Possible game cancellation due to Smoke?

14,647 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by pierrezo
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just went outside in San Bruno and the smoke is heavy.. Would not want to be outside today.. Was ok yesterday. Not sure what it is like in Berkeley but it could be bad Friday night.

Wonder what Cal would due if it is deemed unhealthy. The fire is no way close to being contained.

Gee ESPN we wuld have liked to have played Friday night but it just isnt possible.A way to get a bye and stop the bleeding.

A genuine concern for many. What do you think?
Go Bears!
BearlyCareAnymore
oskidunker said:

I just went outside in San Bruno and the smoke is heavy.. Would not want to be outside today.. Was ok yesterday. Not sure what it is like in Berkeley but it could be bad Friday night.

Wonder what Cal would due if it is deemed unhealthy. The fire is no way close to being contained.

Gee ESPN we wuld have liked to have played Friday night but it just isnt possible.A way to get a bye and stop the bleeding.

Not gonna happen.
MinotStateBeav
Oregon nearly cancelled their game with Nebraska due to the fires that were here...its not unheard of. A lot of high schools in Oregon had cancelled games.
sp4149
oskidunker said:

In some coastal forest areas wildfire smoke has an added hazard, poison oak smoke toxic for the allergic. I know some of the hillsides in the area have thickets of poison oak; although I can recall whole hillsides along 101 in SoCal turning red in the fall as the poison oak changed color. The oils in the poison oak can become airborne during wildfires and for those with severe allergies inhaled poison oak smoke can be life threatening. But I only remember this as a problem adjacent to wildfires; I have no idea how far such toxins can travel airborne in smoke from wildfires. Years ago I can remember smoke from wildfires so thick that the noon day sun was a blood red globe in the sky. At risk residents were told to stay indoors, but I don't remember outdoor events that weren't adjacent to the fires being cancelled. But times have changed and public officials are more cautious.
oskidunker
a reply from Cal regarding bad air.

We have a team of Cal and medical staff members who are monitoring the air quality here at the stadium. They will follow all NCAA rules and regulations when it comes to the air quality for the game.

If there are any changes for the game on Friday, we will alert all fans immediately!

Thanks
Geena
Go Bears!
Big C
Have the Bears had to alter their practices this week? (My kids' PE classes have been moved indoors every day, so far... East Bay.)

Just what we need when we're trying to right the ship, eh?
TandemBear
East Bay United Soccer has been cancelling soccer practices this week due to air quality. I'd be surprised to see the Cal game canceled though.
Bobodeluxe
If the smoke is bad like today, there will be no game.
oskidunker
150 means air unhealthy. Currently 137 in parts of Berkeley. NCAA rules seem to be vague but seem to indicate games can be cancelled at 150. The problem is, a decision might not be made until close to game time as winds could change abruptly. Game could be postponed until Sat or Sunday or just cancelled. Stay tuned.

This won't help those looking for a sellout
Go Bears!
Bear19
We should warm the WSU players that in addition to earthquake danger from playing on the Hayward Fault, they should all wear gauge masks to deal with smoke, and to watch for embers blowing onto the field.
Bear 19
Sebastabear
You could cut the air with a knife down in Palo Alto and we're 40 miles South of Berkeley. I'm coughing here sitting in my office and getting PTSD flashbacks to my time in the Boyscouts. Guessing Berkeley is very bad. Can't imagine trying to play a game in this.
oskidunker
Espn could do a Cal Chess match. But we wouldnt be grateful for the reduced pay out.

Smoke in Palo Alto may be Chief Lightfoot sending smoke signals.
Blueblood

What a bonanza! Cal's offense caught Wazzu's defense off guard as
Bowers handed off to Laird and he goes 80 yards for a TD! Here's the
replay, notice how no one is near Laird.
oskidunker
Forecast does not look good.

