Oregon Football

3,601 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fyght4Cal
FuzzyWuzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, I would be thankful if someone could school me on Oregon Football over the last say 3-4 years. I just don't pay much attention to other teams but now that we play them next I want to get up to speed. Pretend I am a Big 10 fan who doesn't know the landscape. Here are my questions, but feel free to provide other info if you think it is helpful.

1. What happened to Willie Taggart? He replaced Helfrich, right? Was he good or bad at OU? Why did he go to FSU?

2. What is your opinion of the new OU coach, where did he come from/what is his background, and do they (and we) think he is a good coach?

3. The only time I have seen Justin Herbert (Hebert?) play was his very first college game. He looked like a deer in the headlights but hey it was his first ever college game. What is your opinion of him as a player, and what does the football press think of him?

4. What would you guess is the football press's amalgamated, "rotten tomatoes" prediction for OU's record this year? 9-3? 8-4?

5. The one thing I consistently hear about OU is the great recruits they get. What should their record be based on their recruiting?

Thanks in advance you knowledgeable CFB fans out there.
McUrsine
As a Cal fan who retired to the Eugene area, the first thing I will tell you is that people here consider OU to be Oklahoma....Oregon is UO here! It's hard not to get inundated with the Ducks, as they are all the local sports news has to report on....ad naseum.

The culture here is different, as, having tasted much success in the last decade (because of seemingly bottomless athletic spending and low academic requirements) fans here could not tolerate even a single mediocre season like they experienced with Helfrich, so after one Cal-like season, he was out and Taggart was in. But Taggart was a Floridian by nature and readily left after being offered his dream couching job at FSU. His departure after one so-so season created a lot of ill will here and Duck fans are relishing his poor start at FSU.
YamhillBear
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OK, I would be thankful if someone could school me on Oregon Football over the last say 3-4 years. I just don't pay much attention to other teams but now that we play them next I want to get up to speed. Pretend I am a Big 10 fan who doesn't know the landscape. Here are my questions, but feel free to provide other info if you think it is helpful.

1. What happened to Willie Taggart? He replaced Helfrich, right? Was he good or bad at OU? Why did he go to FSU?

2. What is your opinion of the new OU coach, where did he come from/what is his background, and do they (and we) think he is a good coach?

3. The only time I have seen Justin Herbert (Hebert?) play was his very first college game. He looked like a deer in the headlights but hey it was his first ever college game. What is your opinion of him as a player, and what does the football press think of him?

4. What would you guess is the football press's amalgamated, "rotten tomatoes" prediction for OU's record this year? 9-3? 8-4?

5. The one thing I consistently hear about OU is the great recruits they get. What should their record be based on their recruiting?

Thanks in advance you knowledgeable CFB fans out there.
0. As McUrsine already pointed out, UO or U of O is the shorthand for U of Oregon.
1. Yep, Taggart fled quickly to FSU. Most say he was a Florida guy just waiting to get an offer there.
2. When Taggart left, many said that they promoted Cristobal in order to keep the recruits in place. Not sure what to say about his coaching. The entire staff seem to be crack recruiters.
3. Herbert is pretty highly thought of, from everything I hear.
4. I don't follow the press widely, but I think that your 9-3 or 8-4 seem to be what I've seen. I think they might be a bit high, but not really sure yet until they play an actual team.
5. Yep, they have and are recruiting like a house on fire. But, as we have seen (coughUCLAcough) that is never the entire story.
PDXCalFan
1. Taggart was a great recruiter. Brought in some top level talent (some of which remained when he left). He grew up a FSU fan and that was probably the lone job he'd leave for.

2. Mario Cristobal was previously at Alabama as the OLine coach. Was the Co-OC when he came to Oregon until the other guy got a DUI. He's another great recruiter and a better coach with legit pedigree. I think all Oregon fans are happy he's the head coach now.

