Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Kuony Deng
Cal Football

Deng Brings Star Power With Commitment to Cal

November 23, 2018

The Bears picked up a big commitment this evening with the addition of 6-6/235 Independence CC (Independence, Kansas) outside linebacker Kuony Deng.

The 4 star OLB will bring an instant edge rush threat to the Top 15 Cal defense next season.

“Kuony’s skillset is multiple because of his athletic ability and high football IQ,” said Independence CC defensive coordinator Jason Martin. “He can be on the field vs. Oregon because of his speed or he can be on the field against Stanford, to help stop power football.  On top of athletic ability, he is a student of the game that is coachable.  I expect Kuony to continue being a productive leader on and off the field.

“Kuony is a natural leader because he naturally is the same guy everyday. He’s a reliable individual that demands respect because of his constant positive actions.”

“Kuony is a heck of a player,” said assistant defensive line coach Jake Bugg. “He’s one of the smartest players I’ve been around  who can easily read defenses and understand what they are trying to do against us. He’s physical, fast, has good hands and has the “IT” factor to take over games on the defensive side of the ball. Cal is getting the top LB in JUCO.”

The Bears are getting more than a highly-talented athlete in Deng but one that can potentially spur his future defensive teammates towards bigger things by work ethic and leadership.

“Kuony is a lead by example, do the right things kind of player, both on and off the field,” said Bugg. “Players follow him because of that. He’s a guy our younger kids have looked up to and watch because his work ethic is the kind of work ethic you want all your players to have and they see that the success he’s had is because of the hard work he’s put in.

“I expect Kuony to become an All American at Cal. The potential is there for him to be one of the best defensive players to play for Cal in a long time. He’s going to be a guy Cal can count on every game to make plays and help them win.”

At John Champe High School in Aldie, VA, Deng played wide receiver and outside linebacker and was named the conference Player of the Year after helping team to a 10-0 season in 2015. Deng also played four years of basketball, averaging 19.2 points per game and was named first team all-state and conference Player of the Year.

Deng received his release after playing one year at VMI in 2016 as well as one basketball game before deciding to ask for his release from VMI.

The Bears beat out a host of tough competition for Deng’s services, including LSU, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Texas, UCLA, Oregon and more.

At Indepence CC, Deng compiled 48 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and six pass breakups in 10 games.

The top-rated JC linebacker in the nation will sign with Cal in December and enroll as an early entrant in January.

Discussion from...

Deng Brings Star Power With Commitment to Cal

30,313 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 01Bear
tydog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hell yes! D is going to be stacked next year.
upsetof86
This is great, truly. First things first and stacking high talent in the front 7 on D is a must. The rest will come.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
His "measureables" sounds like he's another Chris McCain. Hopefully without the attitude.
NYCGOBEARS
This kid is gonna be a terror for opposing teams.
cal83dls79
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

His "measureables" sounds like he's another Chris McCain. Hopefully without the attitude.
agreed. Although I think McCain was light at cal, maybe 205 wet. He put on lbs once in the pros..but it's sad to see he can't stay out of trouble
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Another Bear
Nice, Cal got an edge rusher. Hope he's ready because Cal needs him. Imagine if Cal had a true edge rusher this season. Good stuff.
NYCGOBEARS
He's more like the one who got away to Fucla. What's his face.
TouchedTheAxeIn82
NYCGOBEARS said:

Tak?
NYCGOBEARS
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Tak?

Yeah.
Richmondbear2
How many years does he have?
71Bear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Brad Bowers......
Another Bear
Richmondbear2 said:

I looked but couldn't tell. He was VMI and then a JC. Is VMI considered a prep school, thus not burning a year?

Anyway, he's the No. 1 JuCo LB. Really nice get,.
NYCGOBEARS
3 to play 2
71Bear
Another Bear said:

Richmondbear2 said:

I looked but couldn't tell. He was VMI and then a JC. Is VMI considered a prep school, thus not burning a year?

