A plea

2,677 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by BearlyCareAnymore
kad02002
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I like to simplify things. When we boil things down, what is Cal football really lacking? In my opinion, an offensive identity and true offensive system.

This is an anti-Bloesch post, at all. In fact, I think he's done a pretty great job of drawing up some nifty plays. Miami was…one of the most painful defeats in an ocean of painful Cal defeats. However, one can argue that they only had that lead because of the inventive plays he called and they executed. They were outmatched on the day, however, and when they needed to run the ball and beat their opponent on a play to play basis, they couldn't. They have nothing to lean on.

And therein lies the problem. I know I've said these things many times before, but in this sport you either need to be better or you need to be different. Cal has some nice talent and I know people are working their butts off in the NIL era, but we would be kidding ourselves if we really think Cal is going to put out true blue blood talent on a year over year basis.

Right now, Cal does what 95% of everyone else does. Generic spread. However everyone wants to label it, it's essentially the same. So why would Cal win big by doing the same things as everyone else?

My plea is to finally implement a true offensive system. An order of playcalling. Baldwin was a grab bag of spread plays. Musgrave a more pro style grab bag. These last two may err more on the side of a system, but it's still generic spread no different than anyone else.

Where to look?

For years I said Coastal Carolina. It was a true old school option game but from the gun. Lots of motion and misdirection but a true execution based option system. They moved on to Liberty with great success last year. This is still in play.

The academies. Don't laugh. If anyone else has noticed, they are both doing amazingly well. With offense. BIG offense. They focus on smart, disciplined, tough players. Cal can thrive this way. While these are more on the side of under center flexbone option systems (which I know turn some people off) they are more diverse these days. The system wins everywhere. It won at Georgia Tech with Paul Johnson. Does Cal want to win??

One other scheme to keep an eye on is the go go offense at UNLV. Is it revolutionary? No. Does it have to be? No - like many innovations, it is more that the OC is doing a nice job of incorporating old concepts into new looks. I think it's a nice mesh for the modern game. It's a lot of 80s and 90s west coast two back stuff incorporated into the more modern gun game, with (again) a heavy dose of option. More importantly, the guy seems to operate with a real order of plays and a true system. The passing game is still there, and it's up tempo, so it may work better for people who can't stomach a "traditional" option offense. UNLV is one of the worst programs of all time historically, and the offense has them winning now.

Yes, option football is my answer. Cal has always produced linemen (as do many top academic schools). The Bay Area always produces running backs. While Bay Area high schools run the spread more now, they have always been more hard nosed at their core (the flagship program De La Salle of course running the veer).

Wilcox is a tremendous defensive coach. They play with great fundamentals. The defense is fine.

Another angle (the moneyball angle) - having a unique and well defined system is more important in the NIL age. Cal does not have unlimited resources. If Cal does not have to compete in the same way for resources as other teams do, Cal can better concentrate resources on defense and for the players who fit a more unique scheme (with less competition).

There is my plea. Run the option. Gain an identity. Win. Or keep getting the same results for another half century.
Eastern Oregon Bear
I don't think Mendoza would be a good fit for an option offense. We'd probably have to use Rogers and lose Mendoza after the season.
kad02002
He might not be (definitely not the academy stuff), but I am looking at long term solutions, anyways. There would surely be player turnover. But this NC State gsme going on right now is a perfect example. They have nice individual plays, but no rhythm or continuity. It's just a question of whether they can string enough random plays together on any given drive. Usually they don't. It's a tough way to live. This is why they need a true system with continuity and an order for attacking a defense.
kad02002
UNLV just took down Oregon State on the road. 6-1 record (including the mid-season QB switch). Army and Navy a combined 13-0. Liberty 5-0. If anyone is scared about an inability to throw - Liberty a bit above 200 yards a game, UNLV around 175, Navy 170. Not prolific, but pretty good considering all are top 10 in rushing. Army throws for less than 100 per game, but 370 rushing yards per game makes up for a lot. Army and Navy are both also top 7 in yards per play, so it's not like less balance is hurting them or that running more makes them less explosive.
Time to eschew perceived* aesthetics and start to win.
*Personally I think there is nothing more sweet to watch than a well executed option offense.
dimitrig

I think what you are describing is coaching.

