Let's explain to freshman what the world was like the last time we beat $C

5,205 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sycasey
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On 9/27/03, when they were in pre-school.

This was the best selling phone:

If you tried touching the screen on the above phone, people would ask you what you were doing.

This was only imagined on acid:

You could go to a music show and no one took a picture or recorded video:

Related: it would not be unusual to go months without taking a picture.

Yes, Netfilix was around, but their primary business was mailing you DVDs of movies through the US Postal Service:

This guy was president:

These companies would be founded in two to three years:

This one in seven:

This guy would be governor of California in two months:

This magazine might have still been useful:

GMP
B.A. Bearacus said:

This was the best selling phone:

If you tried touching the screen on the above phone, people would ask you what you were doing.

You could go to a music show and no one took a picture or recorded video:

Related: it would not be unusual to go months without taking a picture.

Yes, Netfilix was around, but their primary business was mailing you DVDs of movies through the US Postal Service:

This guy was president:

These companies would be founded in two to three years:

This one in seven:

This guy would be governor of California in two months:

This magazine might have still been useful:

Funny/sad. Two things: (1) Facebook is much sooner than 2-3 years, because I was able to join the following Spring as Berkeley was one of the first (if not the first) non-Ivy League network. (2) What the hell is a DVD?
FloriDreaming
Did SC have to vacate the 03 NC? (I realize it was a shared NC.)

One of the two Cal QBs who played in that game is a slam-dunk future hall of famer. Extra credit to any current Cal student who can name the second Cal QB without an Internet search (or asking your parents).

Redonkulous Bear
Last time we beat $C you could have acquired a Mclaren F1 for as low as $700k for a #4 fair condition example, or as high as $1.15 mil for a concours condition 1 example.

A 1973 Porsche 911s could have been anywhere between a few grand to $40kish for concours spec.

Today Hagerty has them priced between $105k -$250k.

http://i.imgur.com/mNs8KsU.jpg
calbear93
Uthaithani said:

One of the two Cal QBs who played in that game is a slam-dunk future hall of famer. Extra credit to any current Cal student who can name the second Cal QB without an Internet search (or asking your parents).

They can scan the thread topics on this forum for a clue.
Yogi58
Uthaithani said:

They would have had to be fans of the team at the time or like reading about football history.
calbear93
B.A. Bearacus said:

Y
Apple's market cap was only $7 billion. Investing $10K then would be worth a shade over a $1M now, which in 2003 would have seemed like a lot of money.
FloriDreaming
Yogi Bear said:

Uthaithani said:

They would have had to be fans of the team at the time or like reading about football history.
True. I wouldn't give extra credit to Cal students if the answer were easy.
graguna
I got married that day. My friends who couldn't attend the wedding were calling me with score updates. When CAL finally won in triple OT, the DJ announced it over the microphone and me and my CAL friends sang the CAL drinking song at the reception.
I have a framed pic of memorial stadium with the date and score of the game as well as Tedfords signature hanging on my office wall. Given to me by a belated wedding gift from a friend who new Tedford.
My boys ( the product of that marriage ) are now 12 and 9.
crazy that we haven't beaten SC since that day.
LunchTime
Uthaithani said:

Railroad Crossings and Railroad Cars, Can you spell that without any "Rs"?

The concord was still flying. Whoa.
bearister
This is how we did it my Senior year when Bears got a 28-14 win over # 4 U$C:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
hanky1
I was there in the stadium the last time we beat them.

Let me explain to freshmen the world back then:

I was 30 lbs lighter. I had a full head of dark hair. And I use to be optimistic and happy about Cal football.
cubzwin
I was there, too. My daughter, who was 10, got bored of the game by the end of regulation and wanted to leave. That didn't happen. She stayed and has been a Cal fan for life. She is a 2015 Bear. When I was at Cal, Chuck Muncie and Joe Roth beat USC. It can happen.
nowa68
Was it Reggie Robertson or Roberson...
BearsWiin
Went to the game by myself, as the wife didn't want to go to two home games on successive weekends, and she figured we had a better chance of beating OS(U) than USC. She chose..... poorly

