Wilner's AD Names

10,282 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by socaliganbear
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/06/you-want-potential-candidates-for-the-cal-ad-search-the-hotline-has-potential-candidates-for-the-cal-ad-search/

A couple familiar names: Amy Trask, Peter Wright...
ColoradoBear
Interesting notion that the finances (aka cuts and/or facilities relocation for debt service reduction) being decided before the hire would make the job more appealing. Of course kicking the can down the road is easiest in many ways politically, but a lot of candidates might not want to be the one holding the bag, and it's not a secret there will be a bag o poo to be held if changes are not made to the finances.
wifeisafurd
ColoradoBear said:

Interesting notion that the finances (aka cuts and/or facilities relocation for debt service reduction) being decided before the hire would make the job more appealing. Of course kicking the can down the road is easiest in many ways politically, but a lot of candidates might not want to be the one holding the bag, and it's not a secret there will be a bag o poo to be held if changes are not made to the finances.
[major retraction]

I don't see a decision on teams in the next couple months, but then again, what do I know?

I do think the debt reduction will be finalized.
ColoradoBear
wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

1) Wilner is more tuned into Cal than other sports writer at the moment.
2) I can't comment on Wilner's selections specifically other than to say, he does have at least two names correct, and I do not know many of the names the search consultants have contacted.

I don't see a decision on teams in the next couple months, but then again, what do I know?
In addition to sports cuts, a final, final decision on the stadium debt and edwards would go a long way too.
socaliganbear
ColoradoBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

2) I can't comment on Wilner's selections specifically other than to say, he does have at least two names correct, and I do not know many of the names the search consultants have contacted.

In addition to sports cuts, a final, final decision on the stadium debt and edwards would go a long way too.
Those two seem well above the AD. The next AD may advise and help structure, but I'd imagine Christ will make the final calls on that.
ColoradoBear
socaliganbear said:

ColoradoBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

Those two seem well above the AD. The next AD may advise and help structure, but I'd imagine Christ will make the final calls on that.
Of course the chancellor makes the call. That's the point. The chancellor doing something now before the new AD comes in makes their job a lot easier.

Coming into the AD job without any clarity on the finances means a large amount of time/effort would have to be spent fundraising for the non-rev sports or diverting money away from FB.... something that gets in the way of being competitive at football, which is a major component of how the AD will likely be measured. (And sadly winning might only be a priority because putting a garbage product on the field means more huge hits to revenue).

Cutting the stadium debt in half (presumably the yearly payments in half too) would lop $9 million off the $20 million deficit. But if the tradeoff for that is being revenue neutral by 2020 (or whenever), that's still $11 million to account for. So again clarity on whether the dept is expected to cut/raise $20 million or $11 million, or anything else is really important, especially if the AD might have other job opportunities.
socaliganbear
Right... but isn't the debt reduction pretty much already a foregone conclusion, at least as far as the next AD is concerned? Can't imagine the Chancellor would go public with that unless she had pretty much already decided to do it. I would imagine that this is already a part of the pitch. Whether it happens in tomorrow, 5 months or 1 year from now, I don't see the next AD having much of a say on that either way. Cutting sports on the other hand, that's something that could very easily be dropped on the next person's lap.
ducky23
It's only a matter of time before Wilner bolts for the athletic. So you cheapskates better enjoy him while you can.

Amy trask would be awesome. She don't mess around
bear2034
I like that Amy Trask is an alum and has experience with football in the Bay Area. But can she deal with the UC?

wifeisafurd
oskirules said:

I like that Amy Trask is an alum and has experience with football in the Bay Area. But can she deal with the UC?

Can she fund raise?
CaliforniaEternal
Cutting sports does seem more than a few months away, because right now the decision on what to with Edwards has not been been studied in any detail. Cal needs to study any issue laboriously and then some before making a decision.
71Bear
CaliforniaEternal said:

Cutting sports does seem more than a few months away, because right now the decision on what to with Edwards has not been been studied in any detail. Cal needs to study any issue laboriously and then some before making a decision.
LOL...

