Gldnbear71: 1947-2012. RIP

30,852 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by burritos
RollinBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is very sad news. My condolences to his family.

You will be missed GB71.

R.I.P.

Cal88
Very sad news, I was hoping Gary would get better after Blueblood first posted about his illness not too long ago.

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary and Jill during the few fan grassroots events the athletic department put together in the early JT years, a true blue couple. His presence will be dearly missed in the south endzone and on the Cal boards.

My condolences to Jill and the Moore family, R.I.P. Gary.

Go Bears.
CaliforniaUberAlles
R.I.P. GB71. I'm sorry you never got your Rose Bowl.
OBear073akaSMFan
Very Sad news! I've always enjoyed his takes here and on the original board. RIP GB71..you will not be forgotten!
ncbears
GB71 will be missed.
RIP Mr. Moore.
elpbear
RIP GB71, and condolences to family and friends.
FiatSlug
Larry,

Thanks for reporting on Gary's passing. I only met the man a couple of times, but knew much more about him from interacting with him on this board and its antecedents going all the way back to the FansOnly site back in '96 (I believe). I also met Jill on those occasions and my heart goes out to her and her family on their immeasurable loss.

I'm a richer person for having had the privilege of interacting with Gary. I'm sure that others feel the same way.

RIP, Gary Moore. It was my honor to have met you in this life. I hope to see you in the next.

David Dempster
Berkeley, CA
Jill70
<One memory I have is a phone discussion we had during the '06 or '07 season, we talked for a while about Rugby, and Cal football. At some point he mentioned that he had never been to the Rose Bowl to watch any sort of game, ever. That same year I had plans to go with my cousin(Bruin grad), and asked Gary if he wanted to tag along. We were all planning to go, but with one twist of events after another, none of us made it that year. I never did think to ask if he ever made it to the Rosebowl Stadium.>

He actually did make it to the Rose Bowl for the 2008 game with fUCLA. We picked up our youngest son from UC Santa Barbara to go with us. We had a great week-end. Seems like of the few road trips were we actually won the game!
CalWBBFan
So sad to hear this news. May he rest in peace.
Schroeder71
He's from the San Jose area but the traveling to games or practices never phased him. I met him back in the Holmoe era. His wife frequently was alongside. He offered me rides and shared his shortcuts. Most of all, he was devoted to Cal and Cal athletics.

RIP, GB71! I'll miss you, my friend. GO BEARS!

Wholeheartedly agree!
bencgilmore
Rough. RIP, a loyal bear to the end.
RaphaelAglietti
RIP GB71

Bearinsider didn't get to where it is today without posters like GB71.
86Oski
I'm very sorry to hear of Gary's passing. My condolences go out to his family and his friends.

I never met him in person, but I, like the rest of the board, will miss his posts here.
LegoBear
You could always tell GB71 really thought about his posts before he wrote them.

Roll on you Bears, Gary Moore.
LethalFang
One of my all-time favorite posts on CyberBears. Glad I was able to find it.

Click: What Uncle Gandalf Teaches Us About Trolls --- by GldnBear71
Calntheplay
Jill70;841958833 said:

<One memory I have is a phone discussion we had during the '06 or '07 season, we talked for a while about Rugby, and Cal football. At some point he mentioned that he had never been to the Rose Bowl to watch any sort of game, ever. That same year I had plans to go with my cousin(Bruin grad), and asked Gary if he wanted to tag along. We were all planning to go, but with one twist of events after another, none of us made it that year. I never did think to ask if he ever made it to the Rosebowl Stadium.>

He actually did make it to the Rose Bowl for the 2008 game with fUCLA. We picked up our youngest son from UC Santa Barbara to go with us. We had a great week-end. Seems like of the few road trips were we actually won the game!

Jill that makes me happy that he was able to make it down south, and it makes me even happier that we won! Good times. We'll see you at one of the up coming games Jill, stay in good spirits!

GO BEARS!
Tree Cutter
Wow, too young.

RIP Golden Bear.
vmfa531
God Speed
calbearsfaninsac
Rip
Trojan Warrior
Ldbcalbear;841958427 said:

Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

Very sad to hear. Gary attended our tailgates on a few occasions and was a really nice gentle person. He and I would entertain each other on the boards, and obviously some of you as well. He was always easy to spot with his old floppy fisherman style hat.

RIP, Gary, and may your family find comfort as well.
SiniCal

Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64...

I hate this thread, and that Gary's life ended. Due praise given from all his cybear imaginary friends, fine, hopefully thereafter *our* loss is somehow lessened.

But what comfort were we to '71 in his fading last days/weeks/months, or to his caregiver family? Best I can figure the last time he even visited this board was in May..
> Last Activity: 05-14-2012 07:31 AM

Respect his gifts to the internet, fine. Share some fancy words might be read by grieving family (so very sorry for your loss Jill) but none of that gonna stretch to the great bit bucket in the sky.

