Umm, interesting Cal representative at the Winter Olympics

11,505 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bears2thDoc
ColoradoBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GMP said:

dajo9 said:

I give her credit for learning the rules and gaming the system, all to no harm to anybody

This isn't really accurate. There are 30 spots. She took one of them from someone who, while unlikely* to have a chance to medal, likely worked a lot harder at her craft than Swaney.

*I say unlikely given the story of the Czech snowboarder who qualified for the skiing Super-G and somehow won the gold. https://deadspin.com/czech-snowboarder-borrows-mikaela-shiffrins-skis-someh-1823095253

I've tried to find some better explanations to the qualification rules, and the wiki is the best I could do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_skiing_at_the_2018_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

While there were 30 slots possible, only 24 participated in womens' skiing halfpipe. So I don't see that she took anyone else's slot, unless Hungary had a limited number of athletes they were going to send and Swaney pushed out a competitor from a different sport.

The limitation of the total number of freestyle skiers from one country (30 total split between M and F) and from one country in one event (4) appears to be what kept the field in halfpipe from filling up. There are absolutely 100's of American pro boarders that would easily get in above Swaney, but the USA had maxed out at 4.

There are actually 5 events in freestyle skiing for both men and women, so a country that sends their full contingent (nominally 15 men and 15 women) will have to choose which events they send their athletes to, so many will be short of the max. Strategically, it would be in events where the athletes have a chance to medal (notice the US did not send participants in men's or women's skiercross - likely because our athletes in that discipline would not be competitive and no one really does that in the US anyway, while moguls, slopestyle and halfpipe are very popular).

I totally agree with your statement that jahvid is not even close to the same as swaney. He actually competes and to be honest isn't that much slower than Bolt, especially when compared to an average human. He is a seriously gifted athlete, as we all know. Even Eddie the Eagle's performance resembled actual training and competition - he may not have been world class by any means, but he did embrace the risk of ski jumping and you know, actually jump. Many times.

Not even completing a real trick is a different level of not being competitive. So many of the skiing events are truly dangerous (Sarah Burke, the sports' biggest female star died in 2012 after a training accident), and all competitors are risking their health in very serious ways every time they compete.

I mean look what happens if one misjudges just a bit:

I'm not saying risking death or injury is a requirement for being an olympic athlete, but a lot of these winter events do have a level of risk that is just huge, especially if one is not skilled.

Hopefully, Swaney doesn't start saying crazy things on TV or newspaper interviews. I mean I still think it's so absurd that it's kind of hilarious, as long as she doesn't dig herself a hole with statements that try make her appearance into something else.

bear2034
Most of the Yahoos who commented referred to the school as "Cal-Berkeley". What the heck?
GMP
ColoradoBear said:

GMP said:

dajo9 said:

I give her credit for learning the rules and gaming the system, all to no harm to anybody

This isn't really accurate. There are 30 spots. She took one of them from someone who, while unlikely* to have a chance to medal, likely worked a lot harder at her craft than Swaney.

*I say unlikely given the story of the Czech snowboarder who qualified for the skiing Super-G and somehow won the gold. https://deadspin.com/czech-snowboarder-borrows-mikaela-shiffrins-skis-someh-1823095253

I've tried to find some better explanations to the qualification rules, and the wiki is the best I could do:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_skiing_at_the_2018_Winter_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

While there were 30 slots possible, only 24 participated in womens' skiing halfpipe. So I don't see that she took anyone else's slot, unless Hungary had a limited number of athletes they were going to send and Swaney pushed out a competitor from a different sport.

The limitation of the total number of freestyle skiers from one country (30 total split between M and F) and from one country in one event (4) appears to be what kept the field in halfpipe from filling up. There are absolutely 100's of American pro boarders that would easily get in above Swaney, but the USA had maxed out at 4.

There are actually 5 events in freestyle skiing for both men and women, so a country that sends their full contingent (nominally 15 men and 15 women) will have to choose which events they send their athletes to, so many will be short of the max. Strategically, it would be in events where the athletes have a chance to medal (notice the US did not send participants in men's or women's skiercross - likely because our athletes in that discipline would not be competitive and no one really does that in the US anyway, while moguls, slopestyle and halfpipe are very popular).

I totally agree with your statement that jahvid is not even close to the same as swaney. He actually competes and to be honest isn't that much slower than Bolt, especially when compared to an average human. He is a seriously gifted athlete, as we all know. Even Eddie the Eagle's performance resembled actual training and competition - he may not have been world class by any means, but he did embrace the risk of ski jumping and you know, actually jump. Many times.

Not even completing a real trick is a different level of not being competitive. So many of the skiing events are truly dangerous (Sarah Burke, the sports' biggest female star died in 2012 after a training accident), and all competitors are risking their health in very serious ways every time they compete.

