Let's explain to freshman what the world was like the last time we beat $C

5,248 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by sycasey
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KenBurnski said:

New JD looks like he devoured old JD. I've been away from the show. Is he on the John Hein fast food diet?

He's gotten slimmer -- he's getting married next year, which has been mined for a lot of content.

Redonkulous Bear
2003 Justin Wilcox:

2017 Justin Wilcox:

Confirmed he's either a highlander, a member of The Hand, or daywalking space vampire.
http://i.imgur.com/mNs8KsU.jpg
okaydo
Redonkulous Bear said:

2003 Justin Wilcox:

2017 Justin Wilcox:

Confirmed he's either a highlander, a member of The Hand, or daywalking space vampire.

Cal8285
BearsWiin said:

Went to the game by myself, as the wife didn't want to go to two home games on successive weekends, and she figured we had a better chance of beating OS(U) than USC. She chose..... poorly

An esteemed old-time Cyberbear (.org) saw on the boards that I was planning on attending by myself(I think I'd offered my extra tickets to somebody) and, as he had an extra ticket himself, invited me to sit with him in UU. Perhaps my favorite memory from that glorious evening, other than Tyler's last kick, was looking over at him during the second overtime when, the stress of the event having become too much for him, he slumped in his seat, crouched over, and assumed the fetal position among the throng of crazed standing Bear fans.
Unlikely story. I understand that old-time Cyberbears (.org) only ever existed in cyberspace, I personally don't believe that you could have seen one in person.

The redhead who was one of my seatmates that day was in his 32nd year of a 39 year stretch missing no Cal home games, and was watching his 27th consecutive USC game out of what would be 33 in a row, home and away. Sadly, it was to be the last time he would ever see Cal beat SC, with the 2004 and 2006 losses costing him the opportunity to see Cal in a Rose Bowl before he died. I'm just hoping that when my obit is written, 2003 won't be the last time I saw Cal beat SC.

Given how history has unfolded, it shouldn't be any wonder that the stress of the event was too much for, uh, that alleged old-time Cyberbear to handle.
B.A. Bearacus
Redonkulous Bear said:

Justin Wilcox, a true Shining star.

BearsWiin
Cal8285 said:

BearsWiin said:

Went to the game by myself, as the wife didn't want to go to two home games on successive weekends, and she figured we had a better chance of beating OS(U) than USC. She chose..... poorly

An esteemed old-time Cyberbear (.org) saw on the boards that I was planning on attending by myself(I think I'd offered my extra tickets to somebody) and, as he had an extra ticket himself, invited me to sit with him in UU. Perhaps my favorite memory from that glorious evening, other than Tyler's last kick, was looking over at him during the second overtime when, the stress of the event having become too much for him, he slumped in his seat, crouched over, and assumed the fetal position among the throng of crazed standing Bear fans.
Unlikely story. I understand that old-time Cyberbears (.org) only ever existed in cyberspace, I personally don't believe that you could have seen one in person.

The redhead who was one of my seatmates that day was in his 32nd year of a 39 year stretch missing no Cal home games, and was watching his 27th consecutive USC game out of what would be 33 in a row, home and away. Sadly, it was to be the last time he would ever see Cal beat SC, with the 2004 and 2006 losses costing him the opportunity to see Cal in a Rose Bowl before he died. I'm just hoping that when my obit is written, 2003 won't be the last time I saw Cal beat SC.

Given how history has unfolded, it shouldn't be any wonder that the stress of the event was too much for, uh, that alleged old-time Cyberbear to handle.
One could argue that the 2006 Arizona loss cost your seatmate the opportunity to see Cal in a Rose Bowl as much as the USC loss did. Losing to USC in their house after being tied after 3 isn't quite as rankling, IMO, as giving away a game that was well in hand.

After the 2006 game at the Mausoleum I happened upon Greg Van Hoesen's family up in the nosebleed seats that USC had placed us visiting fans. I congratulated him on his son's accomplishment, and he looked like he wanted to pinch my neck off. I clarified that I'd seen that his son had just the previous week been selected to the conference all-academic team, and that those things matter to many of us Cal fans. He was more gracious after that.

Let us all hope that, when your epitaph is written, it includes references to how much you enjoyed Cal's football dominance and Rose Bowl victories in your (blue and) golden years.
GMP
Oh, also: In 2003, O.J. was not a convicted felon.
Cal8285
BearsWiin said:

Cal8285 said:

BearsWiin said:

One could argue that the 2006 Arizona loss cost your seatmate the opportunity to see Cal in a Rose Bowl as much as the USC loss did. Losing to USC in their house after being tied after 3 isn't quite as rankling, IMO, as giving away a game that was well in hand.

After the 2006 game at the Mausoleum I happened upon Greg Van Hoesen's family up in the nosebleed seats that USC had placed us visiting fans. I congratulated him on his son's accomplishment, and he looked like he wanted to pinch my neck off. I clarified that I'd seen that his son had just the previous week been selected to the conference all-academic team, and that those things matter to many of us Cal fans. He was more gracious after that.

Let us all hope that, when your epitaph is written, it includes references to how much you enjoyed Cal's football dominance and Rose Bowl victories in your (blue and) golden years.
Yes, the 2006 Arizona loss was far more disgusting and rankling the 2006 USC loss. I'm not convinced, however, that if Cal had defeated Arizona and USC needed to beat UCLA in order to go to the Rose Bowl, that UCLA would still have beaten SC.

When the Cal-Arizona game ended, UCLA was just starting its game against OSU, the Bruins were 2-4 in conference and 4-5 overall, and lost by 14 to Cal at Memorial. At the time, nobody figured SC would lose to the Bruins. While the Arizona loss was difficult to swallow, at the time, it felt like it didn't really matter, unless SC lost to #21 Oregon later that night. At the moment the Arizona game ended, SC had #21 Oregon, Cal (ranked #8 before the Arizona debacle) and unranked UCLA left on their schedule. Surely if SC beat Oregon and Cal, SC was NOT losing to UCLA. Once the Toejams spanked the Ducks 35-10, it affirmed that the Arizona loss didn't really matter.

So we can't know for sure that Cal goes to the Rose Bowl if the Bears beat Arizona, but I think we know for sure that Cal goes to the Rose Bowl if we beat SC. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
sycasey
okaydo said:

hanky1 said:

I was there in the stadium the last time we beat them.

Let me explain to freshmen the world back then:

I was 30 lbs lighter. I had a full head of dark hair. And I use to be optimistic and happy about Cal football.

hanky1 in 2003:

hanky1 in 2017:

Wait, but now it looks like he has more hair.
sycasey
BearsWiin said:

Not only giving it away, but also actively getting screwed out of it (phantom PI call on the Hughes interception, would have taken away an Arizona touchdown).
sycasey
September 27, 2003

Top movie at the box office that weekend:

Top Billboard single:

MinotStateBeav
The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl came out in 2003.
Finding Nemo was the top grossing movie of 2003.
CSI: Crime Scene Investigations was the top rated television show followed by American Idol and Friends.
okaydo
2003 was so long ago, this is what the current president of the United States looked like back then:

sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

The Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl came out in 2003.
Finding Nemo was the top grossing movie of 2003.
CSI: Crime Scene Investigations was the top rated television show followed by American Idol and Friends.
And don't forget the final entry in the Lord of the Rings trilogy!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.