3. Herbert is a legit talent. Probably on Mariota's level in terms of physical tools. He doesn't have the instincts and isn't as quick, but he has a cannon and is still a legit running threat. The problem he has is lack of touch on short throws which is exacerbated by receivers who already can't catch. He's viewed by many as a legit first round pick and in the conversation for the top few QBs in what is seen as a lesser QB class than last year.

4. I think you're close with 8-4. They have talent and a very good run defense but pass defense has looked vulnerable at times and running game has not looked sharp. I would peg them in the 8 or maybe 9 win realm. We'll learn a lot on Saturday when they actually open things up after playing 3 cupcakes.

5. Recruiting wasn't as great towards the end of Helfrich's tenure so they're probably around where they should be. With current trends they should be legit PAC-12 contenders should that talent (and most importantly their next QB) pan out.

Also they're UO and Oklahoma is OU.
82gradDLSdad
I always wonder how these 'top recruiters' would do at Cal. "Look son, if you come to UO you won't have to study, the entire town will be your oyster and you'll get every bit of top Nike equipment you'll ever want. Plus, wink wink, there may be a few green pieces of paper in each shoe, you know, to keep the shoe shape".
petalumabear
82gradDLSdad said:

I always wonder how these 'top recruiters' would do at Cal. "Look son, if you come to UO you won't have to study, the entire town will be your oyster and you'll get every bit of top Nike equipment you'll ever want. Plus, wink wink, there may be a few green pieces of paper in each shoe, you know, to keep the shoe shape".
  • See Tosh
oursdor
YamhillBear said:

0. As McUrsine already pointed out, UO or U of O is the shorthand for U of Oregon.
1. Yep, Taggart fled quickly to FSU. Most say he was a Florida guy just waiting to get an offer there.
2. When Taggart left, many said that they promoted Cristobal in order to keep the recruits in place. Not sure what to say about his coaching. The entire staff seem to be crack recruiters.
3. Herbert is pretty highly thought of, from everything I hear.
4. I don't follow the press widely, but I think that your 9-3 or 8-4 seem to be what I've seen. I think they might be a bit high, but not really sure yet until they play an actual team.
5. Yep, they have and are recruiting like a house on fire. But, as we have seen (coughUCLAcough) that is never the entire story.

The Oregon recruiters that really matter work 100 miles north in Beaverton.
okaydo

Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Quote:

... people here consider OU to be Oklahoma....Oregon is UO here!

Quote:

... already pointed out, UO or U of O is the shorthand for U of Oregon.

Quote:

That is EXACTLY WHY we SHOULD call them OU, never UO. Why should we kowtow to their preferences instead of the exact opposite? A rival's pet peeve is a blessed gift from the empyrean welkin! I shall call them "OU (Baby Sooners)," or "OU Sucks" (Sooners + Ducks = Sucks), in addition to Sweatshop "U" and Eugene Diploma Mill.
AEM80
I think Herbert will end up a better quarterback than Mariota, at least on the pro level. Went to the game last night and he was plenty accurate on short and long throws. Better size and a stronger arm than Mariota. Mariota is a better athlete but Herbert is still plenty good as a runner. Mariota will always have a special place in minds of Oregon fans. He helped take the program to another level. I don't think Herbert has the coaching staff Mariota had, nor does have great players around him.
petalumabear
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is EXACTLY WHY we SHOULD call them OU, never UO. Why should we kowtow to their preferences instead of the exact opposite? A rival's pet peeve is a blessed gift from the empyrean welkin! I shall call them "OU (Baby Sooners)," or "OU Sucks" (Sooners + Ducks = Sucks), in addition to Sweatshop "U" and Eugene Diploma Mill.
LMAO Nasal.... search any of the threads here where people are crying in their cereal over "Berkeley" vs. Cal or UC Berkeley etc.... the whole thing rings pretty hollow in that context.
Fyght4Cal
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately, that traditional Cal spirit- mocking, intemperate, profane and football-smart- appears to be dead and stinkin' like old Ned Jenkins
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.