WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF EARTHQUAKE!!! For Visiting teams!

4,636 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cjbarker said:

Sebastabear said:

Totally fair, but not really the point I was going for here. I'm not really talking about the wacky ideas in the heads of some Berkeley denizens. We all have some wacky ideas - just ask my wife how she feels about my general antipathy toward vegetables. I'm talking about the fear that some of our friends from Ole Miss seem to have they will be assaulted because of their football affiliations. Even in your example, I'm not really sure too many of the folks you're referring to make distinctions between Ole Miss fans and Cal fans. They all believe violent ground acquisition games, such as football, are just a crypto-fascist metaphor for nuclear war.

But I've honestly never seen any OOC fans get hassled by anyone at a football game. Berkeley is just very chill - at least in that regard.

Spot on about them not being able to differentiate. To the folks I'm talking about, being a football fan at all is suspect - it's *all* essentially the south/ fascists/ the kkk "invading" Berkeley - never mind that Berkeley was "doing" football long before the city became synonymous with radical politics. (And had an 80,000 seat stadium when most of what's now the SEC was just starting to build 40,000 seat jobs.)

And yes, there is a kind of "chill." The reality of Berkeley on game day is, get 3-4 blocks off campus, and other than some increased traffic and high numbers of people wandering about in colorful gear, you wouldn't know there was a major sporting event taking place at all. And anyone who resents that it is wouldn't likely go trolling for folks in Ole Miss gear to harass about it. They'd just as likely be mouthing off to the people in Cal gear!!

I guess my larger point though, was that "antifa" are folks that anybody might encounter in many places around Berkeley - and have no idea they did.
Agree with all this. But really I'm just disappointed you didn't comment on my quote from Iron Man.
TheFiatLux
It's nice how we can stay on topic... :-)

This signage is simply brilliant... I love the idea of putting just that bit of something else to tghink about in opposing players' minds. There is also a sign just as they come onto the field so it will get picked up by cameras.
Sebastabear
TheFiatLux said:

It's nice how we can stay on topic... :-)

This signage is simply brilliant... I love the idea of putting just that bit of something else to tghink about in opposing players' minds. There is also a sign just as they come onto the field so it will get picked up by cameras.
What is this "on topic" thing of which you speak? By the way, anyone had a good burrito lately . . .
PalyBear
Sebastabear said:

MustangReb said:

need_answers said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!
Now we just need a "Beware of ANTIFA", for our friends from Ole Miss!

LOL maybe they just watch too much news? That's probably all they've got down there, news and Ole Miss football.

I don't think Tennessee or Texas fans were too skittish before they came to Berkeley right?

To be fair, both of those games happened before the recent rash of highly publicized protests/riots. Still, anyone who judges the entirety of Berkeley and Cal by a few isolated, if ugly, riots is just showing their ignorance and really needs to get out more.
These recent "protest/riots" were dwarfed in size, loss of property and injuries to what occurred in the 90s when the University tried to install sand volley ball courts on a local park (I'm not joking). Our journalism has just gotten much more yellow and our political climate far more hysterical. The next time I see an antifa member in Berkeley will be the first time and I haven't missed a home football game in over a decade.

Crazy times, late 80's, early 90's. Loma Prieta earthquake, Oakland Hills fire, murder on campus, hostage situation at Durant Hotel, annual Anarchist riot, and yup the People's Park riots. I remember the PD bringing in the auxiliary riot police in their one piece blue jump suits and people calling them the "Blue Meanies." Ah, nostalgia. . .
TheFiatLux
PalyBear said:

Sebastabear said:

MustangReb said:

need_answers said:

azulviejo said:

That is great!
Now we just need a "Beware of ANTIFA", for our friends from Ole Miss!

LOL maybe they just watch too much news? That's probably all they've got down there, news and Ole Miss football.

I don't think Tennessee or Texas fans were too skittish before they came to Berkeley right?

To be fair, both of those games happened before the recent rash of highly publicized protests/riots. Still, anyone who judges the entirety of Berkeley and Cal by a few isolated, if ugly, riots is just showing their ignorance and really needs to get out more.
These recent "protest/riots" were dwarfed in size, loss of property and injuries to what occurred in the 90s when the University tried to install sand volley ball courts on a local park (I'm not joking). Our journalism has just gotten much more yellow and our political climate far more hysterical. The next time I see an antifa member in Berkeley will be the first time and I haven't missed a home football game in over a decade.

Crazy times, late 80's, early 90's. Loma Prieta earthquake, Oakland Hills fire, murder on campus, hostage situation at Durant Hotel, annual Anarchist riot, and yup the People's Park riots. I remember the PD bringing in the auxiliary riot police in their one piece blue jump suits and people calling them the "Blue Meanies." Ah, nostalgia. . .
We apparently were at Cal at the same time!
Fyght4Cal
The Student Section should definitely dress as Antifa. It would make national news, and confuse the hell out of the Ole Miss players.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
82gradDLSdad
Fyght4Cal said:

The Student Section should definitely dress as Antifa. It would make national news, and confuse the hell out of the Ole Miss players.

Maybe they should start with dressing as Auntie Em to test the waters
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.