Story Poster

ESPN Reports Cal Athletes Potentially Involved in "Shoegate" Like North Carolina

August 10, 2018

Cal could be caught up in the scandal that caused North Carolina, the Bears’ opening opponent, to suspend 13 football players. However it is unlikely whatever transgressions the Bears committed were not on the scale of the Tar Heels'

ESPN reported Friday that UNC informed three other schools including Cal that some of their players could be guilty of reselling shoes that were given to them as part of the school’s apparel deal. That is a violation of NCAA rules.

Cal issued a brief statement Friday saying North Carolina notified it only last week of the possibility of some wrong doing by Berkeley athletes.

“North Carolina contacted us last Friday afternoon (Aug. 3) to inform us of the allegation,” the statement read. “Our compliance office is conducting a review of the claim and, based on what it finds, will determine whether a report needs to be provided to the NCAA. As an athletic department, we expect coaches, staff and student-athletes to comply with all NCAA rules and regulations.”

According to the ESPN report the shoes involved were Nike Air Jordans, which can fetch four figures on the resale market. However, Cal’s current apparel contract is with Under Armour, so  if any Cal athletes did re-sell Nike shoes, they are probably no longer in school at Berkeley.

A Cal spokesman said that the school did not know even which sport, football or basketball, might be involved.

Here is the link to the ESPN story:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24344541/north-carolina-tar-heels-warn-others-wake-ncaa-violations-shoe-resales

Discussion from...

ESPN Reports Cal Athletes Potentially Involved in "Shoegate" Like North Carolina

10,316 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tigertim
socaliganbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UNC needs a beatdown.
YuSeeBerkeley
I'm not saying this just because it's now our guys who are implicated. If these athletes were given apparel that they chose not to keep and took money, instead, what's the big deal? Are they not allowed to resell their textbooks after the school year because that was also part of their scholarship? It just seems like a waste.
Richmondbear2
"Unlikely they were not on the scale of UNC"

Whats with the double negative? Am I supposed to take this literally?
Bobodeluxe
Shoe me the money.
Blueblood

"You wanna buy some old
used shoes?"
Big C
That football probation in the early/mid '70s, plus...
L'Affaire Bozeman, plus...
Those two toxic WRs and the nutty professor during Holmoe, plus...
Didin't Monty get a warning for making one too many phone calls or something, plus...
This latest... equals...

NCAA Determines Cal Has Pattern of Misconduct Stretching Over Five Decades, Issues "Death Penalty"

Or have I become a little too cynical over the years?
71Bear
Big C said:

Didin't Monty get a warning for making one too many phone calls or something, plus...
This latest... equals...

NCAA Determines Cal Has Pattern of Misconduct Stretching Over Five Decades, Issues "Death Penalty"

Yeah, I think so...

Of course, I have yet to see a penalty assessed against Cal that I felt was unwarranted. Cal has done some very stupid things in the past and deserved the sanctions it received.
FloriDreaming
71Bear said:

Big C said:

This latest... equals...

Yeah, I think so...

Of course, I have yet to see a penalty assessed against Cal that I felt was unwarranted. Cal has done some very stupid things in the past and deserved the sanctions it received.
I agree with 71 here. The sanctions against Cal have been appropriate, primarily because the university was proactive in dealing with the problem once it became aware. And if there is a problem here I'm sure punishment will be measured and appropriate. And as usual, Cal's excuse will be they were unaware and can't tell their elbow from their arse, like everything else Cal. And because Cal is Cal, the NCAA will accept that excuse without any further question.

Cal does soooooooooooo many things wrong when it comes to FB and MBB but when it comes to NCAA compliance, at least Cal is honest in its incompetence. I guess that's better than being deliberately dishonest, but not by much.

This whole shoe thing (and so many things before) points to a dire need to reform the NCAA.
BearlyCareAnymore
YuSeeBerkeley said:

I'm not saying this just because it's now our guys who are implicated. If these athletes were given apparel that they chose not to keep and took money, instead, what's the big deal? Are they not allowed to resell their textbooks after the school year because that was also part of their scholarship? It just seems like a waste.
Colleges did this to themselves. In the old days you could just give the players tickets for their family. Then schools set up boosters buying the tickets back from them for thousands of dollars so now family picks up tickets at will call. Players could get jobs. Then boosters paid them outlandish amounts to park cars or something stupid that they never showed up for. Now no jobs. Same thing with selling merchandise.

This is not a matter of a few bucks. It is in the thousands. It doesn't have to be a waste. If they don't want the shoes, they don't have to take them. It is supposed to be equipment provided for them to participate in or train for their sport. They aren't supposed to be give aways (even if that is what they actually are). Without the rule, schools will give ridiculous amounts of merchandise and they'll miraculously be able to sell it all for multiple times its value.

We either allow payers to be paid or we don't. That should be a conscious, agreed upon rule change and it should be above board. We shouldn't have a situation where we pretend the rule is they don't get paid and then we allow some schools to give them thousands of dollars in merchandise to sell to get around the rule. The players are well aware of the rule.
Rushinbear
OaktownBear said:

YuSeeBerkeley said:

Colleges did this to themselves. In the old days you could just give the players tickets for their family. Then schools set up boosters buying the tickets back from them for thousands of dollars so now family picks up tickets at will call. Players could get jobs. Then boosters paid them outlandish amounts to park cars or something stupid that they never showed up for. Now no jobs. Same thing with selling merchandise.

This is not a matter of a few bucks. It is in the thousands. It doesn't have to be a waste. If they don't want the shoes, they don't have to take them. It is supposed to be equipment provided for them to participate in or train for their sport. They aren't supposed to be give aways (even if that is what they actually are). Without the rule, schools will give ridiculous amounts of merchandise and they'll miraculously be able to sell it all for multiple times its value.

We either allow payers to be paid or we don't. That should be a conscious, agreed upon rule change and it should be above board. We shouldn't have a situation where we pretend the rule is they don't get paid and then we allow some schools to give them thousands of dollars in merchandise to sell to get around the rule. The players are well aware of the rule.
If you pay the players you are one step and a pay raise from creating true minor league fb. Keep it amateur and a development ground for the pro's or go minor league equivalent and watch the colleges divest in droves.
socalBear23
YuSeeBerkeley said:

What is to stop the $C's of the world of providing a "supply" of shoes that said "recruit" would know about prior to LOI day? Also proving a "buyer" to make sure it stays under wraps.

That is why it is a big deal.
GoBears89
Harbaugh claims Michigan is in the clear. Claims all player shoes are accounted for....

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/08/13/jim-harbaugh-michigan-football-shoes/983481002/

Hopefully, we are able to do the same!!
tigertim
I really, really don't care to be honest. The players should be paid anyway.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.