Is Oregon 2018 the equivalent of USC 2003? Or Washington 2002

2,846 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calbearinamaze
HodaddyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How important is the Oregon game?

In my opinion the whole flavor of Cal football changed after the thrilling defeat of #3 USC in 2003. From that point on, we expected to win every game, even if we were underdogs in the betting line.

That feeling of optimism lasted until the 4th quarter of the Oregon State game in 2007...though at the time it wasn't clear that would be the high water mark for Cal.

(I know some will point out that we were ranked as high as #6 in 2009 before Oregon and USC in successive weeks dismantled us, which, then resulted in 8 largely miserable years. With the power of hindsight, it felt like we never really recovered from the OSU lost, despite the chimera of success over the next two years...more of a dying flame that was finally extinguished)

We beat USC in 2003. But finished the regular season 7-6 before another amazing game against VaTech in the Insight Bowl. So even though we beat the #3 team, we still didn't have a stellar record. But it just felt different. Really different. The next year we were 10-2...and we were rolling.

USC 2003 showed the fans, the rest of the country, and the players that we were a serious, significant program. When I wore my Cal hat or shirt around LA people after that people gave me a different kind of look.

For some reason I feel like if we beat Oregon next week, it will signal something. We will still lose other games this year. But it will start to feel like we should win. I don't know if the players will feel the same way, but that sense of irrational optimism that curses every true Cal fan will be reignited. After a long slumber.

Oregon 2018 isn't quite the dominant program of USC 2003, but it still feels like it could be the start of something special. Though I'm probably getting a bit ahead of ourselves...but at least I finally have some optimism again. And that irrational optimism is what makes being a Cal fan so special. And why I keep buying seadon tickets even though I live in LA (though in the last few years, I thought about canceling them...)

And if not...maybe it will be like beating #12 Washington in 2002...which was just a peak behind the curtain of what would become some awesome Jeff Tedford teams. And that would be good enough too.

Go Bears!

Eastern Oregon Bear
While the 2002 Washington victory seemed significant at the time, Washington ended up 7-6 that season. On the other hand, beating USC (12-1) in 2003 was a great milestone.
NYCGOBEARS
Beating Oregon this year will give us a small bump. Beating UW changes the paradigm.
packawana
The UDub or Stanford game is more important depending on whos running the North when we play them.
Big C
NYCGOBEARS said:

Beating Oregon this year will give us a small bump. Beating UW changes the paradigm.
Yeah, I don't think anybody expects Oregon to be really good this year, do they? If they get past Furd this weekend (do-able), they will be highly ranked though.

It's Washington. But how much of a chance do we have in that one?

Getting the Axe back in November would put a high water mark on my chimera!
socalBear23
NYCGOBEARS said:

This.
KoreAmBear
This is just a huge game because if we win, like Ducky said, we are staring 7-0 in the face. Then you can draw comparisons to our 5-0 start in 1991 and the heavyweight matchup with an all-time UW team. But I'll calm down now.
BearSD
Yeah, one game at a time here, guys. We won't even have an idea how good Oregon is until they play LSJU on Saturday.
82gradDLSdad
Our coaching seems solid enough. I'm still thinking we need an uptick in recruiting before we start to think we are headed in the mid-2000 direction. We have zero game changers on offense. That makes for tough sledding. Every drive needs to be a long string of well run plays vs. getting some 'cheap' tds by getting the ball to a burner. My two cents.
Fyght4Cal
A. Nothing is more important than beating Stanfurd

B. Nothing will get more press and more play with the recruits than beating the LA schools

C. Beating Oregon is more important than beating Washington.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
KoreAmBear
Fyght4Cal said:

B. Nothing will get more press and more play with the recruits than beating the LA schools

Disagree on two of the three:

A. Getting to a Rose Bowl is more important
B. Being in the Top 25 while the LA schools are down will get us more play, not just beating them
C. Yes, if we beat the other teams in between Oregon and UW games; otherwise beating UW will provide more shock value
Fyght4Cal
KoreAmBear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

Disagree on two of the three:

A. Getting to a Rose Bowl is more important
B. Being in the Top 25 while the LA schools are down will get us more play, not just beating them
C. Yes, if we beat the other teams in between Oregon and UW games; otherwise beating UW will provide more shock value

A. Ok, if we're being optimists (optimism is bad, btw), short of the CFP or the Rose Bowl, nothing is as important than beating Stanfurd.

B. Rankings will take care of themselves. We can't have recruits going to LA to hear, "Cal? We always beat them."

C. Glad we agree. Beating Oregon and Washington are clearly important if we're being optimistic (which is bad).
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
calumnus
Our game against Oregon is not important because of who or how good Oregon is. As others have said, the Furd and UW games are bigger challenges. It is important because it will tell us how good WE are, which frankly is a big mystery at the moment.
510 Bear
82gradDLSdad said:

Our coaching seems solid enough. I'm still thinking we need an uptick in recruiting before we start to think we are headed in the mid-2000 direction. We have zero game changers on offense. That makes for tough sledding. Every drive needs to be a long string of well run plays vs. getting some 'cheap' tds by getting the ball to a burner. My two cents.
This thread gives me bad flashbacks to the 2007 "Would you rather with the National Championship or the Rose Bowl" discussion". I still have some optimism with Dancy, Ways, Bunting, McIlwain, Brown on our sideline. But they're ALL going to need to have big seasons just to give us a shot against any of the good Pac-12 teams.

Some furdies I know think they're a lock to beat us at least 5 more times, as (paraphrasing them) their genius Bradford Freeman Director of Football David Shaw continues to toy with our embarrassing s@*#show. If Wilcox can pull off a WSU-type upset this year, please let it be against them.
hanky1
2002 and 2003 season were the most fun I've ever had as a Cal fan.
kingpindonuts
1. Beat one of the greatest college football teams of all time
2. Beat a team that just beat powerhouse San Jose St by 13 points

yeah, not equal...
heartofthebear
Without comparing, I think a win over Oregon will be huge.
Yes, we beat down a highly WSU team last year, but, as a program WSU is not elite like Oregon.
I mean Oregon is one of the wealthiest programs in the country and, in that sense, is like Furd, USC, Notre Dame etc. Additionally, they were a perennial national title contender until CK left only a few years ago. And always aspire to a conference title.

Cal has yet to beat such a team under Wilcox, although the win vs. BYU, as ugly as it was, is a symptom that it could happen this year.

Also, a win would mean that the WSU win last year was not a fluke, or a bad day for the Cougs. And it will have more serious pull for top recruits, which is what helped turn around the program under JT.

I still think that, in the end, Cal and Wilcox, will not be fully respected until we show a more explosive capability on offense as well. We might be in every game and still be only mediocre because we won't win those games without a scoring threat.

All indications are that Oregon, once again, is rolling on offense. I think we are going to have to keep pace offensively and I don't think our defense has shown that it can carry the team for 60 minutes (50 minutes yes). That last 10 minutes will be a lot more painful against a team like Oregon than it has been up till now.
calbearinamaze
Oregon has played an EXTREMELY easy schedule so far. However, even if they
get beaten badly by Sanfurd, this would be a big win for the Bears....
Oregon has built a national perception that is really good.
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.