of the pregame show, and after every score. But when the Band was playing between snaps, those were fight songs too: "Big C", "Sons of California", "The Golden Bear".
82gradDLSdad
freshfunk said:

It was an absolutely beautiful day in Berkeley. Getting into CMS has gotten quicker -- maybe it was because it was a light crowd with Davis. I felt like security has gotten faster. The silver lining of it not being too crowded is that there's plenty of room.

I agree that they play the music just a bit too long. When either team is lined up, I wish they would shut off the music. Waiting for the snap is pretty annoying -- I don't care if we're trying to make it harder for the team. It disincentivizes the crowd from making noise because there's music in the background.

I could hear the PA fine with no echoing.

I thought they really tried to cater to Gen X with the background music (instrumentals from popular 80's songs) and Gen Z with the newer tracks. Half time show by the Cal band clearly for Gen X/Y. But sitting on the western side, there are obviously a lot of boomers there who dislike how much music is part of the experience.

I get the gripe though. I didn't think there was enough mic person and stadium cheers. We had a couple Go! Bears! and C-A-L but not nearly enough. I didn't feel like fans were getting hyped by the cheers. It didn't help that it was half empty.

For some reason, the older mic man guy just got on my nerves. He just tried to use that showtime voice that was just grating. I get it -- you need to be the hype guy and get everyone going. But the voice sounds so contrived. Just be energetic and talk like a normal person. You don't want to sound like you're a WWF announcer.

Did anybody else see Oski? Wow!! Whoever was Oski yesterday was amazing! Oski was busting a bunch of dance moves at the student section and it really got me hyped up. Definitely a hip hop dancer.

The 2:00 warning. In concept, makes a ton of sense. But with the number of 3 minute commercial breaks, it makes the game feel like it's dragging even more. I just wish the commercial breaks were shorter.. maybe 1:30?

I felt like I didn't see as many slo-mo replays on the screens after questionable plays. Is this intentional?

All things considered, the city of Berkeley / Berkeley PD does a good job managing traffic getting in and out for the game.

Regarding questionable/reviewed plays...I know I'm never using Habas law firm.
Chapman_is_Gone

Mo Bamba: A fine example of the complete trash that is much of today's popular music. I couldn't care less if the kids like it. I feel sorry for them...they don't know any better when it comes to music (except for those who seek out better music, of course).

But I do know that the University should not play this song at any University-sanctioned event due to its lyrical content.

Call me an old man. Go ahead, throw your tired predictable insults my way. But I'm not an old man. I just have taste.

Mo Bamba Lyrics
16yrold
Daytrip took it to ten
I got hoes calling a young n igga phone
Where's Ali with the mother****ing dope? (*****, *****)
I be ballin' like a mo'****in' pro (like a, huh, like a, huh)
I be ballin' like my ***** Mo (Bamba, *****)
Sheck Wes, I ain't a mo'****in' joke (haha, hahahahaha)
Steph Wes stay with the ****in' pole (pa, pa, pa-pa)
You **** around and get poled (you get poled, *****)
'Cause I got hoes (so many ****ing hoes)
Callin' a young ***** phone
(Ring-ring, ring, ring-ring, ring, ring-ring)
Where's Ali with the (***** with the) mo'****in' dope? (huh)
I be ballin' like a mo'****in' pro (like a mo'****in' pro)
I be ballin' like my n igga Mo (Bamba, Bamba)
Sheck Wes got so many flows (I do it all)
Call me Drake how a ***** tro-
Oh! ****! ***** *****!
Young Sheck Wes and I'm getting really rich (ching-ching)
See how I caught it 'cause I'm really with the ****s (bang-bang)
See me in the streets and I be really with a (cling, cling), with a
Bad ***** (*****), *****s straight rocking (rock)
N iggas straight see me, when they see me, they be coppin' (what?)
I'm the best drug dealer, n igga, come and cop it (got it)
Young Sheck Wes, I'm like the ****in' Green Goblin
I got hoes (ho)
Calling a young n igga phone, phone (*****)
Where's Ali with the mother****ing dope?
(With the mother****ing dope)
Dope (with the mother****ing dope)
With the mother****ing dope (*****)
With the dope (getting rich), with my bros (*****, ****)
I ****ed your ho (****)
And she ain't even let you know (she ****ed up)
Damn, this n igga nice, **** is you talking about?
('Cause I got) ***** (hoes)
And my n igga One-Six, my n igga
Ali, the Daytrip *****, **** is *****s talking about?
(I got hoes, ****
Young Sheck Wes, I do it on the go)
DR_520
I don't remember them playing the song for more than a few verses. The song isn't used for the lyrics it's more than anything the beat that is meant to energize the crowd. What songs would you recommend they use for this purpose. I think they do a good job in not being too offensive with the music selection compared to most (Oregon)
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Mo Bamba: A fine example of the complete trash that is much of today's popular music. I couldn't care less if the kids like it. I feel sorry for them...they don't know any better when it comes to music (except for those who seek out better music, of course).

