Official Questions About Board Features Thread

53,229 Views | 111 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are OT threads now banned from the Football growls forum?

I just noticed a curious lack of them (also noticed that Cal Strong's thread disappeared into the Off Topic thread).
75bear
okaydo said:

I just noticed a curious lack of them (also noticed that Cal Strong's thread disappeared into the Off Topic thread).

First rule of OT threads is don't talk about OT threads.
Sebastabear
okaydo said:

Thank God. Not sure why BI needs to be a platform for some performance artist and his fake girlfriend.
GoBears635
Sebastabear said:

Like the new site, but put my in the camp of folks who,would like to see the avatars viewable in the thread without clicking on the poster's name. I would always just quickly scan down a page to see if there were avatars of people who I followed. I'd read their posts. Similarly I could easily avoid reading posts of others (ahem). New system is slower (and I miss seeing my blue apple).
I miss seeing your blue apple as well. It was always so apropos.
Sebastabear
GoBears635 said:

Sebastabear said:

Like the new site, but put my in the camp of folks who,would like to see the avatars viewable in the thread without clicking on the poster's name. I would always just quickly scan down a page to see if there were avatars of people who I followed. I'd read their posts. Similarly I could easily avoid reading posts of others (ahem). New system is slower (and I miss seeing my blue apple).
I miss seeing your blue apple as well. It was always so apropos.
Ha. Nice of you to say. Folks had a lot of good avatars and they definitely made threads easier to skim. I'm really blaming Okaydo for this change since I think his disturbing avatar picture of a young Marshawn is what put the mods over the edge,
OdontoBear66
LACalFan said:

Any idea what the letters to the right of the usernames indicate?
Guessed at but still unanswered. H,V,L, etc.
TheSouseFamily
OdontoBear66 said:

LACalFan said:

Guessed at but still unanswered. H,V,L, etc.

All right here: https://bearinsider.com/help/faq
concordtom
Sebastabear said:

I'd like to second this thought. Seeing the avatars is a faster way of scanning thru the pages of posts.
Definitely missing something here.
concordtom
I'm testing... My question was why the little images to the left of my name were either a notepad or a cell phone. And I think I determined that it was whether I was posting from my desktop or my mobile. But then I saw other images left of people's names, so I came to ask the question. But now I see that there are all these Emoticons and I could click on one. Let's see if this one shows up. Hmmmm.
concordtom
concordtom said:

I'm testing... My question was why the little images to the left of my name were either a notepad or a cell phone. And I think I determined that it was whether I was posting from my desktop or my mobile. But then I saw other images left of people's names, so I came to ask the question. But now I see that there are all these Emoticons and I could click on one. Let's see if this one shows up. Hmmmm.
Yep, that's it.
OdontoBear66
Thanks souse..
PalyBear
how do you turn off the automatic logout or extend the time of inactivity before the automatic logout?
Calfans
PalyBear said:

how do you turn off the automatic logout or extend the time of inactivity before the automatic logout?
Do you click Remember Me when logging in? Do you accept cookies from bearinsider.com?
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

OBear073akaSMFan
Why when clicking on the "insert an image" icon to paste a link in the URL box it is gray and doesn't let me paste or delete the words (http://) in the box?

I assume this is where you would insert a picture. Thanks in advance.
Yogi58
Just copy the path to the picture and insert it. Don't worry about the http://.
HoopDreams
I have some questions on how to use the new board:

- how do you add emoticons? - I see them at the top, but they don't seem to appear in the post window

- how do you change size of text?

- how do you change font of text?

- how do you change color of text?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HoopDreams said:

I have some questions on how to use the new board:

- how do you add emoticons? - I see them at the top, but they don't seem to appear in the post window

- how do you change size of text?

- how do you change font of text?

- how do you change color of text?
Was also wondering if the aforementioned formatting options will be implemented down the road?

In terms of backward compatibility too, posts from the old board era that made generous use of these features are now a veritable visual mess, inundated with cluttered up text like "[COLOR="#000080"][FONT="TIMES NEW ROMAN"][SIZE=5][U][INDENT]" all over the place!

Another observation - links to another post or thread on the board are no longer valid, nor apparently can one go to the quoted post by clicking on what used o be the >> icon after "Poster wrote:"...

Understandable tho if these features are lost forever, since the database system for posts is likely quite different here.

BearDevil said:

Will stored private messages eventually migrate or are they gone for good?
That would be really brilliant if the old stored PMs can be migrated in some fashion eventually, as were unaware prior to the transition that they wouldn't transfer in the initial pass (i.e. hadn't saved any of our PM archives!).

Another really useful legacy messaging function was the ability to PM multiple recipients in the same post, sparing redundant repeated postings of the same message to each individual within the context of a group conversation...