I mean look what happens if one misjudges just a bit:

I'm not saying risking death or injury is a requirement for being an olympic athlete, but a lot of these winter events do have a level of risk that is just huge, especially if one is not skilled.

Hopefully, Swaney doesn't start saying crazy things on TV or newspaper interviews. I mean I still think it's so absurd that it's kind of hilarious, as long as she doesn't dig herself a hole with statements that try make her appearance into something else.

Fair enough. I still think it's stupid and nothing to celebrate.
okaydo
TheSouseFamily said:

Shame on me for venturing into the comments section in the Yahoo piece but there are a few doozies. Guessing this was linked from Drudge or Breitbart.

"She went to Cal Berkeley..... That says it all.... She probably felt entitled"

"It's really simple - cal-Berk - Harvard, Works in SF - Participation awards are considered triumphant to these types."

"Well she went to Cal-Berkeley so she's used to getting participation trophies"

"She graduated from Cal-Berkeley ".............nuff said."

"She graduated from Cal Berkeley, Harvard and got herself to the Olympics despite not raising any crowd funding money... not gonna judge her at all because regardless of her skiing ability or lack thereof, this girl has accomplished WAY more than the folks criticizing her"

"She graduated from Cal-Berkeley".....There is your Problem"

"The woman graduated Berkeley, Harvard, and went on vacation to the Olympics... Surely, in education alone she's accomplished what many only dream of, so personally I have admiration for her drive in obtaining what she desires."

"She would be from Cal-Berkeley .....she would be a poster child for a Liberal mindset for gaming a " cultural " advantage to get what she wants ...and without a doubt she one day WILL be a Democratic politician from California"

"She graduated from UC Berkley. I guess we should just be happy that she hasn't assaulted anyone with opinions different from herself.....yet!"

"Did it for her participation medal. This is what Berkley manufactures."

"UC Berkley, full stop. enough said"

"Cal-Berkely. Harvard. Democrat uber libturd. Self deluded egoist. Why am I not surprised?"

"This article title could have been "Berkley student competes in Olympics for the participation trophy"

" should of known, Cal-Berkeley"

That is SO OUTRAGEOUS. Why do all those commenters use "Cal-Berkeley"!?!?!?!
TouchedTheAxeIn82
Amazing that people annoyed by Swaney completely overlook the fact that the biggest reason both Best and Swaney went to the Olympics was the same big dumb loophole. The idea that you can be born and raised in one country, yet you are allowed to represent a country that you've never even lived in, is ridiculous. I've always wanted this loophole closed, but as long as it exists, I have no problem with people taking advantage of it.

Aside from this loophole, I don't see her as gaming the system. All I see is a motivated person who did the work and achieved her goal.

Perhaps you should direct your ire at the system that created an Olympic event out of a sport that isn't even popular enough to keep Elizabeth Swaney out of the Olympics.
Bear19
ColoradoBear said:

Bear19 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Oh and she's a former coxswain for the cal men's rowing team
Crew is one of the most grueling sports there is when training. For real. That alone is an actual nontrivial accomplishment.
well you do know a coxswain does not actually row.
I do know that. They go through the same training as the rowers though.
Bear19
okaydo said:

They are the unwashed of this world, who've made the horrible choice not to attend Cal, for which they now must endure a lifetime of suffering for that sin. We are to pity them.
packawana
Bear19 said:

okaydo said:

They are the unwashed of this world, who've made the horrible choice not to attend Cal, for which they now must endure a lifetime of suffering for that sin. We are to pity them.
Also showing that frankly we are **** at branding.
82gradDLSdad
ColoradoBear said:

Bear19 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Crew is one of the most grueling sports there is when training. For real. That alone is an actual nontrivial accomplishment.

I even know this. They wain the coxs, right?
OdontoBear66
ColoradoBear said:

Bear19 said:

ColoradoBear said:

Very true, but then do you think a cox is but one light person sitting in a shell getting a free ride?
GMP
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Amazing that people annoyed by Swaney completely overlook the fact that the biggest reason both Best and Swaney went to the Olympics was the same big dumb loophole. The idea that you can be born and raised in one country, yet you are allowed to represent a country that you've never even lived in, is ridiculous. I've always wanted this loophole closed, but as long as it exists, I have no problem with people taking advantage of it.

Aside from this loophole, I don't see her as gaming the system. All I see is a motivated person who did the work and achieved her goal.

Perhaps you should direct your ire at the system that created an Olympic event out of a sport that isn't even popular enough to keep Elizabeth Swaney out of the Olympics.

I'm fairly convinced you've not actually seen the video of her run. She didn't put in any work. No one is annoyed about her country-shopping. That's not why this is a story.
oski003
If she didn't put in any work, then she is a hell of a skier. I've skied Tahoe and Mammoth all my life, and I can't do that without falling.