But I do know that the University should not play this song at any University-sanctioned event due to its lyrical content.

Call me an old man. Go ahead, throw your tired predictable insults my way. But I'm not an old man. I just have taste.

Mo Bamba Lyrics
16yrold
Daytrip took it to ten
Oh! ****! ***** *****!
I got hoes (ho)
I ****ed your ho (****)
(I got hoes, ****

When I was a kid, all I had to play, in order to shock the older generation, was Edwin Starr's "Stop the War Now". Had to hand over my portable AM/FM cassette tape player to my parents for 24 hours (after erasing the tape). IIRC, by the time I got it back KFRC and KYA had dropped the song from their rotation. Lyrics too shocking and controversial.
oskidunker
Big C said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Mo Bamba Lyrics
16yrold
Daytrip took it to ten
Oh! ****! ***** *****!
I got hoes (ho)
I ****ed your ho (****)
(I got hoes, ****

When I was a kid, all I had to play, in order to shock the older generation, was Edwin Starr's "Stop the War Now". Had to hand over my portable AM/FM cassette tape player to my parents for 24 hours (after erasing the tape). IIRC, by the time I got it back KFRC and KYA had dropped the song from their rotation. Lyrics too shocking and controversial.

KEWB SPORTS SCOREBOARD, CHANNEL 91
Go Bears!
TomBear

After decades of renewing my season tickets "under protest", this year I didn't renew.

There'are a lot of reasons. As I stated many times before in other threads, I come up from SoCal to be with friends and experience "college traditions". Now, most of my friends I went to games with have moved from the state. And the "college traditions" (read: Cal traditions) that I love are rapidly replaced with electronic sound effects, "music", and other nfl-wannabe crap that has taken a lot of the reasons I spent money on travel, tickets, food, hotel etc. away from me.

For the students that did show up yesterday, they were witness to a pretty sad display of football in the first half. Frankly, Cal played soft. And it wasn't entertaining nor was it particularly exciting. So they came to the first game to see what the experience would be like, and got treated to soft football, and piped in crap, and at half time they probably thought staying for more of the same wasn't worth the time.

Thankfully the Bears played better ball in the second half. But after watching some SEC and other ACC games prior to and after the Cal game, the Bears still need to pick up the intensity. The SEC's motto is "It just means more", and their teams play like it. Until the Bears play a full 60 with the same kind of dedication to winning as the SEC and other ACC teams do, I'm not at all sure students or fans are going to find it worthwhile to spend a Saturday afternoon at CMS.

For years I told my "representative" I wasn't going to renew season tickets until Cal got back to a more organic (read Cal) atmosphere, And each year I renewed hoping for better. Finally, with conference re-alignment, and the cost of hotels, food and peripherals continuing to rise, I just had enough. I will come up to 2 or 3 games, but saving on season tickets and travel this year will be substantial for me.

If the Bears put a more intense effort into their game on a consistent basis, and if (somehow) Cal marketing will get their minds off of trying to be another generic nfl environment, I'll re-consider for next year. A lot will depend on what I experience in the games I've purchased tickets for this season.

And yes, Cal Band wasn't sharp. But neither was Cal football in the first half. The team rallied. I hope the band does too.

I used to stay for the after game concert. But Cal Band doesn't even march out of the tunnel anymore, which was the highlight of the after game concert for me.

The Cal game day experience I loved has been taken away from me. And I don't think I'm alone.
HoopDreams
TomBear said:

After decades of renewing my season tickets "under protest", this year I didn't renew.

