Kate Scott as Successor to Starkey?

6,330 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by wifeisafurd
MSaviolives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is a nice long-form interview with Kate Scott in The Athletic this morning. The Athletic Article on Kate Scott (it is a pay site). The interview contains the following passage:

Quote:

But I had a really good time calling the Cal football game last week. And then down the line, being back in Memorial Stadium this past weekend got me thinking, "How awesome would it be to be the voice of Cal football?"

I looked over at Joe Starkey and we waved to each other. And it's like, he is a legend and nobody's ever going to fill his shoes. But think of all the games he's gotten to cover and how cool that would be. Think about Ted (Robinson) down with the 49ers and the calls he's gotten to make. The Vernon Post, and I'm flashing back to all the things I hear in my head. And Lon (Simmons) and company growing up, and obviously Flem and Miller, and Kuip and Kruk. Getting to be that invested with one particular team especially a team that I love would be incredible. So those are all dreams and goals that are starting to come into focus a little more.
There is a recent thread discussing whether Starkey days should be numbered, but I thought Kate's potential interest in the job merited its own thread.
MugsVanSant
I like Starkey. He is loyal and definitely on our side. He actually has played college football. Kate has not. I hope he stays until he is physically unable to do the job.
MSaviolives
MugsVanSant said:

I like Starkey. He is loyal and definitely on our side. He actually has played college football. Kate has not. I hope he stays until he is physically unable to do the job.
OK, got it. Kate is apparently neither loyal nor on our side--and playing football (according to Wikipedia, Joe "briefly played football at Thornton Junior College") is a prerequisite for competent play by play announcing.
socaliganbear
MugsVanSant said:

Huh?
chalcidbear
I would love to see Kate Scott evolve from Cal's Mic Man to the voice of Cal Football ... I just wonder if this would be a retrograde movement from her present position with the Pac-12 network - I mean, doesn't TV usually outrank radio?
bluehenbear
KGO / Learfield / Cal should pull out all the stops to get Roxy Bernstein.

I don't know if college football is his first choice for announcing (baseball perhaps?)
Another Bear
Someone will have to replace Starkey at some point. Might as well be someone young and someone who has a connection with Cal.
bearister
MugsVanSant said:

Thanks, Joe. If there is a God, Kate will get the gig.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ducky23
bluehenbear said:

I don't know if college football is his first choice for announcing (baseball perhaps?)

Yeah but roxy never played football!!!
socaliganbear
bluehenbear said:

He's already too big IMO.
SmellinRoses
Listened to her broadcast of ISU game - think she has a ways to go. Not that she can't get there...
philbert
socaliganbear said:

bluehenbear said:

He's already too big IMO.
This. Roxy would have to want to do this as he has many options already.

As for Kate, maybe. Not sure how much Learfield pays for this gig and how much it would interfere with her Pac12 network job.
BearMDJD
Kate would be a good choice. Personally I'd like to see Cal switch over 95.7 the game and get the morning show guys like Joe, Lo, and Dibs involved in some capacity.
UrsaMajor
BearMDJD said:

Kate would be a good choice. Personally I'd like to see Cal switch over 95.7 the game and get the morning show guys like Joe, Lo, and Dibs involved in some capacity.
I agree, although they are notorious for not pimping their own teams. They spend over twice as much air time on the Giants as they do on the A's (even when the A's are winning). Ditto the 9ers v. the Raiders. If Cal went to 95.7, they'd probably use it as an excuse to talk up Stanfurd.
85Bear
BearMDJD said:

95.7 would be definitely an upgrade, especially if those guys can take over the postgame show too.
ducky23
UrsaMajor said:

BearMDJD said:

I agree, although they are notorious for not pimping their own teams. They spend over twice as much air time on the Giants as they do on the A's (even when the A's are winning). Ditto the 9ers v. the Raiders. If Cal went to 95.7, they'd probably use it as an excuse to talk up Stanfurd.

