Happy 20th Bear-thday CyberBears.ORG ---->.BearInsider!!!

12,983 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by smh
Calfans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CyberBears.ORG had it's Grand Opening on Sept 3, 1998. I am so sad GreyBear is not here to celebrate!

CyberBears.ORG first scan by archive.org

The old boards are online if you explore the above link.

Some familiar names were with us at the beginning Credits
Who else has been here that long?

We started at FansOnly. We were CyberBears.ORG, We were GoCyberBears, We were part of Scout, california.theinsiders, ESPN and now BearInsider.

Happy Bear-thday to you **. .** Happy Bear-thday to you**. .** Happy Bear-thday BearInsider **. .** Happy Bear-thday to you and many more.**. **. .** GO BEARS!!!

Cal-i-for-nia. (Clap, Clap)(Clap, Clap, Clap)

STEAKKNIVES4LIFE
Fun look back. Thanks Ellen.
Chapman_is_Gone
Cyberbears.COM is still going strong...pretty impressive run for them as well.
grumpybear
My anniversary was 1999 with Cyber Bears.
grumpybear
I do miss GreyBear.
bearister
grumpybear said:

My anniversary was 1999 with Cyber Bears.

I hope all those hairy dudes are still having fun.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal8285
Nice blast from the past. It was great that GreyBear created CyberBears (.org). For those who weren't around, "We" indeed started at FansOnly, but that wasn't GreyBear's place, or any of us Cal fans (not to be confused with Calfans), except to the extent that FansOnly was pretty much nothing but a meaasage board that was nothing but for "us."

I don't remember the reasons GreyBear decided to start an independent site, but when he did, everyone (I mean EVERYONE) left FansOnly and came to CyberBears. A credit to the respect that GreyBear gained on FansOnly. Overnight, the Cal FansOnly site turned into a ghost town. That amazing migration of EVERYONE happened 20 years ago today. Thanks to GreyBear for what he created and all he did for it (which means all he did for us).

I hope the character of this place will always retain some of GreyBear's character, so that he lives forever through this site.
GranadaHillsBear
I was posting under a different username and was also active on the mail list "board". It's been a long road in this Board, but it's like a second e-home
smh
those were the days, 'member it well, thanks big bunches Calfans.

semi-random wayback grab of Growls threads the first week of november, including a few from the farm..
https://web.archive.org/web/19981206001719/http://www.cyberbears.org

ps: wild guess at handle spelling, but by now teener SteveGREGINeedMoreCharacters could be a grandpop.
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
TheSouseFamily
Blueblood had his own official blog? Man, I don't remember that at all. Probably Walnuts doing all the heavy lifting on that, I gotta assume.
TomBear
I don't recall which one I was first involved with, but I remember that one (was it Cyberbears?) had a correct extension, and if you got it wrong you ended up in a place you didn't want to be!

Anyway, it's been a wonderful outlet for Cal fans to use, make friends, and learn from. Thanks to all who have made all of this possible!!!
petalumabear
Very cool to see this. I didn't learn of the various board until BI was a Scout Board and I've been around since then. Was that 2003-ish? ... amazing the pace of change and I have to admit I can't imagine BlueBlood as a contributor but hey you never know what you don't know.... or never saw....

Thanks for this Ellen.
Blueblood
petalumabear said:

Very cool to see this. I didn't learn of the various board until BI was a Scout Board and I've been around since then. Was that 2003-ish? ... amazing the pace of change and I have to admit I can't imagine BlueBlood as a contributor but hey you never know what you don't know.... or never saw....

Thanks for this Ellen.
You must therefore feel that the early stuff was all fake news! You're lucky Trump coined the word for you
country people.
Calfans
I think we first "met" on the GoBears Mailing list. Fansonly was the Cal site. They had message boards but then they started moderating the posts and no one liked that. They were redoing the boards (maybe becoming calbears.com?) and then GreyBear made the website to fill the void. gregIneedmorecharacters came up with the name CyberBears.

Site Map at CyberBears.ORG

Some of you may not know, but when we were with Scout, GreyBear published a magazine. Scout website

GreyBear created Bear Play. Since I would NEVER pick against Cal, he made the scoring so that you could get points for the closeness to the score.

Who remembers the CyberBears buttons? the GoCyberBears banner? The Table is Set, Let the Big Bear Eat t-shirt?

So many memories.

BearsWiin
Ode Besar!
MoragaBear
Staff
IIRC, the FansOnly board was down for a long period (2 weeks?) and GreyBear stepped right in and designed a forum of our own and the rest was history.

He had background with both the newsletter and software engineering so it was a natural extension of his love for Cal.

I wasn't here from the beginning but when I joined, there was an all lower case moragabear, too, an alum from the 60's or so, I believe.

Cheers to Grey for his vision and stewardship of something really special to be a part of and to calfans for her love, dedication and efforts for the site for the better part of two decades, too.
calumnus
Wow. 20 years at 1 hr (or more) per day....

Thanks!
Aussie Bear
I was around on the gobears mailing list but I was on something even before that. Anyone remember Reza Serafine (sp?) who was one of the earliest organizers, if not the first. There was also some IT guy named Dave (IIRC) who used to troubleshoot things and set up a few meetings for list members.

Aussie
Cal8285
Calfans said:

I think we first "met" on the GoBears Mailing list. Fansonly was the Cal site. They had message boards but then they started moderating the posts and no one liked that. They were redoing the boards (maybe becoming calbears.com?) and then GreyBear made the website to fill the void. gregIneedmorecharacters came up with the name CyberBears.

