Cal ruggers advance to semifinals

2,221 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TomBear
chalcidbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Today at Witter Field, Cal faced their 2nd post-regular season game in their hunt for another NC .The weather today was dry and warm, but a stiff breeze from the west had a decided influence on the kicking game. Today's opponent were the Arizona Wildcats, a team Cal beat earlier in the season by a score of 55-13. And the overall pattern of play today fairly well followed that earlier contest.

Cal did not start out well. Arizona was on offense in Cal territory for much of the first part of the first half. Cal's defense prevented the Wildcats from scoring any tries, but we committed a series of penalties which kept the ball in Zona's hands, resulting in a pair of penalty kicks in the 1st 20 minutes for the Wildcats to go up 6-0. But after the 2nd one, things finally changed - Cal blocked a Wildcat kick, got possession and ran it back for a try. The try was off to the side, and our conversion attempt was into the wind, and the kick was no good - (this conversion failure happened repeatedly in the 1st half), so the score was 6-5 favor of Arizona. Following the try, Arizona kicked off to Cal, and the Bears kept possession and ran it back for their 2nd try: 10-6 now. Then Cal reeled off three more tries during the rest of the half (missing all the conversions), so we were up at halftime, 25-6.

Now with the wind at our back, the Bears kept rolling. Four minutes into the 2nd half saw the Bears get another try. Then 4 minutes later, Zona had a penalty kick into touch, but the ball didn't get there - Cal fielded it and ran it back for another try, so we were up 35-6. 6 minutes later, a Cal player received a yellow card for a high tackle, but we were able to get another try even down a man: 42-6. Then we lost a 2nd player to a yellow card, and with us down two men, Arizona was able to capitalize on a possession deep in our territory to get their 1st try of the game: 42-11. Cal followed with another try, and then Arizona got their second try, bringing the score to 49-16. On the ensuing kickoff, Arizona muffed receiving the kick, Cal recovered, and got another try out of it. As the game was winding down, Arizona again had the ball deep in our territory, but they couldn't score. Cal won a turnover, and was able to run it back for another try at the end of the second half, for a final score of 61-16.

The lineouts were about even. I was anticipating that Cal would be winning in the scrums (as they have been all season), but that didn't happen today - the scrums were basically even. But we did have a couple of good mauls where we moved the ball for over 10 meters (but then, Arizona had one as well). We also had a couple of great long runs by Troy Lockyear.

So next Saturday we play in Moraga for the western Semifinals. Our opponent will be the winner of the St. Mary's/ BYU game, which is currently in progress at Witter Field as I write this. I assume St. Mary's will be the victor, and hence next week's game should be VERY exciting - it could go either way. But if Cal wins, then we'll be heading for the NC game on May 4 at the University of Santa Clara - the likely opponent being Life University.
Golden One
Clearly, the wind affected the kicking game today; however, our kicking has been mediocre at best even without the wind. I fear that poor kicking could doom us against St. Mary's and, if we get to the championship match, Life.
chalcidbear
I just saw that St. Mary's beat BYU 71-12 in the match after ours, so this confirms that we'll be playing the Gaels on their home turf next weekend.

It should be a spectacular game.
MugsVanSant
I get the Facebook posts from Cal Rugby. It did not look like we put our best 15 on the field perhaps saving them for St. Mary's.
The semi-final game against St. Mary's next week will be televised by CBS Sports network.
TomBear
Coach Clark manages his personnel brilliantly, and as he always does, he was able to mix some younger players in which gave players who will be needed next week some time to rest and heal. He can do this because in matches against opponents we should favored against, he can use a starting lineup with younger players which gives them important experience, and allows more experience players rest time. And, as was seen on Saturday, the younger players hold their own very nicely.

I believe the first yellow card was for Mirashem tackling a player who had released ball. That was the first time in a long time I have seen a mistake of that magnitude, totally out of Cal character. Mirashem is a good player and I doubt we'll ever see that from him again.

Webb's kicking did seem "off" again, but I noticed the wind was kicking around in the east and north end trees far more than we were feeling it in the south stands. I'm sure that had some affect on his accuracy.

The first 10 minutes of the match were really concerning. Cal didn't have possession within Arizona's 22 at all, and really seemed to be on their heels. But the Bears finally got some traction, and once they got that first try, they seemed to get their mojo back and pretty much had their way with the Cats.

