SebastaBear.....give us a reason.....

9,553 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by sycasey
pingpong2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
rkt88edmo said:

Attacking and withholding from NIL is counter productive unless you disagree with the direction that NIL is taking and even then you should be able to direct to just the players you are interested in and not general fund. This is not a Wilcox slush fund. If you want better Cal FB and BB, give to NIL

Here's my question to you; if we donate more money, will we get materially more wins with this coaching staff? Are better players able to compensate for the hole the coaching staff is putting us in? Because if the answer is no, then what is the point?
sycasey
ducky23 said:

CarmelBear said:

ducky23 said:

Is there something in Wilcox's contract that says he must be employed as the HC?

Why can't we just make him the most expensive DC ever (if he doesn't agree to it he can quit). Then maybe Ron takes a heavy heavy discount? (I mean how much is this man donating to NIL? Just have him stop doing that and take less salary)

Have Ron right the ship until we can get rid of Wilcox once his contract expires. And then have Ron have select his successor.

Knowing Ron and his love of the program, this is not far fetched.

This may be sacrilege, but I don't think Ron is even that great of a coach. But he has two things we need. He has attitude and he has balls. He's riverboat Ron. There's zero chance you would see a Rivera led team play in crunch time the way we have the last 3 games.
And the donors would be happy with him, at least as an interim solution. He's old enough that he wouldn't want to stay for the long haul anyway. Just as a bridge to the next coach.
sycasey
rkt88edmo said:

Attacking and withholding from NIL is counter productive unless you disagree with the direction that NIL is taking and even then you should be able to direct to just the players you are interested in and not general fund. This is not a Wilcox slush fund. If you want better Cal FB and BB, give to NIL
Yeah, that's the issue: the NIL fund is not in charge of coaching decisions. It's to help pay players and allow us to get or keep the best ones possible.

Now, could the NIL folks have some influence over administrative decisions? Maybe. But it's indirect and I'm not sure that withholding money is the way to accomplish that.
ducky23
sycasey said:

ducky23 said:

CarmelBear said:

ducky23 said:

Is there something in Wilcox's contract that says he must be employed as the HC?

Why can't we just make him the most expensive DC ever (if he doesn't agree to it he can quit). Then maybe Ron takes a heavy heavy discount? (I mean how much is this man donating to NIL? Just have him stop doing that and take less salary)

Have Ron right the ship until we can get rid of Wilcox once his contract expires. And then have Ron have select his successor.

Knowing Ron and his love of the program, this is not far fetched.

This may be sacrilege, but I don't think Ron is even that great of a coach. But he has two things we need. He has attitude and he has balls. He's riverboat Ron. There's zero chance you would see a Rivera led team play in crunch time the way we have the last 3 games.
And the donors would be happy with him, at least as an interim solution. He's old enough that he wouldn't want to stay for the long haul anyway. Just as a bridge to the next coach.

As a bridge he'd be perfect.

Maybe you'd ask why would he do it (for practically free).

But how much would it mean for him to forever be known as the man who saved Cal football? I think that's worth something. And it would mean something to him.

He should figure out who he wants his successor to be. Hire him as his OC. Have Wilcox ride out his contract as DC. And then in two years you pass it on to the successor.

Is this idea that outlandish?
Bobodeluxe
Maybe Oregon will hire him away after their coach goes to the major leagues?
bencgilmore
cal93 said:

Why should we give more to the collective while Wilcox is still the coach?

There are tons of reasons. Be positive. Somehow
WalterSobchak
pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

Here's my question to you; if we donate more money, will we get materially more wins with this coaching staff? Are better players able to compensate for the hole the coaching staff is putting us in? Because if the answer is no, then what is the point?
The point is if we crash NIL we know for sure the result will be lots of losses. Right now even with Wilcox ****ing everything up our NIL has made us competitive. It's the only thing that's made us competitive.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
LunchTime
philly1121 said:

Strykur said:

sycasey said:

These last three results really need to start a groundswell among the donors to get Wilcox out of there. Losing one of them is forgivable. All three is unacceptable.
And we're gonna get some more honky talk about how we can still go 9-3/8-4....**** THAT ****
Full disclosure, I thought 8-4 at beginning of season. I revised to 9-3 after Auburn. But after FSU and Miami, I revised to 2-3 more wins tops. All this talk about "rallying" and "season is not over". Come on now lads. We beat Wake and Stanford. NC State possibly. But that's it. I haven't seen the game highlights but I've seen the box score. 12 penalties for 110 yards?? Did Ott not play??

Its really sad actually because the ACC this year is mid. We could have been at the top. Instead, we are tied for dead last. But, I'm over it already.
Assuming the team doesnt quit on Wilcox...

