Tre Watson Commits to Texas

8,427 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bear19
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He chose the program over LSU and Texas Tech and will enter the program as a graduate transfer.

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/05/06/former-cal-running-back-tre-watson-heads-texas/
TheSouseFamily
"I left Cal to experience bigger football", said Watson to ESPN via text.

I'll always wish a fellow Cal grad the best of luck, but that was an unnecessary swipe, especially when he beat Texas twice during his time at Cal.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23427295/former-cal-golden-bears-rb-tre-watson-joining-texas-longhorns-graduate-transfer
TheSouseFamily
packawana
TheSouseFamily said:

I'll always wish a fellow Cal grad the best of luck, but that was an unnecessary swipe, especially when he beat Texas twice during his time at Cal.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23427295/former-cal-golden-bears-rb-tre-watson-joining-texas-longhorns-graduate-transfer
It's a swipe but it's not factually incorrect. Cal could beat Texas for a decade straight -- football in Texas will always matter more than it does in California sans $C.
TheSouseFamily
You're right, packawana. And it's not THAT big of a deal. I assure you my feelings aren't hurt here. I just think the message could have been better if framed more positively.

"I'm marrying my second wife because she's the most intelligent, gorgeous and kind person I've ever met" sounds much better than "I left my first wife because she was quite average looking, a bit dense and kinda mean if I'm being totally honest."
bearsandgiants
TheSouseFamily said:

You're right, packawana. And it's not THAT big of a deal. I assure you my feelings aren't hurt here. I just think the message could have been better if framed more positively.

"I'm marrying my second wife because she's the most intelligent, gorgeous and kind person I've ever met" sounds much better than "I left my first wife because she was quite average looking, a bit dense and kinda mean if I'm being totally honest."
I don't think his statement is analogous to your first one. It's more like "I left my first wife for better sex." It hurts, even if true. However, we appear to be on a massive upswing, and I think we're going to be pretty awesome next year. Also, I don't recall Tre being an impact player, anyway, so I hope he gets much better or he's going to have difficulty even getting on the field.
going4roses
He has moved on let it be.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
ColoradoBear
Speaking of Texas, has anyone been to shaggytexas lately? How far it has fallen... Apparently the owner lost possession of the site in a lawsuit, and the new mods changed it up with lots of posters bailing.
socaliganbear
It's clearly poor form, but who cares. We've got a solid season ahead of us, let him move on however he feels he needs to.
KoreAmBear
bearsandgiants said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I don't think his statement is analogous to your first one. It's more like "I left my first wife for better sex." It hurts, even if true. However, we appear to be on a massive upswing, and I think we're going to be pretty awesome next year. Also, I don't recall Tre being an impact player, anyway, so I hope he gets much better or he's going to have difficulty even getting on the field.
He was very good by the end of 2016. Probably our best back at that point. His loss created depth issues. Luckily coaches gave Laird a chance last year. Overall we'll be OK. Good luck to him.
Big C
socaliganbear said:

It's clearly poor form, but who cares. We've got a solid season ahead of us, let him move on however he feels he needs to.
I care. Not a whole lot, to be clear, but enough to write this short post. Tre Watson was a good Golden Bear who graduated and I wish him well, but he could have worded that differently. If he doesn't crack the RB rotation as a Longhorn, I'm not gonna gloat, but I won't feel bad either.

Reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing he and the current staff didn't totally "click". Or, it could just be accepted at face value: He saw a chance to have his BA from Cal and begin some free grad work at a "major" football school and thought that would be cool. Maybe he wasn't going to get into a grad program here and also didn't see an NFL future.

Am I sort of contradicting myself here? Oh well...
71Bear
Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

I care. Not a whole lot, to be clear, but enough to write this short post. Tre Watson was a good Golden Bear who graduated and I wish him well, but he could have worded that differently. If he doesn't crack the RB rotation as a Longhorn, I'm not gonna gloat, but I won't feel bad either.

Reading the tea leaves, I'm guessing he and the current staff didn't totally "click". Or, it could just be accepted at face value: He saw a chance to have his BA from Cal and begin some free grad work at a "major" football school and thought that would be cool. Maybe he wasn't going to get into a grad program here and also didn't see an NFL future.

