The biggest reward of beating #8 WSU is...

9,049 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HKBear97!
FremontBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golden silence from the dumpster muffin Dykes apologists. You know who you are.
mbBear
FremontBear said:

That's more exciting than a win over a top 10 team? Who cares what anyone now thinks of Dykes-you worried folks are going to campaign for his induction into the Cal HOF?
I post all the time that Cal's single biggest athletic department mistake of all time was their inability to hold on to Snyder-call me out too, its just as relevant lol.
bearister
https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2011/5/31/2162542/cals-greatest-football-coaches-5-bruce-snyder
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
CAL6371
bearister -= thanks for sharing those great memories. I think Wilcox's tenure will be similar - a slow but steady progress. One thing I will always remember is the high quality of Snyder's staff - just like Wilcox is doing. First-rate men hire first-rate men.
ddc_Cal
mbBear said:

FremontBear said:

That's more exciting than a win over a top 10 team? Who cares what anyone now thinks of Dykes-you worried folks are going to campaign for his induction into the Cal HOF?
I post all the time that Cal's single biggest athletic department mistake of all time was their inability to hold on to Snyder-call me out too, its just as relevant lol.
Unfortunately, that was a feature, not a bug.
kingpindonuts
What's a Dykes apologist? Someone that doesn't just trash him 100% all the time and actually acknowledges that he recruited a lot of good student athletes and fixed some major issues from a shhitty situation from Tedford?
drizzlybears brother
FremontBear said:

I feel you FB, had almost the exact thoughts at the birth of my first child.

Signed - a dumpster muffin Dykes hater
Big C
kingpindonuts said:

What's a Dykes apologist? Someone that doesn't just trash him 100% all the time and actually acknowledges that he recruited a lot of good student athletes and fixed some major issues from a shhitty situation from Tedford?
+1

Dykes did some good things, but not enough of them to where he was worth retaining. He's gone now: Is it really worth starting a new post just to trash him again?

There was only one "Dykes apologist" on this board who was really annoying and he's gone, too. However, there were several "nega-Bears" who were way over the top with the non-analytical criticisms. Somebody like OaktownBear, I wanna hear what he has to say, but a few of the others... it just seemed cancerous.
calumnus
Big C said:

kingpindonuts said:

+1

Dykes did some good things, but not enough of them to where he was worth retaining. He's gone now: Is it really worth starting a new post just to trash him again?

There was only one "Dykes apologist" on this board who was really annoying and he's gone, too. However, there were several "nega-Bears" who were way over the top with the non-analytical criticisms. Somebody like OaktownBear, I wanna hear what he has to say, but a few of the others... it just seemed cancerous.

This whole thing is silly. Tedford and Dykes both did some good things, both were rightly let go when it became clear they were not going to get us to the next level. They are gone now--why give them any support? They both already have plenty of our money. Wilcox is our coach now and those that want Cal to succeed should root for him until he gets us to the next level or it becomes clear that he can't. Right now, the future looks bright! Go Bears!
drizzlybears brother
calumnus said:

This whole thing is silly. Tedford and Dykes both did some good things, both were rightly let go when it became clear they were not going to get us to the next level. They are gone now--why give them any support? They both already have plenty of our money. Wilcox is our coach now and those that want Cal to succeed should root for him until he gets us to the next level or it becomes clear that he can't. Right now, the future looks bright! Go Bears!

Seems small minded to diminish our own history. For better or worse all of these guys (for me from the days of Joe Kapp on) put their heart and soul into developing our program, infinitely more than the rabble on this board have ever done, and regardless of outcome I appreciate their effort.

It makes me look small when I tear at them.
Bear19
FremontBear said:

Well said.
LunchTime
kingpindonuts said:

Someone who says variations of "miss dykes yet?" every week for 6 weeks. Even when we win, as long as the previous drive didnt result in a touchdown.
Cave Bear
calumnus said:

Big C said:

kingpindonuts said:

+1

Why give any former team member any support?

(Or anyone in the universe at all who doesn't provide you with any direct benefit?)
Bear19
mbBear said:

It was a "mistake" in the same way steering into an iceberg by the Titanic was a "mistake." In Wikipedia, the article on "stubborn, idiotic, horrific stupidity" has a huge picture of Bockrath. He literally forced Snyder to leave by refusing to do anything about Snyder's pay & not communicating with Snyder, and then feigned shock that ASU would pursue Snyder without giving Bockrath "prior notification." Bockrath insured Cal football would struggle for years.
Bear19
CAL6371 said:

bearister -= thanks for sharing those great memories. I think Wilcox's tenure will be similar - a slow but steady progress. One thing I will always remember is the high quality of Snyder's staff - just like Wilcox is doing. First-rate men hire first-rate men.
The progress Wilcox is making is a lot faster than anyone thought it would be.
Bear19
kingpindonuts said:

What's a Dykes apologist?
It's someone who uses the recruiting travel budget to interview for other jobs and then lies about it.
drizzlybears brother
Bear19 said:

kingpindonuts said:

It's someone who uses the recruiting travel budget to interview for other jobs and then lies about it.

