Strategy against Oregon

6,402 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearSD
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is clearly the best QB and skill players Cal will face this year so far, and their oline pushed the Furd around in the first half, but less so in the second half. Their defense seems surprisingly stout against the run (really good nose guard), but had problems against Furd's WRs. Not sure how Cal matches-up. How would you game plan these guys?
johngalenhoward
I would develop a passing game ASAP- that's how you beat them. Otherwise I can't say we're gonna match up well. We will need defense to play lights out and win it for us.
RonO
It would sure be easier if we had some big receivers/tight ends as the furd does. We need a good turnover edge.
Fyght4Cal
Defensively we need to generate pressure up front. Herbert is an impressive QB, but I believe he can be rattled by contact.

Offensively, they will load the box and challenge us to beat them through the air. Our QBs will need to be accurate and our receivers need to get open. Laird will have more success as a downfield receiver, than a runner.

Dancy and McIlwain will be tested as runners. If they can break tackles for positive yardage we have a chance at a ground game. If we can run, I think we will win.

Offensive miscues- penalties, turnovers etc- must be kept to a minimum. We have to take care of the ball and exploit our scoring chances. Could we come back from the same kind of deficit as Furd? Well, since they needed the help of the refs, I doubt it. PAC-12 officials tend to err in favor of the higher-ranked team.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
golden sloth
Offensively, I'd cycle McIlwain in a healthy amount (even though I like Garbers a lot), I believe he can use Oregon's speed and aggressiveness against them with the RPO's, some misdirection and delayed runs, as well as being able to take advantage of the additional blocker achieved by not handing the ball off. Utilize empty sets and the option a bit. Try to utilize Bunting, Ways and Duncan in the 6-10 yard passing game and wide receiver screen game (Oregon looked small in their defensive backfield, Cal should use their big receivers to block them out of the play), I don't think Cal will have time to set up for the long pass, and Oregon will press on the short passes.

Defensively, I'd go with a 3-3-5 look to try and get more speed on the field. I'd also mix coverages and blitzes while emphasizing taking risks to force turnovers as I think you'll need to force Oregon into mistakes. I'd also pressure the A-gap with linebacker blitzes and the nose guard, the center looked rather horrid last week and he touches the ball every play. I would apply max pressure to the center and try to force him into errant snaps or missed assignments.

Special teams, Oregon does not have faith in their kicker, which means expect them to go for 4th down conversions between the 20-50 yard line on Cal's side.

Emphasize ball security, Cal will not win without being a +2 in turnovers.
mikecohen
wifeisafurd said:

This is clearly the best QB and skill players Cal will face this year so far, and their oline pushed the Furd around in the first half, but less so in the second half. Their defense seems surprisingly stout against the run (really good nose guard), but had problems against Furd's WRs. Not sure how Cal matches-up. How would you game plan these guys?

Also against Furd's tight ends. Most all their most effective receivers are very tall (6'3" to 6'&"). Oregon's DBs: Not close
calumnus
Fyght4Cal said:

Defensively we need to generate pressure up front. Herbert is an impressive QB, but I believe he can be rattled by contact.

Offensively, they will load the box and challenge us to beat them through the air. Our QBs will need to be accurate and our receivers need to get open. Laird will have more success as a downfield receiver, than a runner.

Dancy and McIlwain will be tested as runners. If they can break tackles for positive yardage we have a chance at a ground game. If we can run, I think we will win.

Offensive miscues- penalties, turnovers etc- must be kept to a minimum. We have to take care of the ball and exploit our scoring chances. Could we come back from the same kind of deficit as Furd? Well, since they needed the help of the refs, I doubt it. PAC-12 officials tend to err in favor of the higher-ranked team.

Except when the lower ranked team is Stanford (their ref-enhanced upsets over SC, for example).
NYCGOBEARS
We shall need turnovers. Many turnovers.
Sonofoski
I think it was the right call on the Oregon TD that wasn't a TD. The ball carrier got into the end zone but the ball never did.
heartofthebear
wifeisafurd said:

Their WR Mitchell was just dominating the game in the first half.
We supposedly have a good secondary.
If they can limit or shut down Mitchell then I don't think they will be able to run much against Weaver and gang.

IOW, we have to keep the score low and within reach and then hope a turnover gives us the edge.
This was similar to the strategy last season and they blew us out.
I really don't think we are going to win any track meets with anyone, particularly Oregon.

We might be able to do some damage using our TEs though.
Another Bear
Defense Bears, Defense. Going to need turn overs and converting to scores. At least +3 take-aways.

Offense has to be reasonable productive, chew up clock, not turn over the ball.
KoreAmBear
golden sloth said:

Offensively, I'd cycle McIlwain in a healthy amount (even though I like Garbers a lot), I believe he can use Oregon's speed and aggressiveness against them with the RPO's, some misdirection and delayed runs, as well as being able to take advantage of the additional blocker achieved by not handing the ball off. Utilize empty sets and the option a bit. Try to utilize Bunting, Ways and Duncan in the 6-10 yard passing game and wide receiver screen game (Oregon looked small in their defensive backfield, Cal should use their big receivers to block them out of the play), I don't think Cal will have time to set up for the long pass, and Oregon will press on the short passes.

