Story Poster
Photo by YouTube / Cal Bears
Cal Football

Cal DL Coach Tony Tuioti Reportedly Nebraska-bound

February 25, 2019

Reports have surfaced indicating that Cal defensive line coach Tony Tuioti is set to receive a sizable raise to take over Nebraska's open defensive line coach position in Lincoln.

The 42-year old Tuioti came to Cal in 2016 as outside linebackers coach before moving to defensive ends coach in 2018 and to defensive line coach after the departure of veteran DL coach Jerry Azzinaro for UCLA in 2018.

Reports indicate Tuioti may be receiving a salary approaching 500k -a pay level commensurate with many defensive coordinator positions and a hard offer to pass up -even working in the frozen environs of Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.

Tuioti has overseen a defensive line that’s played a solid role in Cal’s defensive resurgence after the return of Cal head coach Justin Wilcox to Cal after getting his coaching start as a linebackers coach under Jeff Tedford 16 years ago.

Before taking his position at Cal, Tuioti coached at Hawaii and with the Cleveland Browns, as well as serving as Director of Player Personnel at Michigan for a year before moving to Cal.

Should the Bears choose to make an internal hire, a prime candidate could be quality control defensive assistant Andrew Browning.

Browning played DL for Boise State under Wilcox and moved to quality control assistant and grad assistant for the Broncos following graduation. He then moved on to serve as defensive line coach at UTEP for five seasons, fielding some strong d-lines with both programs. He came to Cal last year after the UTEP staff turned over and has served as a defensive quality control assistant at Cal since then.

Stay tuned should any official announcement be forthcoming about any coaching changes in the next couple days.

Discussion from...

Cal DL Coach Tony Tuioti Reportedly Nebraska-bound

26,114 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by calumnus
sunewoco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hate to see him go, but was he really worth $500k? Nebraska might have deeper football pockets than us, but still...
71Bear
sunewoco said:

Hate to see him go, but was he really worth $500k? Nebraska might have deeper football pockets than us, but still...
Per the USA Today Asst Coach salary list, 146 assistant coaches makes $500,000+. It is no longer a "big number" for assistants at P5 schools.
Big C
71Bear said:

sunewoco said:

Per the USA Today Asst Coach salary list, 146 assistant coaches makes $500,000+. It is no longer a "big number" for assistants at P5 schools.
Meanwhile, Oakland teachers (average annual pay $63,000) continue to strike...
GMP
71Bear said:

sunewoco said:

Sure, but that number includes coordinators. $500k for a position coach is still a big number.
ColoradoBear
For real, how much does Tosh make for the Browns?

Also, any P5 team paying 500k for a DC is not trying.

I'm kinda hungry for a steak though...
MoragaBear
Staff
GMP said:

71Bear said:

sunewoco said:

Sure, but that number includes coordinators. $500k for a position coach is still a big number.
Yup and there are 2 coordinators per team, too. And the big boys pay multiple coaches big money so it's not at all that common for a position coach to make that kind of money.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

sunewoco said:

Yup and there are 2 coordinators per team, too. And the big boys pay multiple coaches big money so it's not at all that common for a position coach to make that kind of money.

Big money for position coaches is usually for guys that are perceived to be great recruiters. Nebraska might see Tipoti as one?

im4golfing
His salary will be $357,000 per the Lincoln Journal Star. The previous DL coach made $475,000.

So a sizable raise from $275,000 he was making at Cal, but quite a bit short of $500,000.
Bear8
Specifically, what are the duties of a quality control coach?
NYCGOBEARS
im4golfing said:

His salary will be $357,000 per the Lincoln Journal Star. The previous DL coach made $475,000.

So a sizable raise from $275,000 he was making at Cal, but quite a bit short of $500,000.

The figure being reported for Tui suggests to me that Wilcox wasn't all that motivated to keep him. We don't know if internally the feeling was that he wasn't worth the $ from a coaching and recruiting perspective.
NVBear78
Someone mentioned that Coach Tui has 5 children. If this is correct moving to a lower cost of living area could be critical for he and his family moving forward....
im4golfing
He actually has 7 children, so cost of living/quality of life may have been an important factor. And the fact that Nebraska is definitely on the way up, and he wants to be a part of that.
hanky1
Interesting tidbit: he was hired by Tedford to be DLine coach at Fresno St. He was there all of a few weeks before Wilcox stole him away.
HungryCalBear
hanky1 said:

Interesting tidbit: he was hired by Tedford to be DLine coach at Fresno St. He was there all of a few weeks before Wilcox stole him away.

That's twice Wilcox stole away a DL coach from Tedford. Now he's getting a taste of his own medicine.
Cal_79
HungryCalBear said:

hanky1 said:

That's twice Wilcox stole away a DL coach from Tedford. Now he's getting a taste of his own medicine.