There'are a lot of reasons. As I stated many times before in other threads, I come up from SoCal to be with friends and experience "college traditions". Now, most of my friends I went to games with have moved from the state. And the "college traditions" (read: Cal traditions) that I love are rapidly replaced with electronic sound effects, "music", and other nfl-wannabe crap that has taken a lot of the reasons I spent money on travel, tickets, food, hotel etc. away from me.

For the students that did show up yesterday, they were witness to a pretty sad display of football in the first half. Frankly, Cal played soft. And it wasn't entertaining nor was it particularly exciting. So they came to the first game to see what the experience would be like, and got treated to soft football, and piped in crap, and at half time they probably thought staying for more of the same wasn't worth the time.

Thankfully the Bears played better ball in the second half. But after watching some SEC and other ACC games prior to and after the Cal game, the Bears still need to pick up the intensity. The SEC's motto is "It just means more", and their teams play like it. Until the Bears play a full 60 with the same kind of dedication to winning as the SEC and other ACC teams do, I'm not at all sure students or fans are going to find it worthwhile to spend a Saturday afternoon at CMS.

For years I told my "representative" I wasn't going to renew season tickets until Cal got back to a more organic (read Cal) atmosphere, And each year I renewed hoping for better. Finally, with conference re-alignment, and the cost of hotels, food and peripherals continuing to rise, I just had enough. I will come up to 2 or 3 games, but saving on season tickets and travel this year will be substantial for me.

If the Bears put a more intense effort into their game on a consistent basis, and if (somehow) Cal marketing will get their minds off of trying to be another generic nfl environment, I'll re-consider for next year. A lot will depend on what I experience in the games I've purchased tickets for this season.

And yes, Cal Band wasn't sharp. But neither was Cal football in the first half. The team rallied. I hope the band does too.

I used to stay for the after game concert. But Cal Band doesn't even march out of the tunnel anymore, which was the highlight of the after game concert for me.

The Cal game day experience I loved has been taken away from me. And I don't think I'm alone.

I understand.

one recommendation I have for you if you haven't already done so recently is go to Sproul Plaza 2 hours before kickoff, watch/listen to the drum line, then see the Cal FB rally 90 minutes before kickoff. They play and sing several traditional Cal songs, have the entire marching band, cheer/dance teams, and Rally Committee.

When that's over, follow the band as they march up to Memorial

I think it has lots of the traditions you love
flounder
82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

ah yeah, the need to insult an entire genre of music. what would suit your geriatric taste?
82gradDLSdad
flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

ah yeah, the need to insult an entire genre of music. what would suit your geriatric taste?

Almost any other music. I don't like the music they played before the game, sue me. You took that as an insult? I'll try really hard to not have an opinion, sunshine.
SoFlaBear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Mo Bamba Lyrics
16yrold
Daytrip took it to ten
Oh! ****! ***** *****!
I got hoes (ho)
I ****ed your ho (****)
(I got hoes, ****
1) As with most songs of this ilk, there is a "clean" (or "clean-ish") version.
2) Kids love music that p*sses off their parents, so I can see why they love this.
HoopDreams
Before the game the team is warming up, and they like this music

It's also great music to workout in

Different music for different activities

82gradDLSdad said:

flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

Almost any other music. I don't like the music they played before the game, sue me. You took that as an insult? I'll try really hard to not have an opinion, sunshine.
82gradDLSdad
HoopDreams said:

82gradDLSdad said:

flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

I get it but the team isn't out there warming up yet when we get there. That's ok. It's not a deal breaker for us.
HoopDreams
We should create a playlist and send to Cal as a suggestion

I like much of the music but my major complaint is not the new EDM, but that they play too many of the very common stadium songs too often…. Just cliche with no originality

At some point it's like going to weddings and always hearing the same wedding songs. If I hear YMCA at one more wedding I just might leave… even before the cake!

82gradDLSdad said:

HoopDreams said:

82gradDLSdad said:

flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

I get it but the team isn't out there warming up yet when we get there. That's ok. It's not a deal breaker for us.
82gradDLSdad
HoopDreams said:

We should create a playlist and send to Cal as a suggestion

I like much of the music but my major complaint is not the new EDM, but that they play too many of the very common stadium songs too often…. Just cliche with no originality

At some point it's like going to weddings and always hearing the same wedding songs. If I hear YMCA at one more wedding I just might leave… even before the cake!