With that being said, it's still a mockery of the Olympics and this loophole should be closed.
wifeisafurd
bross said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Shame on me for venturing into the comments section in the Yahoo piece but there are a few doozies. Guessing this was linked from Drudge or Breitbart.

"It's really simple - cal-Berk - Harvard, Works in SF - Participation awards are considered triumphant to these types."

"She graduated from Cal Berkeley, Harvard and got herself to the Olympics despite not raising any crowd funding money... not gonna judge her at all because regardless of her skiing ability or lack thereof, this girl has accomplished WAY more than the folks criticizing her"

"The woman graduated Berkeley, Harvard, and went on vacation to the Olympics... Surely, in education alone she's accomplished what many only dream of, so personally I have admiration for her drive in obtaining what she desires."

"She would be from Cal-Berkeley .....she would be a poster child for a Liberal mindset for gaming a " cultural " advantage to get what she wants ...and without a doubt she one day WILL be a Democratic politician from California"

"She graduated from UC Berkley. I guess we should just be happy that she hasn't assaulted anyone with opinions different from herself.....yet!"

"Cal-Berkely. Harvard. Democrat uber libturd. Self deluded egoist. Why am I not surprised?"

"This article title could have been "Berkley student competes in Olympics for the participation trophy"

Pretty funny. If these clowns actually knew anything about UC Berkeley, they would know it is the opposite of a participation trophy culture. No chance any of these commenters could graduate.
And Harvard's George Plimpton was a literary genius doing essentially the same thing. The times they are a changing.
socaliganbear
Berkeley participation trophy, lol. If that were true, we'd probably have a higher giving rate.

Anyhow, they'll love our participation trophies in 2020 when Cal is dominating the olympics yet again...
dajo9
wifeisafurd said:

bross said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Pretty funny. If these clowns actually knew anything about UC Berkeley, they would know it is the opposite of a participation trophy culture. No chance any of these commenters could graduate.
And Harvard's George Plimpton was a literary genius doing essentially the same thing. The times they are a changing.
Good call - Swaney has a Harvard degree also. Another one of those participation trophy colleges.
American Vermin
bear2034
oski003 said:

If she didn't put in any work, then she is a hell of a skier. I've skied Tahoe and Mammoth all my life, and I can't do that without falling.

With that being said, it's still a mockery of the Olympics and this loophole should be closed.
She also has the financial means to travel to these competitions at a moments notice since it wouldn't make sense for her to attend one with a full list of highly qualified skiers.

bear2034

Even Sfgate used "Cal-Berkeley"?

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Elizabeth-Liz-Swaney-skier-Olympics-Hungary-12625748.php#photo-15105529

okaydo
oskirules said:

Even Sfgate used "Cal-Berkeley"?

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Elizabeth-Liz-Swaney-skier-Olympics-Hungary-12625748.php#photo-15105529

It's an Associated Press article. The same article appears in the Chicago Tribune with "Cal-Berkeley."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-bc-oly--fre-the-curious-case-of-liz-swaney-20180219-story.html

Here's an Associated Press article last month on Missy Franklin that doesn't mention "Cal-Berkeley."

Another Bear
My dad is an alum from '49. He calls it Cal Berkeley. He always called it Cal locally but Cal Berkeley if not.
philbert
Another Bear said:

My dad is an alum from '49. He calls it Cal Berkeley. He always called it Cal locally but Cal Berkeley if not.
That can be solved....by sending him over to BI.
okaydo

Hell yeah!!!!

gobears725
I think its pretty funny to see the outrage. She played by the same rules as any other competitor. A simple fix would be to limit the field the next time around, since there clearly arent enough world class caliber half pipe skiers out there.
Bear19
Bear19
Something is fueling this silly adventure. She seems to have a history of wanting to get attention focused on herself by figuring out ways to participate in sports she really isn't able to legitimately compete in or somehow acting "against the grain" of normal behavior.

- Wearing a crazy red & white sweater, as a Cal student, at a football game, and then posting a selfy of herself at the game grinning mischievously & declaring "my dad suggested I wear this!"

- Trying to be a coxwain on woman's crew, not because she loves crew (she did this for only two years) but because she obviously wasn't able to actually row & stick on the team.

- This strange odyssey to somehow, someway, get into the winter Olympics and put on a performance so bad it is dumbfounding.

Taken individually, maybe just "odd" or "admirable" depending on your view. Taken together, an indication that something is off kilter in her emotionally.