If other teams aren't trying to steal your coaches, your coaches aren't very good...
95bears
How we're ever going to compete vis-a-vis the powerhouses that are in affordable areas is beyond me.

We're at a 3X cost of living disadvantage compared to somewhere like Lincoln, NE.

Cost of living comparison for Berkeley vs Lincoln

This is before factoring in the income tax differences, with California having the most oppressive income and misc. taxes and enforcement in the country.
calumnus
95bears said:

How we're ever going to compete vis-a-vis the powerhouses that are in affordable areas is beyond me.

We're at a 3X cost of living disadvantage compared to somewhere like Lincoln, NE.

This is before factoring in the income tax differences, with California having the most oppressive income and misc. taxes and enforcement in the country.

To deal with even more ridiculous housing costs, Stanford built housing for their coaches. The university owns land, maybe a donor could build some homes on land the university owns that could be rented at below market rates to coaches? Maybe in Strawbery Canyon? Maybe near Lawrence Berkeley Labs or Lawrence Hall of Science? Or along the Bay? It is too bad they let Panoramic Hill get away.
71Bear
95bears said:

Property tax and no city income taxes mitigate CA taxes. I just completed my daughter's taxes (she lives in a Brooklyn). Yikes, on top of the New York State income tax, the NYC income tax is a bit tough.

Also, speaking as a homeowner who bought his house 31 years ago, CA property taxes are a sweet deal relative to other states - thank you, Prop 13. And, as a bonus, CA does not tax social security. Yep - living in CA is ok with me.
ColoradoBear
71Bear said:

95bears said:

Property tax and no city income taxes mitigate CA taxes. I just completed my daughter's taxes (she lives in a Brooklyn). Yikes, on top of the New York State income tax, the NYC income tax is a bit tough.

Also, speaking as a homeowner who bought his house 31 years ago, CA property taxes are a sweet deal relative to other states - thank you, Prop 13. And, as a bonus, CA does not tax social security. Yep - living in CA is ok with me.

OK, how many cities other than NYC have a city income tax? Being cheaper than NYC does nothing to mitigate cost vs Nebraska.

Plus CA's prop 13 is really bad for people just moving to CA and buying a house, which would be basically any new coach.

So for the effect on Cal football and retaining coaches, your low property cost does nothing to help Cal football. I'd even argue that low property taxes for longtime residents hurts newer homeowners since it drives the tax burden up.

7 kids... Lincoln sounds pretty nice. Get a 4000 sq ft house and live it up.

MoragaBear
Staff
Prop 13's only a sweet deal for homeowners if they bought their house a LONG time ago. We bought ours almost 20 years ago and still pay 5 figures property tax, which is far higher than most of the rest of the country pay buying houses in 2019.
NYCGOBEARS
71Bear said:

95bears said:

Sigh....
cal83dls79
NYCGOBEARS said:

71Bear said:

95bears said:

Sigh....
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

Prop 13's only a sweet deal for homeowners if they bought their house a LONG time ago. We bought ours almost 20 years ago and still pay 5 figures property tax, which is far higher than most of the rest of the country pay buying houses in 2019.
It is a good deal for every homeowner. Just imagine what your property taxes would be without the law.

MoragaBear
Staff
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

It is a good deal for every homeowner. Just imagine what your property taxes would be without the law.
There's a difference between it being a good arrangement for California homeowners vs. it being a sweet deal, in general.

I don't think most people in any region of the country would like my 5 figure "sweet deal" property taxes compared to what they pay.
71Bear
MoragaBear said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

There's a difference between it being a good arrangement for California homeowners vs. it being a sweet deal, in general.

I don't think most people in any region of the country would like my 5 figure "sweet deal" property taxes compared to what they pay.
Given the value of your home (my brother recently sold his home in Moraga and moved to Danville. I know the value of homes in Moraga) and given the amount of property tax you said you pay, it is definitely a sweet deal. In other major states, you would pay much more if you lived in a home of the same value.
philbert
CA is 16th lowest in effective tax rates according to this: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/

Shocking to me...
71Bear
philbert said:

CA is 16th lowest in effective tax rates according to this: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/

Shocking to me...
This is no surprise to me. Prop 13 is the reason. It has been great for all homeowners in the state.
Golden One
71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Given the value of your home (my brother recently sold his home in Moraga and moved to Danville. I know the value of homes in Moraga) and given the amount of property tax you said you pay, it is definitely a sweet deal. In other major states, you would pay much more if you lived in a home of the same value.
Yes, but you miss the point. A similar-sized home in the vast majority of other states (especially Nebraska) would be valued at about 25% of the same home in Moraga. The net result is that for that home in other states, the property tax would be less.
Golden One
philbert said:

Shocking to me...
Not for new residents buying a home in California. The effective tax rate is heavily influenced by property taxes paid by existing residents who have owned their homes for many years and thus benefit from Proposition 13. A new resident pays based on the current inflated value of the house they just purchased in California. When you add to that California's high income tax rate (top 5 in the country) you have a very heavy tax burden compared to other states not named New York and New Jersey.
philbert
Golden One said:

philbert said:

Shocking to me...
Not for new residents buying a home in California. The effective tax rate is heavily influenced by property taxes paid by existing residents who have owned their homes for many years and thus benefit from Proposition 13. A new resident pays based on the current inflated value of the house they just purchased in California. When you add to that California's high income tax rate (top 5 in the country) you have a very heavy tax burden compared to other states not named New York and New Jersey.
I am well aware of the higher property taxes I pay due to having purchased relatively recently....
BearGoggles
71Bear said:

philbert said:

Shocking to me...
This is no surprise to me. Prop 13 is the reason. It has been great for all homeowners in the state.

This is the biggest bunch of hooey I've read in a long time. It is good for some homeowners. People of your generation basically enacted an entitlement - one that is not means tested but instead based on the wealthy keeping their homes until they are at least old enough to transfer their tax basis to a new home or a family member (i.e., game the system). The rest of us (your children and grandchildren, if you have them) subsidize that entitlement with higher taxes that we pay, simply because we were born later. Why should you get a discount on what you pay for fire, schools, and other basic services?

Many of the people with low taxes live in communities where government built infrastructure prior to Prop 13. Prop 13 ended that and now new homes are for the most part constructed in areas where the government pays nothing for infrastructure, schools, fire departments, etc. Instead, homeowners pay mello-roos - an additional tax of around .75-1%.

The purpose behind prop 13 was noble; to ensure that people were not taxed out of their homes by rapidly increasing assessed values. But capping the maximum annual increase at 1% has distorted that goal to the point where people are not paying their fair share for basic services. And in many if not most cases, these are the people who can better afford to pay than new first time home buyers (i.e., older people who have accumulated wealth and/or are higher earners). Add to that the loopholes that have been added that have no bearing on the original purpose (e.g., parent to child, parent to grandchild exemptions and property tax transfers) and no you've created a generational entitlement.

I have no doubt you like your government handout. But don't pretend it is good for everyone.
going4roses
Mmm kay
Personal Perspective
GTFO???
71Bear
Golden One said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

71Bear said:

MoragaBear said:

Yes, but you miss the point. A similar-sized home in the vast majority of other states (especially Nebraska) would be valued at about 25% of the same home in Moraga. The net result is that for that home in other states, the property tax would be less.
I get that. My point was that MB is complaining about his five figure property tax. The amount he is paying would be less if he owned a comparably valued home in another major state. Of course, alll of us could get much more house and pay less property tax in a fly over state. But who wants to live that far from the ocean? I like living in California. I have no problem with the taxes here. The only thing I dislike is that it is too hot in the spring/summer....
71Bear
BearGoggles said:

71Bear said:

philbert said:

Shocking to me...

This is the biggest bunch of hooey I've read in a long time. It is good for some homeowners. People of your generation basically enacted an entitlement - one that is not means tested but instead based on the wealthy keeping their homes until they are at least old enough to transfer their tax basis to a new home or a family member (i.e., game the system). The rest of us (your children and grandchildren, if you have them) subsidize that entitlement with higher taxes that we pay, simply because we were born later. Why should you get a discount on what you pay for fire, schools, and other basic services?

Many of the people with low taxes live in communities where government built infrastructure prior to Prop 13. Prop 13 ended that and now new homes are for the most part constructed in areas where the government pays nothing for infrastructure, schools, fire departments, etc. Instead, homeowners pay mello-roos - an additional tax of around .75-1%.

The purpose behind prop 13 was noble; to ensure that people were not taxed out of their homes by rapidly increasing assessed values. But capping the maximum annual increase at 1% has distorted that goal to the point where people are not paying their fair share for basic services. And in many if not most cases, these are the people who can better afford to pay than new first time home buyers (i.e., older people who have accumulated wealth and/or are higher earners). Add to that the loopholes that have been added that have no bearing on the original purpose (e.g., parent to child, parent to grandchild exemptions and property tax transfers) and no you've created a generational entitlement.

I have no doubt you like your government handout. But don't pretend it is good for everyone.
Of course, the irony is that I voted against Prop 13 (I was young, what did I know). Oh well, as I tell my kids, my generation screwed up everything. Now it is your turn. Good luck fixing the mess we made.

And yes, unless there is a change to the current law, I have every intention of passing on my property to my kids through a family trust that we have established so they can enjoy the same property tax rate we currently pay.
BearGreg
Staff
The Prop 13 discussion is really interesting for Off Topic. Let's keep it to Cal Sports here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.