82gradDLSdad said:

HoopDreams said:

82gradDLSdad said:

flounder said:

82gradDLSdad said:

FrankBear21 said:

I don't know why but YMCA made me laugh.
2ndTrumpetBear
The "team enjoys the warmup music" justification has always baffled me. It doesn't seem like it's helping. Perhaps the warmup music should be stuff the team doesn't like to make them more aggressive.
RedlessWardrobe
2ndTrumpetBear said:

The "team enjoys the warmup music" justification has always baffled me. It doesn't seem like it's helping. Perhaps the warmup music should be stuff the team doesn't like to make them more aggressive.
Also, if the warmup music is for the team, is it necessary to have it blasting so loud that the fans in the stands can't even have a conversation? And how do we know if every player on the team enjoys the same music?

The whole issue borders on being ridiculous. I'm all for music, any kind of music, but if its so loud that you can't even have a conversation with the person sitting next to you, then it really diminishes the advantage of getting to a game early to avoid inconvenience. Ultimately it can only hurt attendance, because despite the current sports/music combo culture, the primary purpose of people going to the game is to watch the game, not listen to music. What is more likely to cause football fans not to come? Music at a overwhelming volume before the game, or a fan who decides not to go to the game because there's either a lack of pregame music or it isn't loud enough?
When you take a step back, you realize the reasoning for loud music before the game is not in the interest of drawing a larger fan base.
SanseiBear
TomBear, I gave up buying season tickets in 2019 after 17 years of flying in from out-of-state for many reasons you eloquently cited. Some other concerns I had were the 7-day window on game starts and the excessive number of night games that weren't comfortable for an Old Blue from Hawaii.

That said, I miss going to games like this past weekend that are played in beautiful weather and meeting up with old friends. Here's hoping Cal will play much better going forward.

GO BEARS!
Big C

I would recommend some Lawrence Welk. Pretty sure this would get the team fired up!

And a one and a two and a . . .
oskidunker
Big C said:

I would recommend some Lawrence Welk. Pretty sure this would get the team fired up!

Love is Blue, jesusChrist SuperStar, washington post march,1812 overture,Sounds of Silence, Hard days night
Go Bears!
Anarchistbear
Big C said:

Beethoven like Clockwork Orange. Get everyone stoked for the ultra violence
82gradDLSdad
I'd go for some Metallica. Geriatric my ass.
kal kommie
Like so many others who have reported here, I am repulsed by the amount and volume of music blasted from the speakers. Really seems like the gameday experience directors are trying to fill every permissible second with noise from the speakers whether it be an advertisement, an announcement, or modern music. This is objectionable enough in itself but it does the additional harm of silencing the band.

Speaking of the band, can anyone tell why the band was moved a couple of sections south? It's no longer embedded in the student section. Yet another blow to the atmosphere, making it harder for most of the crowd to hear the band, as well as separating the band students from the rest of the students.
oskidunker
kal kommie said:

Like so many others who have reported here, I am repulsed by the amount and volume of music blasted from the speakers. Really seems like the gameday experience directors are trying to fill every permissible second with noise from the speakers whether it be an advertisement, an announcement, or modern music. This is objectionable enough in itself but it does the additional harm of silencing the band.

Speaking of the band, can anyone tell why the band was moved a couple of sections south? It's no longer embedded in the student section. Yet another blow to the atmosphere, making it harder for most of the crowd to hear the band, as well as separating the band students from the rest of the students.

The Acc does not allow the band to be directly behind the opposing team Since Wilcox did not want the sun in his eyes he moved the Cal team to the west side thus creating this problem. I dont think its a big deal, although the sound heard on the west side seems diminished . Fyi, the Pac 12 prohibited students from being behind opposing team.
Go Bears!
oskidunker
kal kommie said:

Do what I do. Get a pocket radio with ear buds
Go Bears!
kal kommie
oskidunker said:

kal kommie said:

Do what I do. Get a pocket radio with ear buds
I want to hear the the band, the students, the rest of the crowd, and the folks around me including my family. I even want to hear the play summary and some of the announcements and promotions, like when other Cal athletics teams are honored on the field for their success. I just want them to cut the piped-in music by 80% so we can hear the sounds of a real college football game.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.