OT. Furd Professor in the news for not so good reasons

13,317 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
BearlyCareAnymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

Ah, okay, got it, and, believe me, I "get" Oakland. Wow, she called 911, too, not just OPD?

What I didn't get was the use of the term "racial profiling" to describe an individual's response to one incident in isolation, especially since her problem was what she was observing, not what she assumed they might be doing..
It is absolutely amazing to me what some of these people have called 911 about. And infuriating, frankly. I'm not even talking about the racial component. It is like going to the ER for a cold. If you need the police, there is a phone number for that. 911 is for emergencies. Trespassing in a Starbucks and barbecuing in the park may or may not be justified reasons to call the police depending on the circumstances, but they are never justified reasons to call 911.

It is amazing to me also for a resident of Oakland to think the police are going to do anything about illegal barbecuing. Not going to happen. Some places, maybe. Oakland? No. They don't have the manpower for that crap.

If the woman thought it was illegal and feels like she shouldn't have to tolerate the barbecuing in her neighborhood, you go home, call the normal police phone number, and let them deal with it (or not). You've done your duty. What this woman did is borderline psychotic. I'm sure when she retires, she'll become president of the homeowners association in some gated community somewhere where she can rule on the proper color of roof tiles in her community.
SRBear
911 is too easy to remember...no one wants to go to the trouble to look up the police number when everyone already knows 911. Maybe the police should have a unique 3 digit number easy to remember for non-emergency calls.
Another Bear
Like I said, she made a mountain out of a mole hill. There are very few communities that like that, anywhere.
BearlyCareAnymore
SRBear said:

911 is too easy to remember...no one wants to go to the trouble to look up the police number when everyone already knows 911. Maybe the police should have a unique 3 digit number easy to remember for non-emergency calls.
How about this being easy to remember. Use 911 for a non-emergency you are subject to a $911 fine. Then maybe people will take the time to look on the internet for the phone number like they would anything else. I just set the stop watch on my phone, searched "Oakland Police Department" at a leisurely speed, and got the number in just under 25 seconds. This woman was on her mobile, so she could have looked it up. (actually she eventually did when she got no response to her first call). It is not hard. 911 is for emergencies only. Not because you are too lazy to look up a phone number.
SRBear
I think most of us who post on this board know that and I totally agree with the frustration. But, just like hospital emergency rooms, people work the system because there are no consequences.
going4roses
Meanwhile in NY

Cal8285
OaktownBear said:

SRBear said:

How about this being easy to remember. Use 911 for a non-emergency you are subject to a $911 fine. Then maybe people will take the time to look on the internet for the phone number like they would anything else. I just set the stop watch on my phone, searched "Oakland Police Department" at a leisurely speed, and got the number in just under 25 seconds. This woman was on her mobile, so she could have looked it up. (actually she eventually did when she got no response to her first call). It is not hard. 911 is for emergencies only. Not because you are too lazy to look up a phone number.
It is wise to have some basic non-emergency numbers in your contacts. The non-emergency number for the police department in the city where I live has been in my contacts since right around the time I had a phone with contacts in it. Many police departments encourage this, to help reduce the number of 911 calls, but one shouldn't need the encouragement of the police department to do this.
okaydo
OaktownBear said:

SRBear said:

I called 911 for the first time in my life in the past month for something that was a non-emergency, but that could've become an emergency. An escalating situation, I'll say. (Sorry, I won't go into details.) The police came by an hour later (probably because the operator said it wasn't urgent.) But I fear that a $911 fine will result in people being hesitant on what is and what isn't an emergency.

BearlyCareAnymore
okaydo said:

OaktownBear said:

SRBear said:

I called 911 for the first time in my life in the past month for something that was a non-emergency, but that could've become an emergency. An escalating situation, I'll say. (Sorry, I won't go into details.) The police came by an hour later (probably because the operator said it wasn't urgent.) But I fear that a $911 fine will result in people being hesitant on what is and what isn't an emergency.

If someone is hesitant, I'd argue it isn't an emergency. If I had to, I'd pay $911 for something I consider an emergency. Otherwise, take 30 seconds, look up the number of the police department. That said, I don't think people getting fined for calling 911 for illegal barbecuing, or my neighbor cut my hedges or something is going to stop normal people from calling 911 when warranted. 911 is not the number to contact the police.

