Gldnbear71: 1947-2012. RIP

30,677 Views | 138 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by burritos
Ldbcalbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw that post too over on Cal Sports Digest. I think it was written by Gary's youngest daughter. She's the only one of his kids I know of that went to Fresno State.

LDB
sambear
RIP Gldnbear71
geebear
RIP - he will be missed.
txwharfrat
I never got to meet Gary but felt I knew him through his posts. His thoughtful insights and contributions here will be greatly missed. RIP.
XXXBEAR
Next to Wifeisafurd...
AirOski
Ldbcalbear;841958427 said:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Sad news indeed.
FCBear
Thoughts and prayers for all...always sad to hear...
CalBearJim
Opinion after opinion.perspective after perspective. I can't really remember if he was a negabear or sunshine pumper. Doesn't really matter. I only remember that he had worthwhile things to share with us. The saddest moment ever for this board. My heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones.
Cal8285
Been a few weeks since I looked at Growls, and I see the sticky for this thread. Sad news indeed.

I met Gary 2 or 3 times. Went over to his seat once, maybe 12 years ago, because he was giving me a copy of an article by the late Wells Twombly about the late Joe Roth. I pulled out that article in the summer of 2009 after my best friend and a great Cal Bear passed away from brain cancer at age 49 with no Rose Bowl in his lifetime. I pulled it out again in January 2011 after a very good friend passed away from pancreatic cancer at age 53, another great Cal Bear, one who didn't miss a home game from the beginning of 1972 until he got too sick in November 2010, almost 38 full seasons, with no Rose Bowl in his time as a Cal fan.

I guess I'd better go pull it out again, in memory of the guy who gave it to me. Thanks, and RIP Gldnbear71.
DeusEx
Oh wow, I did not know about this until now.

i want to thank Gldbnbear71, or Gary, for something he gave me. Gary was the reason why I got to experience my first Big Game (10'). As a freshman, I was trying to find Big Game tickets the week of the game, I don't remember but either student tickets were sold out or regular tickets were too expensive, but I ended up seeing Gldbnbear71's post here on BI, and decided to message him. Long story short, the ticket he has was already sold, but he had an extra ticket lying around that had not been sold, and he messaged me that it was mine if the buyer didn't respond back in time. Due to Gary's generosity, I ended up meeting Gary and his wife Jill and got to sit with them and watch the 2010 Big Game at a pre-renovated Memorial. Even though we eventually got crushed by a team who was led by the eventual number one pick in the NFL draft, Andrew Luck, it was my first big game, and an experience to remember. Rest in peace Gary, and thank you so much for this, and my deepest condolences to you, Jill.
Dark Reverie
I thought I would come by and pay my respects. I know it's a bit late, but even though I did not know him or of him, I offer my deepest sympathies to his family and all those who knew him. I will keep you all in my prayers.
calwatch
I remember him from the old cyberbears.org forums, which I would read instead of doing my engineering problem sets. Rest in peace.
Ypsilantian
Very Sad News. I remember GB71 from the early days of cyberbears and always appreciated his insight as well as his devotion to Cal. He will be sorely missed.
Rushinbear
Ldbcalbear;841958427 said:

Dear Cal Fans:

It's my sad and somber duty to report that Gary Moore, who was known throughout the Cal cyber community as Gldnbear71, died today after a lengthy battle against appendix cancer. He was 64.

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

Sorry to hear it. His posts were always thoughtful and interesting. May he rest in peace with God.
saltybear
Thanks for sharing this; it's awesome
I loved his posts always, salty and plainspoken, defending the board vs. many types of idiocy. I had wondered why he hadn't been around much lately.
I'm late to this funeral as I haven't been posting, but I will raise a glass tonight to this late comrade I've never met.
pappysghost
Really sorry to hear this. I enjoyed reading his posts. Seemed like a great guy.
TahoBear
God bless you Gary Moore - GB71 !!

We will miss you............a Sturdy Golden Bear!!

Give my Dad a hug and a "Gooooooooooooooooo Bears!" Even though he was a a Notre Dame fan........St. Peter will "get it".

GO BEARS!
TahoBear
God bless you Gary Moore - GB71 !!

