Ole miss game

8,354 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GivemTheAxe
wifeisafurd
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the consensus of where to stay, etc. Rumors are your better off staying in Memphis. If Memphis, any thoughts on what to do with one's wife there (Graceland?) and where to say? What about golf courses for those who hit the little white ball? Do regionals fly into Oxford? I assume one goes to The Grove game day, and there is not much else to do (not that I'm complaining since apparently The Grove is quite happening)? Thoughts?
Bear8
Having contact with beautiful drunken women would be one thing you could do. LOL I think it's a show, an entertainment that is what Oxford and the Hedges is all about. But, you have a good point. Where do we play golf?
Oski87
Graceland is interesting for a few minutes. Quite sad actually. Looks like your grandparents home on a more grand scale - plastic over the furniture, etc. The is some good music in Memphis and food. in fact historical music venues all around there. We went there when Cal played Tennessee. Had a good time. I would also check out Nashville. Rent a car from Nashville, and maybe leave back out of Memphis? Good music scene in Nashville as well.

It is about 80 miles away from Oxford. I wonder how long that takes on game day...

You could also drive south after and leave from New Orleans. That is about a 5 hour drive.

75bear
I'm not an Elvis Presley fan at all, but when I visited Graceland about 6 years ago I thought it was one of the coolest places I've been. Almost everything is exactly as it was when Elvis passed away, and I could picture him and the celebrities of his day living it up in that unique and baller house. It's not big square footage wise, but it's certainly colorful.

I liken Graceland to Alcatraz - they are both touristy, but they are both touristy sites well worth visiting.
Bear8
Wiki indicates 85 miles from Memphis to Oxford when there is light traffic. I saw Nashville hotels advertising on the Memphis site when they're 214 miles away. Very strange. I think we are going to be stuck at some lesser hotel in or near Oxford. It will be like staying somewhere on University Ave. in Berkeley.
Big C
What about at the Grove? That's where folks have had prime real estate reserved for generations, right. Is there a visitor section of the Grove? Do we start there, set up camp and then walk around and mingle with the Mississippians?

As far as what to do with one's wife in Memphis, geez, it all depends on whose wife, no? I'm thinking of a few things I'd like to do with my wife in Memphis, but they may not be applicable to your situation, wife, etc.
socaliganbear
Our group is staying in Memphis Thu-Sun.
kjkbear
The P*****y. Close to Beale Street, and I still think the ducks are cool. If you saw the movie "The Firm," you saw the P*****y. It's like staying at the Driskill in the 1980s in Austin TX.
kjkbear
What the heck is this, the p*****y is a hotel. Why is it being xxd out?? P-E-A-B-O-D-Y
kjkbear
The politically correct spellcheck is worse than Dave Roberts 71 IQ and his analytics garbage. Roberts would have put Ruth and Gehrig on the bench against a lefty.
Bobodeluxe
Politically correct? Right.
wifeisafurd
Big C said:

What about at the Grove? That's where folks have had prime real estate reserved for generations, right. Is there a visitor section of the Grove? Do we start there, set up camp and then walk around and mingle with the Mississippians?

As far as what to do with one's wife in Memphis, geez, it all depends on whose wife, no? I'm thinking of a few things I'd like to do with my wife in Memphis, but they may not be applicable to your situation, wife, etc.
My understanding is you walk through in your team colors and your invited to join tailgates and given southern hospitality (and lots of good tasting food that will give you heart disease). The Ole Miss folks I talked to at Memorial last year said the rooms in the good local hotels are spoken for on game day for decades, and that boozing in The Grove has become more tame with the times (notwithstanding the cute tipsy coed in the viral TAMU video).
Yogi58
kjkbear said:

The P*****y. Close to Beale Street, and I still think the ducks are cool. If you saw the movie "The Firm," you saw the P*****y. It's like staying at the Driskill in the 1980s in Austin TX.
When you're a celebrity, you just grab them by the P*****y and they let you do it.
BearMDJD
Alright who is setting up the Bearinsider Memphis shuttle to and from Oxford on game day?
touchdownbears43
Planning on flying into Memphis (maybe stay a day) and rent a car for the 1.5hr drive to Oxford. Plan to full enjoy The Grove on the morning of!
Big C
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