You answered a different question. But let me guess, you don't like Dykes? How long do you intend to hold that?
BearGoggles
Bear19 said:

kingpindonuts said:

Did Dykes do that?
concordtom
It always amazes me how some of these offensive mad coaches fail to hone other aspects of the game!!
OdontoBear66
mbBear said:

FremontBear said:

Agreed entirely on Snyder. The worst mistake, followed by having to let Mike White go, ever hiring Gilbertson, and finally Tedford liking his $3M a year so much that he protected it in the last 4-5 years of his tenure at Cal's expense after 5 good opening years.
mbBear
Bear19 said:

mbBear said:

It was a "mistake" in the same way steering into an iceberg by the Titanic was a "mistake." In Wikipedia, the article on "stubborn, idiotic, horrific stupidity" has a huge picture of Bockrath. He literally forced Snyder to leave by refusing to do anything about Snyder's pay & not communicating with Snyder, and then feigned shock that ASU would pursue Snyder without giving Bockrath "prior notification." Bockrath insured Cal football would struggle for years.
Yep...all he had to do was give Snyder what was already agreed upon...it wasn't even that complicated.
UrsaMajor
Bear19 said:

mbBear said:

I have no love for Bockrath, and he was in my view a terrible AD. But some of the blame for the Snyder disaster lies with Chiang-lin Tien, who strongly opposed a pay raise on the grounds that it was wrong for the football coach to be the highest paid employee.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

kingpindonuts said:

+1

Well, since you asked.

There is no use in talking about Dykes at this point. I try very hard not to start it. When the few remaining Dykes apologists come out in full force, as they did last week, including demanding Baldwin be fired, well if they want to start it, they need to be told how effing stupid they are. Yogi had probably the best response with

Quote:

This is gonna be my standard response to any ****-eating fool who wishes Dykes was still in charge of the offense and doesn't blame him for the lack of talent on the team as a whole

My choice of responses is to argue with them on facts and then move on. The bottom line is that Dykes was awful. They were wrong. If Wilcox is awful, it won't make them any less wrong about Dykes. The more they try to salvage their reputation, the more damage they do to it. Because at the end of the day, we are all wrong a lot and being able to accept that and move on is what demonstrates higher character. I think the post you responded to as well as yours are a little naive considering just last week we had threads specifically calling out those that don't like Dykes and arguments about his coaching personnel being better than the current personnel.

I will point out that OP did not trash Dykes. He called out Dykes apologists. I wouldn't have done it, and i would tell him it serves no purpose. But I understand. When you watch a guy claim to eat crow and then undermine the staff on every loss and use Dykes to do it, and then say nothing when literally a couple days before he demanded the OC be fired, the temptation to call a guy like that out is great. Personally, I try to resist that temptation. Don't always succeed. Probably am failing right now.

But it also doesn't do anti-Dykes people any good. Bottom line. He ain't here. A realistic analysis of the roster is warranted in setting expectations for this year's team. Comparing Wilcox to Dykes failures is not. Wilcox will be acceptable or not based on his own merits. There is a large section of overlap between the two sets of "better than Dykes" and "not good enough".

I get no joy being right about Dykes. I would rather have been wrong. I have no desire to rub anyone's nose in it. But let's get one thing straight. Dykes doesn't give a shyte what we think of him. He is not on this board trying to see if we'll credit him for recruiting players or fixing academics and then happy to see when someone thanks him. Personally, my opinion is that he was a huge net negative on this program and everything good that happens is in spite of him not because of him. I don't think there is a purpose in having that argument, so i won't start it. But I also don't think it is tenable to credit a loser who hurt the program either. So I will have that argument if it starts. My advice to those who are tempted to be nicey nice to Dykes - leave it. Because I promise you some one like me will draw and quarter him in response and we will keep doing so until it stops.

Justin Wilcox is in charge now. We should focus on HIS performance, which should be at least acceptable to any sane person given the circumstances
burritos
FloriDreaming
FremontBear said:

Yah. People who acknowledge the good things the former coach did for the program, like academics and recruiting talented receivers and d-backs.

You know, those dumpster muffins like Justin Wilcox and Mike P.

Horrible people. Thank Oski we don't have to hear from those losers anymore!
FloriDreaming
LunchTime said:

kingpindonuts said:

Someone who says variations of "miss dykes yet?" every week for 6 weeks. Even when we win, as long as the previous drive didnt result in a touchdown.
So what do you call someone who doesn't figure out they're being trolled after the tenth time...?
FloriDreaming
As an LA Rams fan, I'm grateful for the effort Dykes and Franklin put into grooming Goff to be an NFL QB.

Horns Up!!
Bear8
Although I'm very happy JW is our coach and he has done some amazing things thus far, I am baffled by the apparent hatred by some on this Board toward Sonny Dykes. It's almost as if there was something other than his coaching which prompts this animus.
ibhoagiesforlife
10/10 solid post
sycasey
Bear8 said:

Although I'm very happy JW is our coach and he has done some amazing things thus far, I am baffled by the apparent hatred by some on this Board toward Sonny Dykes. It's almost as if there was something other than his coaching which prompts this animus.
Nope, it was pretty much the coaching. His overall W-L record puts him among the worst we've had.
BearlyCareAnymore
Uthaithani said:

LunchTime said:

kingpindonuts said:

So what do you call someone who doesn't figure out they're being trolled after the tenth time...?
I don't know. What do you call someone who is wrong in public a million times, acts like an ass while doing it, and then when he can't hide his wrongness anymore pretends like he was just trolling, when he obviously wasn't, instead of just admitting he was wrong and moving on?
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

I don't know. What do you call someone who is wrong in public a million times, acts like an ass while doing it, and then when he can't hide his wrongness anymore pretends like he was just trolling, when he obviously wasn't, instead of just admitting he was wrong and moving on?
President of the United States
sketchy9
Bear8 said:

How about his shopping himself around every offseason (even AFTER signing an extension!)?
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

man did I set you up for that. I'd say that was like a Cal interception against WSU. It may have bounced off three guys to end up in your vicinity, but you jumped on it and executed to perfection. Bravo!
BearsWiin
sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.