The Ambrose Hire is Official

13,048 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by tjohnzon
surewest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010411aab.html
easdog1
Sweet, come on, Ashley! Help us land McClure and Wright at DB.
SactoBear
Welcome Mr. Ambrose and I with concur with easdog's statement. :p
Cal_Fan2
drunkoski;448727 said:

not to spoil the festivities but this worries me:

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/20/0221ambrose.html

Ambrose was confronted on Feb. 9 by his wife, Monica E. Ambrose, 33, about marital problems when Ambrose became enraged, according to the report. Monica Ambrose told police that her husband said he was going to kill her and pushed her in the face, according to the report. Ashley Ambrose then threw a glass vase at her after she struck him back in self-defense, according to the report.

When she went for a cell phone to call 911, Ashley's brother, Naim Shakir, 24, tackled her and held her down while Ashley Ambrose kicked her in the side and hit her in the face, according to the report.

Well the article said his main focus in on discipline....LOL

Quote:

I'm going to focus on discipline and doing everything I can to help our student-athletes graduate from school, experience success on the football field at Cal, and teach them what it takes to be able to have the opportunity to fulfill their dreams of playing at the next level."

"....oh, and by the way, I kill you drunkoski....."
cyrusthebear
drunkoski;448727 said:

http://www.ajc.com/falcons/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/02/20/0221ambrose.html

Ambrose was confronted on Feb. 9 by his wife, Monica E. Ambrose, 33, about marital problems when Ambrose became enraged, according to the report. Monica Ambrose told police that her husband said he was going to kill her and pushed her in the face, according to the report. Ashley Ambrose then threw a glass vase at her after she struck him back in self-defense, according to the report.

When she went for a cell phone to call 911, Ashley's brother, Naim Shakir, 24, tackled her and held her down while Ashley Ambrose kicked her in the side and hit her in the face, according to the report.

Strange. I've done some extensive searching online and the transcript you posted above is THE ONLY example of Ambrose's arrest. To me, the events in this article are unsubstantiated, and we have no idea what really went on. This article is constantly posted over and over again and I don't think it is helpful that we continue this pattern.

Does someone have any info other than this snippet? I don't see any indication of arrest, charges, etc.
GoCal80
The press release does present a rosier (and hopefully more representative) picture:

"He has long been active in community service, as he developed the "Ashley Ambrose All-A's Club" that rewarded high school football players who excelled academically. He also participated in VH-1's Save the Music program and in the NFL United Way Hometown Huddle campaign among the many things he did as a professional, which included donating hundreds of tickets to scholar-athletes."
dupdadee
Need more info, but based on that article alone, ouch....

Where is NorCalBuff? Need more input from him or other Buffalo fans.
maxer
drunkoski;448747 said:

you expect a little known defensive back to have reports of his arrest other places than the home town newspaper?

Public records should be available somewhere (arrest report and disposition of the case).
cyrusthebear
are you going to believe everything you read? Online for that matter?
68great
Cal_Fan2;448737 said:

Well the article said his main focus in on discipline....LOL

"....oh, and by the way, I kill you drunkoski....."

I will track you down and I will kill you.
XTasy
drunkoski;448727 said:

This is exactly FIRE we need on this team!
A sense of urgency and some EMOTION!

:rimshot:
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA
Objection. Improper character evidence. Lacks relevance. Hearsay.

If the statements are true, let's just hope that he's learned from his mistakes and has received some sort of anger management treatment.
grrrrah
easdog1;448718 said:

Sweet, come on, Ashley! Help us land McClure and Wright at DB.

McClure thread from AllBuffs back in Sept: http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/44889-11-CA-CB-Stefan-McClure

Quote: "It was an interview with the Rivals CSU guy and McClure was talking about how he and his dad like the state. He then volunteered the following:

"CU has (defensive coach Ashley) Ambrose was in the NFL for 13 years and they know what they are doing too.""

A good pre-existing relationship between Ambrose and McClure can't hurt.
SactoBear
Wouldn't you think Tedford and company would've looked at this and thought it through before offering Ambrose?
cyrusthebear
drunkoski;448769 said:

Personally i don't think it's worth the risk. An additional arrest given the past would reflect very poorly on the university and our staff. surely we can find coaches without arrest records.

You don't know what risk there is because realistically, you have no idea what happened there, do you?
Cal_Fan2
grrrrah;448765 said:

McClure thread from AllBuffs back in Sept: http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/44889-11-CA-CB-Stefan-McClure

Quote: "It was an interview with the Rivals CSU guy and McClure was talking about how he and his dad like the state. He then volunteered the following:

"CU has (defensive coach Ashley) Ambrose was in the NFL for 13 years and they know what they are doing too.""