My understanding is you walk through in your team colors and your invited to join tailgates and given southern hospitality (and lots of good tasting food that will give you heart disease). The Ole Miss folks I talked to at Memorial last year said the rooms in the good local hotels are spoken for on game day for decades, and that boozing in The Grove has become more tame with the times (notwithstanding the cute tipsy coed in the viral TAMU video).
That sounds awesome! I'm guessing it's a little different when they're playing Mississippi State or Alabama, right?
Tedhead94
On the golf side of the question there is TPC Southwind where the PGA event is held. But I would prefer Mirimichi over the TPC. Both are nice though.

If you have the means, Memphis Country Club (near the University and used to be their home course - not sure anymore) is nice. Colonial Country Club (not the Texas/Ben Hogan one) is also really nice is just outside of town.
Valleyblue
wifeisafurd said:

Big C said:

Several weeks ago I ran into a woman in the grocery store who was wearing an Oxford t-shirt. She gave me a couple of hotel recommendations in Oxford. I went to the websites and they were already booked. She recommended waiting no longer than January to book as it's almost impossible to get a room during football season.

Another poster asked about regional airlines flying into Oxford. From the little research I did, if I remember correctly, there is only one airline that flies into Oxford and only one flight per week (Friday, I think) and it only flies from Atlanta. Bottom line is that you fly into Memphis and drive the two hours. From what I see, there's not much to do in Oxford and given the hotel situation, our plans at this point are to stay in Memphis and just drive to Oxford for the game.
OldenBear
Not that I'm the source, but ......
- have some acquaintances, thru work, that are based in Memphis. Some are Ole Miss grads, some Mississippi State. They're all dying to have me out there.
- It is very hospitable. From what I can tell, even natural rivals i.e. Ole Miss and MSU fans, if they know each other, get invited to each other's tailgates. Visitors from far away (like, you know, the hippies from Berkeley) will be shown the finest of Southern hospitality. Expect, though, some ribbing (I plan on wearing Jeff Tedford tie-dye, and maybe a Dr. Seuss blue and gold hat).
- You can in fact hire companies to set up your own tent and tailgate. One fee and your group is ready to go
(anyone on BearInsider interested? The cost is pretty reasonable, and although I don't have details I'm sure I can scare some up. I think it would be great to have a traveling BI contingent there to represent). I think you're kept off the tailgating areas until a rope drops (6 pm the previous evening??), sort of like the Oklahoma land rush.
- I've been to Oxford and Memphis. I'd bet most of the Oxford lodgings are booked for game day weekends, probably months ahead. But Memphis isn't my cup of tea - been there a couple of times, once for a very, very disappointing Memphis in May BBQ festival (imagine a barbeque event with no sampling). Not an Elvis fan, either. But it's the closest major airport to fly into.

If there's interest, I'm happy to ask these guys for further info. Lots available on the web, too.

calumnus
calumnus
Memphis

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/southbound-articles/walking-in-memphis/?fbclid=IwAR3SwNmXpp6Zw0I6U8FY5MeGA-xSXd7TXEmeOk4YeZBbsSDrg7fqHvpJT1o
BearInTennisShoes
I just wanted to revive this thread and see if anyone has put any more thought to the Ole Miss weekend.

Our group is probably going to stay Friday night in Memphis, drive to Oxford on Saturday morning, and stay at an Airbnb in Oxford on Saturday night. Hotels in Oxford have been booked for months, and there's slim pickins on Airbnb (although we found a place).

Are other people staying in or around Oxford, or planning on going back to Memphis after the game?
BearMDJD
I ended up booking the Courtyard Marriott in Oxford for convenience although expensive. Not sure if it is still available.

I'm definitely interested in doing a tailgate tent or hiring someone to help set it up. Let me know if others are interested.
Bear8
OK. Well, we will be staying at Graceland Hotel along with WIAF and Mrs. WIAF. We should also try to do something in Memphis before leaving for Oxford. I've been to Beale Street and had a blast going to various clubs and listening to jazz. I had BBQ and it was top notch.