They just talk about whatever will give them better ratings. It's not some grand conspiracy theory

One thing cal has over furd is more fans.
AunBear89
MugsVanSant said:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
BearMDJD said:

That would be great if 95.7 was convinced more than a few thousand would listen. I quit trying to give my tickets away to Cal football and basketball games I couldn't attend many years ago because after the 5th person told me "no thanks" I was afraid I would physically assault the next person who rejected them.
OdontoBear66
MugsVanSant said:

I guess a woman can never announce football then. We better check the credentials of all those announcers who never played the game too. Couldn't possibly understand all the nuances. What a shallow comment.
MSaviolives
SmellinRoses said:

Listened to her broadcast of ISU game - think she has a ways to go. Not that she can't get there...
I heard Joe's first games calling the Oakland Seals back in the early 1970s. He had a long way to go at that time too. What a bonanza!

I am not a Joe hater or really lobbying for Kate to take over, but I do believe it is time for Joe to step back to a lesser role, and Kate's expressed interest in the job seemed worthy of discussion, which is why I started this thread.
Mama Bear
Neanderthal comment. Will they ever cease?
okaydo
MugsVanSant said:

I think that should be extended to college football, too. I would be happy if the Pac-12 instituted a ban on any head football coach who hasn't played college football.
BearMDJD
They'd be terrific for the post game
Cal_79
SmellinRoses said:

But did you know the down and distance? And perhaps even the names of the players involved?
wifeisafurd
SmellinRoses said:

For relative newbie, I thought she did a great job, and one day will make a fine replacement for Starkey. Starkey is 77 and in good physical health, and loves doing Cal games not played at Washington State (if you want a good rant from Joe, just say "Pullman") . If I had to guess, Starkey retires at 80, it being one of those seminal birthdays. Hopefully, he isn't waiting for a Rose Bowl.

With 3 more years of play by play under her belt, Kate should be ready.
KenBurnski
The broadcast voice used by female announcers drives me nuts. It reminds me of a mashup of Pat from SNL and Kathy Bates. It only happens once they step foot in the booth. The sideline reporters don't use the same tone.

I realize this makes me an awful, horrible and narrow minded person.
bearister
KenBurnski said:

The broadcast voice used by female announcers drives me nuts. It reminds me of a mashup of Pat from SNL and Kathy Bates. It only happens once they step foot in the booth. The sideline reporters don't use the same tone.

I realize this makes me an awful, horrible and narrow minded person.

...and the sideline reporters are usually little more than Fox News caliber eye candy, not highly professional and competent female play by play callers like Kate. I love the way Kate is being judged like she is competing against seasoned NFL broadcasters when her actual competition is the garden variety male hack that does PAC 12 telecasts and the pompous over the hill windbag that will have to have the microphone pried from his cold dead hands.
Sonofafurd
MSaviolives said:

SmellinRoses said:

I heard Joe's first games calling the Oakland Seals back in the early 1970s. He had a long way to go at that time too. What a bonanza!

Blackhawks bring it up. Great job by the Seals on this one. He had no chance. Seals back on the attack. He's got a chance, but no Blackhawks get it back and try to clear ... another one ... back to the point. He's got a man! Seals score! What a Bonanza! Goal of the year already, folks.
Cal8285
wifeisafurd said:

SmellinRoses said:

For relative newbie, I thought she did a great job, and one day will make a fine replacement for Starkey. Starkey is 77 and in good physical health, and loves doing Cal games not played at Washington State (if you want a good rant from Joe, just say "Pullman") . If I had to guess, Starkey retires at 80, it being one of those seminal birthdays. Hopefully, he isn't waiting for a Rose Bowl.

