What is going on with the site??

4,420 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
OdontoBear66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I visited off topic, and I see an eight post thread that asks this question. It has been relegated to off topic.

However, I am days later having my typing on the site delayed to the point of distraction, with the death spiral coming up here and nowhere else, and the right column flashing off and on white pop ups.

I do not think I am the Lone Ranger on this. What gives?
sp4149
OdontoBear66 said:

I visited off topic, and I see an eight post thread that asks this question. It has been relegated to off topic.

However, I am days later having my typing on the site delayed to the point of distraction, with the death spiral coming up here and nowhere else, and the right column flashing off and on white pop ups.

I suspect the host is playing with ad content upgrades and the pop-up ads have become unstable. Originally I only saw the problem on the Off-Topic Forum, but now I am seeing it on other BI forums as well.
Except the premium forum. I guess you get what you pay for.
OdontoBear66
The pop ups are irritating but the delayed typing is really aggravating. Then every once in a while I get a warning on my iMac that this site slows my computer down. Just seems like a number of little nuisances.
socaliganbear
The site has been crashing for me on mobile for the past week. It also no longer recognizes my saved password.
FloriDreaming
The delayed typing sucks. It crashes computers and takes up far too much bandwidth. The site has become so user-unfriendly as to be almost unusable.

And they want us to spend extra for the "premium" version of this dysfunctional POS? Nope.
OdontoBear66
Uthaithani said:

The delayed typing sucks. It crashes computers and takes up far too much bandwidth. The site has become so user-unfriendly as to be almost unusable.

And they want us to spend extra for the "premium" version of this dysfunctional POS? Nope.
I think they are working on whatever it is. The mods are doing a great job. I just wanted a point of information.
TheSouseFamily
Have no idea what y'all are talking about. Business as usual from my end. And no ads. Haven't ever seen an ad here actually.
Bear19
I know that in the last week there have been several separate threads that are malware/phishing attacks on FG & MBB. I alerted BearGreg to the posts which he immediately removed. I always post a warning not to click on any of the links in these posts. Clicking on a link in the post triggers the malware.

I had to stop using Android Chrome on BI as it is too vulnerable to attacks, and now use DuckDuckGo (DDG), which is the safest Android browser I could find. It erases all traces of activity, cookies, blocks ads, etc. You might try DDG. There downside is you'll have to sign in each time as DDG won't retain your sign in ID & PW.

I believe our admin is working on tightening the server firewall to stop these malware posts (he hasn't told me that, a supposition on my part).

You should probably erase all cookies, retained IDs & PWs on your Mac browser just to be safe (done in settings). Getting a good password/id manager (e.g. LastPass or SafeInCloud) instead of using your browser to fill in IDs/PWs is highly recommended.

Hope this helps.
71Bear
OdontoBear66 said:

I have had numerous problems over the last couple weeks. Being an long time poster, I blame the problems on the fact that Ellen is no longer handling the tech. part of the operation. Whoever is in charge now is not doing their job.
Big C
I have been experiencing the "delayed typing" recently, as well, plus "spyware alerts", via Microsoft Edge.
SFCityBear
I switched to Firefox. That got rid of most problems, except that I still get the delayed typing from time to time. I avoid that now by typing my post on Microsoft Word, copying it, and then pasting it onto the BearInsider Forum. It adds a step or two, but typing the post on Word makes it easier to edit, and also avoids accidentally deleting a post when I hit the wrong key when typing on the BI (which i have done too many times).
recal
Ultimately, these issues have been caused by malicious ads. They "hide" and only cause issues on certain platforms or browsers. We can alert site staff to specific ads, but it is basically whack-a-mole as new ads will be populated. Best fix is if BI switched to a more established / secure ad network to populate the ads, but I'm guessing they have reasons why they can't or won't.
bearister
sp4149 said:

...I suspect the host is playing with ad content upgrades and the pop-up ads have become unstable.....

Most of us that post on the Off Topic Board are also unstable.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearGreg
Staff
The issue is that our ad network provider (who has been with Bear Insider for 18+ months) just switched technologies/providers. Clearly they are working out some kinks. We are working with them to get it resolved as soon as possible.

Deepest apologies.
going4roses
Most? Hahhhhaaaa
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
TomBear
For what it's worth, the problems for me seem to be intermittent. Sometimes I get really severe delayed text, other times slightly delayed, and a few times it's worked fine, then while I'm typing the delays kick in......like now. I also get a little "rainbow colored" circle going around and around. It's colorful, but annoying.
bearister
BearGreg said:

... Clearly they are working out some kinks.....

It doesn't take much to set me up but thanks for doing so anyway. One of my favorites by them:

Eastern Oregon Bear
I've never had the impression that those Kinks work out much.
Eastern Oregon Bear
I'm not seeing the delayed typing issue, however I've been seeing a slightly different issue lately just at BI. When reading through a thread and I get to the bottom of the page, the arrow button to go to the next page doesn't work. It's just dead. I can go to the top of the page and that arrow works to take me to the next page. A couple of days ago I discovered that if I'm at the bottom of the page and zoom in, then the arrow button works. I'm not seeing this anywhere else besides BI. It's not a big problem, just a nuisance. I'm using Chrome on a Google tablet. Haven't seen this on my PC, but I don't check into BI from there much.
Bobodeluxe
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I've never had the impression that those Kinks work out much.
On the contrary, Dave and Ray often presented boxing matches in their act.
GivemTheAxe
socaliganbear said:

The site has been crashing for me on mobile for the past week. It also no longer recognizes my saved password.

Same here the site keeps rebooting repeatedly whenever I am typing replies and I have to type my replies with 30 seconds.
bearister
GivemTheAxe said:

socaliganbear said:

Same here the site keeps rebooting repeatedly whenever I am typing replies and I have to type my replies with 30 seconds.

Type them in iPhone notes first then copy and paste.
OdontoBear66
So can we have an update on what is being done. The problems are still there. The site just gave me the "death spiral" for close to three minutes....No where else do I get this on my iMac....What is up, Mods????
KenBurnski
I've been having tons of issues on mobile. Every few minutes I'm hit with the "Congratulations Amazon user" pop-up.
calumnus
Arrrrrrrrggggggghhh
Golden One
I have had no problems with the site until tonight. Now I'm experiencing delayed printing of my typing, intermittent sudden crashing of the site, and warnings from McAfee that the site is unsafe. This is on my desktop. Very annoying.
50+BigGames
Today I tried to access the thread about the football seats with tables and was blocked by a Norton warning of an infected web page. On a Windows PC.
Chapman_is_Gone
Yes, I see. Free Board Phase II has begun.

$99 per year will make your IT problems disappear!
75bear
Mobile is having tons of problems for me the past few days. Pages reload every minute or so - it's pretty hard to read a thread of any length.

I'm going to take a break from BI for a week and see if things are better then.

Good luck IT team!!
GivemTheAxe
OdontoBear66 said:

You are not alone (hey this might make a good catch phrase for a TV program)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.