OL going downhill?

908 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by Bobodeluxe
Oakbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Bears gave up 11 tackles for loss to a team that came into the game with just 12 sacks.

this is a horrible fact .. and Pitt is not that strong a team

we brought in at least two NIL players , didn't lose much but still not much of a line

we go up against the 'weaker' part of our schedule and could go 4-2 but JW (who I now refer to as Lucy, which I guess makes the fans Charlie browns) could very well blow a game ..

Syracuse probably a toss up game .. SMU probably we will not be favored

as a Cal fan, I hope JW can pull it together, but as I have noted many times, I have little faith in the guy
SBGold
Oakbear said:

The Bears gave up 11 tackles for loss to a team that came into the game with just 12 sacks.

this is a horrible fact .. and Pitt that strong a team

we brought in at least two NIL players , didn't lose much but still not much of a line

we go up against the 'weaker' part of our schedule and could go 4-2 but JW (who I now refer to as Lucy, which I guess makes the fans Charlie browns) could very well blow a game ..

as a Cal fan, I hope JW can pull it together, but as I have noted many times, I have little faith in the guy
they had one guy especially, I think his name was Jimmy Scott, he flat out owned us
MrGPAC
Oakbear said:

In the second half they blitzed on virtually every down, but we kept either running directly into the blitz or calling long developing passing routes that we didn't have time for.

I even suggested in the game thread that we counter by quick passes up the middle to the tight end. Next drive we did that all the way to the end-zone throwing right over the blitz.

You cannot blame a bad OL when they are constantly outnumbered on every play and we do nothing to help them out with our play calling.
calumnus
MrGPAC said:

Oakbear said:

In the second half they blitzed on virtually every down, but we kept either running directly into the blitz or calling long developing passing routes that we didn't have time for.

I even suggested in the game thread that we counter by quick passes up the middle to the tight end. Next drive we did that all the way to the end-zone throwing right over the blitz.

You cannot blame a bad OL when they are constantly outnumbered on every play and we do nothing to help them out with our play calling.

Absolutely, We should have just kept passing to the TE, 20 yards at a clip and scored until they stop it. We do it for one drive, it works masterfully, then we go back to running up the middle. Wilcox really seems to hate big plays and scoring fast, he is wedded to some long ago proven ineffective and erroneous strategy,
Bobodeluxe
Fans hated Sonny's fast scoring offense. Wilcox was/is the solution.
Go!Bears
Bobodeluxe said:

We sure fixed that problem.
Big C

All of those fast touchdowns really used to suck, didn't they? So many, so fast... it cheapened them for me!
MrGPAC
Bobodeluxe said:

Fan's didn't hate Sonny's fast scoring offense.

They hated how fast his defense gave up scores and they hated how that fast scoring offense disapeared against good defenses.
southseasbear
Bobodeluxe said:

I would gladly trade Wilcox for Sonny. Sonny had a team play in the National Championship game. Wilcox has yet to have a winning conference record. The Redbox and Independence Bowls are the best he can do.
oski003
southseasbear said:

Bobodeluxe said:

I would gladly trade Wilcox for Sonny. Sonny had a team play in the National Championship game. Wilcox has yet to have a winning conference record. The Redbox and Independence Bowls are the best he can do.

Dykes, who took TCU to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game after being fired by Cal, had a 19-30 record at Cal. He won one bowl game at Cal, the Armed Forces Bowl, and never had a winning conference record.

Dykes' record at Cal: 19-30
Dykes record everywhere else: 73-45
Cal Junkie
All that aside our OL is poor. They get easily overwhelmed by capable DLs, and QB Mendoza has to run for his life on virtually every play. The run game is also getting stuffed because the OL can't make many holes. That was an area of need, theoretically a high priority from last year, yet here we are, still below average. We need a much better OL and don't get me started on their miscues.
Bobodeluxe
There aren't really that many "good" offensive linemen in the minor leagues. That's why th really good ones get paid so much in the majors. Guys bulked up well over their carrying capacities get hurt easily.

That, and Buh.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.