Nice catch....I"m sure McClure and his dad know all about this by now.... great....may lock him down for us......
cyrusthebear
drunkoski;448781 said:

I have a pretty good idea he was accused of domestic violence with a very specific charge. that's enough for me. play the odds buddy. or are you of the belief that most domestic violence charges are made up?

I am saying that you have no idea if these charges stuck, if he was acquitted, if the charges were dropped, or if his wife just had a really bad day. I'd say give him the benefit of the doubt before branding the man as a criminal.
jesterno2
grrrrah;448765 said:

Wow, a lot of great info on that thread and sounds like he is really high on Ambrose. If this results in landing McClure, who sounds like an absolute beast, it could be considered a +1 for the decision already. Time will tell if it continues to go well, but I'd say it sounds promising so far...
GMP
drunkoski;448781 said:

I have a pretty good idea he was accused of domestic violence with a very specific charge. that's enough for me. play the odds buddy. or are you of the belief that most domestic violence charges are made up?

I'm so glad you have a new fixation.
Bearfan90
If one doesn't know all the details, its probably not good to rush to judgement.

I remember Jason Kidd pleading guilty to domestic violence. Later on it came out years later that his wife was a bit of a psycho. If reading all the stuff from the divorce papers were true, you could almost understand why he losted it after awhile dealing with her.

Not saying this is the case here but there's probably more to the story.
Shocky1
Since I'm the one who brought this issue up this morning on the premium board, I just would like to remind everyone (including DO) that being arrested in NOT the same as being proven guilty.

JT is a VERY conservative guy and I'm very confident that since the actual facts of that situation have been reviewed and discussed and JT has still hired him, then I am 100% behind Coach Ambrose.

I used to play a lot of golf at our summer club in Flagstaff and was good friends with the Phoenix Suns team shrink (before he suddenly passed on) and believe me, a lot of the allegations against Jason Kidd were absolutely not true.

So let's put this issue to rest and welcome Coach Ambrose to the Bears family.

Coach Simmons work with Cal is appreciated but the reality is that our DBs have regressed the last two years (only 9 interceptions last year, can't even think of any jarring DB hits/strips that resulted in fumbles) and the decisions to bench our best ballhawk Cattouse and failure to recongize Conte as a safety until his senior year are not part of the highly elite defense that General Clancy is building.

50 year old coaches often can't relate well, texting and facebook, with potential recruits as well as younger coaches. We need Coach Ambrose to successfully bring in McClure and Wright this year and Shaq Thompson and Tee Shepard in 2012.

When a coach with over 40 NFL interceptions explains how to look back for the ball (unlike the Gregory philosphy), our DBs are going to listen and I expect more turnovers by opponents next season.

Go Bears!
rollonubears
According to a poster in the comments on CGB, the charges were dismissed by the prosecution. He has a link to the court docs. Case closed.
jesterno2
Shocky1;448849 said:

Since I'm the one who brought this issue up this morning on the premium board, I just would like to remind everyone (including DO) that being arrested in NOT the same as being proven guilty.

JT is a VERY conservative guy and I'm very confident that since the actual facts of that situation have been reviewed and discussed and JT has still hired him, then I am 100% behind Coach Ambrose.

I used to play a lot of golf at our summer club in Flagstaff and was good friends with the Phoenix Suns team shrink (before he suddenly passed on) and believe me, a lot of the allegations against Jason Kidd were absolutely not true.

So let's put this issue to rest and welcome Coach Ambrose to the Bears family.

Coach Simmons work with Cal is appreciated but the reality is that our DBs have regressed the last two years (only 9 interceptions last year, can't even think of any jarring DB hits/strips that resulted in fumbles) and the decisions to bench our best ballhawk Cattouse and failure to recongize Conte as a safety until his senior year are not part of the highly elite defense that General Clancy is building.

50 year old coaches often can't relate well, texting and facebook, with potential recruits as well as younger coaches. We need Coach Ambrose to successfully bring in McClure and Wright this year and Shaq Thompson and Tee Shepard in 2012.

When a coach with over 40 NFL interceptions explains how to look back for the ball (unlike the Gregory philosphy), our DBs are going to listen and I expect more turnovers by opponents next season.

Go Bears!

Big +1
CrimsonBear
Agreed. Let's judge Coach Ambrose on the play of the DBs instead of an arrest that did not lead to a charge by the DA's office.

