Cal vs Arizona craziness

3,762 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by boredom
JSC 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
1983: Arizona, ranked #3; Bears, mediocre. The Bears fight the Wildcats to a tie, and had a shot to win with an extremely long FG at the end.

1993: Bears come from way back (don't have the details in front of me...20+ points) to win, in Dave Barr's first game back after a shoulder injury. (The Bears won every game that year that Barr was healthy. Sigh.)

1996: 4OT. The game ends when Arizona's fake conversion/2 pt attempt fails. This game leads to the rule that teams must go for 2 after a certain point in OT.

2014: Arizona 36, Cal 14.....but that's not the final, that's the 4th Quarter. Arizona wins on a Hail Mary.
UrsusTexicanus
JSC 76 said:

1983: Arizona, ranked #3; Bears, mediocre. The Bears fight the Wildcats to a tie, and had a shot to win with an extremely long FG at the end.

1993: Bears come from way back (don't have the details in front of me...20+ points) to win, in Dave Barr's first game back after a shoulder injury. (The Bears won every game that year that Barr was healthy. Sigh.)

1996: 4OT. The game ends when Arizona's fake conversion/2 pt attempt fails. This game leads to the rule that teams must go for 2 after a certain point in OT.

2014: Arizona 36, Cal 14.....but that's not the final, that's the 4th Quarter. Arizona wins on a Hail Mary.
Correction, 2014 it was 31-13 Cal going into the 4th Quarter. Then the epic defensive collapse ... sigh.
FuzzyWuzzy
2006: Dante Hughes called for phantom PI in the end zone on what would have been a game saving interception; Desean Jackson steps about a 1/4 inch out of bounds on a would-be long touchdown; and Lavelle Hawkins stumbles and falls, untouched, at the UA 1-yard line after a long gain, following which we fail to score. After leading 17-0 at half, the ranked Bears proceed to fall to the Cats in a loss that would ultimately keep us out of the Rose Bowl for the second time in three years.

No, I'm not bitter . . .
JSC 76
UrsusTexicanus said:

JSC 76 said:

Correction, 2014 it was 31-13 Cal going into the 4th Quarter. Then the epic defensive collapse ... sigh.
Right, my wording was ambiguous. 36-14 was the points put up *during* the 4th quarter.
Beardog26
Add the game which was close in the fourth quarter and Nick Foles caught his own deflected forward pass and proceeded to throw another forward pass on the same play, which was correctly called back due to penalty.

Bears won, amid a bunch of craziness.
HighlandDutch
Beardog26 said:

Add the game which was close in the fourth quarter and Nick Foles caught his own deflected forward pass and proceeded to throw another forward pass on the same play, which was correctly called back due to penalty.

Bears won, amid a bunch of craziness.
HighlandDutch
Add 2002: Cal is putting the finishing touches on a remarkable turnaround in Tedford's first year, while Arizona players are in open revolt against coach John Mackovic. Arizona comes into Memorial and beats Cal nonetheless, putting up 52 points.
PtownBear1
You guys are recalling the wrong games. My fondest memories are shutting out AZ in back to back seasons while Stoops made funny faces and had a borderline heart attack on the sidelines.
HighlandDutch
PtownBear1 said:

You guys are recalling the wrong games. My fondest memories are shutting out AZ in back to back seasons while Stoops made funny faces and had a borderline heart attack on the sidelines.
The latter of those games ('05) was our most recent shutout.

I do miss Stoops (and Teevens, and Hackett, and the UW version of Gilbertson....)
BearsWiin
1989: Cal falls behind 21-0 in the first quarter, BearPipes and I decide to leave the student section and go bowling at the ASUC. So we walk down, bowl two games, then walk back up Bancroft to my co-op by the stadium, and we hear lots of cheering. We get inside and turn on the radio just in time to hear the end of the game, where the Bears came back to win 29-28. At that point I decided never to leave another Cal game early, for any reason. Didn't leave another game early until the 2010 Big Game, when I stood up at halftime and, to my wife's great surprise, announced that I was going home.

(I fully expected to leave the 2007 USC game early, night game in the rain, as father, BIL, and I were waiting for wife to say she was ready to leave. She never did, and afterwards when we were all laughing that we were waiting for her to make the call, she said "I didn't realize that was an option.")
calBlitz
BearsWiin said:

1989: Cal falls behind 21-0 in the first quarter, BearPipes and I decide to leave the student section and go bowling at the ASUC. So we walk down, bowl two games, then walk back up Bancroft to my co-op by the stadium, and we hear lots of cheering. We get inside and turn on the radio just in time to hear the end of the game, where the Bears came back to win 29-28. At that point I decided never to leave another Cal game early, for any reason. Didn't leave another game early until the 2010 Big Game, when I stood up at halftime and, to my wife's great surprise, announced that I was going home.

(I fully expected to leave the 2007 USC game early, night game in the rain, as father, BIL, and I were waiting for wife to say she was ready to leave. She never did, and afterwards when we were all laughing that we were waiting for her to make the call, she said "I didn't realize that was an option.")