TheSouseFamily
I generally steer clear of political and cultural threads but I'll just add this one thing and it's the thing I'm most appreciative about when it comes to my education at Cal. If I learned anything at all in my time in Berkeley, it's this: I don't care if you're white or black, gay/straight/other, Democrat or Republican, religious or non-religious, native or non-native, male or female, old or young, etc. All I care about it whether you're an authentic person who wants to do good by others as well as yourself or whether you're just an a$$.hole. All of those groups/tribes have both, sadly. But it's pretty simple and usually pretty obvious. I've been fortunate to travel around the world a lot and it's only reinforced that simple learning. The world is full of both. But I'll be fast friends with anyone regardless of country or origin, religion, sexual orientation, race, age or whatever as long as you're just a genuinely decent person.
sonofabear51
Well said Souse. I totally agree and will stand by that, even though you are a dodger fan. LOL
TheSouseFamily
sonofabear51 said:

Well said Souse. I totally agree and will stand by that, even though you are a dodger fan. LOL

There are good and decent Dodger fans and also plenty of good and decent Giants fans. But also plenty of a-holes among both.
BearlyCareAnymore
TheSouseFamily said:

sonofabear51 said:

There are good and decent Dodger fans and also plenty of good and decent Giants fans. But also plenty of a-holes among both.
Yeah, but we can all agree on some things. Like there are no good USC fans.

bearister post in 3...2...1...
Richmondbear2
No she's not an MD. She's a PHD
Richmondbear2
No, different person. Leave the MD alone
Richmondbear2
No, different person. Leave the MD alone
okaydo
SNL IS RACIST. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET THAT WOMAN HANG OUT WITH CHRIS ROCK AND ALEC BALDWIN!?!!?!

82gradDLSdad
okaydo said:

SNL IS RACIST. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY LET THAT WOMAN HANG OUT WITH CHRIS ROCK AND ALEC BALDWIN!?!!?!

Looks like an old snl episode with John Belushi
82gradDLSdad
Well said. I totally agree.
okaydo

bearister
I think it is somewhat humorous that the environmental Nazis (i.e. the Oakland charcoal ban) inadvertently got sucked into a racial firestorm and got trumped.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone
I still don't understand what evidence there is that she "racially targeted" anyone.
okaydo

bearister
Chapman_is_Gone said:

I still don't understand what evidence there is that she "racially targeted" anyone.

Haven't you learned yet from the tRump Regime? Never let facts get in the way of a great narrative.
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

Yeah, I was going to say... probably equal or greater chance that she would have done the same thing if it were white people grilling.

Is it verified that she called 911 and not just OPD? That's where it starts to get a little dicey. Fits the narrative of white people declaring an emergency when they see black people breaking a law. Starts with charcoal, then comes the rap music, pretty soon it's a full-blown riot!
okaydo
Big C said:

Chapman_is_Gone said:

Yeah, I was going to say... probably equal or greater chance that she would have done the same thing if it were white people grilling.

Is it verified that she called 911 and not just OPD? That's where it starts to get a little dicey. Fits the narrative of white people declaring an emergency when they see black people breaking a law. Starts with charcoal, then comes the rap music, pretty soon it's a full-blown riot!

We really don't know anything...she could be a secret member of the klan. She could have 50 black friends.

We don't even know if she's connected to Stanford. (Nobody has proven anything, at least).

We have no idea if she'd see white people bbq-ing and ignore it, or not. Who's to say?

But there's a reason why the video resonated with millions of people, why it went viral.

As The New York Times explains:

bearister
Now gentrification is about racism and not economics?
Another Bear
If the displaced aren't white and the people coming in are, yes. It can be about both economics and race. After all it's America and those two things are often intertwined.
okaydo
bearister said:

What, are you trying to say gentrification has nothing to do with race?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/In-Oakland-this-is-gentrification-when-it-knocks-12845917.php

https://www.theroot.com/the-white-people-are-coming-6-signs-your-neighborhood-1803819806

OneKeg
Yeah it's uncertain (though possible) she was acting out of racist motivations. Maybe she does that all the time to everyone - must be a busy life, as it was a big chunk out of her day.

Regardless, at the very least, calling OPD (let alone 911) on anyone BBQ'ing in a public urban zone meant for a different type of BBQ'ing makes you the human equivalent of a turd in a punchbowl. Or a furd in a punchbowl. Same same.

I have to say that mass BBQ looks and sounds awesome. My mouth is watering. Is it lunchtime yet?
okaydo
The woman who filmed it speaks...