We need some better coaching.

To get that we need a better AD.
kad02002
And while I'm ranting, I'll also say that I find their offensive trajectory under this regime to be in line with what often happens to defensive head coaches. They view the game in what plays are difficult for them to defend. Lots of formations - hard to prepare for. Screens - mess with your pass rush. Reverses - can't overpursue. ____ individual concept is hard to defend, let's run it.
But that's how you get a collection of plays that don't work or build off of each other instead of a system. The grab bag. And it doesn't work long term without superior talent.
I challenge anyone to say what Cal's 3-4 go to or foundational plays are. Can't do it. And that's the problem. They don't have any because they don't have a real system.
Offense is more art than science. I hope someone figures that out, because this regime obviously *is* close - but they just can't sustain any consistency offensively.
pingpong2
kad02002 said:

I challenge anyone to say what Cal's 3-4 go to or foundational plays are.
Pretty sure our go-to play is the first down run up the middle for 1-2 yards.
kad02002
Yes, but I think I'm just extra frustrated because the defense is so well coached year in and year out, and it's just begging for someone to couple it with a complimentary offense. It would fit a boa constrictor offense like a glove. There are masters running these offenses, and Cal would be a step up the totem pole for all of them. But it would take some guts and out of the box thinking, because everyone is more critical of teams who take a chance by going against the grain and doing something outside the norm.
95bears
kad02002 said:

Yes, but I think I'm just extra frustrated because the defense is so well coached year in and year out, and it's just begging for someone to couple it with a complimentary offense. It would fit a boa constrictor offense like a glove. There are masters running these offenses, and Cal would be a step up the totem pole for all of them. But it would take some guts and out of the box thinking, because everyone is more critical of teams who take a chance by going against the grain and doing something outside the norm.
You're not wrong. We need something the accentuates our competencies (finding CA and TX skill players) and mitigates our deficiencies (can't find OL in CA and get 4th tier from TX).
Hawaii Haas
I totally agree with you.
m2bear
What Cal really needs is a NEW head coach.

It's not that complicated.
smh
m2bear said:

What Cal really needs is a NEW head coach.
It's not that complicated.
what's most complicating, on top of the rest of the cluster fark, is not having a functional AD.
Gobears49
....... who works full time for Cal and not on some other business.
kad02002
Here's one to add to the list: Vanderbilt. I'll be honest, I hadn't even realized what they were doing on offense until I just sort of stumbled upon some cut ups. But guess what? First year in this option scheme and they are 5-2 with a win over ALABAMA. At Vanderbilt, one of the perceived most "impossible" places to win.

Is Cal ready to win yet?

https://vanderbilthustler.com/2024/10/17/film-room-too-many-options/

I only skimmed that article and watched a few clips, but it seems like a good overview.

Also, it looks like they actually throw for more yards than they run for (roughly 200 to 160) per game. So this would be the most balanced or pass friendly scheme on the list.

Pittstop
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I don't think Mendoza would be a good fit for an option offense. We'd probably have to use Rogers and lose Mendoza after the season.

And you would never recruit another top tier WR - but then again, I don't imagine you would need them if you're running the option.
bearsandgiants