He graduated.
He told the truth.
If you don't like what he said, do something about it - start winning.

It's kinda like when teams whine about someone pouring it on at the end of a lopsided game. If you don't like it, do something about it. It isn't the better team's problem, it is the crappy team's problem.

In essence, I have no problem with what he said because he was right. I prefer the honest, frank approach.
FloriDreaming
TheSouseFamily said:

Yah, but he ain't lying. With the way Cal treats its major sports, I don't blame him. Cal keeps promising to step but but never does. I don't blame the athletes who can do so from getting a taste of a football program at a university that actually cares about winning. Over thirty years as a Cal fan, it's become pretty obvious Cal doesn't care and never will.

Good luck, Tre.
FloriDreaming
71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

It's kinda like when teams whine about someone pouring it on at the end of a lopsided game. If you don't like it, do something about it. It isn't the better team's problem, it is the crappy team's problem.

In essence, I have no problem with what he said because he was right. I prefer the honest, frank approach.
Too many Cal fans have accepted that Cal is a loser program and expect the student-athletes to share their attitude in the name of "loyalty."

What you say is 100% true. Fans of a school that doesn't win (and does nothing to change that) shouldn't put down student athletes who choose other schools because they do want to win. Amazing at it may seem to a lot of Cal fans, WINNING is a big deal to a lot of athletes and fans. Especially the good ones.
TheSouseFamily
Was never about being Tre being right. Or being honest or frank. Or fans expecting loyalty. Or fans not wishing the kid well and being thankful for his contributions. Or lamenting the state of our own program. It was simply about tact. That's it. Anyway, moving on....
packawana
We also don't know if Tre did or didn't get into the grad program of his choice, and choose to go to Texas over that. No matter what it's still a graduate degree from Texas; that's pretty meaningful.

We really need to figure out how to do what Stanford does. It's the reason why so many of their guys manage to stay for 5 years. But of course, the academic wing of the university probably would never go for that sort of thing unless the students had above a 3.5 -- which is a pretty tall order.
bear2034
TheSouseFamily said:

Was never about being Tre being right. Or being honest or frank. Or fans expecting loyalty. Or fans not wishing the kid well and being thankful for his contributions. Or lamenting the state of our own program. It was simply about tact. That's it. Anyway, moving on....
Agreed, he could have chosen his words more carefully, but it could have been worse. He could have said I'm going to a better program, better school, or my dream football school. whatever. Best of luck to him.

Big C
TheSouseFamily said:

^ ^ ^ Yup, it's not a huge deal. Just a minor thing. ^ ^ ^
going4roses
Hmm k @ some of the comments
bear2034
going4roses said:

Hmm k @ some of the comments
You mean the ones about Cal always sucking and being real about it?
bear2034
71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

This has absolutely nothing to do with winning or losing games.
bear2034
Uthaithani said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

Too many Cal fans have accepted that Cal is a loser program and expect the student-athletes to share their attitude in the name of "loyalty."

What you say is 100% true. Fans of a school that doesn't win (and does nothing to change that) shouldn't put down student athletes who choose other schools because they do want to win. Amazing at it may seem to a lot of Cal fans, WINNING is a big deal to a lot of athletes and fans. Especially the good ones.
No one is "putting down" Tre, only his choice of words. Meanwhile, you're putting down Cal and their fans.
going4roses
Nope
flounder
Tre is a grown man and was keeping it real. Let's do the same, he's was a decent running back with a torn ACL who got passed up by a walk-on. Only thing that matters about him at this point is that he helped the APR.
NVBear78
flounder said:

Tre is a grown man and was keeping it real. Let's do the same, he's was a decent running back with a torn ACL who got passed up by a walk-on. Only thing that matters about him at this point is that he helped the APR.

Wow, didn't know it was an ACL. Hope he heals up.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

If we like the honest, frank approach, I'm fine with that. I have no ill will. But the flip side is the honest approach isn't one way and it isn't only to our detriment. The honest truth is he got injured and while injured he lost his job to our walk on third string running back, and that most likely also factored into his decision to leave. I would have liked to keep him as a backup, but he was a backup at this point, so it wasn't a loss we couldn't bear. If a big program like Texas wants to sign our backups, good for them. If he doesn't like me saying that, he should have beat out the walk on.