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/woman-who-filmed-oakland-calif-bbq-becky-speaks-out-1826219887
okaydo

https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/the-east-bays-changing-demographics/Content?oid=13262928

bearister
I'm not going to get into the argument regarding the link between economic inequality and racism. But I assume we can all agree that if a white landlord can get 10 times the monthly rent from a well to do black family than from a poor white family, the white family GONE! That is the root of my post linking gentrification to economics.
BearlyCareAnymore
okaydo said:

bearister said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/In-Oakland-this-is-gentrification-when-it-knocks-12845917.php

https://www.theroot.com/the-white-people-are-coming-6-signs-your-neighborhood-1803819806

I have to say that this demonstrates how complicated race issues can be. White people used to (justifiably) be criticized for moving out of neighborhoods when Black people moved in. Now a new generation of White people want to move into some of the same neighborhoods, and new conditions create a different response.

I find some of the language around this troubling. The section you cited about differing use of the police is a very good point. But "The White People Are Coming"? C'mon man. We can be better than that.

I sympathize with the frustration of Blacks and I fully recognize that all prejudice does not injure equally. But that kind of crap just makes many White people feel justified in responding with their own prejudice.

I thought the woman in the video made an eloquent statement of the challenges faced by changing demographics in her community without sounding an exclusionary tone.
GMP
OaktownBear said:

okaydo said:

bearister said:

I have to say that this demonstrates how complicated race issues can be. White people used to (justifiably) be criticized for moving out of neighborhoods when Black people moved in. Now a new generation of White people want to move into some of the same neighborhoods, and new conditions create a different response.

I find some of the language around this troubling. The section you cited about differing use of the police is a very good point. But "The White People Are Coming"? C'mon man. We can be better than that.

I sympathize with the frustration of Blacks and I fully recognize that all prejudice does not injure equally. But that kind of crap just makes many White people feel justified in responding with their own prejudice.

I thought the woman in the video made an eloquent statement of the challenges faced by changing demographics in her community without sounding an exclusionary tone.

I don't disagree that some white people will read a headline like "the white people are coming" and use it to justify their own prejudice. But the article is actually pretty funny. For example:

Quote:

The changing food landscape is the easiest way to tell when the whites are coming. A recent Johns Hopkins study on "food deserts" showed that minority neighborhoods often lack well-stocked grocery stores, leaving poor areas with fewer food options, many of which are higher-priced and unhealthy.

White people can't live like this. Before they arrive in droves, they must make sure that they can get their gluten-free, vegan, farm-raised, free-range, organic couscous. Gentrification is usually prefaced by the arrival of healthy options and grocery stores with 29 varieties of tomatoes. If you ever spot a sign that says "Whole Foods Coming to This Location"beware.
Quote:

Remember the little Jamaican restaurant where you used to get jerk chicken? Because they were out of oxtails. Because they were always out of oxtails. Because you think they keep oxtails on the menu to lure you in in the same way that McDonald's keeps McFlurrys on the menu but the machine is always broken. Is the oxtails machine broken? Do you have to come at 6 a.m. to get oxtails? Never mind ... you'll just have the jerk chicken. Again.

That Jamaican restaurant is now a Subway. Your barbershop is now a Starbucks. The beauty-supply store where you bought your weave and hair gel is now a Starbucks. In fact, everything is now a Starbucks, because if there's one thing wypipo love more than bragging how they got their jeans from a thrift shop, watching This Is Us, uncoordinated writhing to guitar solos and white supremacy, it's Starbucks.

Quote:

The last step in recognizing Caucasian colonization is the rise in what is referred to in black America as "wypipo *****" If a basketball court is replaced by a dog park, that's wypipo ***** When was the last time a dog got a college scholarship or played his way out of a rough neighborhood? And if you bring up Air Bud, we might have to fight, because he went straight to the pros. Plus, he was a terrible rebounder and his 3-point jumper was trash.

If your neighbor knocks on your door and asks if you "don't mind keeping it down between the hours of 3 p.m. and 1 a.m." because that's when she's meditating and doing yoga, that's wypipo ***** If you notice your corner store stops selling Black & Milds and 40s, but suddenly has SPF 201 sunscreen and microbrewery IPAs, that's wypipo ***** If no one shows up at the Black Lives Matter march, but some white lady in Birkenstocks stops you in front of the Whole Foods to ask you to sign a petition to erase the neighborhood mural of Tupac and Biggie because their misogynistic lyrics might "trigger" someone and she wants the neighborhood to be a safe space, don't punch her. You know the cops are somewhere near, and you know it's too late to stop the white people from coming, anyway ...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.