Meanwhile - Rumors From the Coaching Carousel

11,120 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TheSouseFamily
FloriDreaming
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chip Kelly to UCLA. Many sources. Official.
Yogi58
Uthaithani said:

Chip Kelly to UCLA. Many sources. Official.
I won't believe it until confirmed by Cleveland Sports.
Another Bear
The NCAA just re-opened the Chip Kelly file. This isn't the first coach they hired with a checkered past. Neuheisel left a trail for the NCAA as well. Oh and the LA press is going to LOVE Chippie, /s
BerlinerBaer
tequila4kapp said:

heartofthebear said:

KoreAmBear said:

heartofthebear said:

BearSD said:

Another rumor:

The gist of this Oregon sportswriter's column is that it appears Beau Baldwin is a leading candidate for the Beavers' head coaching job. Bronco Mendenhall is also mentioned, though he's already said that he has no interest in leaving Virginia for Oregon State.

I think Beau is better of staying at cal for at least another year. But if he leaves, Bowers will have his 4th OC in 4 years. That must really suck.
That would be good move for Oregon State.
I think Baldwin's stock would be better after another year developing his offense and players. He has not really proven yet that he will be successful in the pac-12. And he will have less to work with at OSU. If he thinks he can assemble a better coaching staff at OSU then he has at Cal then maybe. But those guys would have to recruit their tales off to have a roster anywhere near what Cal has lined up for 2018. He could probably line up a resume and land more money and a better contract in a year or two. Now, if UCLA wants him, he's gonna jump. And I am concerned about whoever UCLA gets poaching our assistant coaching ranks. I'm particularly concerned about our line coaches jumping to another pac-12 team that has money.

This is one reason why we really need a true AD on staff at Cal. We need someone who will be able to retain our assistants in a bidding war.
It seems inconceivable to me that UCLA would even sniff Baldwin for their HC job; they'll aim significantly higher than that. OSU on the other hand...Baldwin feels about right. I think that would be a really solid hire for them and I do think it would ultimately hurt Cal. Baldwin is good, he was just hamstrung by stuff that's been discussed on the board before. Cal needs to up the ante and find a way to keep him.
There is nothing Cal can offer Baldwin to keep him here as an OC if another P5 school wants him as head coach.

If he turns OSU down this year, it is only to hold out for a better future offer. We need to accept that he won't be here very long. He's gone after next season, at the latest, IMO.
FloriDreaming
NYCGOBEARS said:

OSU is a career killer.

I hope the irony here was intentional, fellow Cal fan.
BigDaddy
BearSD said:

Quote:

Come on now UCLA did not fire Mora to go cheap and hire Baldwin, or anyone in that class who from day one will likely not even be as good as Mora.
Yeah, if UCLA doesn't get Chip, they'll snag someone like Kevin Sumlin (who is going to be fired by Texas A&M after Saturday's game). Their absolute fallback if everyone else falls through for them is Fisch, not Baldwin.

If Arizona State decides to part ways with Todd Graham... I'd say that's 50/50... expect Kevin Sumlin to also be at the top of their short list. Sumlin is out after the Aggies game with LSU on Saturday.
cubzwin
It's must be a done deal since UCLA is 7 percentage points ahead in the latest MSNBC poll and UF has "no conceivable pathway" to a Chip Kelly hire.
packawana
Yahoo is reporting Kelly and Florida have stopped talking to each other. It looks like he's headed to UCLA.
socaliganbear
IF they're going to get him, I hope UCLA pays him an obscene amount of money. Better for us when we inevitably have to pony up big for Wilcox.
FloriDreaming
socaliganbear said:

IF they're going to get him, I hope UCLA pays him an obscene amount of money. Better for us when we inevitably have to pony up big for Wilcox.

Wherever he goes I have no doubt the pay will be obscene. And no certainty he will get the results he got at Oregon. I felt like Petersen was a sure fire success hire for UW. Don't feel that way about Chip. Lot of his players at Oregon couldn't play at UCLA for academic reasons.
BerlinerBaer
The Compliance Department staff down in Westwood will need to get paid seven figures as well, and they'd be earning every penny.
Another Bear
My guess, the Chip Kelly experience will blow up in about 3 years at UCLA. He doesn't care about academics, UCLA is still a tough school and the trouble a kid can get into in LA is yuuuuuge. The LA press will probably love him at first but once he goes sourpuss, they'll dig in and go after him.
ColoBear
Another one bites the dust, Bret Bielema fired by Arkansas within minutes of losing to Missouri this afternoon.
SRBear
Kelly should be able to parlay all the openings for a very large contract.
calumnus
triplebear said:

My guess, the Chip Kelly experience will blow up in about 3 years at UCLA. He doesn't care about academics, UCLA is still a tough school and the trouble a kid can get into in LA is yuuuuuge. The LA press will probably love him at first but once he goes sourpuss, they'll dig in and go after him.

LA also has the pro teams: Rams, Chargers and Trojans competing for football attention and dollars. I don't see Kelly's personality being a good fit. However, his strategy is great for college and could be extraordinarily good for UCLA if he is able to tap into their natural advantages.
calgldnbear
Kelly is a pompous arrogant a-hole. He will rub lots of people the wrong way, do some shady crap and not care per usual

On top of that, he isn't that great of a coach but whatever
Strykur
calgldnbear said:

On top of that, he isn't that great of a coach but whatever
Anarchistbear
Chip's got a 30 something girlfriend who used to work as a Director at Oregon. This might make the Bruins job more attractive- she could always get a job there as Chancellor or something.
TheSouseFamily
BerlinerBaer said:

The Compliance Department staff down in Westwood will need to get paid seven figures as well, and they'd be earning every penny.

More likely: UCLA cuts funding to the Compliance Dept to just a few figures.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.