Overall though, thank you very much for the feature-filled & streamlined look of the new interface! All your hard work in facilitating a relatively smooth & seamless transition in a very tight timeframe is most appreciated!

btw, love it that one's able to finally embed social media posts + multiple youtube videos directly
TheSouseFamily
A little technical quirk that you guys might want to take a look at:

It's nice to click on the black box to take you to the last unread comment in a thread. Normally, that works fine. However, if there are embedded tweets, YouTube videos, etc, clicking the black box doesn't take you to the last unread post but rather somehere in the middle of the thread among messages you've already seen. Not sure about desktop but it definitely happens on mobile.
01Bear
as of yesterday, i realized the emojis/emoticons i'm trying to enter from my iphone do not show up in the actual post...is this a bug? a new feature?
Calfans
01Bear said:

as of yesterday, i realized the emojis/emoticons i'm trying to enter from my iphone do not show up in the actual post...is this a bug? a new feature?
These emoticons show in the board index not he body of the post.

I am trying to find a way to get our smilies available to use
Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

Unit2Sucks
I think the new software is pretty cool. I would like to be able to see who "stars" a post but not sure whether that is a config item that can be easily added or not. If so, I vote for that.

Also, I love that the post flag feature has so many different options. I think you should add one for "copyright infringement" because there are people who lift entire articles from other websites from time to time and BI shouldn't host that content. Posting a snippet from an article is typically seen as fair use, but when you post a full article it's a no no.
01Bear
Calfans said:

01Bear said:

These emoticons show in the board index not he body of the post.

I am trying to find a way to get our smilies available to use

thanks for the reply! i'll await the update...
NortonBear
ColoradoBear1 said:

LACalFan said:

Would guess that the first letter is a ranking tied to the number of posts, while the P means premium subscriber.

Board looks a lot cleaner, though I do miss the hybrid view where things were arranged with indents for separate replies in each thread. Could keep track of conversations better that way.
B.A. Bearacus
The search feature only goes back a year. Not even sure if threads that are over a year old in terms of last activity are even saved. Unless someone clarifies otherwise, I believe all old threads have either all been deleted or rendered inaccessible. Which is a loss.
Cave Bear
Dislike the blue coloration when a post has 3+ stars. I'd prefer it disabled altogether but at the least the threshold should be raised.

Dislike the lack of a poll feature.

Also...

Dislike the lack of a preview function on posts
tenplay
I don't think that this question was ever answered. How does one designate all messages as having been read? Thanks.
Rushinbear
F5:Brandon said:

Sure thing!

Also note that the new post indicator will be blue (and not dark grey) if one of the new posts is in reply to you.
Until about 2 weeks ago (estimating - haven't tried to view in a while), I was able to view HUDL videos for those Offered Recruits that have them. Now, those videos will not load. I have updated Java. I am Growls only.

Thanks for checking.
tenplay
Has an answer been posted to blungld's question #2 re how to mark all the previous responses as having been read so that only truly new responses are displayed? I asked the same question several months ago and have yet to receive a response. Thanks.
Yogi58
tenplay said:

Has an answer been posted to blungld's question #2 re how to mark all the previous responses as having been read so that only truly new responses are displayed? I asked the same question several months ago and have yet to receive a response. Thanks.
There's no way to do that on this board
tenplay
Thanks for letting me know. It was a convenient feature of the previous board so that the reader didn't have to forever sift through messages that he or she never intended to read.
sycasey
This seems like a bug. I tried to link to a YouTube video in another thread, and the board code seems to block it because the letters W T F are in a row in the URL. I don't think the code is intended to block links like that.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/31425/replies/1467569
socaliganbear
As long as he doesn't kneel.
B.A. Bearacus
Mod, this site does not allow one to type or copy and past em dashes. Can this please be fixed?

GivemTheAxe
ColoradoBear1 said:

Calfans said:

These images are linked in the Getting Started post

It would be nice to see the author of last message on the desktop version like in the mobile version. There are some posters I probably won't bother to check on, if you know what I mean.

Plenty of empty space on a actual monitor for this given the formatting. Mobile is much more constricted spacewise, so it's strange to have features there and not on desktop.

How does someone start a new thread?
Please be kind I am techno-phobic.
HighlandDutch
GivemTheAxe said:

ColoradoBear1 said:

Calfans said:

These images are linked in the Getting Started post

It would be nice to see the author of last message on the desktop version like in the mobile version. There are some posters I probably won't bother to check on, if you know what I mean.

Plenty of empty space on a actual monitor for this given the formatting. Mobile is much more constricted spacewise, so it's strange to have features there and not on desktop.

How does someone start a new thread?
Please be kind I am techno-phobic.
Go to whichever forum in which you want to start the thread and hit "New Topic" (near the upper left-hand corner of the page).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.