I do not get too excited by all the changes in the staff one way or the other. I'll wait to see the performance on the field. I remember hoping that Marshall would use his NFL experience to really improve our OL. Oh well, we know how that worked out. On the other side, I thought JT paniced a bit and hired an inexperienced Tosh Lupoi to be our DL coach. Oh well, we know how that worked out.

Pretty tough to tell how these new assistants are going to do.
Blueblood

Uhhh...guys....didn't Mr. Up-n-down Riley throw four TDs and 197 yards against Colorado's defensive backs?....Why....uhhh....Ambrose?....I mean out of all the available defensive coaches.....this is a weird hire......I'm only a'sayin'......
RaphaelAglietti
drunkosi, I am very sympathetic to the plight of women being abused. That being said I would also alert you to read some of the stories of women with borderline personality disorder who have fabricated abuse, child molestation, and kidnapping charges against their spouses or ex-spouses.

That doesn't mean I believe that Ambrose was necessarily innocent or his wife withdrew the charges under coercion or guilt.

Domestic abuse is not a one way street ...
jesterno2
Blueblood;448935 said:

Uhhh...guys....didn't Mr. Up-n-down Riley throw four TDs and 197 yards against Colorado's defensive backs?....Why....uhhh....Ambrose?....I mean out of all the available defensive coaches available.....this is a weird hire......I'm only a'sayin'......

According to some buffs fans there secondary was vastly improved by the end of the season. The stats are kinda ugly:

- 136 yards, 0 TDs against Iowa St
- 252, 2 TDs against Kansas
- 270 yards, 2 TDS against K St.
- only 80 yards, 2 TDs against Nebraska

but Jimmy Smith made 1st team All Big 12 and some of that was attributed to Ambrose.
maxer
If the District Attorney's office declined to prosecute the case, we can conclude that there was not enough evidence to obtain a conviction. The fact that he didn't plead to a lesser charge (which is what usually happens when *something*, but not necessarily what the victim claims happened, has been determined to have happened) suggests to me that there was not a strong factual basis for this arrest.

Ashley Ambrose was arrested for something, the usual outcome when the police are called to a domestic situation (arrest first, sort it out later). Not only was he not convicted of a crime, he was not even CHARGED with a crime. That's good enough for me.
Our Domicile
I say "let bygones be bygones", "innocent until proven guilty" and give this guy a (second?) chance to prove himself as a Coach, a teacher and a human being who has learned from his mistakes and is hopefully willing to teach others to avoid those mistakes, both on and off the field.

Welcome to Cal, AA! Hope it works out for ya!

:beer:
SoCalBear323
drunkoski;448781 said:

Actually, a good number of them are. There's some crazy vengeful women out there.
elpbear
rollonubears;448896 said:

According to a poster in the comments on CGB, the charges were dismissed by the prosecution. He has a link to the court docs. Case closed.
Here's the post (from Ohio Bear), for reference:
Quote:

According to Gwinnett County (Ga.) court records, Ambrose was not convicted on those charges. The charges were nolle prosequi’d (i.e., dismissed: http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/#casedetail/case:07-d-03195-s5/) by the prosecution in August 2007.

It is not uncommon for charges to be nolle’d by the prosecution when a defendant pleads guilty to a lesser offense. But there is no indication that happened here. Unless I’m missing something in these records, each charge against Ambrose appears to have been nolle’d and the record does not show a guilty plea to anything else.

Incidentally, Ambrose and his wife divorced in 2008 (http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/#casedetail/case:07-d-03195-s5/).
Blueblood

"Tedford, Tedford, Tedoford..???"
510Bear
XTasy;448761 said:

This is exactly FIRE we need on this team!
A sense of urgency and some EMOTION!

:rimshot:

Oh hell yeah! You think this guy would tolerate Cal losing at home to Furd 45-0 after three quarters? I don't think so!
liverflukes

Don't let our posts ever get you down. Teach our players how to be better students and football players. Encourage, motivate, develop and win at the best public university in this great land. GO BEARS!
93gobears
I once dated a very HOT but psychotic young woman. We once had an argument during which I went out onto my balcony to cool off and get away from her. She proceeded to lock the balcony door, call the police and claim I abused her.

The cops showed up, put me in hand-cuffs and immediatley tried to shove me off to Jail. It wasn't until I showed them the cat claws on my face that they reacted differently. We both spent the night in jail and the DA chose not to prosecute.

Women do use a Domestic Violence call as a tool and a weapon, be it just or unjust.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.