Story Poster

Antzoulatos Makes the Call For Cal

June 1, 2018

The Bears made a nice pickup today with a commitment from 6-2/220 Chaminade (West Hills, CA) High School All-State outside linebacker Blake Antzoulatos.

A fan favorite for his aggressive playing style, Antzoulatos joins Arizona LB commit Ryan Puskas in what is sure to stack up as a top linebacking corps for Cal's 2019 recruiting class.

Having visited in January with his family and again during spring practice in April, Antzoulatos had a strong idea of Cal's football and academic culture and a good feel for the environment -two factors that aided him in his decision.

His strong relationship with the Cal staff was the clincher for the talented LB.

"I have a great relationship with the Cal coaching staff, especially Coach (Peter) Sirmon," said Anzoulatos. 

"I felt really at home there on my visits. And I really like their defensive philosophy and how they use their linebackers so that was really appealing to me, too."

The productive LB came into the weekend offers from Utah, Oregon State, Boston College, Air Force, Harvard and more, with recruiting attention from UCLA and Stanford.

As to the firmness of his commitment, Antzoulatos noted that his decision was final.

"Other programs had their opportunity to recruit me and be considered in my evaluation," said Antzoulatos. "But I felt like this was the right time for me to commit and I'm a man of my word. The Cal coaches committed to me and I committed to them and I'm anxious to get up there and be a Bear.

Antzoulatos's hard-hitting style is reminiscent of former Bear Jarrot Willard -a Cal fan favorite from the 90's. He led the state as a junior with 150 tackles last season, including 8.5 sacks and 14.5 tackles for loss in his All-CIF 1st team season

Stay tuned for more from Antzoulatos and more today...

Discussion from...

Antzoulatos Makes the Call For Cal

60,843 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 71Bear
Seogju
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go Bears! Welcome to Cal.
Sebastabear
Terrific get. Thrilled he's joining us.
TomBear
Man, he looks fast. And he wraps!!!! I like it.

Good move for the Bears, good move for him!
calumnus
Welcome to Cal!

Go Bears!
BearNIt
Love his film. A great get for the Bears
XXXBEAR
Led the STATE in Tackles?

Reminds you of JAarrot Willard?

(My favorite part is when he said "I'm a man of my word.")

Go Bears!

bonsallbear
6' 2 " and 220 lbs as a junior. He squares up and hits like a Mack truck. Greats instincts and speed. He'll be playing at 235 as a true freshmen. THIS IS A LINEBACKER.
Cal Strong!
Antzoulatos made STRONG decision like Cal . . . not weak decision like stanfurd. Cal not weak.

Cal STRONG!!!
ddc_Cal
Not that I know anything, but he looks more like an inside LB.

Great get, though.

Welcome Blake!
Bear19
Obviously Blake has exceptional intelligence and judgement, as well as superior football skills. I especially appreciated his commitment to honor his word and close the recruiting process.

Welcome Blake!
Rushinbear
Seogju said:

I'm gonna hijack this thread for just a minute to relate it to the future of football. I invite all those people who think that football is barbarian and should be ended to take a good look at this kid's film and the films of so many like him that we and others are recruiting.

This kid loves the game - LOVES IT. It's obvious. And, he's expending a lot of energy, joyfully, in the process. If you end football, what are you gonna do for him and so many like him. He needs the game. Are you gonna counsel him that he is too violent when he plays? That he should find a non-violent, passive way to express his energy (using their lingo)?

You think these kids don't know the dangers? You think they haven't had their bells rung and don't know that they could be concussed (their lingo, again)? Let him and his parents make their own decisions. How many walking around humans haven't had a concussion?

I'm sick of this pillow fighting crowd. It's nothing but attempts to tell other people how to live, anyway.

There - I've said my piece. Thanks for reading it.
71Bear
Rushinbear said:

Seogju said:

I'm gonna hijack this thread for just a minute to relate it to the future of football. I invite all those people who think that football is barbarian and should be ended to take a good look at this kid's film and the films of so many like him that we and others are recruiting.

This kid loves the game - LOVES IT. It's obvious. And, he's expending a lot of energy, joyfully, in the process. If you end football, what are you gonna do for him and so many like him. He needs the game. Are you gonna counsel him that he is too violent when he plays? That he should find a non-violent, passive way to express his energy (using their lingo)?

You think these kids don't know the dangers? You think they haven't had their bells rung and don't know that they could be concussed (their lingo, again)? Let him and his parents make their own decisions. How many walking around humans haven't had a concussion?

I'm sick of this pillow fighting crowd. It's nothing but attempts to tell other people how to live, anyway.

There are plenty of other sports kids can play (and love them as well). A good example is Joey Bart, Georgia Tech catcher (he will be drafted near the top by a big league team, hopefully SF, on Monday). His older brother was a football player in college and received a tryout with KC. Bart also played football in HS but gave it up for baseball. He has been quoted discussing his passion for the game.

As for this particular recruit, I hope he can get through college healthy. That is far more important than anything he accomplishes on the field....
nwbear84
Maybe a bit of a return of the Pain Train....boy was he fun to watch.

Rushinbear
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Seogju said:

There are plenty of other sports kids can play (and love them as well). A good example is Joey Bart, Georgia Tech catcher (he will be drafted near the top by a big league team, hopefully SF, on Monday). His older brother was a football player in college and received a tryout with KC. Bart also played football in HS but gave it up for baseball. He has been quoted discussing his passion for the game.

As for this particular recruit, I hope he can get through college healthy. That is far more important than anything he accomplishes on the field....
But, what if he loves THIS game? What if he wants to play THIS game? Who are these life dictators to tell him that he can't...for his own good...when he knows the risks (that the majority do not suffer)?

EVERY sport has injuries. EVERY sport entails taking risks; in fact, that may be one of the elements that differentiates sport from pastime. That may be one of the elements that makes a sport worth playing.
82gradDLSdad
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Seogju said:

Sorry for this aside...I saw Joey Bart live on Monday at a pre-draft workout at AT&T. Woah!!! That guy is really good. He hit some of the longest, highest blasts I've ever seen there in BP and then he threw. Woah!!!!!!!! He has an absolute cannon of an arm. And both hitting and throwing are done with effortless, minimal motions. He warranted the only one-on-one with Brian Sabean after the workout. I would have no problem if the Giants drafted this guy. He already looks like a major league catcher. Buster goes to first next year.
golden sloth
Rushinbear said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Seogju said:

But, what if he loves THIS game? What if he wants to play THIS game? Who are these life dictators to tell him that he can't...for his own good...when he knows the risks (that the majority do not suffer)?

EVERY sport has injuries. EVERY sport entails taking risks; in fact, that may be one of the elements that differentiates sport from pastime. That may be one of the elements that makes a sport worth playing.
It should be noted, that although people may choose to play the game out of passion (which is fine), that does not exonerate everyone else from removing unnecessary risks from the game.
71Bear
Rushinbear said:

71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

Seogju said:

Suffice to say that if football does not take steps to reduce the risk of playing the game, entities outside the game will do it for them. That is something football wants to avoid. Therefore, it is incumbent upon the leadership of the game to take action now.

For more, google Chris Borland. End of story.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.