St. Marys clearly was making a statement in their match with BYU. You can tell that they really want the rematch with Cal, and this weekend's game with so much on the line and their "revenge" factor will be a war! The Gaels were thorough in their smack down of BYU. Their backs ran very hard, their forwards were cohesive and effective, and you could see a difference in intensity between the two teams. With a new coach, BYU is just not what they've been in the past, and their team just didn't look energetic or motivated anywhere near what St. Marys was. The Gaels want the Bears, and they're going to get them. This weekends match could very well be the best match of the year in the whole country. Sadly, once again, I have to miss this weekends match due to a family gathering, but it will be telecast on CBS Sportschannel and I'll DVR it in order to not miss the action.

One quick note: We noticed what looked like a "pocket" on the top of the back of the Arizona jerseys. At first I thought it was some sort of new method of cooling for the players. But after the game, I talked to a couple of the Cats and they said it is some sort of GPS monitoring system which monitors their performance in-game and allows analysis of their overall performance. I know Cal uses something similar within the indoor training sessions. I had not seen it used outdoors, but if my understanding of what they were trying to tell me is right, it's a very innovative approach to evaluating an athlete's performance.

So here is the bottom line: If you like rough, tough, physical action, played with respect and dignity, then make it to St. Marys College on Saturday. The setting at St. Marys is really good, and the Bears deserve all the support they can get because a chance at a national championship will be on the line, St. Marys is going to have a "revenge factor" going, and regardless of the other two factors, this rivalry is a s good as you can get in collegiate sports.

Go Bears!!!

chalcidbear
Update on Cal/St. Mary's game on 4/27

Looks like the game is scheduled for noon (instead of the typical 1pm kickoff). Parking can be tough in Moraga, so plan ahead.
oursdor65
I'm on Spectrum cable, and CBS Sports channel 836 shows the east college D1 regional championship at noon and the west regional at 2:30. I assume this is the Cal/St Mary's game. I will be recording this on the DVR as I am out of town this weekend.
TomBear
oursdor, I'd advise you to recheck your schedule. I believe Cal's game will be at noon PDST.

I recently, regretfully, had to switch to Spectrum due to AT&T's dropping of Pac 12 Network and have found the Spectrum service to be the worst I've ever experienced in decades. Sometimes the schedule is wrong, the DVR function doesn't start/stop when I want it to and the reliability is horrible. So be very mindful of those things in your efforts to DVR the game.

I'm also interested to see that FloRugby is also planning to broadcast the game, but Colin Hawley will be on the CBS coverage so that will be the one I will try to watch (will be a family event).

MugsVanSant
I saw the same thing. Frequently the sports listings are inaccurate. The Cal -St. Mary's match is definitely at noon.
oursdor65
I am now set to record both times. I suspect that there may be a delay, but it doesn't matter, I should get both games.
Chabbear
So, it looks like our game will be tape delayed on CBS Sportsnet and it will be on at 230pm PDT. So go to the game or watch it after the fact. The Life Lindenwood game is on CBS Sportsnet at 12 noon PDT.

GO Bears beat the Gaels
NVGolfingBear
Are you sure of that?

I set up the record yesterday for the 12 noon game. After your post I went back to the schedule and it specifies St Mary and Cal at 12:00 PDT with Life-Lidenwood at 2:30 PDT, both on CBS Sports.
Chabbear
I looked on the cbs sportsnet link, my comcast tv schedule and both say 12 noon for the eastern game and 230 for the western game. Also florugby says it steaming our game live but the others don't.

This makes the football scheduling look good! At least then we know 6 days in advance and what channel
Chabbear
Now, in looking at https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/cbs-sports-network-usa-hd/6985/2019-04-27
it does say our game at Noon!

USA Rugby also gives our time as Noon:
https://www.d1arugby.com/news/california/regional-championship-preview/

However, on the CBS Sportnet link we are delayed to 230pm https://areyouwatchingthis.com/tv/programs/EP002443850162-College-Rugby-Division-1A-Tournament-Eastern-Bracket-Championship-Teams-TBA/143834331

I don't know what to say. I don't have any connections to ask, if anyone does, please do so!!!!

TomBear
Since FloRugby is streaming the game live for sure, I'd start with them. It's sort of sad because I prefer to hear Colin Hawley's analysis on CBS Sportschannel, but if needed will settle to record his broadcast on CBS SportsChannel and watch it later. It will be interesting to see the two different sets of coverage.

I'd be there were it not for a family matter. But by far the best thing to do is go to St. Marys in person if you're in the area. It's a very nice venue (GREAT scoreboard), and the Bears could use all the vocal support they can get. St. Marys will have a good crowd, and the game is going to be epic!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.