Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Kuony Deng
Cal Football

Deng Brings Star Power With Commitment to Cal

November 23, 2018

The Bears picked up a big commitment this evening with the addition of 6-6/235 Independence CC (Independence, Kansas) outside linebacker Kuony Deng.

The 4 star OLB will bring an instant edge rush threat to the Top 15 Cal defense next season.

“Kuony’s skillset is multiple because of his athletic ability and high football IQ,” said Independence CC defensive coordinator Jason Martin. “He can be on the field vs. Oregon because of his speed or he can be on the field against Stanford, to help stop power football.  On top of athletic ability, he is a student of the game that is coachable.  I expect Kuony to continue being a productive leader on and off the field.

“Kuony is a natural leader because he naturally is the same guy everyday. He’s a reliable individual that demands respect because of his constant positive actions.”

“Kuony is a heck of a player,” said assistant defensive line coach Jake Bugg. “He’s one of the smartest players I’ve been around  who can easily read defenses and understand what they are trying to do against us. He’s physical, fast, has good hands and has the “IT” factor to take over games on the defensive side of the ball. Cal is getting the top LB in JUCO.”

The Bears are getting more than a highly-talented athlete in Deng but one that can potentially spur his future defensive teammates towards bigger things by work ethic and leadership.

“Kuony is a lead by example, do the right things kind of player, both on and off the field,” said Bugg. “Players follow him because of that. He’s a guy our younger kids have looked up to and watch because his work ethic is the kind of work ethic you want all your players to have and they see that the success he’s had is because of the hard work he’s put in.

“I expect Kuony to become an All American at Cal. The potential is there for him to be one of the best defensive players to play for Cal in a long time. He’s going to be a guy Cal can count on every game to make plays and help them win.”

At John Champe High School in Aldie, VA, Deng played wide receiver and outside linebacker and was named the conference Player of the Year after helping team to a 10-0 season in 2015. Deng also played four years of basketball, averaging 19.2 points per game and was named first team all-state and conference Player of the Year.

Deng received his release after playing one year at VMI in 2016 as well as one basketball game before deciding to ask for his release from VMI.

The Bears beat out a host of tough competition for Deng’s services, including LSU, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Texas, UCLA, Oregon and more.

At Indepence CC, Deng compiled 48 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and six pass breakups in 10 games.

The top-rated JC linebacker in the nation will sign with Cal in December and enroll as an early entrant in January.

Discussion from...

Deng Brings Star Power With Commitment to Cal

30,499 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 01Bear
Sebastabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Outstanding get. Welcome. Any chance he can play for us tomorrow? I keed, I keed . . . mostly.
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
ducky23
From the Vatech board---
Quote:

PHudVT16 said... (original post)
Wrote him off as soon as Cal offered. Best non-Ivy league school in the country unless you're going to MIT for Engineering.
SEIKOH said...

"Absolute nonsense. The Cal faculty, Board of Trustees and major boosters are the most anti-American in the Nation. In a different era, the whole lot would either be incarcerated or shot...
Cal is a sinister University, run by people that will not hesitate for a second to obliterate you, your family and everything you believe in as an American. There is no University in the US that even comes remotely close to being as diabolically anti-American. Cal-Berkeley is an abomination and an absolute disgrace to the United States. Every single person associated with Cal-Berkeley should be monitored 24/7, for the rest of their lives......."

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Board/59428/Contents/DENG-125152650/?Page=4

-----------------------------------------
HAHA! that's right biotches, first we take your football players, next, your country!

Sebastabear
ducky23 said:

From the Vatech board---
Quote:

Wrote him off as soon as Cal offered. Best non-Ivy league school in the country unless you're going to MIT for Engineering.
SEIKOH said...

"Absolute nonsense. The Cal faculty, Board of Trustees and major boosters are the most anti-American in the Nation. In a different era, the whole lot would either be incarcerated or shot...
Cal is a sinister University, run by people that will not hesitate for a second to obliterate you, your family and everything you believe in as an American. There is no University in the US that even comes remotely close to being as diabolically anti-American. Cal-Berkeley is an abomination and an absolute disgrace to the United States. Every single person associated with Cal-Berkeley should be monitored 24/7, for the rest of their lives......."

https://247sports.com/college/virginia-tech/Board/59428/Contents/DENG-125152650/?Page=4

HAHA! that's right biotches, first we take your football players, next, your country!

At least they seem to be taking the loss well.
Cal Strong!
Deng make STRONG decision . . . like Cal! Cal not weak . . . Cal STRONG!
socaliganbear
ducky23 said:

From the Vatech board---
Quote:

SEIKOH said...

