Who is your most tolerated former Stan. player in the NFL?

6,285 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Anarchistbear
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not meant to be a fanboy thread, but just a thought exercise given that it's rivalry week. We obviously don't like these mofos when they're in college, but sometimes after years as a pro one can acquire a tolerance for maybe one or two, based on their play as a pro.

Who is your most tolerated retired and active player from there?

Retired: Jim Plunkett. I was disappointed that the Raiders beat the Eagles in the first Super Bowl that I ever watched, and I was a Dan Fouts/Charger fan so I rooted against him at least twice every year, but overall I respected how effective, scrappy, and in command he was.

Active: Richard Sherman. I respect that he speaks his mind and that he's among the game's best at his position, despite not being the most physically gifted.
75bear
This must be a trick question.
Strykur
Richard Sherman, because don't you ever talk about him.
Sebastabear
You must be joking. Screw them all.
rathokan
i'll bite, but will go w/ the NBA:

As a Lakers fan I'd have to go with Mark Madsen
Yogi58
Plunkett for all-time. Current players- most of them don't move me.
tim94501
**** em all except the ones on the niners (a lot)
Another Bear
Definitely Jim Plunkett. He grew up very modestly in San Jose, so he's local. Both his parents were/are blind. He could have easily gone to Cal but Furd is closer to home and back then it wasn't the same place as now. Then he resurrected his career after being pummeled in New England and left for nought, and won a Super Bowl with da Raiders. He over-came adversity and won. Sadly I hear he's now in terrible pain given his time in the NFL.
Seogju
The one i disliked the most is Elway. Still find myself rooting against the Broncos with him as GM. Only root for CJ on that team.
MoragaBear
Staff
Plunkett and Gene Washington. And as Tim said, any 49ers. And certainly not Sherman. Can't stand that dude.

Will never forget when he made a play to save the game and send Seattle to the Super Bowl and all he can do in his interview instead of celebrating is scream at the camera about how he was disrespected because they dared to throw his way to Crabtree, who apparently he'd been trading trash talk with all game.

Seattle has a corner on the market of angry d-bags in Sherman and Baldwin.

XXXBEAR
This question suggests weakness-especially this week. I cannot override my programming.

I'll change the question-which is your favorite player to hate...

Shane Skov (isn't that enough?)
Elway
Shaw
Gilmore
Harbaugh
Any Furd kicker
TD Tommy Vardell And any Furd player with a nickname...
any 6'9" or taller tight end
Entire band, dollies, and fake a$$ Tree mascot

GranadaHillsBear
I prefer this gif during the Super Bowl

SRBear
ducky23
The only correct answer here is Jason Collins
philbert
I can tolerate John Lynch now that he's the 49ers GM.
okaydo
I have immense respect for John Elway because of his grown-up reaction to The Play.
Big C
XXXBEAR said:

This question suggests weakness-especially this week. I cannot override my programming.

Elway
Shaw
Gilmore
Harbaugh
Any Furd kicker

That is quite a list: Really hoping for a win Saturday!

Go Bears!!!
drizzlybears brother
MoragaBear said:

Plunkett and Gene Washington. And as Tim said, any 49ers. And certainly not Sherman. Can't stand that dude.

Will never forget when he made a play to save the game and send Seattle to the Super Bowl and all he can do in his interview instead of celebrating is scream at the camera about how he was disrespected because they dared to throw his way to Crabtree, who apparently he'd been trading trash talk with all game.

You should do more reading on Baldwin. He's sullen and irascible, but also intent, deliberate, and purposeful. Of all those engaged in the Kaepernick controversy, I bet Baldwin accomplishes the most.

On the field he has well overachieved his undrafted skill set, but I wouldn't be surprised if his greatest legacy comes off the field.

Apologies in advance for not speaking more ill of the dirty furd.
PtownBear1
I'm going to go with that giant baby that claimed he was getting bullied by his fellow offensive lineman a few years ago. Typical furd.
Beararama
What a sweet play by Sherman. Punked the 49ers and they have never been the same. Hall of Fame surely awaits Sherman.
dajo9
Ty Montgomery, because he's on my fantasy team
travelingbears
dajo9 said:

Ty Montgomery, because he's on my fantasy team
I was going to say this as well, with the kicker of "was my tolerated player until I dropped his a** a couple weeks ago."
wifeisafurd
Met Plunkett a few times and he is a class act. Also quite modest.

David Decastro because we met him and he spent a lot time playing with our dog and chatting us up. Nice intelligent kid - sorta like talking to Alex Mack, wants to talk about other things than just football.

FWIW, I could spend a ton of time talking about Cal kids I like.
59bear
Original 49'er Frankie Albert!
going4roses
Go Steelers !!!!
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
calbear93
XXXBEAR said:

Elway
Shaw
Gilmore
Harbaugh
Any Furd kicker

Agree with most of this other than Harbaugh. Yes, he was the start of the Stanford football renaissance, but he is more Michigan (as a player and current coach) than he is Stanford. Also, I would put Gilmore above Shaw.

The fact that Sherman is the most popular Stanford player is all you really need to know. For me, the players I would respect are Plunkett and Lynch.
LunchTime
MoragaBear said:

That rant is apparently because of a charity softball game.
AunBear89
After an unfortunate encounter at the Tressider Union bowling alleys in Spring 1981, and to further tweak my friends who were slavishly devoted to the 'furd, I made John Elway the focus of my earliest 'furd hatred.

But I was Denver Broncos fan long before I became a Cal fan....
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Bear19
Sebastabear said:

+1
Californication
Nah, Sherman is a punk and a dirty player. His use of the media to bad mouth opponents is disgusting and shows just how insecure he is that he has to tear down others to feel good.

I'll go with Andrew Luck. Seems classy enough and would have been a great fit in Berkeley.
okaydo
Oursol
John Brodie.

Oakland Tech
Stanford
49ers

Got to excuse that mistake in the middle.
NYCGOBEARS
Plunkett's a class act. I've got nothing bad to say about him other than he's a Furdie.
GoldenBearofCalifornia
Sebastabear said:

At least one person got the answer right.
82gradDLSdad
triplebear said:

Definitely Jim Plunkett. He grew up very modestly in San Jose, so he's local. Both his parents were/are blind. He could have easily gone to Cal but Furd is closer to home and back then it wasn't the same place as now. Then he resurrected his career after being pummeled in New England and left for nought, and won a Super Bowl with da Raiders. He over-came adversity and won. Sadly I hear he's now in terrible pain given his time in the NFL.

Little bit of Plunkett trivia...my high school teacher/coach and long time NFL coach/exec Mike Holmgren was furd's first choice for a high school QB recruit back in 67 Holmgren was a great QB from SF's Lincoln hs and decided to go to USC. He ended up 2nd string there because I guess he couldn't handoff to OJ Murderer very well. Plunkett was a QB/DE in hs and rumor was that the furd liked Holmgren for QB and Plunkett for DE.

Obviously both men thrived. I know for a fact that Mike Holmgren is a very good person. Plunkett seems so too. They both overcame their horrible college choices.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.