Proud of this team!!!

3,755 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by I Bear
calbearsfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Competed despite all the injuries. Future looks bright.
Yogi58
I'm just not up for this type of thread right now. I'm tired of losing Big Game every year.
Troll On You Bears
Yogi Bear said:

I'm just not up for this type of thread right now. I'm tired of losing Big Game every year.

Amen
pappysghost
I agree. We played with a lot of heart and focus today. We needed to make about 2 more plays. The pick really hurt because they weren't stopping us. We'll be damn tough next year. Hopefully we can bring it next week at UCLA. We deserve a bowl.
sycasey
Lots of folks won't want to hear it right now, but I agree.
rocketsBLUEglare
Yes. Agree. Hurts like hell, but it feels different this time. Love this team and staff. My optimism for the future feels similar to 2003. Let's beat fucla, win a bowl game, and...
calgldnbear
Boys played tough and about as good as they could. This year has been better than expected and the injuries to our key players have been extremely devastating ... Imagine if furd lost Love for the season in their second or third game of the year.

I am pleased with the trajectory of the team and coaching staff. Tough loss but not a complete collapse like in recent years. Take heart Bears and Bear fans, good things are coming in the future

Go Bears ...... Always
touchdownbears43
Next weekend is gonna be a huge emotional let down for both teams
rkt88edmo
calbearsfan said:

We still have one and hopefully 2 games left. I'll save my sunshine and thoughts of the future until then.
upsetof86
touchdownbears43 said:

Next weekend is gonna be a huge emotional let down for both teams

Agree it will be a complete and utter gut check on a short week no less. Who wants it. One game winner take all.
philly1121
Yogi Bear said:

Amen. Next thing he'll bring up is how great a student Bowers is. I really don't want to hear any of this peppy talk right now. 8 years in a row. It's bad.
XXXBEAR
Best road effort of the year. Great job on Love, and strong effort all around. Loved the fake punt, Laird's balls out effort, and going for two. We were a foot off on a field goal!

It's not fair to just blame Bowers- but I sure wish he hadn't thrown that last off balance wobbler when all the momentum was in our favor.

This team has proved it is ready to move up with great efforts against three ranked teams this year - USC, WSU, and Stanford. They'll have to play hard again on the road in a short week next but if they can run they can win.
NVBear78
Yogi Bear said:

Those of us at the actual game saw we were so close to winning we can almost taste it. But we still salute these players and coaches for competing their guts out. Proud to have watched this team, they are a joy to watch compete because they get the most out of their abilities and love the battle.
MugsVanSant
The turning point of the game was the pass interference call in the second quarter. It kept the Stanford drive alive and resulted in Stanford's first touchdown. From where I sat it was a bad call. I looked like a clean break up to me. I haven't seen any replays yet. I haven't heard anyone else say anything about it.
NVBear78
Agreed. It happened right in front of us and we saw our guy break up the pass.
calumnus
MugsVanSant said:

The turning point of the game was the pass interference call in the second quarter. It kept the Stanford drive alive and resulted in Stanford's first touchdown. From where I sat it was a bad call. I looked like a clean break up to me. I haven't seen any replays yet. I haven't heard anyone else say anything about it.

The refs have been helping Stanford so much over the eight game streak that we've gotten used to it.
chazzed
MugsVanSant said:

No, you're right. Seeing the television replays during the game, Allensworth's play on the ball was clean. I'm really impressed with the way our D showed up in this game.
nowa68
Good defensive play...Typical Pac 12 officiating!
TheSouseFamily
chazzed said:

MugsVanSant said:

No, you're right. Seeing the television replays during the game, Allensworth's play on the ball was clean. I'm really impressed with the way our D showed up in this game.

The Allensworth play looked clean to me as well but we were the beneficiaries of a few bad calls too. In fact, the play just prior to the Allensworth PI probably should have been a PI on Bynum when he had his arm wrapped the waist of receiver and got away win it. Plus, the missed face mask on Kunaszyk the previous drive (which ended with a missed Furd FG) cost Furd 15 yards and would have given them a much easier FG opportunity or a better chance to score a TD.
SFCityBear
calbearsfan said:

Agreed. Who would have thunk it? Cal, with all the injuries, less highly rated personnel, an entirely new system and coaching staff, led by a guy with no previous experience as a head coach, a first year QB, a walk-on running back, and we play #22 Stanford almost to a standoff. The statistics were about dead even. One mistake too many. Take any one back, and Cal ties or beats the #22 team in the country.

Before the season began, how many of us thought that Cal would be one game away from a 6-6 record and a bowl invite? Cal deserves a bowl. Yesterday they played like it. Now they just need to knock off UCLA, which is eminently doable, providing there is no emotional letdown after a tough loss. I hated it when the PAC12 decided to break tradition and have some teams play another game after their big rivalry game. This year I think I like the idea. We've come a long way, baby.

Go Bears!

SFCityBear
pappysghost
calumnus said:

MugsVanSant said:

The refs have been helping Stanford so much over the eight game streak that we've gotten used to it.
I didn't see any PI there either. Our guy had good position and it looked like he did turn around some to me. Not much contact either. Still, that late pick was painful. We should have at least tied it on that drive. Not getting a stop at the end was also big. We had our chances.
6956bear
calbearsfan said:

I do like how hard they compete and play. I think the future does look better. But not sold on "bright". Depends on what you think is bright. They are still recruiting at a middling P12 level. Which means they need to add some real dynamic guys. Arizona is still awful on defense, but has added Tate an elite athlete to guide Rich Rods unique offense. He is the reason Arizona is going bowling. His special playmaking ability has allowed Arizona to beat some teams by simply outscoring them. Against USC and UO he was good but not otherworldly and their defense got torched.

I think the road to consistent 8-9 win seasons is still a ways away. Not enough depth or special playmaking types .
sycasey
6956bear said:

calbearsfan said:

I do like how hard they compete and play. I think the future does look better. But not sold on "bright". Depends on what you think is bright. They are still recruiting at a middling P12 level. Which means they need to add some real dynamic guys. Arizona is still awful on defense, but has added Tate an elite athlete to guide Rich Rods unique offense. He is the reason Arizona is going bowling. His special playmaking ability has allowed Arizona to beat some teams by simply outscoring them. Against USC and UO he was good but not otherworldly and their defense got torched.

I think the road to consistent 8-9 win seasons is still a ways away. Not enough depth or special playmaking types .

I expect at least a 3-year process to build up the roster.
59bear
I think we can be proud of our performance yesterday, and all season for that matter, without seeing a quantum leap forward anytime soon. Color me hopeful but we need to see a lot of growth from the young guys who have stepped in and performed this year. It will be interesting to see how much getting our injured WRs back next year can help Bowers.
Nofado
I wish we would have run that 2 point play formation against AZ. I think it would have worked and Bowers had a wide open receiver in the back of the endzone. He didn't see him and fortunately he ran it in.
sirnet
I suppose we can either look at the positives from last night - holding aa #20 ranked Pac 12 team to a three point advantage - play with an entirely new coaching Staff - play with a lot of missing starters.......or we can POUT!!!!!
I Bear
Count me in the "proud" group for this year's team. Best WR out, best DE out, best LB's out, best RB out, mediocre QB(sorry Bowers, you got heart but...) and we still a realistic shot a bowl game. NO ONE at the beginning to this year believed that we would a fighting chance a bowl game this year. We have good coaches and I like what the future looks like for the BEARS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.