"New" 1934 football jersey - I want one!!

6 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by joe amos yaks
72CalBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.ebbets.com/collections/knitwear/products/university-of-california-berkeley-1934-authentic-football-jersey

They also have a really cool throw-back cap!
Yogi58
72CalBear said:

https://www.ebbets.com/collections/knitwear/products/university-of-california-berkeley-1934-authentic-football-jersey

I can't wait to read SFCityBear's memories of that season
MoragaBear
Staff
72CalBear said:

On "sale" for $180 lol
75bear
That's some serious coin.
Strykur
Worth it? Sure, but not so hot about the "29".
BearSD
They have the years hopelessly messed up on that webpage.

The Bears beat Alabama 13-0 in the Rose Bowl after the 1937 season. That webpage alternately claims 1934 and 1935.

And the jersey on that webpage doesn't match the one from the 1937 season. No stripes on the sleeves of the 1937 jersey, per the photo in this article: https://www.sfchronicle.com/college/jenkins/article/Survivor-recalls-Cal-s-last-Rose-Bowl-win-12350465.php
TomBear
Yeah, there are some problems with the text, but man that is a nice jersey. I was going to try to get the Craig Morton zebra strip throwback but can't find it. I never buy jerseys, but those zebra stripe ones are ultra cool and I'm going to get one or the other.

Cal had rugby jerseys with those stripes some years back, and those are still my favorite kit.

Nice, rich Blue and deep Gold too!
oasisbear
Very cool site, thanks for sharing this!
cal83dls79
MoragaBear said:

72CalBear said:

On "sale" for $180 lol
in 1937 dollars that's $10.37 and probably the price I might pay for it if I found it in the discount rack today. ...although the stripes might be a deal killer....not slimming...now the cap can work.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
Eastern Oregon Bear
The 1938 road baseball jerseys are pretty nice too. On sale for only $139!
MoragaBear
Staff
TomBear said:

Yeah, there are some problems with the text, but man that is a nice jersey. I was going to try to get the Craig Morton zebra strip throwback but can't find it. I never buy jerseys, but those zebra stripe ones are ultra cool and I'm going to get one or the other.

Cal had rugby jerseys with those stripes some years back, and those are still my favorite kit.

Nice, rich Blue and deep Gold too!
These ones were sold at the student store across the street from the ASUC store.

Lomiton
Ebbets stuff is really spendy but it's A+ quality and super people to deal with.
TomBear
Thanks Moraga. I tried to find the Morton jersey the last few times I've been up there and didn't see it at the store. I will probably opt for the '35 version since it is a better gold and doesn't have the white trim around the numeral. (I don't recall the white trim on the original Morton era jerseys, but could be mistaken. Gold looks better without white around it). Stripes are a bit more evident on the '35 version too. But if the Morton version is a whole lot less, and is well made, I'd be really happy with that. I always liked the zebra stripes, and especially liked them when they were part of the Cal Rugby kit some years ago.
MoragaBear
Staff
TomBear said:

Thanks Moraga. I tried to find the Morton jersey the last few times I've been up there and didn't see it at the store. I will probably opt for the '35 version since it is a better gold and doesn't have the white trim around the numeral. (I don't recall the white trim on the original Morton era jerseys, but could be mistaken. Gold looks better without white around it). Stripes are a bit more evident on the '35 version too. But if the Morton version is a whole lot less, and is well made, I'd be really happy with that. I always liked the zebra stripes, and especially liked them when they were part of the Cal Rugby kit some years ago.
What size are you if I see one? Definitely far cheaper than the one in the OP. Like @$70 IIRC.
TomBear
I'll be up Saturday for the rugby game (wanna go?). I'll drop by the store again and see if I see one. 'Let's see if I can find one while I'm up. If not, I'll PM you and send you a check.

Best would be just to meet at the rugby game

Hey, and thanks!!!!
joe amos yaks
Holy Olee! Muckie-eye!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.