Wide Receiver Health Update

7,191 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by heartofthebear
txwharfrat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do we have one? Will we get one? Or will we find out on Saturday that Ways and Remigio are our starting WR's? It seems like:

Noa: could be week to week maybe?

Wharton: sure looked banged up and limping the entire 4th quarter against the toe jams

Duncan: how is he recovering from hand surgery (was that it?)?

Do we know anything for sure? Has Duncan been declared out for the year?
HighlandDutch
And does anyone know why Wharton sat out the first half...was it his injury, or some other reason?
hanky1
I believe we started the walk-on Walker this past Saturday?
Rushinbear
txwharfrat said:

Do we have one? Will we get one? Or will we find out on Saturday that Ways and Remigio are our starting WR's? It seems like:

Noa: could be week to week maybe?

Wharton: sure looked banged up and limping the entire 4th quarter against the toe jams

Duncan: how is he recovering from hand surgery (was that it?)?

Do we know anything for sure? Has Duncan been declared out for the year?
Can we, fer cryin' out loud, slide McI in there...where he belongs? For the good of the team?
Cal88
He's the backup QB right now, you have to have someone with experience at the position ready to go should Garbers get banged up.
CRBear
Cal88 said:

He's the backup QB right now, you have to have someone with experience at the position ready to go if the need arises,
You're right. An inexperienced backup QB might turn the ball over a lot.
Rushinbear
Cal88 said:

He's the backup QB right now, you have to have someone with experience at the position ready to go should Garbers get banged up.
Well, unless McI is banged up playing wr, you put him back in at qb, should Garbers get dinged. It's not like he would have forgotten all he learned in a matter of a game or two. Aaaaaaaand, you've got Forrest. He'd give you every ounce he had. This is the kind of bridge you would cross when you came to it. Right now, we've got what? 2 schollie wr's? Three?
bear2034
Mcllwain at slot WR, Big Game debut.

Bobodeluxe
The coaches should consider recruiting ball catchers and carriers. Just because Sonny did it doesn't mean it was wrong.
packawana
I can't tell if this is serious or not
calfan2010
He only sat out the first quarter and was in on Cal's first offensive series of the second quarter. Wilcox said in post-game Q&A with reporters that it was a coaches decision between him and Vic and that they've worked it out. Sounds like some kind of disciplinary issue.
Rushinbear
packawana said:

Dead serious. Been saying it for months.
burritos
Drew Bennett at UCLA was a QB before he turned WR. He had a substantive career in the NFL as WR too.
71Bear
burritos said:

Drew Bennett at UCLA was a QB before he turned WR. He had a substantive career in the NFL as WR too.
Gene Washington - Stanford. He was an All-Pro receiver with SF.
upsetof86
Rushinbear said:

packawana said:

Dead serious. Been saying it for months.

+100
Bear8
Ryan Tannahill was an outstanding receiver at Texas A&M before being drafted by the Dolphins and becoming their starting QB for the last several years.
Robocheme
Braxton Miller of OSU went from successful QB to wide receiver and onto the NFL (Eagles
tim94501
Look at David sills. Kid committed to SC as a qb at 12 and is one of the best WR in the country at West Virginia now.
UrsusTexicanus
I brought this up in another thread. Our own Brian Bedford from the mid 80's, transitioned from QB to a very good WR.
CalGrad95
Hines Ward played QB at Georgia before becoming a HOF caliber WR with the Steelers.
upsetof86
CalGrad95 said:

Hines Ward played QB at Georgia before becoming a HOF caliber WR with the Steelers.

28 former college qbs converted to wr in the NFL. Safe to assume they could have succeeded at the college level with that switch as well.
TheSouseFamily
We saw one earlier this year in Anthony Ratliff'-Williams of UNC. Similar profile, size and offer quality in HS as BMac. He turned into a first team All-ACC WR and likely draft pick. I'm all in favor of moving BMac to WR to get his athleticism and olaymakng on the field but definitely not mid-season. If that's gonna happen, save it for the off season.
HungryCalBear
I hope coaches put in Ashtyn Davis for a few simple plays against Furd. He has good speed and good hands, can stretch the field, adding element of surprise. Seriously - practice it this week coach!
burritos
Would a fly sweep to BM be such a bad play call?
KenBurnski
If he continues swinging the ball wide from his body as he runs, yes. It's a terrible habit and he does it frequently. The wr thing is kinda intriguing except we have no clue if he can catch a pass.
burritos
KenBurnski said:

If he continues swinging the ball wide from his body as he runs, yes. It's a terrible habit and he does it frequently. The wr thing is kinda intriguing except we have no clue if he can catch a pass.
You're right, even if he can catch a pass, he can still fumble it. That said, Garbers fumbled it too, but a win washes away all sins.
Econ141
Rushinbear said:

Cal88 said:

Well, unless McI is banged up playing wr, you put him back in at qb, should Garbers get dinged. It's not like he would have forgotten all he learned in a matter of a game or two. Aaaaaaaand, you've got Forrest. He'd give you every ounce he had. This is the kind of bridge you would cross when you came to it. Right now, we've got what? 2 schollie wr's? Three?

The guy can't hang on to the ball when it is handed to him, what makes us all think he can catch it let alone hang on to it when the frequency of high speed collisions will be much larger as a wide receiver?
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
YamhillBear
KenBurnski said:

...or hold on to it if he catches it. Changing his position is certainly something to consider, but it isn't something to be done in five days. I think all those other examples were longer term changes.

Having said that, I would definitely love to see Ashtyn Davis in at wr on occasion...
calumnus
HungryCalBear said:

I hope coaches put in Ashtyn Davis for a few simple plays against Furd. He has good speed and good hands, can stretch the field, adding element of surprise. Seriously - practice it this week coach!

2017 Cal track team 100 meter times:
Demetris Robertson 10.77
Ashtyn Davis 10.72

Davis was originally a WR. He said last week he is still learning the safety position. He also said no one has discussed his taking any reps at WR.
PtownBear1
Terrell Pryor had a 1000 yard receiving season in the NFL after he switched.
tc3590
For what it's worth, Jordan Duncan said on his Instagram story the other day that he is back this week. That could be a huge help.
IssyBear
calumnus said:

HungryCalBear said:

2017 Cal track team 100 meter times:
Demetris Robertson 10.77
Ashtyn Davis 10.72

Davis was originally a WR. He said last week he is still learning the safety position. He also said no one has discussed his taking any reps at WR.
I love his speed and grit and he does return kick-offs, but he has dropped two key interceptions in the last 3 weeks.
AunBear89
burritos said:

Sounds really tempting, but I can't see any defense seeing the Bears line up with Brandon out wide and not keying on a sweep. You'd have to set it up with other plays out of same formation. Not worth the necessary practice reps to insert in the game plan.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
JSC 76
HungryCalBear said:

I love Ashtyn Davis, but he's dropped 2 interceptions in the past 3 weeks. He epitomizes the adage "if he had good hands he'd be playing Offense."
Rushinbear
AunBear89 said:

burritos said:

Sounds really tempting, but I can't see any defense seeing the Bears line up with Brandon out wide and not keying on a sweep. You'd have to set it up with other plays out of same formation. Not worth the necessary practice reps to insert in the game plan.
Simple instruction for now: "Go long. If the db has inside leverage, go for the corner. If outside, go for the post." After 2 fly routes, "Curl. In, if outside leverage. Out, if inside." That's all you can ask for at this stage, but at least they'd have to honor it, thereby loosening up the other wr's a little.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.