When has Cal ever NOT studied "any issue laboriously and then some before making a decision".

Your comment was quite humorous (yes, I know you were being facetious)....
barabbas
wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

More than two names are correct
Jeff82
I'd take either of the people with UCLA experience. Not sure working at Northwestern, a private school that is basically the Furd of the midwest, translates to Cal. Amy Trask? Please. Anyone who learned under Al Davis is not going to be able to navigate the vast sea of stakeholders you have to deal with at Cal.
socaliganbear
Jeff82 said:

I'd take either of the people with UCLA experience. Not sure working at Northwestern, a private school that is basically the Furd of the midwest, translates to Cal. Amy Trask? Please. Anyone who learned under Al Davis is not going to be able to navigate the vast sea of stakeholders you have to deal with at Cal.
Maybe not, but I would say that navigating the NFL as female (back then) is just as hard if not harder.
Golden One
71Bear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

LOL...

When has Cal ever NOT studied "any issue laboriously and then some before making a decision".

He was just being truthful!
bear2034
71Bear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

LOL...

When it comes to construction projects, Cal is 10 times faster than anything the City of Berkeley does.
CaliforniaEternal
oskirules said:

71Bear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

LOL...

When it comes to construction projects, Cal is 10 times faster than anything the City of Berkeley does.

You are correct it's not the actual construction that will be a problem, it's the land use decision which many deans and faculty committees will demand a say in what will go there.
socaliganbear
CaliforniaEternal said:

oskirules said:

71Bear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

LOL...

You are correct it's not the actual construction that will be a problem, it's the land use decision which many deans and faculty committees will demand a say in what will go there.

The last time a large piece of land was up for grabs and departments were asked how they'd finance their projects we ended up with a new swim facility. Didn't take too long actually.
wifeisafurd
barabbas said:

wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

Negative. There is a difference between being contacted and being a candidate. Apparently search criteria has been made public, and many of the people referenced by Wilner don't meet the criteria. The lead from the search firm conducted Interviews with coaches and faculty, and today and tomorrow donors. Athletes next. Your better off not guessing at this juncture, as there are a myriad of people contacted and being suggested. There is no candidate pool currently, and at this juncture none of the people referenced by Wilner are being considered.
BearlyCareAnymore
wifeisafurd said:

barabbas said:

wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

Negative. There is a difference between being contacted and being a candidate. Apparently search criteria has been made public, and many of the people referenced by Wilner don't meet the criteria. The lead from the search firm conducted Interviews with coaches and faculty, and today and tomorrow donors. Athletes next. Your better off not guessing at this juncture, as there are a myriad of people contacted and being suggested. There is no candidate pool currently, and at this juncture none of the people referenced by Wilner are being considered.
I thought Wilner was pretty clear this was HIS list and none of it was based on any inside information. I stopped reading at that point.
wifeisafurd
OaktownBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

barabbas said:

wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

I thought Wilner was pretty clear this was HIS list and none of it was based on any inside information. I stopped reading at that point.
You would be correct.
Fyght4Cal
A commenter noted the absence of Maryland AD Kevin Anderson on Wilner's list. Seeing as how Anderson is on a 6-month "sabbatical" due in part, reportedly, to Anderson's name emerging in the Cal AD search. Do any of you insiders have any thoughts on his possible candidacy?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
bear2034
socaliganbear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

oskirules said:

71Bear said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

LOL...

The last time a large piece of land was up for grabs and departments were asked how they'd finance their projects we ended up with a new swim facility. Didn't take too long actually.
It also didn't take too long for the new Bancroft Residence Hall on Dana to get built, set to open in August.