An esteemed old-time Cyberbear (.org) saw on the boards that I was planning on attending by myself(I think I'd offered my extra tickets to somebody) and, as he had an extra ticket himself, invited me to sit with him in UU. Perhaps my favorite memory from that glorious evening, other than Tyler's last kick, was looking over at him during the second overtime when, the stress of the event having become too much for him, he slumped in his seat, crouched over, and assumed the fetal position among the throng of crazed standing Bear fans.
jhbchristopher
graguna said:

I got married that day. My friends who couldn't attend the wedding were calling me with score updates. When CAL finally won in triple OT, the DJ announced it over the microphone and me and my CAL friends sang the CAL drinking song at the reception.
I have a framed pic of memorial stadium with the date and score of the game as well as Tedfords signature hanging on my office wall. Given to me by a belated wedding gift from a friend who new Tedford.
Whatttt! You scheduled a wedding when Cal was playing, she must be a great lady :-)
UrsusTexicanus
nowa68 said:

Reggie Robertson.
UrsusTexicanus
graguna said:

Hmmm... obviously your wedding is the jinx. So, quickie divorce Friday before an SC game, then quickie wedding the Monday after. If it works to end the jinx, just repeat every season.
UrsusTexicanus
Almost seven years until this was first released:

okaydo
This dude was running for governor of California.

B.A. Bearacus

Unit2Sucks
People thought Saddam had WMDs.
okaydo
David Letterman, at age 56, became a father for the first time in November 2003.

a year and a half ago:

Britney Spears on Kimmel, fall 2003:

76BearsFly
1975. I was there; miracles can, and do, happen!! We finally have good coaching ... got a feeling here!! GO BEARS!!!
KenBurnski
Was Howard still with Allison at the time of the last victory?
TheFiatLux
hanky1 said:

I was 30 lbs lighter. I had a full head of dark red hair. And I use to be optimistic and happy about Cal football.
are you me?

(I'm still annoyingly optimistic)
okaydo
KenBurnski said:

Was Howard still with Allison at the time of the last victory?
No, Howard announced his separation in October 1999 (if I recall correctly -- I remember it because I was listening to it on the way to a UC Berkeley midterm). And he met his current wife Beth on Mother's Day Weekend 2000.
FloriDreaming
nowa68 said:

Yessir.

And this glorious win was followed up with a horrible loss to Oregon State in AR's worst QB performance of his life.
bencgilmore
Redonkulous Bear said:

Last time we beat $C you could have acquired a Mclaren F1 for as low as $700k for a #4 fair condition example, or as high as $1.15 mil for a concours condition 1 example.

A 1973 Porsche 911s could have been anywhere between a few grand to $40kish for concours spec.

Today Hagerty has them priced between $105k -$250k.

good bear subconscious not showing any red cars
bencgilmore
this was my first Cal game, providing the best evidence yet that Cal football is a drug, like heroin. It never is quite as good as the first time, ever again, no matter how much you chase it.
cubzwin
Actually, the first time you do heroin you usually get nauseated and can't stop throwing up. So your analogy is...perfect.
Bear19
Being a life long Bear is like hitting one great shot in a round of golf on a way to a 117 score.

It's that one great shot that keeps you coming back.

(Btw, I truly believe that Wilcox & company are leading us to an historic Renaissance of Cal football.)
Bear 19
okaydo
hanky1 said:

I was 30 lbs lighter. I had a full head of dark hair. And I use to be optimistic and happy about Cal football.

hanky1 in 2003:

hanky1 in 2017:

72CalBear
2003 - You could still walk down Telegraph and lose all your spare change within one block. The goal posts at CMS were not on hinges like they are now - and could really be pushed over, break, and made dangerous. Every Cal fan lost their voice at the Toejam game. Kips still didn't check Id's. Cal marketing had 10,000 mini megaphones made to hand out, but learned that noise makers couldn't be used in the Pac 10. (They are still stored away somewhere). The Faculty Club rooms started at $80 a night. Jet Blue had one way flights from Long Beach to Oakland for $39. Bears Lair toilets didn't lock. The Cal Band was loud and played a lot. The team was big, bold, and didn't give a ****e about U$C coming in.
KenBurnski
New JD looks like he devoured old JD. I've been away from the show. Is he on the John Hein fast food diet?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.