Ok, that's funny.
510 Bear
ducky23 said:

This kinda thing happened a little when we were good under Tedford and will probably happen even more during these polarized times if we get good under Wilcox. Let's just say there are certain fans, primarily in SEC and Big 12 country, who really, really don't like the idea of those commies from Berkeley having a good college football team.

(Which is fine by me. Let them stew.)
NYCGOBEARS
510 Bear said:

ducky23 said:

This kinda thing happened a little when we were good under Tedford and will probably happen even more during these polarized times if we get good under Wilcox. Let's just say there are certain fans, primarily in SEC and Big 12 country, who really, really don't like the idea of those commies from Berkeley having a good college football team.

(Which is fine by me. Let them stew.)

Yup, and ironically, the school that was the steward of and primary developer of this nation's nuclear weapons arsenal since it's inception. What have those guys contributed to this country's defense other than some dead confederate soldiers?
CALiforniALUM
Richmondbear2 said:

I'm assuming it was a redshirt because he couldn't have played JC as a Junior?
I think a player's athletic eligibility timeline and academic status progress separately.
59bear
tydog said:

Hell yes! D is going to be stacked next year.
At linebacker anyway. This class is beginning to remind me of the early Harbaugh years at LSJU when it seemed half the class was composed off TEs.
socaliganbear
Lol at Ivy engineering schools.
MoragaBear
Staff
Some nice quotes from his coach added to the story:

"Kuony is a heck of a player," said assistant defensive line coach Jake Bugg. "He's one of the smartest players I've been around who can easily read defenses and understand what they are trying to do against us. He's physical, fast, has good hands and has the "IT" factor to take over games on the defensive side of the ball. Cal is getting the top LB in JUCO."

The Bears are getting more than a highly-talented athlete in Deng but one that can potentially spur his future defensive teammates towards bigger things by work ethic and leadership.

"Kuony is a lead by example, do the right things kind of player, both on and off the field," said Bugg. "Players follow him because of that. He's a guy our younger kids have looked up to and watch because his work ethic is the kind of work ethic you want all your players to have and they see that the success he's had is because of the hard work he's put in.

"I expect Kuony to become an All American at Cal. The potential is there for him to be one of the best defensive players to play for Cal in a long time. He's going to be a guy Cal can count on every game to make plays and help them win."
MoragaBear
Staff
59bear said:

tydog said:

Hell yes! D is going to be stacked next year.
At linebacker anyway. This class is beginning to remind me of the early Harbaugh years at LSJU when it seemed half the class was composed off TEs.
Just so everyone knows, we have a posting glitch that is sometimes attributing posts to mods here who didn't make the original posts. That was not my post that was quoted above.

If you look back at post 1 in the thread, it was from tydog, not me.

KenBurnski
Lol. I just thought you were unusually excited by the recruits.
MoragaBear
Staff
KenBurnski said:

Lol. I just thought you were unusually excited by the recruits.
Ha, even if I was, it would be completely inappropriate for me to say something like that
VolunteerReverie
Good Lord. 6'6" 235? At linebacker?

Be afraid, be very afraid.
burritos
Size matters. Kind of reminds of Chris McCain. he was the most under the radar player of that family that came to Cal. When he added college physique to his frame, he was bestial at Cal.
NYCGOBEARS
VolunteerReverie said:

Good Lord. 6'6" 235? At linebacker?

Be afraid, be very afraid.

And 4.59 Forty.
GBear
Agree on the McCain comparison though he seems to have more weight and appears more fluid/ able to get low to me
GoCalBears
I'm glad Cal picked up an awesome JUCO player. We should be doing more of that as we had great success.

Tedford went JUCO hunting for a TE and picked up an unknown talent at QB.

CJ was another fantastic JUCO.
01Bear
CALiforniALUM said:

Richmondbear2 said:

I'm assuming it was a redshirt because he couldn't have played JC as a Junior?
I think a player's athletic eligibility timeline and academic status progress separately.

I may be mistaken, but I believe an athlete's eligibility begins to run from the moment he is enrolled in a post-secondary school. The only issue becomes whether he burns a redshirt year (or in the more rare case, a medical redshirt year on top of the normal redshirt year). In any case, he would have five years to play a maximum of four years of varsity sports.

As for academic progression, assuming standard courseloads with no AP/IB credit and passing all classes, the student-athletes should also be on pace to graduate in four to five years.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.