I do have to say, I think if somebody here had responded when he announced his transfer with something like "Good. It opens up a schollie. He was a backup that got beat out by a walk on. We don't need him". That person would have been called a jerk by a lot of people here for telling the truth.
Goobear
As fans we can be petty. Tre does not deserve that. I am speculating that he saw the hand writing on the wall, He needs playing time if he wants a shot at the NFL. He must have figured a transfer for him would be best for his future football wise. The coaches made a business decision and so did he. Best for both sides. I wish him well but I am sure Wilcox won't lose sleep over it.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

packawana
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

If we like the honest, frank approach, I'm fine with that. I have no ill will. But the flip side is the honest approach isn't one way and it isn't only to our detriment. The honest truth is he got injured and while injured he lost his job to our walk on third string running back, and that most likely also factored into his decision to leave. I would have liked to keep him as a backup, but he was a backup at this point, so it wasn't a loss we couldn't bear. If a big program like Texas wants to sign our backups, good for them. If he doesn't like me saying that, he should have beat out the walk on.

I do have to say, I think if somebody here had responded when he announced his transfer with something like "Good. It opens up a schollie. He was a backup that got beat out by a walk on. We don't need him". That person would have been called a jerk by a lot of people here for telling the truth.

I mean that would be factually incorrect. He wasn't a backup, and not having him makes our depth far more questionable in that position. What he said was factual.
BearlyCareAnymore
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

Actually, I read the article more carefully and I have to change my response. I don't think he told the truth. I don't think he kept it real. Had he merely said Texas was a bigger football experience than Cal, that might have been true. He said he left Cal because he wanted a bigger football experience. Sorry. I call BS. He left Cal because he lost his job. Texas' running game sucked last year and they lost their best runner. At best his statement was a half truth, leaving out the half that was uncomfortable for him - that he lost his job and Texas provided an opportunity he did not have at Cal.

I don't care that he said it. Frankly, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But I don't think when someone tells at best part of the truth and the part they leave out is the part that shows them in a less positive light they should be commended for telling the truth or keeping it real. Keeping it real would have been "I left Cal because I lost my job and I wanted to compete for a starting job somewhere, but all is for the best because I now have the opportunity to play on a bigger stage".

Texas is a storied football program. They make a ton more money. They have ton more fans. Their fans are more passionate. They normally, but not always, have more success than we do. I don't envy them. Personally, I wish we would provide more reasonable support for football, but I don't hope for the day that we match their priorities. As for any player that wants to be a part of that type of program, I fully get that - if football were my passion I might want that as well. No hard feelings if a player makes that choice and makes it clear why they made the choice.

And my primary response is great for him that he gets to move to an excellent academic institution and play for a major program. He got his degree here and we were offering him neither a starting job nor a graduate program, and now he has one and a chance at the other. Best result for all of us.
BearlyCareAnymore
packawana said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

I mean that would be factually incorrect. He wasn't a backup, and not having him makes our depth far more questionable in that position. What he said was factual.

Laird is the starter. He is the backup. How is that incorrect?
going4roses
Lol
Cal Strong!
Watson comment WEAK! Cal not Weak. Cal Strong! Texas weak.Watson need to be more like Cal . . . less like Texas.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

packawana said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Big C said:

socaliganbear said:

He graduated.
He told the truth.

Laird is the starter. He is the backup. How is that incorrect?
As Laird began to really emerge last season, I could sort of envision this playing out the way it did. If Watson stayed and Laird stayed healthy, splitting time was about the best TW could hope for, rather than being THE feature back, which is probably what he thought he had coming to him..

I don't know who the Longhorns have coming back at running back, but I'd be SHOCKED if they didn't have some talent in the mix. I mean, they can pick and choose from the whole state of Texas. It should be interesting.
Bear19
I applaud Watson for being honest about his reason for going to Texas. Does his comment reveal his dissatisfaction about where he was on Cal's depth chart? Yes. Don't forget Watson was recruited by Dykes - I'm thinking he felt no obligation to contribute to Cal at this point, especially since the current coaches don't seem to value his abilities as much as he thinks they should.

All that said, be careful about going to the other side of the hill - the grass may be greener, but it's just as tough to cut.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.