Kate Scott as Successor to Starkey?

6,280 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
Mama Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No Burnski. That's your opinion. Not all voices, men or women please everyone. There are a number of male (and one female) play by play voices that bug me. Women who have been relegated to sideline duty are another chapter. A few female basketball sideline reporters are making their mark on national TV, deservedly so. Opportunity is all we can ask, men or women.
Millbear
Concur 100%
Yogi58
bearister said:

BearMDJD said:

Kate would be a good choice. Personally I'd like to see Cal switch over 95.7 the game and get the morning show guys like Joe, Lo, and Dibs involved in some capacity.

That would be great if 95.7 was convinced more than a few thousand would listen. I quit trying to give my tickets away to Cal football and basketball games I couldn't attend many years ago because after the 5th person told me "no thanks" I was afraid I would physically assault the next person who rejected them.
Bearister, you can hit me up for those someday. I've been wanting to go to Berkeley and try out the new Intermezzo and it's been too long since my last trip to Memorial. No physical assault required, though I can think of a few who might like you more if you did.
Yogi58
heartofthebear said:

She'd need a good color person with her but I'm OK with the idea.
We got the good color radio guy slot taken care of. It's the play by play we need to sort out.
heartofthebear
Yogi Bear said:

heartofthebear said:

She'd need a good color person with her but I'm OK with the idea.
We got the good color radio guy slot taken care of. It's the play by play we need to sort out.
makes sense
KenBurnski
Thanks for letting me know that my opinion is my opinion. I'm glad you got a chance to stand up against my misinformation campaign.
HungryCalBear
I called this last week, Kate replacing Starkey. I would be thrilled. And Cal will be once again ahead of other school in something. Hard to replace Starkey's expression of emotion and excitement on a thrilling play, but after last week listening to Kate I thought we've found a replacement. Roxy is great, but to me he just doesn't have that same sense of excitement when something great happening on the field. IMHO.
wifeisafurd
ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

I thought Todd McKim was an UC employee. Any way, I'm sure there's a way/clause for schools to get get certain broadcaster they like in the booth.

Neither McKim or Starkey are in the UC employee salary database. Would also guess that Cal gets absolute approval over who Learfield puts in the booth. It would not be hard for one to move from IMG to Learfield upon the contract change if that's what Cal Athletics requested.
Todd works for IMG (look at his LInkedin page to confirm or gale him). And yes the schools have a major say in who is the voice of their school. But the guys that are picked usually have a lot of broadcast experience and background and are not alums of the schools.
wifeisafurd
ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

I thought Todd McKim was an UC employee. Any way, I'm sure there's a way/clause for schools to get get certain broadcaster they like in the booth.

Neither McKim or Starkey are in the UC employee salary database. Would also guess that Cal gets absolute approval over who Learfield puts in the booth. It would not be hard for one to move from IMG to Learfield upon the contract change if that's what Cal Athletics requested.
Well all this is really amusing. So you guys know about the IMG and Learfield merger, right?
Yogi58
wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

Well all this is really amusing. So you guys to know about the IMG and Learfield merger, right?
Looperbear
HungryCalBear said:

I called this last week, Kate replacing Starkey. I would be thrilled. And Cal will be once again ahead of other school in something. Hard to replace Starkey's expression of emotion and excitement on a thrilling play, but after last week listening to Kate I thought we've found a replacement. Roxy is great, but to me he just doesn't have that same sense of excitement when something great happening on the field. IMHO.

I like Kate Scott and think she has a good delivery but Roxy is a great play by play announcer and we would be lucky to have him. Kate has little experience with radio play by play.
ColoradoBear
wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

Well all this is really amusing. So you guys to know about the IMG and Learfield merger, right?

Has the IMG - Learfield deal even closed yet? In regard to the Cal licensing contract, the IMG - Learfield merger was announced well after the Cal announced the move from Learfield, and after the actual changeover. So someone like Starkey would have had to move from IMG to Learfield.

I don't even think whether someone works for IMG or Learfield is even the interestinglart of the conversation - it's whether they are Cal employees (as you said they are not) and whether Cal has control over who is in the book.

But while we are on the topic of the merger, I would also venture to say Cal got pretty lucky with the timing of their new media contract (as did UCLA and other schools that signed deals before the merger). Without IMG and Learfield competing against each other, it's very possible these deals stagnate or decline in value in hthr future.
wifeisafurd
ColoradoBear said:

wifeisafurd said:

ColoradoBear said:

Another Bear said:

Has the IMG - Learfield deal even closed yet? In regard to the Cal licensing contract, the IMG - Learfield merger was announced well after the Cal announced the move from Learfield, and after the actual changeover. So someone like Starkey would have had to move from IMG to Learfield.

To the extent you believe the recent press release, the only thing left is final clearance from the DOJ, which s/b forthcoming shortly. FWIW, IMG's college business will be folded into the Learfield label, and control essentially all of the Power 5. The press release suggests this is the focus of the DOJ review.

One thing that suggests the merger is happening is senior executives are now leaving (e.g., Learfield's CEO just left).
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.