I am not sure Cal wins another game after losing three times like that.
dimitrig

I don't want him as the DC either
LunchTime
sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

Strykur said:

sycasey said:

These last three results really need to start a groundswell among the donors to get Wilcox out of there. Losing one of them is forgivable. All three is unacceptable.
And we're gonna get some more honky talk about how we can still go 9-3/8-4....**** THAT ****
Full disclosure, I thought 8-4 at beginning of season. I revised to 9-3 after Auburn. But after FSU and Miami, I revised to 2-3 more wins tops. All this talk about "rallying" and "season is not over". Come on now lads. We beat Wake and Stanford. NC State possibly. But that's it. I haven't seen the game highlights but I've seen the box score. 12 penalties for 110 yards?? Did Ott not play??

Its really sad actually because the ACC this year is mid. We could have been at the top. Instead, we are tied for dead last. But, I'm over it already.

I don't think Syracuse is any better than Pitt and we will be at home. Oregon State? Who knows, they've been beating Mountain West teams all year and didn't really give Oregon a game. Those are winnable too.

But this season still should have been better.

By the way, Ott was declared out before the game started. He's clearly been banged up all year.
Oregon State has been a "winnable" L for Cal for like 40 years.
LunchTime
ducky23 said:

Oski vs Everyone said:

8 weeks ago a couple of guys got banned permanently for saying the exact same thing -- that there shouldnt be any additional support for the collective until Cal fires Wilcox and Knowlton.

It turns out they weren't wrong. They were just early.

Same thing happened with the early folks who wanted Tedford or Dykes fired.

In the future, we should try to listen to other people and engage with the merits of their arguments instead of just booting them.

But this is a message board, so that probably won't happen.

Go Bears!

I think this is a very difficult and delicate dilemma. Do we encourage people not to donate to NIL? But by donating or we enabling Knowlton and Wilcox? It's a tough question. Whatever sebasta decides I'll go with.

You think Sebasta is going to say "Stop donating"?

If we are honest, the answer is they close the wallet, and we keep donating. The bigger the bank, the more asskicking they can do.
DoubtfulBear
WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

The point is if we crash NIL we know for sure the result will be lots of losses. Right now even with Wilcox ****ing everything up our NIL has made us competitive. It's the only thing that's made us competitive.
What's the point of being competitive if we are going to lose close games anyways? Might as well save the cash to buyout Wilcox's contract
rkt88edmo
pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

Sure, dig a bigger crater for the next coach to climb out of, totally sounds like a winning strat.

NIL is gonna keep the players who are good and buy in (Nando Ott), regardless of staff.
sycasey
DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

What's the point of being competitive if we are going to lose close games anyways? Might as well save the cash to buyout Wilcox's contract
Yes, but paying coaches is not what NIL money is for.
CNHTH
If you guys really think Ott is gonna come back next year you're f'ing tripping.
A) he's going to get drafted because of his skill set over his 2024 stat line. The scouts know he's been injured and they also know what he's been playing with.
And
B) even if he decided not to; he is a semester away from graduating so why in the hell would he want to come back to a losing team with a sackless coach who will run his health into the ground and more than likely blame him if he so happens to fumble when he's gang tackled the second he takes a hand off.

I can almost guarantee that if he doesn't hit the league next year he's gone to $C.
The Berkeley degree argument is gone given he will most likely be walking with the spring grads and if he's not officially done at that point getting it done in the summer.
pingpong2
sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

I guess the question is; why can't it be? Money is fungible after all.
WalterSobchak
sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

And I could be wrong but I don't think posters cal93 and pingpong are gonna be buying out any contracts. I know I'm not. They just want an excuse to not feel bad about not giving to NIL.

But it's a moot point. Wilcox has totally destroyed all the momentum we had coming out of the GameDay lead-up so any groundswell for giving by regular fans is dead in the water anyways. He's set us back massively and ruined the hard work put in by lots of people in just one short week.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/donate-football/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
sycasey
pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

As I've said, I think the people behind the collective COULD flex their muscles and get the administration to make big changes through indirect influence. I don't think that works if they actually have less money to play with. Having a lot of money is what would give them the clout.
ducky23
CNHTH said:

If you guys really think Ott is gonna come back next year you're f'ing tripping.
A) he's going to get drafted because of his skill set over his 2024 stat line. The scouts know he's been injured and they also know what he's been playing with.
And
B) even if he decided not to; he is a semester away from graduating so why in the hell would he want to come back to a losing team with a sackless coach who will run his health into the ground and more than likely blame him if he so happens to fumble when he's gang tackled the second he takes a hand off.

I can almost guarantee that if he doesn't hit the league next year he's gone to $C.
The Berkeley degree argument is gone given he will most likely be walking with the spring grads and if he's not officially done at that point getting it done in the summer.