We would have to lose both and find two new ones if we wanted to run the option. Mendoza is more mobile than Rogers. Option is not an option without a wholesale change.
CNHTH
The casual fans who've never played the sport will never get it…
There's a reason that Baldwin looked like Musgrave looked like Spavital looks like Bloesch.
And that reason is that Wilmoe is a stubborn micro manager who is trying to play old school football where you pound the ball and drain the clock and switch to a prevent defense once you get a lead.
The problem is belligerently switching to running the ball to drain clock and going to prevent doesn't work. RPOs and spreads are specifically designed to be efficient against zone coverage but suffer against man a blitzing.
Wilmoe never learns. He micromanaged each of his coordinators to switch to this philosophy.
It doesn't work. It is a **** philosophy especially when you have a team with a weak oline and a defense whose strength is in man coverage plus pressure.
He is stubborn and doesn't self reflect which is why this is deja vu for the last 8 years.
The only solution is to fire him.
He's not changing and he never will.
He's an unoriginal ******* with an unoriginal system.
He's never been a good recruiter: he rode on tosh's coattails for that and he's never been a good play caller which is why he didn't last more than a year at most in each of his stops.
We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Dude is the worst coach in d1 right now and quite possibly of any coach since 2000 at any school.
Nobody has done less with the same talent, facilities, etc
socaltownie
CNHTH said:

There's a reason that Baldwin looked like Musgrave looked like Spavital looks like Bloesch.
And that reason is that Wilmoe is a stubborn micro manager who is trying to play old school football where you pound the ball and drain the clock and switch to a prevent defense once you get a lead.
The problem is belligerently switching to running the ball to drain clock and going to prevent doesn't work. RPOs and spreads are specifically designed to be efficient against zone coverage but suffer against man a blitzing.
Wilmoe never learns. He micromanaged each of his coordinators to switch to this philosophy.
It doesn't work. It is a **** philosophy especially when you have a team with a weak oline and a defense whose strength is in man coverage plus pressure.
He is stubborn and doesn't self reflect which is why this is deja vu for the last 8 years.
He's never been a good recruiter: he rode on tosh's coattails for that and he's never been a good play caller which is why he didn't last more than a year at most in each of his stops.
We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Dude is the worst coach in d1 right now and quite possibly of any coach since 2000 at any school.
Interested in this

"The problem is belligerently switching to running the ball to drain clock and going to prevent doesn't work. RPOs and spreads are specifically designed to be efficient against zone coverage but suffer against man a blitzing."

Could you elaborate? I do think that Wilcox wants us offensively to "be like Oregon" which is what he knows. I am curious as to why/what works there and can't work at Cal with the lesser level recruits we are going to have. Clearly Ducks have faced blizting teams in the Big 10 but I would think a good bet for them to run the table to the Playoffs (and national champ game?)
Take care of your Chicken
kad02002
bearsandgiants said:

We would have to lose both and find two new ones if we wanted to run the option. Mendoza is more mobile than Rogers. Option is not an option without a wholesale change.

It would absolutely be wholesale changes. Which, I would argue, is a reasonable course of action given an inability to reach their goals for 60+ years, the vast majority spent doing what everyone else is doing.
There is another reason why the time is right, and it's part of the reason that the teams I mentioned are doing so well: pretty much everyone is running the spread, and defenses are built to stop the spread, so it's a comparative advantage to do something else. The inverse of how BYU was winning championships and setting records in the 80s - when many of the top teams were running the option or, at the least, pro style, smash mouth offenses. Defenses built to stop the 240 pound sledgehammer lead blocking fullbacks and star tailbacks were not as equipped to stop BYU, which was the precursor to the Air Raid and everything we've got going on today.
And you've got the recruiting advantage of competing with fewer schools for the talent that fits your system.
It's correct that we may lose out on top, prototypical receiving prospects. But how many are we getting, anyways? And how much NIL money are we spending there? Not spending that money there is an advantage.
It's not as clear cut with QBs. Yes, if it's a true Army under center flexbone type of option, you will not get them. But most QBs are running the ball a bit out of the spread in HS. Certainly the UNLV or Vandy or Liberty versions - and maybe Navy (which may be the sweetest of the bunch, as it is a bit of a delaware wing-t offense hybrid) would not be QB recruit preclusive.
CNHTH
socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

"The problem is belligerently switching to running the ball to drain clock and going to prevent doesn't work. RPOs and spreads are specifically designed to be efficient against zone coverage but suffer against man a blitzing."