AQI
Pollutant10/11
PM2.5
10/12
PM2.5
10/13
Unhealthy
PM2.5
LunchTime
I thought my house in oakland was bad. I was shocked by how bad it is all the way down in San Mateo.
BearChemist
It is 189 at Berkeley now. Really crazy and the wind seems to bring the worst stuff on the way down.
joe amos yaks
Could not see Costco (Richmond) from Golden Gate Fields.
75bear
Today is pretty bad - it's gotten worse with each passing day. And the smell is strong indoors as well (maybe having an old house in the East Bay doesn't help).
SonomanA1
I am in Santa Rosa, formerly Larkfield. The air in Berkeley has to be better than here.
FloriDreaming
SonomanA1 said:

I am in Santa Rosa, formerly Larkfield. The air in Berkeley has to be better than here.
Really sorry about what's going on there. Hope you and your family and friends are okay. Obviously that's the most important thing, football is supposed to be a fun diversion.
BearlyCareAnymore
OaktownBear said:

oskidunker said:

Not gonna happen.
I take it back. I didn't imagine the air quality could get this bad. I can definitely see game being postponed at this point.
tequila4kapp
MinotStateBeav said:

Oregon nearly cancelled their game with Nebraska due to the fires that were here...its not unheard of. A lot of high schools in Oregon had cancelled games.
I was generally dismissive of the smoke re the team I coach. It took a small number of minutes to realize I was very wrong. If the air quality is poor they should move the game to another date.
oskidunker
Cal has a bye on Nov 11 but Wsu does not.
Sebastabear
Haven't seen this posted, but here's the official air quality monitoring link. Anyway, it's no bueno. Air down here on the Peninsula is even worse than in Berkeley/ SF. I feel like I'm in Beijing.

http://50.57.200.217/about-air-quality/current-air-quality/air-monitoring-data?DataViewFormat=daily&DataView=aqi&ParameterId=316
glutton
oskidunker said:

a reply from Cal regarding bad air.

We have a team of Cal and medical staff members who are monitoring the air quality here at the stadium. They will follow all NCAA rules and regulations when it comes to the air quality for the game.

If there are any changes for the game on Friday, we will alert all fans immediately!

Thanks
Geena

Thanks, oskidunker. I wonder how long they will wait before making a decision. Some other outdoor events this week have been cancelled already.
bearister
BearChemist said:

It is 189 at Berkeley now. Really crazy and the wind seems to bring the worst stuff on the way down.

212 in the WC

https://weather.weatherbug.com/life/air-quality/walnut-creek-ca-94596
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone
Cancel the game? Aee you kidding? There's ads to run, beer and trucks to sell. Get real.
FloriDreaming
OaktownBear said:

OaktownBear said:

oskidunker said:

Not gonna happen.
I take it back. I didn't imagine the air quality could get this bad. I can definitely see game being postponed at this point.
At this point they might also need to consider cancelling classes. I'm at a loss as to what measures the University can even take to protect a student community in such a situation. I guess advise students to stay indoors as much as possible and pray it doesn't get any worse.
UrsusTexicanus
FWIW I took a quick look at a Furd board, and there's some concern about the Oregon game being cancelled.
Sebastabear
UrsusTexicanus said:

FWIW I took a quick look at a Furd board, and there's some concern about the Oregon game being cancelled.
It's as bad in Palo Alto as it is in Berkeley - maybe worse. No one should be playing football in this. Hell im not sure I'd want to sit outside at this point.
UrsaMajor
Right now it's 187 in Berkeley. If it stays that way, the game will be cancelled.
NVBear78
From the NCAA website:

Specifically, schools should consider removing sensitive athletes from outdoor practice or competition venues at an AQI over 100. At AQIs of over 150, all athletes should be closely monitored. All athletes should be removed from outdoor practice or competition venues at AQIs of 200 or above.
ducky23
UrsusTexicanus said:

itll be interesting to see what furd does since they are essentially in the same boat as us.

BearChemist
Funny that Cal ATO still promoting the game with day time CMS photo and clear sky.

oskidunker
Unbelievable. Who the hell sent this out..
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.