Football Growls
Sponsored by

Cal May Have Already Botched the Tosh Lupoi Hire

1,860 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Be Better Bears
m2bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These guys nailed it.

And this was before the UNLV game.






Are they wrong?
jy1988
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They are dead-on. I hadn't thought of the comparison to Orgeron, but that is soooo true. The hiring should have been an open process looking at ALL possible candidates. And next, an offensive-minded coach, please.
Golden One
How long do you want to ignore this user?
m2bear said:

These guys nailed it.

And this was before the UNLV game.






Are they wrong?

Ouch!
concernedparent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jy1988 said:

They are dead-on. I hadn't thought of the comparison to Orgeron, but that is soooo true. The hiring should have been an open process looking at ALL possible candidates. And next, an offensive-minded coach, please.

Sonny Dyke was an offensive-minded coach. I just want a good coach.
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Temu Ed Orgeron. Ouch...but kinda funny and very accurate.
remb8888
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yep it is indeed a complete disaster
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The bit addresses inexperience with the OC, the DC, Special Teams, and no HC experience to boot.

But I thought Tosh had "all the contacts"?
And like Trump, he was only going to hire all the best people? I believe he said so in his announcement presser! People were already banging on his door.

So the OC Somerville had never called plays before other that 12 year old football?
philly1121
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, that wasn't good. Spot on piece. Interesting that they had JKS leaving, as did I. The fact that he returned meant that you had to bring in an o-line that was capable of protecting this kid. The fact that Tosh didn't, or that none of the guys he wanted actually decided to come to Cal suggests that something is amiss. And as we just saw this past Saturday, Clemson is not good.

Fire the OC, DC, and have Rivera, the magician, bring in guys that can get the job done - regardless of what Tosh wants.
concernedparent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

The bit addresses inexperience with the OC, the DC, Special Teams, and no HC experience to boot.

But I thought Tosh had "all the contacts"?
And like Trump, he was only going to hire all the best people? I believe he said so in his announcement presser! People were already banging on his door.

So the OC Somerville had never called plays before other that 12 year old football?

Giving Somerville the job was the moment I seriously questioned the Tosh hire. Hutchings you could kind of squint and make it make sense. He at least was a full-time position coach, played linebacker at the college level, and would serve under a defense minded HC. Somverille has been even worse than I could've even imagined. I thought with the sheer amount of talent we'd at least eek out a below average offense.
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concernedparent said:

concordtom said:

The bit addresses inexperience with the OC, the DC, Special Teams, and no HC experience to boot.

But I thought Tosh had "all the contacts"?
And like Trump, he was only going to hire all the best people? I believe he said so in his announcement presser! People were already banging on his door.

So the OC Somerville had never called plays before other that 12 year old football?

Giving Somerville the job was the moment I seriously questioned the Tosh hire. Hutchings you could kind of squint and make it make sense. He at least was a full-time position coach, played linebacker at the college level, and would serve under a defense minded HC. Somverille has been even worse than I could've even imagined. I thought with the sheer amount of talent we'd at least eek out a below average offense.

And perhaps not surprisingly, the defense has been reasonably competent while the offense is a trash fire.
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

Temu Ed Orgeron. Ouch...but kinda funny and very accurate.

The guy who won a Nattie?
cbadbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was thinking the same thing. Thought about the Orgeron comparison a long time ago, but realized it loses a lot of oomph considering the Natty.
01Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They only thing they got wrong was that Tosh's incompetence was revealed after a month of football games. It was revealed during the UCLA game. At that point, it was already clear Cal botched the hire and needed to take immediate action to rectify it, including by demoting or replacing Temu Ed Orgeron.
StarsDoMatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?


This is what Tosh needs to do. Not wait around but be proactive. Somerville needed to be GONE yesterday
82gradDLSdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Temu Ed Orgeron. Ouch...but kinda funny and very accurate.

The guy who won a Nattie?


Hence the TEMU prefix. I'm sure Cal fans would love a NC but his short HC career was filled with craziness and erratic behavior and hirings. I guess if anyone can duplicate an Orgeron type of career it would be Tosh. But it was at a football school which Cal is not.
ac_green33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

wifeisafurd said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Temu Ed Orgeron. Ouch...but kinda funny and very accurate.

The guy who won a Nattie?


Hence the TEMU prefix. I'm sure Cal fans would love a NC but his short HC career was filled with craziness and erratic behavior and hirings. I guess if anyone can duplicate an Orgeron type of career it would be Tosh. But it was at a football school which Cal is not.

You have to give him the credit for recruiting the players, but that 2019 LSU team might be the most talented college football team of all-time. Heck, Tosh might've won a natty with that team
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concernedparent said:

concordtom said:

The bit addresses inexperience with the OC, the DC, Special Teams, and no HC experience to boot.

But I thought Tosh had "all the contacts"?
And like Trump, he was only going to hire all the best people? I believe he said so in his announcement presser! People were already banging on his door.

So the OC Somerville had never called plays before other that 12 year old football?

Giving Somerville the job was the moment I seriously questioned the Tosh hire. Hutchings you could kind of squint and make it make sense. He at least was a full-time position coach, played linebacker at the college level, and would serve under a defense minded HC. Somverille has been even worse than I could've even imagined. I thought with the sheer amount of talent we'd at least eek out a below average offense.

At the time, the only thing I could imagine that would justify the hire is that, the year they both worked at Oregon, Somerville really, really, really impressed Tosh as an offensive mind and that he figured JS really got a lot out of his, what, 2-3 years in the NFL. I figured that folks around football had him pegged as a future star and that we were getting him before somebody else snapped him up.

And I actually rationalized it like that. Otherwise, why hire him? There had to be a reason.. I guess.
JimSox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

The bit addresses inexperience with the OC, the DC, Special Teams, and no HC experience to boot.

But I thought Tosh had "all the contacts"?
And like Trump, he was only going to hire all the best people? I believe he said so in his announcement presser! People were already banging on his door.

So the OC Somerville had never called plays before other that 12 year old football?


I think it wasn't 12-year old football. I think he said UNDER 12.
Be Better Bears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jy1988 said:

They are dead-on. I hadn't thought of the comparison to Orgeron, but that is soooo true. The hiring should have been an open process looking at ALL possible candidates. And next, an offensive-minded coach, please.

Orgeron would have been a good hire.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.