Defensively, I'd go with a 3-3-5 look to try and get more speed on the field. I'd also mix coverages and blitzes while emphasizing taking risks to force turnovers as I think you'll need to force Oregon into mistakes. I'd also pressure the A-gap with linebacker blitzes and the nose guard, the center looked rather horrid last week and he touches the ball every play. I would apply max pressure to the center and try to force him into errant snaps or missed assignments.

Special teams, Oregon does not have faith in their kicker, which means expect them to go for 4th down conversions between the 20-50 yard line on Cal's side.

Emphasize ball security, Cal will not win without being a +2 in turnovers.
I love posting up Bunting for 10-15 yard routes. I really wish Hudson would step up and catch the ball. That would help.
Cal89
Sonofoski said:

I think it was the right call on the Oregon TD that wasn't a TD. The ball carrier got into the end zone but the ball never did.
As much as I wanted that TD for the Ducks, that was the correct call. The spot at exactly the one though was bad, IMO. The ball was clearly well beyond the one yard line, and looked to be about a foot away from the goal line...
Sig test...
mikecohen
heartofthebear said:

wifeisafurd said:

If they can limit or shut down Mitchell then I don't think they will be able to run much against Weaver and gang.

IOW, we have to keep the score low and within reach and then hope a turnover gives us the edge.
I really don't think we are going to win any track meets with anyone, particularly Oregon.

Re their running, keep in mind their speed. I don't think we've seen so much of that so far.
wifeisafurd
mikecohen said:

heartofthebear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Re their running, keep in mind their speed. I don't think we've seen so much of that so far.
Other than maybe SC, this is the fastest team we will play. Udub and Furd the most physical.
JSC 76
Would you put Bynum on Mitchell, man to man, all day? Our best defender against their best WR?
northendbear
I think we should purchase some "Love Spells" and mix them in with the Oregon players' team meals.
By the time they arrive on Saturday, they will be so smitten with Cal football, they won't be able to block or tackle.

And - since we seem to have an inside connection on this board now to purchasing these Love Spells, I bet we can get a great rate and not impact things like the athletic department debt.

cubzwin
Game plan: Stay close and let Cristobal blow it with terrible coaching in the final 2 minutes.
Fyght4Cal
cubzwin said:

Game plan: Stay close and let Cristobal blow it with terrible coaching in the final 2 minutes.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking, this morning, that the game may come down to a coach's mistake. With a freshman vs sophomore coach it is highly likely.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
DiabloWags
I watched the entire Furd vs Oregon game and came away impressed with how well Oregon has been able to rebuild. They are very physical and a very FAST team. And Justin Herbert is about as good as they come in D-1.

Cant believe that the spread is only 3.
What am I missing?
Rushinbear
DiabloWags said:

I watched the entire Furd vs Oregon game and came away impressed with how well Oregon has been able to rebuild. They are very physical and a very FAST team. And Justin Herbert is about as good as they come in D-1.

Cant believe that the spread is only 3.
What am I missing?
Cal D, away game, memory of last year's broken collar bone, Cal DBs, UO DBs, overconfidence, anger-driven loss of concentration. I dunno. I thought it would come out -10. -3 says we have a decent chance.
calgo430
good defense wins football games. win the turnover battle helps.
NYCGOBEARS
Punch em right in the quacker.
tequila4kapp
Their speed is going to be the biggest problem for us. On D I expect we will see more zone, trying to keep the ball in front of us, and the DE's have to control the edges and not let runners get outside them. Offense ... this is why Baldwin gets paid. No WR's or running game to speak of and less speed...ugh, that could be a real problem area. I think we have to find a way - any way - to possess the ball as long as possible. Maybe that means the TEs, more QB runs or different sets we haven't shown yet.
Oski87
Fyght4Cal said:

cubzwin said:

Funny you should say that. I was thinking, this morning, that the game may come down to a coach's mistake. With a freshman vs sophomore coach it is highly likely.
Cristobal has a history of totally screwing up his coaching gigs. One of the worst coaches in history for the talent and gifts he has been given.
72CalBear
Take two and hit to right.
going4roses
Oski87 said:

Fyght4Cal said:

cubzwin said:

Cristobal has a history of totally screwing up his coaching gigs. One of the worst coaches in history for the talent and gifts he has been given.
he coached at bama and learned from the best ... i think we have to wait and see

one thing is for sure they have stockpiled talent.
bear2034
Kick their asses and punch em in the mouth.
Another Bear
The way I heard it...punch them in the throat and steal their women.
Cal88
KenBurnski
"It's smiling at me."
- The Old Man in 'A Christmas Story'
BearSD
cubzwin said:

The best way to do that is for the Bears offense to keep making first downs and to not turn the ball over. Give Herbert as few possessions as possible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.