TCU Message Boards

21,760 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sebastabear
TheFiatLux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NYCGOBEARS said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

We also happen to be the best burrito connoisseurs you will ever find. What's your favorite burrito place?

<Placing a side bet that this thread now goes over 10 pages>
I'm not a big burrito guy myself. Unless I can get them without beans. I don't like-a da beans. But if I do want a burrito, I generally hit a place called Fuzzy's Tacos. Fuzzy's is an interesting story. The first Fuzzy's, which is still around, opened up just off the campus of TCU (you could literally stand outside Fuzzy's a throw a rock across the street and have it land in the TCU bookstore parking lot). It became pretty popular with students initially I think because it gave them and interesting late night food and drink option. Over the years they've expanded and they are popping up all over the country. I think they are opening a couple in Colorado, but that's about as far west as they've gotten.
They wacky thing about Fuzzy's is it really isn't Tex-Mex so much as it's more West Coast Mex. One of their signature items is their Baja tacos. I can't get enough of the chips and queso and I'll devour a gigantic plate of brisket nachos without thinking twice.
If any of ya'll come out to Fort Worth for the game here, I'd suggest Fuzzy's.

Interesting. I'm not a huge burrito guy either but when I get them I get them without rice. Can't stand the rice in my burrito. As the Mission burrito was "invented" across the bay in the Mission District of San Francisco, my preference makes me an oddity.

As long as we all agree Northern California burritos are better than Southern California burritos... and by extension all other burritos. I can't imagine anyone on any of these boards disagreeing with that non-controversial statement.
Sebastabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

We also happen to be the best burrito connoisseurs you will ever find. What's your favorite burrito place?

I'm not a big burrito guy myself. Unless I can get them without beans. I don't like-a da beans. But if I do want a burrito, I generally hit a place called Fuzzy's Tacos. Fuzzy's is an interesting story. The first Fuzzy's, which is still around, opened up just off the campus of TCU (you could literally stand outside Fuzzy's a throw a rock across the street and have it land in the TCU bookstore parking lot). It became pretty popular with students initially I think because it gave them and interesting late night food and drink option. Over the years they've expanded and they are popping up all over the country. I think they are opening a couple in Colorado, but that's about as far west as they've gotten.
They wacky thing about Fuzzy's is it really isn't Tex-Mex so much as it's more West Coast Mex. One of their signature items is their Baja tacos. I can't get enough of the chips and queso and I'll devour a gigantic plate of brisket nachos without thinking twice.

Interesting. I'm not a huge burrito guy either but when I get them I get them without rice. Can't stand the rice in my burrito. As the Mission burrito was "invented" across the bay in the Mission District of San Francisco, my preference makes me an oddity.
As a guy who does like a good burrito, this is some serious burrito sacrilege right here. Making a burrito without rice is virtually un-American (or Mexican-American). And no, do not post telling me that the burrito was invented in the US and not Mexico blah, blah, blah.
Another Bear
Burritos = NorCal
Tacos = SoCal

NYCGOBEARS
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

As a guy who does like a good burrito, this is some serious burrito sacrilege right here. Making a burrito without rice is virtually un-American (or Mexican-American). And no, do not post telling me that the burrito was invented in the US and not Mexico blah, blah, blah.

Don't make me go crazy with your burrito appropriation absolutes. I just got out of the BI doghouse.
NYCGOBEARS
TheFiatLux said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

As long as we all agree Northern California burritos are better than Southern California burritos... and by extension all other burritos. I can't imagine anyone on any of these boards disagreeing with that non-controversial statement.

Nor Cal burritos are hands down better. I don't care who proves me wrong.
FremontBear
TouchedTheAxeIn82 said:

Forgot John Cho and John Yoo.
I'd like Yoo to replace RBG, soon.
Unit2Sucks
TheFiatLux said:

I'm a Northern California guy all the way (I even hate the term NorCal!) but I'm with Southern California on burritos. Beans and Rice are just filler. I can live with beans but rice is a deal breaker. One area where I really differ with my Southern California brothers and sisters is on refried beans vs whole beans. I have never been a fan of refried beans.
NYCGOBEARS
Unit2Sucks said:

TheFiatLux said:

I'm a Northern California guy all the way (I even hate the term NorCal!) but I'm with Southern California on burritos. Beans and Rice are just filler. I can live with beans but rice is a deal breaker. One area where I really differ with my Southern California brothers and sisters is on refried beans vs whole beans. I have never been a fan of refried beans.

I love refried beans.
Sebastabear
NYCGOBEARS said:

Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

Don't make me go crazy with your burrito appropriation absolutes. I just got out of the BI doghouse.

Well to be fair I was trying at least a bit to provoke you as I love GTFO as a tag line
NYCGOBEARS
Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Sebastabear said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

Well to be fair I was trying at least a bit to provoke you as I love GTFO as a tag line

GTFO. Happy?
BGolden
MSaviolives said:

And forgot The Beav, Jerry Mathers

This is not your grandfathers' Cal.