I'm also interested in BearMDJD's idea of a shuttle for tired, drunken Bears going up and back to Memphis. Likewise, Olden Bear had a great idea of setting up our own tailgate and invite some Rebs to join us. Any interest in these ideas?
Cal_79
Bear8 said:

OK. Well, we will be staying at Graceland Hotel along with WIAF and Mrs. WIAF. We should also try to do something in Memphis before leaving for Oxford. I've been to Beale Street and had a blast going to various clubs and listening to jazz. I had BBQ and it was top notch.

I'm also interested in BearMDJD's idea of a shuttle for tired, drunken Bears going up and back to Memphis. Likewise, Olden Bear had a great idea of setting up our own tailgate and invite some Rebs to join us. Any interest in these ideas?

The allure of visiting Ole Miss is wandering through The Grove and partaking in the generous Southern hospitality... No interest in a Cal-centric tailgate and missing out on the local flavors.
Strykur
Is everything completely totally booked in Oxford? May not decide until the summer to pull the trigger, worst case scenario I drive from Nashville since Memphis is getting a bad rap here.
Aussie Bear
I second, third, whatever, the Memphis shuttle idea.
adujan
A group of us are planning on going and there are a few options under consideration:

Flights -
Most are flying to Memphis and driving from there. The drive is manageable and Memphis is a cool town for a meal and music. There are some who want to see Nashville and are making a longer weekend out of it, but for those of us who want a quick weekend trip, Memphis is the preferred option.

Lodging -
Our entire group is staying in Oxford, but there are splits in the plan. One group is going the house route on Air BnB or VRBO. The options are limited currently and expensive, but good for a house party option for Friday night (with trips to the bars planned on Saturday night).

The other group within the group is going hotel. Room rates are sky high ($800 for a Hilton in Oxford). I booked a room at the Hampton Inn (or Hilton Garden Inn) 15 miles away, but at a reasonable room rate.

Should be fun.
wifeisafurd
Bear8 said:

Looks like Cal will have a tailgate tent in The Grove, but the view is that it will be a place Rebel fans check out mostly, as is the tradition. They will be expecting California cuisine, so look for a lot of avocados. Cal fans may stop in for a bit, while going to Ole Miss tailgaters. Their tradition is they invite visiting fans to stop by and enjoy home made food and some beverage. No guarantee the cute girls from the TAMU viral video will show.
wifeisafurd
Aussie Bear said:

I second, third, whatever, the Memphis shuttle idea.
Bus charter?
wifeisafurd
Cal_79 said:

Bear8 said:

The allure of visiting Ole Miss is wandering through The Grove and partaking in the generous Southern hospitality... No interest in a Cal-centric tailgate and missing out on the local flavors.
TAMU and other schools put a tent in the Grove and bring their own cuisine for the Ole Miss fans to visit and sampler. Apparently, this isn't like going to Fund where there are separate Furd and Cal tailgates. Particularly with out of conference games, everyone gets together.
Bear8
If enough people are interested, we need to reserve a shuttle between Memphis and Oxford. And, we should do this within the next month or so. Do you think a bus carrying a max of 20-25 is the proper size? Can you imagine the fun we will all have singing, laughing and just talking for 85 miles?
BearInTennisShoes
I think the shuttle or bus to/from Memphis is a great idea, and my group (4) would definitely be interested. Sounds like others here would be interested too.
socaliganbear
The AD should be organizing this shuttle for us tbh, but I digress..
TomBear
We'll be flying into Nashville and that will be our base of operations. Our plans include some extra days because, like many others, we're looking at the possibility of leaving California to live where we don't have to deal with the loonies who run this state, and Nashville and Chattanooga have some attraction to us. I called the Athletic Department a few times before we booked flights etc. hoping there was some sort of organized trip for the game and there is none, which is too bad. As for accommodations, we're staying at a timeshare so we're set up pretty well.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.