Could you elaborate? I do think that Wilcox wants us offensively to "be like Oregon" which is what he knows. I am curious as to why/what works there and can't work at Cal with the lesser level recruits we are going to have. Clearly Ducks have faced blizting teams in the Big 10 but I would think a good bet for them to run the table to the Playoffs (and national champ game?)

What I mean on the offensive side is he wants his offensive coordinators to run the ball and / or run short hitch routes to burn clock. The strategy is basically the same all game long. The reason we have success with it early is because it is other teams playing softer coverage early, which allows us to move the ball early in games.
On defense this is my biggest issue, and the one I'll keep barking about.
It's clear as day that Wilcox has switched to some sort of zone nickel look anytime we have a lead in the second half.
It is absolutely mindless coaching.
In the Auburn game he did it and we dodged a bullet because Lambert Smith would have torched us if Thorne had gone to him on crossers more and not deep.
In the fsu game we lost because of the Douglas touchdown when our nickle back was stuck in iso because we were in prevent and they simply motioned him to the nickleback / safety side of the present look.
In the Miami game he started playing a soft zone and restrepo absolutely destroyed us on crossers.
I turned off the pitt game so I dunno.
In the nc state game once again prevent with a lead.

The issue is we have the best dam secondary in the nation. Having Williams and Harris is a luxury. It allows us to play man coverage and bring pressure. And we are successful when we do that.
When we sit in a zone or prevent we are getting torn apart.
And it's not just us. The difference is other coaches aren't running f'ing prevent or zone at the end of games.
They are blitzing continuously.
We aren't, weren't and worst of all Wilcox isn't seeing this and adapting.
BearlyCareAnymore
kad02002 said:

bearsandgiants said:

It would absolutely be wholesale changes. Which, I would argue, is a reasonable course of action given an inability to reach their goals for 60+ years, the vast majority spent doing what everyone else is doing.
There is another reason why the time is right, and it's part of the reason that the teams I mentioned are doing so well: pretty much everyone is running the spread, and defenses are built to stop the spread, so it's a comparative advantage to do something else. The inverse of how BYU was winning championships and setting records in the 80s - when many of the top teams were running the option or, at the least, pro style, smash mouth offenses. Defenses built to stop the 240 pound sledgehammer lead blocking fullbacks and star tailbacks were not as equipped to stop BYU, which was the precursor to the Air Raid and everything we've got going on today.
And you've got the recruiting advantage of competing with fewer schools for the talent that fits your system.
It's correct that we may lose out on top, prototypical receiving prospects. But how many are we getting, anyways? And how much NIL money are we spending there? Not spending that money there is an advantage.
It's not as clear cut with QBs. Yes, if it's a true Army under center flexbone type of option, you will not get them. But most QBs are running the ball a bit out of the spread in HS. Certainly the UNLV or Vandy or Liberty versions - and maybe Navy (which may be the sweetest of the bunch, as it is a bit of a delaware wing-t offense hybrid) would not be QB recruit preclusive.
Oregon State switched to the wishbone in the 90's out of similar desperation and it failed badly. Then they just decided to put in effort, hired Dennis Erickson, and they were 11-1 in his second year. The issue isn't the scheme. You can win with almost any scheme with strong player development, good execution, and solid play calling. If you actually look at CAL and when CAL succeeded, both Snyder and Tedford built the program with lesser known recruits (but smart recruiting) through development and execution, and THEN got better recruits. Probably more specifically, they both took horrible offensive lines that they inherited and made them very good overnight followed quickly by dominant. With the same personnel.

I'm fine with having it your way, but the bottom line is, that offense will get trashed (much like most offenses) with a lousy offensive line. It will absolutely work with a dominant offensive line, but I don't see that anything you are presenting is making it easier to achieve that.