Brett Dalton :

dajo9
MercenaryLibrarian said:

dajo9 said:

Brisket nachos? That's not Tex-Mex?

I expect a full report on Fuzzy's from somebody after we play at TCU.

Rice is fine in a burrito but the Chipotle's of the world overdo it (likely because it's cheaper). A great burrito should have a little of everything but not too much of anything. The best burritos are made in Southern California. Particularly, inland Southern California where city folk don't mess them up too much with their fancy fashions and health kicks.
American Vermin
TheSouseFamily
I always request half rice and half beans (preferably black) and that does the trick for me. Extra cilantro too, thank you very much. And let's go with fresh diced jalapeno over pickled jalapeno while we're at it.
TheSouseFamily
Nachos must have only three ingredients: hot tortilla chips, aged cheddar and jalapeno. Anything else is something other than nachos and Ignacio Anaya, the creator of nachos, would back me up on that. It's fine if you want to load things up with meat or guacamole or sour cream...that's your business, I'm not here to judge. But you're not eating nachos. And thank you to El Cholo in LA for upholding the sacred tradition of the original nachos.

Another Bear
Frankly I'm happy there's differences between NorCal and SoCal Mexican food because IT'S ALL GOOD and plenty and it's not that different really. Definitely like Mission burritos but tacos rule in SoCal, especially Baja Fish Tacos, which I won't even bother with up here ($5+ and tiny). SoCal still has many good mom and pop places where you can eat like a king for not much. SF and Berkeley not so much...Oakland doing okay here. And the gap has closed because you can now get good tacos/burritos on I-5 going between the two places. The rivalry stuff is fun and goofy but really, no complaints except I can no longer drop a 2,000 calories Mission burrito at 12 midnight. Now it's a couple of tacos before 8 p.m. YMMV.
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

Nachos must have only three ingredients: hot tortilla chips, aged cheddar and jalapeno. Anything else is something other than nachos and Ignacio Anaya, the creator of nachos, would back me up on that. It's fine if you want to load things up with meat or guacamole or sour cream...that's your business, I'm not here to judge. But you're not eating nachos. And thank you to El Cholo in LA for upholding the sacred tradition of the original nachos.

This is a bad take. Can pizza only be served as it was first served? Are we not watching football because the game now has the forward pass, but didn't when it was invented? Is the Constitution not the Constitution because we have added amendments since it was first ratified?

Chips. Melted cheese. Any other toppings you want. You got nachos. What would you suggest it be called? Pulled pork melted cheese chips? C'mon.
dajo9
TheSouseFamily said:

I always request half rice and half beans (preferably black) and that does the trick for me. Extra cilantro too, thank you very much. And let's go with fresh diced jalapeno over pickled jalapeno while we're at it.
I'm known to walk out of a Mexican food restaurant if they only serve black beans and don't have pinto or refried beans available. I grew up eating Mexican food but never had black beans in a burrito until a freshman year visit to Zona Rosa in Berkeley. I felt like I had moved away to Mars.

I don't think meat belongs on nachos, but I'm ok with other ingredients. That's a personal preference. Black beans in a burrito is not a matter of personal preference. I draw the line on that.
American Vermin
TheSouseFamily
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

This is a bad take. Can pizza only be served as it was first served? Are we not watching football because the game now has the forward pass, but didn't when it was invented? Is the Constitution not the Constitution because we have added amendments since it was first ratified?

Chips. Melted cheese. Any other toppings you want. You got nachos. What would you suggest it be called? Pulled pork melted cheese chips? C'mon.

I'm not here to deprive you of eating anything you might want to eat. But words oiught to mean something especially when it comes to food, and we've gone way too far in stripping words of actual descriptive meaning. Words like "artisanal" and "handcrafted" and "farm to table" used to actually signify something. There was a time too when tapas meant it was Spanish food. I'm simply advocating for stopping the dangerous creep of lazily stripping culinary words of actual meaning. But also, chips, cheese and jalapeo is the best way to experience "nachos" anyway and we nacho purists need to hold the line, just as the French have held the line on what constitutes champagne.
MercenaryLibrarian
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I'm not here to deprive you of eating anything you might want to eat. But words oiught to mean something especially when it comes to food, and we've gone way too far in stripping words of actual descriptive meaning. Words like "artisanal" and "handcrafted" and "farm to table" used to actually signify something. There was a time too when tapas meant it was Spanish food. I'm simply advocating for stopping the dangerous creep of lazily stripping culinary words of actual meaning. But also, chips, cheese and jalapeo is the best way to experience "nachos" anyway and we nacho purists need to hold the line, just as the French have held the line on what constitutes champagne.
It's Texas. We put meat on pretty much everything. Sometimes, we add extra meat to meat just so we can have more meat.
kirklandblue
I'm anxious to hear Hanky's take on this conversation.
NYCGOBEARS
MercenaryLibrarian said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

It's Texas. We put meat on pretty much everything. Sometimes, we add extra meat to meat just so we can have more meat.

