Reading Beautween the Lines and QB Situation

23,657 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Yogi58
6956bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearlyClad;842863180 said:

I watched Baldwin's games a number of times with EWU. His team came out in the second half with a totally different look, changed scheme, etc. Surprised me because it was very noticeable. I concluded he was adjusting extremely well to whatever happened in the first half. It does not surprise that he would also try to use the players he has in whatever place he thinks can work on the attack, to win.

When you are better you can line up and simply have your superior players out perform their inferior opponent. But when you are at the disadvantage good coaching and tactics become more important. But perhaps even more important is realizing you need to adjust in game and not being wedded to a philosophy that is not working. We saw that with Art Kaufman these past 2 seasons. Afraid to adjust or change tactics. And the Bears got roasted. They may have anyway, but it was worth a try. Baldwin could do these things as the HC, will he have the same freedom as the OC?
CalBear04
It's been a year since we tried to figure out the next great Cal QB and how far they can take this team.

Brandon is now in for certain packages. Garbers is now starting. Where will we end the year?

Not surprised that Garbers is the starter. He could have played last year and we would have taken some lumps. We may end up taking those this year instead.

Beau in today's video (see below) clearly feels we are a LONG way away from where we need to be. Garbers may be the best overall talent, and a year in he still doesn't have close to mastery of the playbook.

He's done dual QBs before with Vernon Adams. Beau may prefer to rotate QBs so that each can focus on specific concepts and plays instead of trying to get all 3 up to speed on everything he wants to do.

Biggest question, can this offense continue to grow every week now that he has QBs with higher ceilings? Will we be in for more of the same this year?

Yogi58

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.