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/02/08/new-uc-berkeley-residence-hall-track-open-august/
FloriDreaming
socaliganbear said:

Jeff82 said:

Maybe not, but I would say that navigating the NFL as female (back then) is just as hard if not harder.
Which makes her mildly interesting as a case study and utterly worthless as an AD. I 100% disagree with Wilner on this being a good choice.
socaliganbear
Uthaithani said:

socaliganbear said:

Jeff82 said:

Which makes her mildly interesting as a case study and utterly worthless as an AD. I 100% disagree with Wilner on this being a good choice.
The fact that she was a female in the NFL doesn't make her worth or unworthy. The fact that she's lead a large football organization does. Whether that's the route they do down or not, she has more experience running a football program AND a large athletic enterprise than most first time ADs.
Alkiadt
Fyght4Cal said:

A commenter noted the absence of Maryland AD Kevin Anderson on Wilner's list. Seeing as how Anderson is on a 6-month "sabbatical" due in part, reportedly, to Anderson's name emerging in the Cal AD search. Do any of you insiders have any thoughts on his possible candidacy?
He has zero chance.
He's a snake, and got caught being exactly that at Maryland. He contacted Cal, not the other way around. He just wants the job so he can get back to the Bay for the last three years he works.
This is a guy who epitomizes the Peter Principle. He really hasn't achieved anything anywhere, just moved around latching on to ongoing projects/successes (see Oregon State's Football stadium renovation; my Beaver friends are still asking what he did there...). He also got that Maryland job and was extremely fortunate that the Under Armor guy was a Maryland grad. What has Maryland achieved under Anderson?
ColoradoBear
Alkiadt said:

Fyght4Cal said:

He has zero chance.
He's a snake, and got caught being exactly that at Maryland. He contacted Cal, not the other way around. He just wants the job so he can get back to the Bay for the last three years he works.
This is a guy who epitomizes the Peter Principle. He really hasn't achieved anything anywhere, just moved around latching on to ongoing projects/successes (see Oregon State's Football stadium renovation; my Beaver friends are still asking what he did there...). He also got that Maryland job and was extremely fortunate that the Under Armor guy was a Maryland grad. What has Maryland achieved under Anderson?

If he approved their ugly azz uniforms, he should never work again.

Fyght4Cal
Alkiadt said:

Fyght4Cal said:

He has zero chance.
Interesting. Thanks for that. What's the protocol for contacts between athletics departments and candidates/job-seekers?
wifeisafurd
Fyght4Cal said:

Alkiadt said:

Fyght4Cal said:

He has zero chance.
Interesting. Thanks for that. What's the protocol for contacts between athletics departments and candidates/job-seekers?
a headhunter hired by the University and an agent connect so everyone has deniability.
82gradDLSdad
socaliganbear said:

Uthaithani said:

socaliganbear said:

Jeff82 said:

The fact that she was a female in the NFL doesn't make her worth or unworthy. The fact that she's lead a large football organization does. Whether that's the route they do down or not, she has more experience running a football program AND a large athletic enterprise than most first time ADs.

I've always thought the football deserves its own director unless someone very special can run it and all the other sports. It makes no sense to me given the money involved to get someone who knows all about college athletics but little about running a successful football program.
Goobear
82gradDLSdad said:

socaliganbear said:

Uthaithani said:

socaliganbear said:

Jeff82 said:

I've always thought the football deserves its own director unless someone very special can run it and all the other sports. It makes no sense to me given the money involved to get someone who knows all about college athletics but little about running a successful football program.
Agreed
Fyght4Cal
wifeisafurd said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Alkiadt said:

Fyght4Cal said:

He has zero chance.
a headhunter hired by the University and an agent connect so everyone has deniability.
Gotcha. Thanks.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

oskirules said:

Can she fund raise?

My bet is she would be the best fundraiser on any list we end up with. I think she would be great at negotiating TV contacts, shoe contracts, and advocating for Cal at the Pac-12 office. Read anything about her, she is a dynamo and would dig into all aspects of the AD
Bear8
82gradDLSdad said:

socaliganbear said:

Uthaithani said:

socaliganbear said:

Jeff82 said:

Ah, yes, one more bureaucrat to duel with the co-AD for all other sports over money and power.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.