In Texas you also put cheese on EVERYTHING. Bless your hearts.
dajo9
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Maybe it should be called "THE Nachos", like THE Ohio State University.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
NYCGOBEARS said:

Unit2Sucks said:

TheFiatLux said:

I love refried beans.
Are you aware that you typed all this and hit "post reply"?
JSC 76
TheSouseFamily said:

This may be the first time that "nachos" and "purists" have been used in the same sentence.

And this thread has -- as predicted -- gone off the rails in a marvelously entertaining way. Carry on.
NYCGOBEARS
Unit2Sucks said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

Unit2Sucks said:

TheFiatLux said:

I love refried beans.
Are you aware that you typed all this and hit "post reply"?

I hit it hard and with full consciousness.
GMP
MercenaryLibrarian said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

But nachos with meat on them are not so *******ized of what you are advocating as the only true nacho so as to render the term meaningless. The base is the same: chips, melted cheese. And if someone puts, for example, pulled pork on nachos they always say so on the menu: pulled pork nachos. This tells the customer that a modification has been made, but still conveys to anyone reading what they'll be ordering, and does not strip the word nacho of its meaning.
PtownBear1
So is there anything football related on the TCU boards about our upcoming game or the DB we stole from them?
TheSouseFamily
GMP said:

MercenaryLibrarian said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

But nachos with meat on them are not so *******ized of what you are advocating as the only true nacho so as to render the term meaningless. The base is the same: chips, melted cheese. And if someone puts, for example, pulled pork on nachos they always say so on the menu: pulled pork nachos. This tells the customer that a modification has been made, but still conveys to anyone reading what they'll be ordering, and does not strip the word nacho of its meaning.

I hear you and think this is a fair point. A qualifier of some sort at least sends a message to the consumer that they are not getting an authentic version of the product. Not ideal, but acceptable. When you go to Taco Bell and order a Doritos Taco Loco, you can safely asssune you're not getting a traditional taco comprised of a corn tortilla, meat, onion and cilantro but rather some loco version of a taco. There's no deception there (other than that Taco Bell sells actual "food"). But what I find difficult to swallow (but literally and figuratively) is when something is described as "nachos" with no qualifier and it's some horrendous glob of chips, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, ground beef (gasp), olives (***??), etc. Thats the kind of abomination that probably makes Ignacio Anaya roll over in his grave and wish he'd never created the dish in the first place.
TheSouseFamily
PtownBear1 said:

So is there anything football related on the TCU boards about our upcoming game or the DB we stole from them?

I'm sorry, PtownBear: I've said my peace about nachos and will (likely) stick to football the rest of the way on this thread. Bear in mind though, that nachos were invented on the Mexico/Texas border near Eagle Pass, TX only a few hundred miles from Ft Worth so I suspect our friends from TCU likely have some strong opinions on nachos as well.
Yogi58
TheSouseFamily said:

There's no deception there (other than that Taco Bell sells actual "food").
I dunno, that one still kinda bothers me.
hanky1
I like burritos. Actually, I love burritos.

I like the really large burritos. I usually prefer them long and thick. The girth of a burrito really adds to the satisfaction, if it's thick enough. I like the burritos that are firm - the ones that won't just go limp if you put it sideways.

I don't really care for the wrap...ive tried ones with the white wrap, red wrap, yellow wrap. Black wrap. Don't care. It's all the same to me.

The juicy burritos are the best. You know what I'm talking about...the ones that you bite into and juices just flow into your mouth.

Yummy.
NYCGOBEARS
hanky1 said:

I like the really large burritos. I usually prefer them long and thick. The girth of a burrito really adds to the satisfaction, if it's thick enough. I like the burritos that are firm - the ones that won't just go limp if you put it sideways.

I don't really care for the wrap...ive tried ones with the white wrap, red wrap, yellow wrap. Black wrap. Don't care. It's all the same to me.

The juicy burritos are the best. You know what I'm talking about...the ones that you bite into and juices just flow into your mouth.

Yummy.

So you're a size queen that hates the wrapper? Okay, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
NYCGOBEARS
TheSouseFamily said:

PtownBear1 said:

I'm sorry, PtownBear: I've said my peace about nachos and will (likely) stick to football the rest of the way on this thread. Bear in mind though, that nachos were invented on the Mexico/Texas border near Eagle Pass, TX only a few hundred miles from Ft Worth so I suspect our friends from TCU likely have some strong opinions on nachos as well.

You esoteric nachos purists almost killed this thread. Good job.
AunBear89
hanky1 said:

Yummy.

TMI, dude.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
AunBear89
NYCGOBEARS said:

hanky1 said:

Yummy.

So you're a size queen that hates the wrapper? Okay, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
And juicy - don't forget juicy.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.