Site Map at CyberBears.ORG

Some of you may not know, but when we were with Scout, GreyBear published a magazine. Scout website

GreyBear created Bear Play. Since I would NEVER pick against Cal, he made the scoring so that you could get points for the closeness to the score.

Who remembers the CyberBears buttons? the GoCyberBears banner? The Table is Set, Let the Big Bear Eat t-shirt?

So many memories.
How about the Golden Oski awards? I may have won an award for most long-winded, but I always admired anyone who could win MOC (Most Optimistic CyberBear). Did both KoreAmBear and the poster now known as smh both win MOC?
Cal88
grumpybear said:

I do miss GreyBear.
RIP GreyBear, and Gary Moore aka GoldenBear71, who's left us a few years earlier.
burritos
Been there since the beginning. Actually was on the listserv. email group since 1993-1994(is that the correct time frame?)
FuzzyWuzzy
Well if this board has been around for 20 years it is easy to see it lasting another 20, or 50. Those of you with the historical knowledge ought to put your collective memories together and write it all down in a thread called History, and put a sticky on it. So those who come after you can know what came before. Maybe this is that thread.
smh
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Well if this board has been around for 20 years it is easy to see it lasting another 20, or 50. Those of you with the historical knowledge ought to put your collective memories together and write it all down in a thread called History, and put a sticky on it. So those who come after you can know what came before. Maybe this is that thread.
more than a few original poster's sell by date measures in single digits, or less. the mind slips, goes fuzzy wuzzy unnoticed.

"C'est la vie", say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell"

smh
Cal8285 said:

How about the Golden Oski awards? I may have won an award for most long-winded, but I always admired anyone who could win MOC (Most Optimistic CyberBear). Did both KoreAmBear and the poster now known as smh both win MOC?
> I may have won an award for most long-winded..
you did, you did, never challenged happily ever after.

if memory serves MOC votes were a photo finish / lean at the tape. in practice only KAB followed thru, a Keep Hope Alive real deal. # the impossible dream
smh
BearsWiin said:

Ode Besar!
for future times / newbie's sake i bookmarked a darned relevant field under construction jpeg thusly:
http:img8.imageshack.us/img8/253/odebesar.jpg

except imageshack access is members-only now, or facebook, as if anybody has that.
# link fail
philbert
Aussie Bear said:

I was around on the gobears mailing list but I was on something even before that. Anyone remember Reza Serafine (sp?) who was one of the earliest organizers, if not the first. There was also some IT guy named Dave (IIRC) who used to troubleshoot things and set up a few meetings for list members.

Aussie
I thought the gobears mailing list was formed by Reza? Don't remember Dave, though.
smh
Cal88 said:

grumpybear said:

I do miss GreyBear.
RIP GreyBear, and Gary Moore aka GoldenBear71, who's left us a few years earlier.
rememberance thread..
https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/51250/replies/849723
KoreAmBear
Yes I remember the gobears list fondly. I would be so eager to get some comment about Cal football in the early days of email listserves.

I have met so many great people I may not otherwise have met through Cyberbears (dot org). Who knows who I have would have met through Cyberbears (dot com), but I digress.

Some of those I met, I was able to see at Maxwell Field this past Saturday. It's so common these days when a friend asks how I've met some of you, I tell them "through a sports message board." That's really the only way they understand lol.

Happy 20th bday to Cyberbears. RIP Grey and GB71. We do need to bring back the Golden Oskis though! My favorite award was "Most Popular Outside Poster" lol. I forget who won that a lot, maybe the guy from Oregon? Do we have outside poster regulars these days?
okaydo
It's always weird to see old web pages from the 90s. I had assumed Cal Strong! was much younger.

TheSouseFamily
I tried clicking on the old Blueblood blogs but to no avail.

Russia, if you're listening, if you can somehow get the old Blueblood blogs, the BI community would reward you handsomely.
Blueblood
TheSouseFamily said:

Russia, if you're listening, if you can somehow get the old Blueblood blogs, the BI community would reward you handsomely.

"Nyet! Are you out of your babobski mind?
We have no record of comrade Blueblood
writing anything, but let me also add that I
know that he is good boy!"
bearister
Blueblood said:

TheSouseFamily said:

"Nyet! Are you out of your babobski mind?
We have no record of comrade Blueblood
writing anything, but let me also add that I
know that he is good boy!"

I told you about the walrus and me, man
You know that we're as close as can be, man
Well here's another clue for you all
The walrus was Blueblood
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Calfans
We also lost ancientbear42 in Sept, 2016. He was 96, sharp as a tack, and still followed the Bears. PRD74 would help him with Justintv. I'd send him posters and schedules. He stopped posting here but he still sent me emails which were a challenge to decipher sometimes but Ole Mac always ended them Go Bears

MoragaBear
Staff
I love seeing our old Old Blues at the games. We were in the elevator with a couple probably in their 90's, all decked out in Cal gear.

When so many complain about not going to the games anymore for this reason or that, I see people like them and think that's what it's all about.
mcd59
Thanks, Ellen, for your role in helping Greybear start BI. He and I went in to see Jeff Tedford with the idea of starting an Old Blue board for Cal FB news for a fee of $20/mo but we were told to get lost by the AD. [ Barber I think ] But Greybear persisted and we owe the board to you and him. Milt David, MD
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.