We will miss you............a Sturdy Golden Bear!!

Give my Dad a hug and a "Gooooooooooooooooo Bears!"

Even though he is probably a Notre Dame fan........St. Peter will "get it".

GO BEARS!
BearBacker_Cal
What a lovely tribute. God bless you and his family. So sorry for your loss.
Cal Junkie
Still miss Gary Moore and think about him daily. This season would not sit well with him ... at all.
smh
davetdds said:

Like retireing a # in sports, we should retire " handles " in a BI Hall of Fame. What say you GreyBear
sniff
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Mama Bear
Just caught up with the news that Gary Moore died. Thanks for your lovely tribute Larry--you captured the man, father, grandpa, and dear friend perfectly. Condolences Jill, know you will have a lump in your throat when next you attend a game in Memorial Stadium--a tough day to watch a game without a beloved husband.

I'm blown away by all the kind remarks by so many old friends on this post, and how we respected the interactions with Gldnbear71. Gary's posts were well thought out, and even if you disagreed they were solid.

Gary is safe and sound in the presence of late, respected Golden Bear fans. I choose to think there is a hereafter, and at my age I look forward to some lively exchanges. RIP Gary Moore

oskidunker
A link to his old posts would be great.
Go Bears!
smh
oskidunker said:

A link to his old posts would be great.
https://bearinsider.com/account/profile/1332

^ fingers crossed ^
XXXBEAR
Adios GB71.

And thanks for posting.
GivemTheAxe
Ldbcalbear said:

Dear Cal Fans:

Gary Leon Moore grew up in Visalia. He graduated from Mt. Whitney High School in 1965 and from College of The Sequoias in 1967, then matriculated to Berkeley where he earned his bachelors degree in engineering in 1971. At Cal he met his future wife, the former Jill Mickelberry. He is survived by her, by their children Mike, Tom, Sarah, Teresa and Danny, and five grandchildren.

Gary was a diehard and loyal Cal fan who attended numerous Golden Bear games, both home and away. For football he always liked to sit in the endzone so he could see how the plays developed. He was a frequent poster on the various Cal fora on the Internet, from the old GoBears mailing list to Cyberbears.org to The Bear Insider. He loved Cal and wasn't afraid to say so. He'd take on Trojan Warrior or any other poster who dared to say anything bad about his beloved Golden Bears, let them have it with both barrels and put them in their place. I loved reading his posts.

And he was one of my best friends. We went to many Cal games together, and often met at Kips or LaVals for pizza, ravioli and beer after Golden Bear home games. I visited him often at his cabin in the Sierra above Bass Lake, where we would watch videos of Cal games and talk at length about the Golden Bears, or sports in general or anything else. We had a lot of fun on those trips. Spending a week with him up there was the highlight of my summer for over a decade.

Gary Moore was a loyal Californian who's heart was strong and bold. I'm sure has already been greeted in heaven by my dad and the many loyal Cal fans there. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Larry Barker
Fallon, NV

Thanks for the posting. It is sad to read this Bio but it is poignant to hear the life story of a true Bear fan. Also I matriculated from HS in Fresno In 1963. I had some friends who were born and raised in Visalia. My prayers are with Gary's family and friends.
joe amos yaks
Up you go Gldnbear71.
... and go Bears !
PRD74
Sincerest Condolences. Very sad news.
Big C

Gldnbear71 was a great and prolific poster here. Um, you guys noted that it was eight years ago that he passed away, right?
92GoBears92
There have been a few posts recently that this has happened to... just curious as to why.
Btw I remember his posts too and very much enjoyed reading his opinions.
Big C

"Somebody" goes into the archives and brings them back to life, because some things in our collective history merit revisiting.
smh
Big C said:

"Somebody" goes into the archives and brings them back to life, because some things in our collective history merit revisiting.
^ like

jhbchristopher
RIP Gldnbear71
oskidunker
Im glad you are not here to see this mess we are in.
Go Bears!
burritos
HaasBear04 said:

Yup rest in peace. Damn shame we couldnt get a rosebowl for him.
Being a Cal FB fan is immeasurably more valuable for the heart and the soul than a 100 RB's imho. RIP GB71

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.