With 3 more years of play by play under her belt, Kate should be ready.
Many of the things that Starkey leaves out are irrelevant if one is doing TV. Most people don't think about the call of The Play being incredibly horrible, because either it is played accompanied by a video clip, or played accompanied by the video we all have indelibly seared into our minds. Imagine sitting in our car listening live and trying to figure out what is going on. While it wasn't the easiest call to make, of all the calls of The Play, TV or radio, Starkey's is probably the worst at giving information (and there are definitely some calls that are MUCH better at giving information), so we can't just blame it on being a tough call to make.

While it is nice if the TV announcers tell me down and distance, and perhaps the names of the players involved, the picture on the screen and the graphics will let me know a lot of that stuff. "He's got a man!" The excited call that gives me no information is really OK if I can tell what is going on from the picture I'm watching. The incoherent call of The Play doesn't matter if I have a picture to watch. Starkey's inability to convey much of the information that a radio listener needs is a problem, if you are listening without a TV picture or the actual game in front of you (and these days, getting the TV picture or the actual game in sync with the radio is a problem).

Kate doing the ISU game tells me little about whether she'd be an improvement on Starkey in terms of conveying information, because TV play-by-play requires different skills than radio. You say that Kate should be ready with 3 more years of play by play under her belt, but I can only think, Starkey hasn't gotten ready for Cal radio play-by-play in 45 years on the job, what makes him think that Kate will be ready in 3 years not on the job and doing only occasional TV games? Maybe she would be ready, but unless and until we hear her do a radio game, we don't know if she has those skills. The good news is that it is highly improbable that she would be worse than Starkey.

I love Starkey, he's a great Bear. I just can't stand to listen to his play-by-play unless accompanied by live or video action.
wifeisafurd
okaydo said:

MugsVanSant said:

I think that should be extended to college football, too. I would be happy if the Pac-12 instituted a ban on any head football coach who hasn't played college football.
You guys don't get how that play by play guys are picked for most of the Pac. At least in the Pac, they generally are IMG employees, most of whom have degrees in journalism or broadcasting, if they even graduated, and at least for the Pac, never played college football. They had a fair amount of broadcast experience before being hired. Think guys like McKim. Most play by play guys for the Pac teams have been at the mike for some time, so there is going to be turnover in the near future. Oregon's play by play guy was at least a team manager. None of them are alums other than Arbogast (SC), and the Furd guy (masters degree). Want alums and football playing experience, look at the color commentators.
UrsaMajor
wifeisafurd said:

okaydo said:

MugsVanSant said:

You guys don't get how that play by play guys are picked for most of the Pac. At least in the Pac, they generally are IMG employees, most of whom have degrees in journalism or broadcasting, if they even graduated, and at least for the Pac, never played college football. They had a fair amount of broadcast experience before being hired. Think guys like McKim. Most play by play guys for the Pac teams have been at the mike for some time, so there is going to be turnover in the near future. Oregon's play by play guy was at least a team manager. None of them are alums other than Arbogast (SC), and the Furd guy (masters degree). Want alums and football playing experience, look at the color commentators.
Except that IMG no longer has the Cal rights (it's now Leerfield; and McKim is still with Cal).
Another Bear
I thought Todd McKim was an UC employee. Any way, I'm sure there's a way/clause for schools to get get certain broadcaster they like in the booth.
ColoradoBear
Another Bear said:

I thought Todd McKim was an UC employee. Any way, I'm sure there's a way/clause for schools to get get certain broadcaster they like in the booth.

Neither McKim or Starkey are in the UC employee salary database. Would also guess that Cal gets absolute approval over who Learfield puts in the booth. It would not be hard for one to move from IMG to Learfield upon the contract change if that's what Cal Athletics requested.
Go!Bears
MugsVanSant said:

I am afraid we may already be there.

Like many here, I suspect, I grew up with Joe's voice in my ears. I will miss him, but I already miss the way he was. Why not slide him into the pre and post-game role? If I hear one more YA Tittle story I think I will explode and I really don't care about Utah 50 years ago. At least Joe's reminiscences would be relevant.
heartofthebear
She'd need a good color person with her but I'm OK with the idea.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.