Shoot, shoot, shoot, I never showed up at his front door to try to give comfort neither.

Take note y'all, this is how alleged Growls friendships end.

NVGolfingBear

Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

Larry, sorry to hear this sad news. I know you we're very close to GB71 and travelled to many games to enjoy them with your friend.

My condolences to you and the Moore family.
Deutsch
Wholly agree, he will be missed. R.I.P.
igbear
Sad day. I always admired his posts. RIP.
LA Duck
Don't post here or anywhere (other than the Wildwest, perhaps) much anymore, but when I saw that Gldnbear71 had passed on, I had to pay my respects to a person I consider a terrific and loyal Bear.

Knowing him through the various incarnations of fan message boards since 1997 or so, we didn't always see eye-to-eye, but I always respected Gary and his viewpoints...even those posts of his that were less than supportive of Mike Bellotti and the Oregon Ducks.

He will certainly be missed by me and by many others of us faceless posters who similarly felt a kinship to a guy with the intense passion to bleed as much as we fans all do for our respective universities...albeit in slightly different shades of colors.

RIP, Gldnbear71--where you are now there are much, much better things than a Rose Bowl.

Go Bears.

LA Duck
MinotStateBeav
Very sad news. GB71 has been around since I've been posting on the old scout boards. I'm sorry that he's no longer with us.

GO BEARS GB71.
CJ Loves Cal
calumnus;841958491 said:

Larry, thanks for letting us know. He was a great Bear. My condolences to you and the Moore family.

Are you going to be at the ASU game? I'd like to get together and drink a toast to Gary.

Hi calumnus-

Larry's not on these boards much anymore so I'll take the liberty of answering for him. He won't be at ASU or ucla due to work commitments, but will be at the big game and maybe a couple of the later ones. You can email him - ldbcalbear@aol.com.

I know from Gary's family that Gary didn't want any kind of memorial, but I think it would be great if some of us from this board could get together and just toast him this saturday. I've been thinking about making my way to his old seats- just above the old south tunnel, behind the south endzone- in the final minutes of the 4th quarter, watching the end of the game and the post game show from there is his honor, and drinking a special toast to him before leaving. Would be delighted to join with others in doing something like that.
OskiMD
I saw this message from Gldnbear71's son on the Scout board and thought folks here would like to see it (sorry if it's a Booth but I haven't seen it posted here yet):

Quote:

Gary Moore, also known as GldnBear71 passed away yesterday (9/23/12) after fighting cancer for the last year. He was my dad, and having seen him so many times over the years staying up into the wee hours of the night posting to these boards and heckling people just to get a rise out of them, I can tell you how much he loved it and loved this community. Thank you all for your support and prayers during this time. And even though I am a bulldog, I was raised on Cal football, so Go Bears! (and bulldogs.)

oldblu86
GB71 was always the voice of passion, yet reason. I have been on here since the beginning of the old CyberBears, and a bit before. I always valued GB71's contributions - very rational and knowledgable, and always clicked on his posts to see what he had to say about various issues Re: Cal football. I will be there this Saturday vs. ASU, and would love to meet up with fellow CyberBears to drink a toast to Mr. Moore. R.I.P.
grumpybear
You will be missed
BearyWhite
cjbarker;841959776 said:

Hi calumnus-

Larry's not on these boards much anymore so I'll take the liberty of answering for him. He won't be at ASU or ucla due to work commitments, but will be at the big game and maybe a couple of the later ones. You can email him - ldbcalbear@aol.com.

I know from Gary's family that Gary didn't want any kind of memorial, but I think it would be great if some of us from this board could get together and just toast him this saturday. I've been thinking about making my way to his old seats- just above the old south tunnel, behind the south endzone- in the final minutes of the 4th quarter, watching the end of the game and the post game show from there is his honor, and drinking a special toast to him before leaving. Would be delighted to join with others in doing something like that.
you might think of starting a new post re: this, to make sure everyone sees it; sounds like a really nice idea
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA
Same age as my dad. RIP. He will be missed.
JerseyBear
RIP GB71, you'll be missed...
WantARoseBowlB4IDie
I am truly saddened by this news, Larry. I always admired the thought process of GB71 and enjoyed his posts and his passion for all things Cal, something we both share. Prayers to his family and friends in this trying hour. One thing we can be sure of - he'll have the best seats in the house and we'll feel his spirit soar if and when the football program ever does get back to the Rose Bowl.

Godspeed Gary - R.I.P.
CalBear68
As a fellow member of the old GoBears mailing list, I came to know GB71 over the years mainly through his posts, but we did get together once at Kip's before a game when he needed a game ticket and we had an extra. We of course saw each other frequently at Cal sporting events. It won't be the same without him. RIP.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.