As soon as coaches get film, the good ones will break it down and understand how to beat you. You aren't snookering anyone at this level. Yes, it can be a pain in the butt. No one liked preparing for OSU's wishbone, but they did it and beat the anyway. There are no short cuts. The recipe is smart recruiting, excellent player development, great execution.
95bears
CNHTH said:

socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

What I mean on the offensive side is he wants his offensive coordinators to run the ball and / or run short hitch routes to burn clock. The strategy is basically the same all game long. The reason we have success with it early is because it is other teams playing softer coverage early, which allows us to move the ball early in games.
It's clear as day that Wilcox has switched to some sort of zone nickel look anytime we have a lead in the second half.
In the Auburn game he did it and we dodged a bullet because Lambert Smith would have torched us if Thorne had gone to him on crossers more and not deep.
In the fsu game we lost because of the Douglas touchdown when our nickle back was stuck in iso because we were in prevent and they simply motioned him to the nickleback / safety side of the present look.
In the Miami game he started playing a soft zone and restrepo absolutely destroyed us on crossers.

The issue is we have the best dam secondary in the nation. Having Williams and Harris is a luxury. It allows us to play man coverage and bring pressure. And we are successful when we do that.
And it's not just us. The difference is other coaches aren't running f'ing prevent or zone at the end of games.
We aren't, weren't and worst of all Wilcox isn't seeing this and adapti
More of your analysis as this season goes slogs on would be very welcomed.
WavyBear
kad02002
BearlyCareAnymore said:

kad02002 said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'm fine with having it your way, but the bottom line is, that offense will get trashed (much like most offenses) with a lousy offensive line. It will absolutely work with a dominant offensive line, but I don't see that anything you are presenting is making it easier to achieve that.

Actually, that's exactly what I'm presenting. That's sort of the whole point of the option in general - if you can't block them, don't. Option them instead. Army and Navy do not have the most gifted lines in the country and have no way possible to recruit them. The option allows you to get great line play without elite recruiting (which, in the end, is also what you are advocating for). So, yes, improving offensive line play is pretty much the entire theory and historical background of the option offense in general.
I realize it failed at Oregon State. That's Oregon State in the 90s, when most everyone else was either running the option or some form of power running scheme. Oregon State was also a historically inept program in a recruiting backwoods.
Want to know another historically inept program in a recruiting backwoods who implemented an option scheme during the same era? Kansas State. They were in worse shape with less tradition. And it turned them into a perennial conference champ contender and for a time even a national championship game threat.
And to be clear, the schemes I am suggesting are not going backwards. Army is the only one that really resembles something from the past. The rest are combining old and new schemes into something new. It's a chance to be innovative and at the forefront, rather than being a follower. Wouldn't that be nice??
Grigsby
socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

Cal can't be Oregon because it doesn't have the same athletes. Not to mention Oregon actually prides itself in have a strong OL.

Cal recruits at a 3 mid star level whereas Oregon recruits at a mid 4 star level.
southseasbear
kad02002 said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

kad02002 said:

bearsandgiants said:

Actually, that's exactly what I'm presenting. That's sort of the whole point of the option in general - if you can't block them, don't. Option them instead. Army and Navy do not have the most gifted lines in the country and have no way possible to recruit them. The option allows you to get great line play without elite recruiting (which, in the end, is also what you are advocating for). So, yes, improving offensive line play is pretty much the entire theory and historical background of the option offense in general.
I realize it failed at Oregon State. That's Oregon State in the 90s, when most everyone else was either running the option or some form of power running scheme. Oregon State was also a historically inept program in a recruiting backwoods.
Want to know another historically inept program in a recruiting backwoods who implemented an option scheme during the same era? Kansas State. They were in worse shape with less tradition. And it turned them into a perennial conference champ contender and for a time even a national championship game threat.
And to be clear, the schemes I am suggesting are not going backwards. Army is the only one that really resembles something from the past. The rest are combining old and new schemes into something new. It's a chance to be innovative and at the forefront, rather than being a follower. Wouldn't that be nice??
This was the philosophy of hiring Sonny Dykes: running a different type of offense and recruiting for the system. We had one decent year and that was because we had a great QB that had been recruited by the prior coach.
calumnus
socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

What he knows is Oregon in the 90s when he played and what he knows is defense. His last two years there were with Tedford at OC, which is how he later got his first coaching job at Cal. At Cal is where he met Tosh. I don't really think he learned any offense back then. Or since.
ducktilldeath
socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

How in the WORLD is Oregon's offense "what he knows"?
Golden One
CNHTH said:

socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

We aren't, weren't and worst of all Wilcox isn't seeing this and adapting.