That's not a crime, but something strikes me that this isn't a mentally heathy way to live. Clinically, this is called narcissistic exhibitionism, and Swaney is a walking definition of that in the DSM-IV. Don't forget that there is a continuum , a matter of degrees, of narcissistic exhibitionism. I don't know where she falls exactly on the scale, but I know she's way beyond "normal" in this regard.
TheSouseFamily
I'd pay good money to see her in the Downhill and slowly snowplow it all the way down.
ducky23
Bear19 said:

That's not a crime, but something strikes me that this isn't a mentally heathy way to live. Clinically, this is called narcissistic exhibitionism, and Swaney is a walking definition of that in the DSM-IV. Don't forget that there is a continuum , a matter of degrees, of narcissistic exhibitionism. I don't know where she falls exactly on the scale, but I know she's way beyond "normal" in this regard.

Sounds like she'd make a good candidate for president
Bear19
ducky23 said:

Bear19 said:

Sounds like she'd make a good candidate for president
She could hardly do worse than who we've got now.
okaydo
I'm listening to Deadspin's newest podcast episode....

ThesePretzels
Randomly thought of this person this morning, so looked up her Instagram...

She bragged last month about finishing 3rd in her age group in Fremont in a marathon.

Turns out she ran a 5:33 marathon, there were only four people in her age group total, and the person behind her finished dead last in the marathon.

The hubris is amazing. We need to start positioning Cal football and basketball like this - "9th Best Division 1 basketball team in California!"

https://instagr.am/p/Bwxps4Rlrn4
[url=https://runsignup.com/race/results/?raceId=61011&remMeAttempt=#resultSetId-151738;perpage:10]https://runsignup.com/race/results/?raceId=61011&remMeAttempt=#resultSetId-151738;perpage:10[/url]

dajo9
XXXBEAR said:

I was going to tell you guys to shut up-at least she's in the Olympics, but then I saw the video...
I couldn't do it
American Vermin
TheSouseFamily
Actually, we were the 15th best D1 team in California this season according to the computer rankings, but I like your optimism!
RJABear
ThesePretzels said:

Randomly thought of this person this morning, so looked up her Instagram...

She bragged last month about finishing 3rd in her age group in Fremont in a marathon.

Turns out she ran a 5:33 marathon, there were only four people in her age group total, and the person behind her finished dead last in the marathon.

The hubris is amazing. We need to start positioning Cal football and basketball like this - "9th Best Division 1 basketball team in California!"

https://instagr.am/p/Bwxps4Rlrn4
[url=https://runsignup.com/race/results/?raceId=61011&remMeAttempt=#resultSetId-151738;perpage:10]https://runsignup.com/race/results/?raceId=61011&remMeAttempt=#resultSetId-151738;perpage:10[/url]

She did finish a marathon - which is an accomplishment for many.

I once finished second in a swim race, and only two people finished in my group. It was a no-wetsuit swim from SF to Marin under the Golden Gate Bridge. There was a storm. 20 people started. Only two of us finished. Makes for a fun story. I kept the medal.
golden sloth
Bear19 said:

Something is fueling this silly adventure. She seems to have a history of wanting to get attention focused on herself by figuring out ways to participate in sports she really isn't able to legitimately compete in or somehow acting "against the grain" of normal behavior.

- Wearing a crazy red & white sweater, as a Cal student, at a football game, and then posting a selfy of herself at the game grinning mischievously & declaring "my dad suggested I wear this!"

- Trying to be a coxwain on woman's crew, not because she loves crew (she did this for only two years) but because she obviously wasn't able to actually row & stick on the team.

- This strange odyssey to somehow, someway, get into the winter Olympics and put on a performance so bad it is dumbfounding.

Taken individually, maybe just "odd" or "admirable" depending on your view. Taken together, an indication that something is off kilter in her emotionally.

Perhaps you should not pretend you are able to psychoanalyze someone you never met and have only read a small number of articles about. Perhaps you should do what a normal person would do, shrug and move on.
ThesePretzels
RJABear said:

She did finish a marathon - which is an accomplishment for many.

I once finished second in a swim race, and only two people finished in my group. It was a no-wetsuit swim from SF to Marin under the Golden Gate Bridge. There was a storm. 20 people started. Only two of us finished. Makes for a fun story. I kept the medal.
Oh no, I think finishing a marathon is great! I actually ran the New York Marathon and finished first in my age group.*

And I'm OK with the caption "Finished my second marathon and placed third in the women's 30-34 age group!" but you have to complete the joke that there were four people total in the age group.

I just couldn't believe after the Olympics that she would unironically post something bragging about athletic performance when she only beat in her age group THE LAST PLACE FINISHER OF THE ENTIRE RACE.

*my age group being people born in the same hour, on the same day, as I was in 1980.
Bears2thDoc
okaydo said:

TheSouseFamily said:

LOL!!
Why are you jammin' on the commentators?
It ain't their fault....
Take a walk on campus sometime.....
BERKELEY this and BERKELEY that and CAL woven in between.
It's a freaking marketing joke...

Cheers!
Go Bears!!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.