VMI is an FCS college. He played 11 games as a freshman and 2 as a sophomore. He transferred to a JC and played one season there.
cal83dls79
Another Bear said:

Richmondbear2 said:

vmi is d1 in the southern conference
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Richmondbear2
So he has 2 to play 2 if he redshirted the year he played 2 games
71Bear
Richmondbear2 said:

So he has 2 to play 2 if he redshirted the year he played 2 games
Which assumes that he was injured that season and received a medical redshirt. The redshirt rule allowing guys to play in up to four games without utilizing a year of eligibility took effective this season.
82gradDLSdad
Man, if Goode comes back 100% and this guy can perform against D1 tackles we are going to have a great pass rush off the edge.
75bear
Wow - Deng's offer list is impressive. It's a lot of the top programs in the country. This is further proof that our defensive staff is the real deal (we already knew this, but good to know everyone else is taking notice as well!).
TheSouseFamily
liverflukes
NYCGOBEARS
liverflukes said:

Ohhhh... damn. He's back!
Shoreline
Independence CC is where Netflix's Last Chance U took place last season. The show stayed there for the new season so he should be on it.
CAL4LIFE
71Bear said:

TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Brad Bowers......

Duane Clemons would be a better comparison from an athlete standpoint.
liverflukes
Deng right I am NYC...
NYCGOBEARS
liverflukes said:

Deng right I am NYC...

Couldn't be happier. I missed you.
calgldnbear
liverflukes said:

Deng right I am NYC...

Flukes !!!???

Still pouring the drinks for all of us ???
tim94501
Love it... now if we can just recruit a couple fast wr and an OC LOL
calbear80
Great News! I love it.

Go Bears!
heartofthebear
This is starting to feel like an actual football program with a culture and an identity that attracts sought after recruits. However, I am a bit torn because it would also be great if he were going to play WR as we need those a bit more than LBs at this point.

And it's kind of ironic because the opposite was happening in Berkeley about 3 years ago and I was saying the opposite.
71Bear
heartofthebear said:

This is starting to feel like an actual football program with a culture and an identity that attracts sought after recruits. However, I am a bit torn because it would also be great if he were going to play WR as we need those a bit more than LBs at this point.

And it's kind of ironic because the opposite was happening in Berkeley about 3 years ago and I was saying the opposite.
I prefer the Stanford approach...

Find the best athletes available and put them at positions at which they will have the most impact.
Richmondbear2
I'm assuming it was a redshirt because he couldn't have played JC as a Junior?
82gradDLSdad
heartofthebear said:

At the risk of 'losing' another one to you tonight I'd say it feels like it did, with respect to recruiting, under Sonny: heavy on one side of the ball. Still good, but not good enough. We need some playmakers on offense.
Another Bear
Agree, definitely need to get offensive talent. It is starting to look lopsided. But Cal is getting quality recruits, like Deng. There's an article 247 sports about Deng, to paraphrase him, "Cal is a rising program", explaining in part why he choose Cal (relatives in the area, #1 public U, etc.) The operative word is "rising".

Cal is rising and recruits know, what school presents opportunity and the chance to play. So this gives me hope Cal can land some good recruits for offense. A rising program can be a savvy choice, and savvy and smart players make savvy decisions. Deng looks like a smart guy. He's a great pickup, maybe Cal can pick up some juco WRs. One would help a lot.
upsetof86
Another Bear said:

Agree, definitely need to get offensive talent. It is starting to look lopsided. But Cal is getting quality recruits, like Deng. There's an article 247 sports about Deng, to paraphrase him, "Cal is a rising program", explaining in part why he choose Cal (relatives in the area, #1 public U, etc.) The operative word is "rising".

Cal is rising and recruits know, what school presents opportunity and the chance to play. So this gives me hope Cal can land some good recruits for offense. A rising program can be a savvy choice, and savvy and smart players make savvy decisions. Deng looks like a smart guy. He's a great pickup, maybe Cal can pick up some juco WRs. One would help a lot.

Exactly
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.