Silly Season Topic: schedule Navy!

3,137 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bear19
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am still banging this drum. Cal needs to schedule Navy for a home and home, with the Berkeley game scheduled for Fleet Week. All of the great reasons to make this happen are still there:
- certain sell-out, with South Endzone filled with dress whites
- National tv with glorious Chamber of Commerce shots of the bay with Navy ships added to the vista
- Blue Angel fly over
- Cal band playing Anchors Aweigh and In The Navy at halftime

And now that we have an AD with ties to the Academies, this is an even greater possibility! Make it happen!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
SFCALBear72
I like it.

New AD Knowlton starts next Monday, May 21. Send him an email with your idea.
oskidunker
Great idea!
Go Bears!
mdcspe69
Except that Navy runs that damn Wishbone offense that CAL has never been able to stop.
oskidunker
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=List_of_Navy_Midshipmen_bowl_games&action=edit§ion=12][/url]Thank You Steve MARIUCCHI!
Main article: 1996 Aloha Bowl
1996 Aloha Bowl

Total
Navy
California
Date
December 25, 1996
Stadium
Aloha Stadium
After playing a first half that saw both teams combine for a NCAA bowl game record 68 points,[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Navy_Midshipmen_bowl_games#cite_note-FOOTNOTENCAA201140-42][28][/url] Navy defeated the California Bears by keeping them to a field goal in the second half. Midshipmen quarterback Chris McCoy completed 9 of 13 passes for 277 yards, setting NCAA bowl game records for most yards per pass attempt (21.3) and most yards per completion (30.8).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Navy_Midshipmen_bowl_games#cite_note-FOOTNOTENCAA201138-43][29][/url]
Go Bears!
UrsusTexicanus
Only if this is part of the halftime show.
joe amos yaks
And --

The United States Naval Academy Marching Band leading a brigade of 10,000 midshipmen and sailors in dress whites into CMS.

Oski wrestling El Cid the Navy goat throughout the game;

Roger Staubach makes a cameo appearance riding Navy mascot Bill the Goat;

A pie throwing contest at halftime featuring Ollie North (standing in for GHW Bush) v Fritz Mondale (standing in for Jimmy Carter).

Maybe follow-up with a game against the Coast Guard Academy. . . then Army and the Birds.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
BearBoarBlarney
Don't like it. Risk of cut blocks on the knees of our already thin DL is way too great. And it's one of those games with no real upside for Cal. If Cal wins, everyone dismisses it as "Cal out-athleted them." Lose, and everyone celebrates those "gutty little middies taking it to another big conference team."

Plus I can't spell their coach's name, which automatically puts him into the Kryzyzeweski territory.
AunBear89
I get what you are saying, but I think the current model of Navy is regarded higher than we are used to. All three academies have improved performances on the field, so I don't think it is quite the no-win situation it might have been years ago.

And besides, isn't what you describe the very definition of a "B" OOC opponent?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
100%! As stated in my post - a halftime show of "Anchors Aweigh" "In the Navy" and maybe "We Saw the Sea".

Another Bear
Make it a night game, and install a ginormus disco ball over CMS for the Village Peoples' halftime show.

BearBoarBlarney
AunBear89 said:

And besides, isn't what you describe the very definition of a "B" OOC opponent?
Oh, yeah, totally a B-level OOC opponent in the A-B-C OOC model.

But I guess I'd rather see Cal play, say, Purdue or Illinois out of the Big-10, schools with decent name recognition that Cal fans might show up for and schools that don't play a style of offense that risks knee/lower leg injuries due to cut blocking schemes that Navy's option offense is predicated on.

Or how about some Big-12 type B-level squads: Cal vs. Kansas, allowing me to enjoy some KC BBQ, or something like that.

I get the whole Fleet Week tie-in and the location right on the water, but I guess I see other B teams as equally compelling and without the likelihood of injury.
71Bear
AunBear89 said:

I am still banging this drum. Cal needs to schedule Navy for a home and home, with the Berkeley game scheduled for Fleet Week. All of the great reasons to make this happen are still there:
- National tv with glorious Chamber of Commerce shots of the bay with Navy ships added to the vista
- Blue Angel fly over

And now that we have an AD with ties to the Academies, this is an even greater possibility! Make it happen!
Navy - no. Army - yes. There is not a more beautiful setting in college football than Michie Stadium in the Fall.
Besides, the new AD is an Army guy not a Navy man.
hanky1
We'll probably lose. Why schedule a game against a non-P5 team that we'll probably lose? We have nothing to gain.
bear2034
BearBoarBlarney said:

Don't like it. Risk of cut blocks on the knees of our already thin DL is way too great. And it's one of those games with no real upside for Cal. If Cal wins, everyone dismisses it as "Cal out-athleted them." Lose, and everyone celebrates those "gutty little middies taking it to another big conference team."

Plus I can't spell their coach's name, which automatically puts him into the Kryzyzeweski territory.
Ken Niumatololo's last name is easy to pronounce because it matches the spelling and is no way in the same league as Coach K with all the silent consonants.
golden sloth
I don't like this idea, but it mainly stems from my utter hatred of fleet week. Masses of people flooding the city to ruin one of the best weather weekends of the year. I don't get the love for big ships, military hardware, airshows and fly overs. They are loud and boring, I'd rather have them not be around so I can continue whatever it was I was doing, without a loud annoying flyover by the blue angels.

Fleet Week. Bah Humbug!

As for football, a non-conference game in the state of Maryland in September. We've been there before, no thank you.
oskidunker
agree. now if they brought the Missouri here i would be there. saw it in hawaii. awsome!
Go Bears!
ColoradoBear
AunBear89 said:

- Blue Angel fly over

Sorry no. Navy would have any attendance of about 35k at CMS. Not a game the p12 would even want to grant an exemption for.

Seems small time to rely on it for $$$. No non P5 one off game will actually help our program, so why bother unless it's favorable.

barabbas
AunBear89 said:

- Blue Angel fly over
-n!

Why would they schedule a game that competes with fleet week? The wishbone screws with teams.
Blueblood
Maybe aUNbear89 isn't so silly as he portrays to be here most of the time. I mean, aUN bear89 points
out an obvious bennie of being an MWC member. That is, if Cal played in the MWC, this game would be
a shoe-in for the Bears! Navy is already playing two MWC teams on its next season schedule, Ha'hawai'i
and Air Force Academy.
bear2034
You hit the quarterback on every play if you're playing a whishbone/triple option team. Everyone bites on the fake pitch, you have to make the quarterback pay on every play.
GivemTheAxe
AunBear89 said:

- Blue Angel fly over

IIRC Cal announced that it had scheduled Navy several years ago in the JT era. (Remember that schedules are announced years in advance.) Then the year before we were to play,they fell off the schedule and were replaced by a Div. 2 school.
The reason I remember it clearly is that one of my sons lives in the DC area and we planned to go to that game.
Bear19
hanky1 said:

We'll probably lose. Why schedule a game against a non-P5 team that we'll probably lose.
Disagree with you - Cal under Wilcox would beat Navy by a good margin. No reason to schedule them & waste practice time on the wishbone when Pac-12 teams run the spread.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.