Cal Rugby scores triple digits again

1,212 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chalcidbear
TomBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With the real meat of the schedule ahead, the Cal Rugby team demolished another opponent, this time Pac conference foe Arizona State, by a score of a whole lot (triple digits) to nothing.

I wasn't able to be at the match due to another scheduling conflict, and so can't give many details other than there was good representation by young freshmen and sophomores and Cal has maintained their ability to keep opponents from scoring.

With four full matches behind them, the Bears have now scored well over 300 points to their opponents 3, and have done so with on field play of some significant sophomores and freshman among the upperclassmen.

It is unlikely that the lopsided victories will continue over coming weeks with two matches against University of British Columbia, and matches against Arizona and St. Marys on the horizon, among others (including Utah, UCla and Cal Poly). But the Bears are clearly heading to a crescendo and their depth is looking impressive.

This weekend, the Bears will play Cal Poly at Witter.

YamhillBear
Seems like a shame that we weren't able to schedule some of the tougher opponents to prepare for the matches with UBC.
chalcidbear
Well, actually TWO teams each scored a penalty goal against us (UCLA & Cal Maritime), but still the point differential for the season so far has been the greatest that I can remember. Is this a sign of how good Cal is, or how bad are our opponents? Well, for UC Davis, Cal Maritime and ASU, the latter may be the case. But for UCLA and San Diego State, it may be the former. In any case, Cal Poly should represent a distinct uptick in our opposition, just what we need before facing UBC. I'm just a little worried about San Cusano, who was injured in the ASU game (see my posting on the match).
YamhillBear
Yes, losing Sam Cusano would be a big setback. Hearing anything?
chalcidbear
No, but I don't recall ever hearing about injury updates regarding Cal rugby on the web site, so we'll just have to wait and see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.