This game was on regional telecast (one of the few times Cal on TV in the 1980s). When the score was 21-0, one of the TV announcers actually said something along the lines "Why are we here?". Ouch!
Yogi58
JSC 76 said:

I was wondering what the tie was that they were referring to in our records against Top 10 teams. Little before my time.
run2win
https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaGridiron/posts/1693373900736410
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
run2win
1993 game recap:

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaGridiron/posts/1698494023557731
joeroth12.com
X: @calgridiron
Facebook: California Gridiron
burritos
Joe Ayoob beat Zona. Hah!
BearlyCareAnymore
run2win said:

https://www.facebook.com/CaliforniaGridiron/posts/1693373900736410

They missed a pivotal play in that recap. I think it was when Cal scored to make it 26-10, Arizona returned the kickoff for a touchdown that would make it 33-10. However, an Arizona player in the open field miles behind the play absolutely blasted our kicker who was a little guy. He went flying parallel to the ground. The whole stadium saw it. Everyone went nuts. The penalty nullified the return and a Cal team that had been moribund was incensed. All hell broke loose on the Wildcats after that.
KoreAmBear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

2006: Dante Hughes called for phantom PI in the end zone on what would have been a game saving interception; Desean Jackson steps about a 1/4 inch out of bounds on a would-be long touchdown; and Lavelle Hawkins stumbles and falls, untouched, at the UA 1-yard line after a long gain, following which we fail to score. After leading 17-0 at half, the ranked Bears proceed to fall to the Cats in a loss that would ultimately keep us out of the Rose Bowl for the second time in three years.

No, I'm not bitter . . .

Since we lost to SC we still would not have made the Rose Bowl. But wait didn't they lose to UCLA the week after so we would have made it? OK you can be bitter again.
Cave Bear

I really enjoyed 2009 at home vs #18 Arizona. It was a grindfest for 58 minutes, followed by a very satisfying finish. The crowd really brought it that night--as they usually did for Tedford's teams in big games. Everyone around me went bananas when Vereen ran that one in, including myself.

People forget just how good the Tedford era was. It ended sourly but there were a lot of great wins, especially at Memorial.
bencgilmore
FuzzyWuzzy said:

No, I'm not bitter . . .
And a final drive, where I vow to the entire Bears Lair that I will chug a beer for each first down.

4 first downs and a dizzy head later, pretty sure Nate threw one of those pick-6s (not exactly sure how we screwed up but we did). And it was off to Kips for shots and an early bedtime.

f*** that game
ursa carolina
Yogi Bear said:

JSC 76 said:

I was wondering what the tie was that they were referring to in our records against Top 10 teams. Little before my time.
Was my first Cal game, and the onset of the addiction. We were behind early. David Lewis was our first round pick tight end, and Kapp sent him wide, where he beat the DB long. Gilbert hit him in stride, and I was a Cal fan for life.

It was the Ron Rivera savior game at A & M that started the season. The rest of the year kinda sucked though.
chalcidbear
And for the Cal-Arizona series overall, Arizona leads with 16 wins to Cal's 14 wins with 2 ties.
GMP
KoreAmBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

No, I'm not bitter . . .

Since we lost to SC we still would not have made the Rose Bowl. But wait didn't they lose to UCLA the week after so we would have made it? OK you can be bitter again.

I know many have argued that SC was still incentivized to win that game against UCLA because the loss cost them a shot at the NCG. But I'm a believer in the Butterfly Effect in sports, and if a win means the NCG and a loss means the Holiday Bowl, I think it changes things vs a win means the NCG and the Rose Bowl is already locked up.

Btw, I always post this whenever that 2006 season is mentioned but I can never stop. The way the season ended, had Oregon State beaten Wazzu earlier in the year, Cal would have been in the Rose Bowl. It would have been a 3-way tie with Cal, SC, and Oregon State, and we had the tiebreaker. That one always gets me.
azgreg
chalcidbear said:

And for the Cal-Arizona series overall, Arizona leads with 16 wins to Cal's 14 wins with 2 ties.
Here's a cool site for stuff like that.
http://football.stassen.com/records/opponent.html
Bear8
FuzzyWuzzy said:

No, I'm not bitter . . .
Watched that game the other night and what stood out was Tedford's lack of imagination in calling for plays at the goal line. He ran Marshwn straight into the middle of the line twice and Lynch, as good as he was, seemed overwhelmed by a DL and a LB stopping his progress. The third down try was a terrible choice by Longshore to throw a low pass almost no one could catch. Tedford didn't use the fake, didn't take Lynch off tackle, just straight up the middle. I recall the many complaints about Tedford's conservatism in play- calling and they were on display prominently in this game. Longshore left a lot to be desired too. I don't really like to badmouth a former player, but the several games I've seen lately on Pac12 Network convince me that Nate wasn't all that great compared to Goff or Webb Davis. He was surrounded by tremendous talent on that team: DJ, Lynch, Hawkins, Jordan, Mack, Mebane, Bishop, Williams, Pimental, Forsett, Cameron and others.

The announcers pronounced the penalty against Hughes as "horrendous" and that Steptoe actually commenced the hand-fight between the two players. With today's rules would that call be overturned after review? I don't think you can review it? Maybe the coach can get his one review?? Not sure.
boredom
GMP said:

KoreAmBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

No, I'm not bitter . . .

I know many have argued that SC was still incentivized to win that game against UCLA because the loss cost them a shot at the NCG. But I'm a believer in the Butterfly Effect in sports, and if a win means the NCG and a loss means the Holiday Bowl, I think it changes things vs a win means the NCG and the Rose Bowl is already locked up.

Btw, I always post this whenever that 2006 season is mentioned but I can never stop. The way the season ended, had Oregon State beaten Wazzu earlier in the year, Cal would have been in the Rose Bowl. It would have been a 3-way tie with Cal, SC, and Oregon State, and we had the tiebreaker. That one always gets me.

My recollection is that if we won the AZ game we would've probably gone to the RB. Yes, who knows what else changes but there wasn't much season left at that point. I don't remember all the details but we probably would've been eligible to be selected as the at large replacement for USC if they were in the title game. If the powers that be decided to drop USC from 2nd and replace them with #4 Florida then we would've been SOL. Off course, by the butterfly theory, perhaps we beat USC if we beat UA that year.

(it is possible that we slip vs furd if we won vs UA but my recollection is that we mailed in the game and still won; they were pretty bad back then and we were really good)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.