Sorry. But we don't have the best damn secondary in the nation. Not even close. But I agree that Wilcox doesn't adapt to the situation. He is very stubborn and inflexible. And maybe he is just dumb.
Golden One
ducktilldeath said:

socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

It's not obvious that Wilcox knows anything about offense.
calumnus
southseasbear said:

kad02002 said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

kad02002 said:

bearsandgiants said:

This was the philosophy of hiring Sonny Dykes: running a different type of offense and recruiting for the system. We had one decent year and that was because we had a great QB that had been recruited by the prior coach.

1st, Goff is a double legacy who grew up a Cal fan and was coming to Cal no matter what, but he signed with Dykes. Kline was the top QB inherited from Tedford.

2nd, we had a Top 10 offense, #1 in the PAC-12, the following year with Davis Webb. 28 first downs per game, third most in the country. Plus a great recruiting class. There was nothing really wrong with the offense in 2016. It was not "just Goff."

The defense was bad, though the 2015 and 2016 classes brought in by Kaufman were excellent and with DeReuyter coaching them up became Top 10.

Dykes himself was a bad fit for Cal. However, Sandy's idea of getting a innovator (relative, Air Raid was not new at that point) on offense was a good one. If paired with a good DC you have a winner.

I do think you cannot have your OC overly wedded to a system. College personnel vary from year to year. Recruit to your system but play to your strengths. Mouse Davis needed to adapt the Run n Shoot to include our best player, TE David Lewis. We went spread in 2006 with Nate Longshore, Marshawn Lynch, great TEs, a great OL, great FB and Desean Jackson and the Hawk. We should have been runnng outside power, mixed in with playaction bombs to Desean Jackson.

But in addition to being an offensive minded guy, we need a guy that is a great fit, who understands Cal in addition to being smart and creative. For me, the most logical source of smart people who understand and love Cal is Cal alums. However, it doesn't have to be. I am really impressed with Brennan Marion in his videos and his "Go Go Offense" which in his first year has UNLV with the #4 offense in the country. And kept it there when his QB1 left for more money. He is making $300k at UNLV.

Here is my dream. Rivera takes over while we pay off Wilcox and he hires Marion as OC with Marion the heir apparent. Or something, anything to get us out of this rut.
dimitrig
Golden One said:

ducktilldeath said:

socaltownie said:

CNHTH said:

We need to cut ties.
No more explanations.
Interested in this

It's not obvious that Wilcox knows anything about offense.

Or special teams

And I am questioning his knowledge of defense as well
Bowlesman80
pingpong2 said:

kad02002 said:

I challenge anyone to say what Cal's 3-4 go to or foundational plays are.
Pretty sure our go-to play is the first down run up the middle for 1-2 yards.
Better known as "Back Against a Wall."
"Just win, baby."
kad02002
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

kad02002 said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

kad02002 said:

bearsandgiants said:

1st, Goff is a double legacy who grew up a Cal fan and was coming to Cal no matter what, but he signed with Dykes. Kline was the top QB inherited from Tedford.

2nd, we had a Top 10 offense, #1 in the PAC-12, the following year with Davis Webb. 28 first downs per game, third most in the country. Plus a great recruiting class. There was nothing really wrong with the offense in 2016. It was not "just Goff."

The defense was bad, though the 2015 and 2016 classes brought in by Kaufman were excellent and with DeReuyter coaching them up became Top 10.

