Happy 50th birthday to the greatest park in America!

3,948 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bearister
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

operbear
And the greatest place to swim is ... a cesspool?
Peoples' Park = needle park, rape park, theft park.
Great symbol of UC and Berkeley???
Operbear
bearister

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/04/21/remembering-bloody-thursday-1969-peoples-park-riot/

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
operbear said:

Yes!
ColoradoBear
Build baby build!
Sebastabear
operbear said:

You are missing that in this case Park is an acronym

Public space
About to be
Reclaimed by
Cal (I'm going with the French spelling on Park).
Golden One
People's Park is a complete disgrace. It's a blight on the Berkeley landscape.
kelly09
okaydo said:

TOTAL GARBAGE!
Larno
I was a senior in high school in the spring of 1969. My brother, however, was attending Cal then and did not participate in any protests but he certainly saw a lot and had some interesting stories. A few years later I was at Cal at the tail end of the major protests and also did not participate. Where I lived was just a block away from People's Park and we got a few whiffs of tear gas on several occasions. As for the politics of the situation I was just concerned about school and making sure I didn't get drafted (a very high lottery number eventually took care of that), and the major takeaway I have from that video is that those pictured there who are still alive are mostly in their 70's and 80's now.
MTBear
Thanks for the video and the memories. It was a mess. It was an example of the times, but it really was a mess. The organizers and most of the participants weren't students. Students did stroll through out of curiosity and maybe even with a bit of mild support. Most students had classes to attend and papers to write. It was mostly outside hooligans that did the majority of the protesting. Some of you know my story. I was in the national guard, and I was a student. That gave me a particularly unique perspective. I, too, will be glad when the construction has been completed and the blight is removed.
kelly09
Larno said:

I was a senior in high school in the spring of 1969. My brother, however, was attending Cal then and did not participate in any protests but he certainly saw a lot and had some interesting stories. A few years later I was at Cal at the tail end of the major protests and also did not participate. Where I lived was just a block away from People's Park and we got a few whiffs of tear gas on several occasions. As for the politics of the situation I was just concerned about school and making sure I didn't get drafted (a very high lottery number eventually took care of that), and the major takeaway I have from that video is that those pictured there who are still alive are mostly in their 70's and 80's now.
I was in school. Met mt future and current wife at Bancroft Library when all hell was breaking loose. It was and is, an embarrassment to Cal students.
okaydo
MTBear said:

Thanks for the video and the memories. It was a mess. It was an example of the times, but it really was a mess. The organizers and most of the participants weren't students. Students did stroll through out of curiosity and maybe even with a bit of mild support. Most students had classes to attend and papers to write. It was mostly outside hooligans that did the majority of the protesting. Some of you know my story. I was in the national guard, and I was a student. That gave me a particularly unique perspective. I, too, will be glad when the construction has been completed and the blight is removed.

I think that the protests making news in the past few years -- the ones certain people on this board like to use to bash today's students -- actually involve very few students while the anarchy-making outsiders do the bad stuff. But the People's Park protests were led by a student, ASUC president-elect Dan Siegel.
hanky1
Burn it to the ground
MTBear
okaydo said:

MTBear said:

I think that the protests making news in the past few years -- the ones certain people on this board like to use to bash today's students -- actually involve very few students while the anarchy-making outsiders do the bad stuff. But the People's Park protests were led by a student, ASUC president-elect Dan Siegel.
Okaydo, I don't know you, and I don't pretend to know your ideological beliefs. I usually enjoy your contributions on this board. However, you mean, "let's go down there and take the park" Dan Siegel? The SDS leader Dan Siegel? What a guy he was back then. He may well have represented some good causes in his later legal life in Oakland, but IMHO he was misguided back then. By the way, it wasn't students who "used' the park before it was fenced off by the university. It was occupied by some homeless folks and by druggies who were trespassing on UC owned property. The university needed to fence off the property if for nothing else to avoid liability. A large percentage of the crowd Siegel led from Sproul to the "park" were not students. There were already protests going on around the "park" prior to Siegel's speech. Let's not glamorize the affair. I have no more to say on the subject.
MugsVanSant
People's Park has become a "hobo jungle", as such places used to be called. It started as a hippie thing. But eventually it became what it now is due to a form of political correctness preventing people from objecting to it becoming a homeless encampment.
RJABear
It is an eyesore. Bulldoze and build something useful.
randythebear
Okaydo, thanks. I enjoyed watching the videos.

People's Park has been a public health and safety nuisance and eyesore for 50 year. I'm glad the University can finally build much-needed student housing on the site.
bearister
That is a very good video with the music of Buffalo Springfield, the Byrds and the Young Rascals. The only person I recognized was at the 3:23 mark when a very slender Holy Hubert appears at center screen. By the time I hit Cal 3 years later he was a little pudge bear.
I do remember going to the Kennedy Games Track Meet at Edwards with my Dad in '69 when Berkeley was still occupied by the Guard.

Here is a video that focuses on the Street Fightin' Man events with musical accompaniment by Country Joe and the Fish.

Bears2thDoc
Pave paradise and turn it into a parking lot...... or a dorm, or a classroom, or a used car lot.

Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!!!
Sebastabear
Bears2thDoc said:

Pave paradise and turn it into a parking lot...... or a dorm, or a classroom, or a used car lot.

Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!!!
With all due respect to Big Yellow Taxi, if that's paradise I'd hate to see hell.
okaydo

bear2034
Bears2thDoc said:

Cheers!!
Go Bears!!!!!
TandemBear
A man, Calvin Kelly, nicknamed "Cal," was shot and killed in People's Park on Friday during a three murder crime spree:

"Original story: A 43-year-old Oakland man who is suspected of killing two men on Friday including a long-time city of Berkeley maintenance worker may also be connected to the homicide in Berkeley's People's Park on Friday, according to UC Berkeley police.

UC Berkeley police are now investigating whether it was Jefferson who double-parked a car on Dwight Way in Southside Berkeley, hopped out and walked to the western edge of the People's Park and shot a man in the head around 2:45 p.m. The man later died.

Update 4/28: The man who was shot in People's Park on Friday was Calvin Kelly, according to his sister Porshia Garvin. She said Kelly had four children ages five to 18 and loved to play chess and pinochle in the park. "Calvin was always in the park. If we wanted to know where Calvin was, we went to the park," said Garvin. Police came to Garvin's home Friday night to inform her of Kelly's death, she said.

Garvin said she did not know of any connection between Kelly and Stefon Jefferson, who UC Berkeley police have named as a possible suspect in the case. She said Kelly was not related to the other two men Jefferson allegedly killed."

https://www.berkeleyside.com/2019/04/27/killing-in-peoples-park-may-be-work-of-man-who-killed-two-others-on-friday-including-city-of-berkeley-worker

bearister
Has all the earmarks of drug trade targeted killings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.