Ok I'm going to say something unpopular. I think we needed Ott this year, so I'm fine paying him.

But next year, I think that money would be better spent elsewhere. We have bigger problems than the RB position.
falseintellect
rkt88edmo said:

Wrong. I do not want good athletes to come to Cal if Wilcox is the head coach. I would not wish that on an enemy, let alone promising young football players.

Most of our best guys will once again be hitting the portal after this year, and I am glad for them to do so unless a change is made. I will be excited to see talented guys like Uluave shine when they are put in a better position and play for a competent program.
WalterSobchak
Wow. And people wonder why we struggle.

pingpong2
sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

As I've said, I think the people behind the collective COULD flex their muscles and get the administration to make big changes through indirect influence. I don't think that works if they actually have less money to play with. Having a lot of money is what would give them the clout.

I'm not sure I follow. Every dollar spent on NIL funds for players is one less dollar that goes towards the buyout, no? What I wonder is what is a better ROI; spending money on players or spending money on a buyout?
sycasey
pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

I'm not sure I follow. Every dollar spent on NIL funds for players is one less dollar that goes towards the buyout, no?

No, because these are totally separate piles of money.
pingpong2
sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

I'm not sure I follow. Every dollar spent on NIL funds for players is one less dollar that goes towards the buyout, no?

Ok let me be more clear. Donate less money to the NIL fund, and send that money towards the buyout fund. Every dollar put into the NIL fund is one less dollar that goes into the buyout fund. I'm not talking about money already in the NIL fund unless it can be backed out to the donor to redistribute
sycasey
pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

Ok let me be more clear. Donate less money to the NIL fund, and send that money towards the buyout fund. Every dollar put into the NIL fund is one less dollar that goes into the buyout fund. I'm not talking about money already in the NIL fund unless it can be backed out to the donor to redistribute

If there is such a thing as a buyout fund, then I'd recommend people donate there too.
WalterSobchak
sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

If there is such a thing as a buyout fund, then I'd recommend people donate there too.
Early and often.

philly1121
ducky23 said:

CNHTH said:

And

Ok I'm going to say something unpopular. I think we needed Ott this year, so I'm fine paying him.

But next year, I think that money would be better spent elsewhere. We have bigger problems than the RB position.

I thought he was going to leave before this season. He stayed and I bet he's rueing that decision. He definitely leaves for the pros or to a contender when the window opens.
01Bear
philly1121 said:

ducky23 said:

CNHTH said:

And

I thought he was going to leave before this season. He stayed and I bet he's rueing that decision. He definitely leaves for the pros or to a contender when the window opens.

I'm hoping he goes pro and takes the League by storm. He's been a great Cal bear. I want nothing but the best for him. I'd also love if he left Cal on good terms and became another amazing representative for our alma mater in the Marshawn vein.
Oski vs Everyone
Knowlton and Wilcox need to go. It isn't the collective's fault they are still there. The collective raises money for kids who are good at playing football. They don't make the ultimate coaching decisions.

But raising NIL money does send a message to the people who make these decisions. NIL money says "we support this program no matter what."

A good administration would say "Awesome. Let's get these fans a real coach so their money will be well spent."

But at Cal, it says "the fans are happy. they are donating money. no need to make changes."

So while it isn't their fault that Knowlton and Wilcox still have jobs, they are sending a good message that is being misunderstood by leadership. And it doesn't help they pay to put Wilcox's NIL on billboards and flying him first class to Italy.

Stuff like that strongly reinforces the message our leaders are hearing
DoubtfulBear
01Bear said:

philly1121 said:

ducky23 said:

CNHTH said:

And

I'm hoping he goes pro and takes the League by storm. He's been a great Cal bear. I want nothing but the best for him. I'd also love if he left Cal on good terms and became another amazing representative for our alma mater in the Marshawn vein.
He shouldn't have come back this season. Last year he was a breakout star but this year he's competing against a deep slate of RBs expected to declare for the draft
01Bear
DoubtfulBear said:

01Bear said:

philly1121 said:

ducky23 said:

CNHTH said:

And

He shouldn't have come back this season. Last year he was a breakout star but this year he's competing against a deep slate of RBs expected to declare for the draft

He was ineligible for the draft last year.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

pingpong2 said:

sycasey said:

DoubtfulBear said:

WalterSobchak said:

pingpong2 said:

rkt88edmo said:

Is there a get rid of JK tomorrow fund?
westcoast101
I hope that Memorial looks empty for every game the rest of the season.
hoop97
westcoast101 said:

Horrible take
Strykur
hoop97 said:

westcoast101 said:

Horrible take
Well it's gonna happen if we continue to slide
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.