Dykes himself was a bad fit for Cal. However, Sandy's idea of getting a innovator (relative, Air Raid was not new at that point) on offense was a good one. If paired with a good DC you have a winner.

I do think you cannot have your OC overly wedded to a system. College personnel vary from year to year. Recruit to your system but play to your strengths. Mouse Davis needed to adapt the Run n Shoot to include our best player, TE David Lewis. We went spread in 2006 with Nate Longshore, Marshawn Lynch, great TEs, a great OL, great FB and Desean Jackson and the Hawk. We should have been runnng outside power, mixed in with playaction bombs to Desean Jackson.

But in addition to being an offensive minded guy, we need a guy that is a great fit, who understands Cal in addition to being smart and creative. For me, the most logical source of smart people who understand and love Cal is Cal alums. However, it doesn't have to be. I am really impressed with Brennan Marion in his videos and his "Go Go Offense" which in his first year has UNLV with the #4 offense in the country. And kept it there when his QB1 left for more money. He is making $300k at UNLV.

Here is my dream. Rivera takes over while we pay off Wilcox and he hires Marion as OC with Marion the heir apparent. Or something, anything to get us out of this rut.
Yes, THANK YOU. And I agree, out of my original list, Marion is an obvious and natural fit. Big time local ties including coaching in HS around here. Young. Plus, just marketing - Go Go offense sounds good and it will not immediately raise the eyebrows of those who don't believe in option football.

Think I'm crazy? Just watch which blue blood program poaches him from under our noses. Might be Oklahoma, who knows. And all of the sudden running the option will be normalized again. Why can't Cal get ahead of this and be at the forefront?? I've been shouting it out with the Coastal Carolina/Liberty guys for years, but it stagnated a bit (which should have been an opportunity for Cal to poach someone off of that staff) and now it might be the last chance.

One other point to add to the Dykes conversation - I agree the thought to hire him was logical because he had a real system. However, the Air Raid, spread, and hurry up were already pervasive as of that hire. It wasn't getting ahead of the game or gaining an advantage by being different, even if he was a master at the system.

But the hurry up, spread, passing oriented offenses naturally do not benefit the defense. Did anyone notice how completely exhausted our defense was at the end of these losses, especially against Miami? That's because we don't have the depth that these teams have. And of course it was a bigger issue in the Dykes era.

Hurry up/spread/up tempo will always be better when you have superior talent and depth, because it makes the game longer.

Option/running/ball control offense will always help even the playing field and benefit defenses, especially those with less depth, because it shortens the game.

With Tedford, when did he really have his best success? When he had that pro style running game rolling. He was a master at it and boy did they roll teams. Even with an all time great future Hall of Fame quarterback, they were a running and play action team at their core. Things started to go downhill when he went away from what he knows and incorporated too many spread concepts.

But the probability of finding another Tedford is low. The Shanahan tree guys are all in the NFL. Musgrave was an attempt at it, I think, but the degree of difficulty to execute that offense is high. You really need to hit some home runs with linemen who can do it all and top notch pocket quarterbacks. Everyone in the country is looking for those.

Option allows you to run the hell out of the ball with a tough, gritty, athletic quarterback (easier to find) and potentially undersized yet tough and athletic offensive linemen.

kad02002
Just to add a little more about UNLV/Marion - they got a transfer portal QB. He played well right away. He (famously) left mid-season. They put in the second stringer. He's doing great. He's got a 183 QB rating and 10-2 TD INT ratio. They are still winning. It's QB friendly!!

And they have a very good WR who looks like he will be drafted (unclear how high). So I really don't think this particular system would be a QB/WR turnoff.

Also, Marion came up doing this whole thing on his own from HS and the lower levels. He's THE master at this system, he's battle tested and knows the answers within his offense to what the defense presents. And that is really the key to option football (and any system oriented scheme).

So if anyone is picturing a boring, 3 yards and a cloud of dust style of offense, it really isn't what I am talking about. It's big play, explosive football.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.