OT: UC Plans to Build Housing at People's Park

21,140 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by socaliganbear
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's inevitable, it's going to happen. I don't have a single good memory about the park, never even tried playing pickup ball at the court.

After years of hands-off policy,UC plans to build housing on People's Park

UC Berkeley plans to build housing in People's Park
BearlyCareAnymore
oskirules said:

It's inevitable, it's going to happen. I don't have a single good memory about the park, never even tried playing pickup ball at the court.

After years of hands-off policy,UC plans to build housing on People's Park

UC Berkeley plans to build housing in People's Park

I've been saying to do this since the end of my freshman year
bear2034
Chancellor Christ has yet to make an announcement but it looks like 700 beds for students and a separate building for 100 homeless.

Sebastabear
Thank God. Get that blight off of the face of the earth. It's a major failure of the (prior) administration's courage and conviction that this situation has been allowed to continue for as long as it has. Time to use that land for the benefit of it's owner - the University of California and the people of the State of California.
NVBear78
Hurray!!!
bear2034
There's no such thing as an ideal location for a homeless shelter but who's going to step up and tell the mayor of Berkeley it doesn't make sense to provide one next to a student dormitory?

"Matty, where we supposed to go?"
"Don't know, but when we come back, they'll have free wifi."

socaliganbear
oskirules said:

There's no such thing as an ideal location for a homeless shelter but who's going to step up and tell the mayor of Berkeley it doesn't make sense to provide one next to a student dormitory?

I think the compromise is worth it. I lived next to a supportive housing (formerly homeless) in grad school and they were essentially out of sight. These facilities generally have pretty strict rules for residents.

The Chancellor wants to get the dorm built asap, and this will accomplish that. Additionally, the University will not fund, or manage it, some non-prof will.
Fyght4Cal
40 years ago I opposed building on PP, however I knew, with time, building a dorm there was a virtual certainty. I'm glad to hear that the new dorm will be joined with housing for the homeless. Seems like a very Berkeley solution.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
hanky1
I'm sure parents will love this.

Send your 18 yer old kids to Berkeley. Share dorms and a shower with the homeless.
socaliganbear
hanky1 said:

I'm sure parents will love this.

Send your 18 yer old kids to Berkeley. Share dorms and a shower with the homeless.
Snowflake
wifeisafurd
socaliganbear said:

oskirules said:

I think the compromise is worth it. I lived next to a supportive housing (formerly homeless) in grad school and they were essentially out of sight. These facilities generally have pretty strict rules for residents.

The Chancellor wants to get the dorm built asap, and this will accomplish that. Additionally, the University will not fund, or manage it, some non-prof will.
FWIW, there likely are 100 students you could put in the homeless shelter. Student housing is in crises.
Fyght4Cal
As inaccurate as your post may be, that notice is still better than, "Welcome to Berkeley. Best wishes on finding housing. With thoughts & prayers, C. Christ"
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
socaliganbear
wifeisafurd said:

socaliganbear said:

oskirules said:

FWIW, there likely are 100 students you could put in the homeless shelter. Student housing is in crises.
Good thing they're building more housing then. Personally, I'm for getting it done. The Chancellor appears to be so as well.
bear2034
socaliganbear said:

oskirules said:

I hope you're right but it's going to be hard to convince others without having the same experience you had.
bear2034
wifeisafurd said:

This is true, who are the real homeless here?

Homeless UC Berkeley Student Takes Care of His Whole Family

Homeless UC Berkeley student lives in refurbished school bus
bear2034
socaliganbear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Good thing they're building more housing then. Personally, I'm for getting it done. The Chancellor appears to be so as well.
Quote:

Quote:

Even as the park became increasingly plagued by vagrants and violence, former Mayor Tom Bates consistently argued it was a waste of time for the university to think about building there.

But within weeks of her appointment last summer, Christ hired a $92,000-a-year social worker to work exclusively with the park's intractable homeless population, signaling she was ready to take the first step toward developing the site.

ColoradoBear
Do it!

There might be some huge protest, but going forward it's what's best.
UrsaMajor
ColoradoBear said:

Do it!

it's a solid plan; there will also be some park left and a "memorial" to PP. While I'm sure there will be some protesting, with Jesse and Worthington behind it (i.e., the progressive wing of Berkeley government), my guess is that the protesting will be limited.

A correction to Hanky's post: right now there are dorms next to or near homeless. By definition, if we build the housing, the people there WON'T BE HOMELESS. Now if your concern is that students shouldn't be allowed to be near poorer people, that's a different thing...
TomBear
While I think this makes sense, when reading this thread my mind immediately went to the tree sitters that screwed up the stadium project so badly. Some believe protests will be minimal. I disagree. I just hope the University does a better job of handling it this time than it did with the tree sitters.

I admit to having mixed feelings about having facilities for homeless so close by. I'll be interesting to see what kind of precautions are taken to make sure there is no conflict.
azulviejo
Finally!!!
SRBear
packawana
It's a start but it's not enough. I hope the Edwards project also comes into fruition soon.
socaliganbear
The crazies will definitely protest. They have not yet died out. However, the city is behind the proposal so that's different than the stadium fiasco when Tom Bates himself came out against it .
chalcidbear
I'll make two predictions:

1. The University will go ahead with the plan to build (and there will be heated protests).

2. The first attempt at construction will be delayed due to arson.
Chapman_is_Gone
UrsaMajor said:

ColoradoBear said:

Do it!

it's a solid plan; there will also be some park left and a "memorial" to PP. While I'm sure there will be some protesting, with Jesse and Worthington behind it (i.e., the progressive wing of Berkeley government), my guess is that the protesting will be limited.

