OT and I don't care! My kid got in!!!!!

12,301 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TandemBear
TandemBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As of about ten minutes ago, it's official...

My daughter made her decision tonight. And it's Cal!!!! Yeah! So excited for her.

But it wasn't an easy decision. It was very close between Cal and UC Davis. And I can appreciate why. She isn't the "type A" personality who thrives on competition and putting herself forward. But she works incredibly hard and is one smart kid! That said, she received a LOT of really good advice from family, friends, teachers and advisers.

What's especially nice is that she will be the third generation Cal Bear in the family. My father and her grandfather, the son of an immigrant father, came up from lower middle class roots, loved and did well at Cal, before proceeding to medical school. The sad part though is that my proud Cal dad didn't get to see his granddaughter matriculate to his beloved Alma Mater. (Nor did he get another Rose Bowl, but that's another sad matter.)

Thanks to you all for all the well wishes, great advice, sound suggestions and generally good-natured banter. Good-natured or not, nothing can put a damper on this proud dad's emotion right now !

Go Bears!

Goobear
TandemBear said:

My daughter made her decision tonight. And it's Cal!!!! Yeah! So excited for her.

But it wasn't an easy decision. It was very close between Cal and UC Davis. And I can appreciate why. She isn't the "type A" personality who thrives on competition and putting herself forward. But she works incredibly hard and is one smart kid! That said, she received a LOT of really good advice from family, friends, teachers and advisers.

What's especially nice is that she will be the third generation Cal Bear in the family. My father and her grandfather, the son of an immigrant father, came up from lower middle class roots, loved and did well at Cal, before proceeding to medical school. The sad part though is that my proud Cal dad didn't get to see his granddaughter matriculate to his beloved Alma Mater. (Nor did he get another Rose Bowl, but that's another sad matter.)

Thanks to you all for all the well wishes, great advice, sound suggestions and generally good-natured banter. Good-natured or not, nothing can put a damper on this proud dad's emotion right now !

Go Bears!

Tandem, congrats! You must be so proud.
TandemBear
Thank you so much! I must admit I was pretty sure she was going to pick Davis. And I TRIED to let her decide. But it was so hard to stand back and TRY to leave well enough alone!
GivemTheAxe
TandemBear said:

Go Bears!

Congrats to you and your daughter.
She sounds like the typi-Cal student.
Smart and hard working and takes nothing for granted.
When I came to Cal I was amazed how smart everyone was and was panicked that I would not measure up. So I determined to work my tail off. I did but I also had the time of my life.

Now that your daughter has made her choice for Cal you can be honest with her: "OK you made the right choice...all that BS about other schools being good choices was just my way of letting you make the right decision on your own...and you did...there is NO school as good as Cal"
TandemBear
Thanks GivemTheAxe. I'd like to read your reply to her. It's EXACTLY the way she's feeling right now. And the second part she already knows. I may be able to lie, but she isn't stupid after all!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.