A correction to Hanky's post: right now there are dorms next to or near homeless. By definition, if we build the housing, the people there WON'T BE HOMELESS. Now if your concern is that students shouldn't be allowed to be near poorer people, that's a different thing...

Homelessness has little to do with poverty. It is all about hard core drug use, and/or mental illness, and/or criminal anti-social behavior. It is incredibly inappropriate to locate shelter for vagrants close to a bunch of 18 year old college freshman.

The entire parcel should be developed for students, and it should be made clear from day 1 that any protesting of construction will not be tolerated.
socaliganbear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

UrsaMajor said:

ColoradoBear said:

Do it!

Homelessness has little to do with poverty. It is all about hard core drug use, and/or mental illness, and/or criminal anti-social behvior. It is incredibly inappropriate to locate shelter for vagrants close to a bunch of 18 year old college freshman.

The entire parcel should be developed for students, and it should be made clear from day 1 that any protesting of construction will not be tolerated.
There is already a dorm directly across the street from PP, maybe 15 feet away. Turns out students are a lot less pearl clutchy. Now they get more housing and PP is gone? Sounds great.

Also, this isn't like some emergency shelter they're putting up. Supportive housing apartments are generally for the most at risk, elderly, women, children, abuse victims etc. Not just some drunk off the street who wants a place to crash for the night.
Chapman_is_Gone
socaliganbear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

UrsaMajor said:

ColoradoBear said:

Do it!

Homelessness has little to do with poverty. It is all about hard core drug use, and/or mental illness, and/or criminal anti-social behvior. It is incredibly inappropriate to locate shelter for vagrants close to a bunch of 18 year old college freshman.

There is already a dorm directly across the street from PP, maybe 15 feet away. Turns out students are a lot less pearl clutchy. Now they get more housing and PP is gone? Sounds great.

Also, this isn't like some emergency shelter they're putting up. Supportive housing apartments are generally for the most at risk, elderly, women, children, abuse victims etc. Not just some drunk off the street who wants a place to crash for the night.
Yea, I know dude, I live in that dorm. I'm very well aware of the area.

Your faith in vagrants and the Berkeley homeless services industry and its processes is far greater than mine.

Here's a story from just two days ago, which took place a few feet from the location we're discussing. I could share 100 other stories as well. I wonder if these two students were wearing pearls when they were nearly raped? What do you think, Socaliganbear?

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/04/30/berkeley-man-faces-felony-charges-after-sex-crimes-near-campus
socaliganbear
Chapman_is_Gone said:

socaliganbear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

UrsaMajor said:

ColoradoBear said:

Do it!

Yea, I know dude, I live in that dorm. I'm very well aware of the area.

Your faith in vagrants and the Berkeley homeless services industry and its processes is far greater than mine.

Here's a story from just two days ago, which took place a few feet from the location we're discussing. I could share 100 other stories as well. I wonder if these two students were wearing pearls when they were nearly raped? What do you think, Socaliganbear?

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2018/04/30/berkeley-man-faces-felony-charges-after-sex-crimes-near-campus
So it's great that they're developing the park, right? You mean they are going to screen and hand pick the people that get to live here and they're going to be under surveillance? No more lawless encampment land? This seems like a great great move. The area will be much better for it. That's what I think.
tequila4kapp
I lived in an apartment 2 buildings away from PP. I am nothing but happy that monstrosity will go away.
hanky1
tequila4kapp said:

I lived in an apartment 2 buildings away from PP. I am nothing but happy that monstrosity will go away.

Me too. Literally 2 buildings away off Dwight. I still remember going to sleep every night and hearing the bums screaming in the Park. I joked with my roommates that they were serenading us to sleep.
bear2034
I remember the first day I arrived in Berkeley, moved into Unit 2. My mom helped me move in and we were on our way to the old Andronico's on Telegraph to get some stuff. It was dark by the time we passed by People's Park in all its glory and we were both thinking to ourselves then, what da fuq is this?
91/95
It's only been 49 years . . . There is a long history of violent protests regarding People's Park (even deadly protests).
I hope this works out, but I am not overly optimistic.
There were even major protests when volleyball courts were added.
A lifetime of suffering as a Cal fan.
Sebastabear
Seriously this "park" (and only in a very twisted world could it deserve that designation) is gross and has been for a long time. It's a drug den perched on a prime piece of real estate that Cal desperately needs. PP long ago lost whatever symbolism it may have once had as a monument to the free speech movement. It's now just a monument to crime and drug abuse and lack of political will. The sooner they break ground the better.
okaydo
My firm is representing Michael and Liane. We're going to take back the park from the university! We've already filed the papers to make People's Park, which was born 49 years and 1 month ago, a California Historical Landmark. We also have teamed up with the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library to ensure that People's Park stands as a monument to his legacy.

Power to the People's Park will be around FOREVER!!!!!!!

SCREW YOU HATERS!!!!

GivemTheAxe
socaliganbear said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

UrsaMajor said:

ColoradoBear said:

Do it!

You beat me to the punch.
The Maximimo Martinez dorm is across the street from People's Park at present.
There are already a large number of homeless camping within 50 feet of that dorm. The sanitary accommodations are atrocious for them and not terribly safe for them and any nearby students.
I would prefer that the dorm be built and that 100 homeless get safe and sanitary housing. And that the criminal element be reduced.
It is a win for the homeless; a win for the students; a win for the University; a win for the nearby merchants; and a win for the City. Win-win-win-win-win. How con you beat that.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.