Why did Rosen's stock drop so quickly?

14,346 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oski003
71Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
okaydo said:

I don't follow the draft very closely, but I've listened to 5 draft podcasts and I follow like 300 NFL writers on Twitter...

And the Giants just selected a QB at No. 6 who I've never heard of in my life before Roger Goodell announced his name.
You gotta get out more often. Jones is a highly rated prospect. He was consistently listed in the top three (with Haskins and Murray).
okaydo
71Bear said:

okaydo said:

I don't follow the draft very closely, but I've listened to 5 draft podcasts and I follow like 300 NFL writers on Twitter...

And the Giants just selected a QB at No. 6 who I've never heard of in my life before Roger Goodell announced his name.
You gotta get out more often. Jones is a highly rated prospect. He was consistently listed in the top three (with Haskins and Murray).

Turns out this guy,whose podcast I listen to, did Nostradamus this last week.

ColoradoBear
okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

My buddy from NY is livid right now.
okaydo
ColoradoBear said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

Reading the reactions to this tweet (again, this was tweeted last Friday) was pretty damn hilarious. Everybody knew who he was referring to.

The only QBs I knew from this draft, other than Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins, is Will Grier and Drew Lock.

There is speculation that the Packers would draft Lock. (Aaron Rodgers is now the same age that Favre was when he was drafted. Rodgers is 14 years younger than Favre and he was drafted 14 years ago.)
Rushinbear
ColoradoBear said:

okaydo said:

71Bear said:

okaydo said:

I'm thinkin' that Jones is the Jints' Tom Brady. At least, that's how they figure it.
StillNoStanfurdium
philbert said:

okaydo said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

The big rumor here today was that the pats would or should make a move to get Rosen. The comparisons to him and Goff were soooo off the mark. But I agree with GMP even though he over uses geez
The comparisons are correct if one is looking at their respective rookie seasons. Both Goff and Rosen were awful due to substandard coaching.
you are correct, but the media here has zero respect for Goff and overlook all of his other positives....including having led his team to a super bowl. Drives me nuts.

As my above post suggests, there's a difference between having bad coaches and having inexperienced coaches. The problem with the media narrative on Goff is that, hey, he just had bad coaches. But it's worse than that: his coaches were completely inexperienced. At least most bad coaches* have experience to offer *some* help.

Goff went from having coaches who were completely inexperienced to Sean McVay. McVay is a genius, but he had only 3 years experience as an OC when the Rams hired him and no experience as a QB coach. So he hired as his offensive coordinator Matt LeFleur, who had 6 years experience as a QB coach, to be his OC. And he hired Greg Olson, who had 16 years experience as an OC and/or QB coach, to be his QB coach.

So Goff went from a staff with a combined 1 year experience as OC and QB coach to a staff with a combined 23 years experience as OC and QB coach. And that explains his dramatic improvement.

(*An example of having bad but experienced coaches benefitting a QB: Baker Mayfield. The 2018 Browns staff had a combined 33 years experience as an offensive coordinator and QB coach, including the coaches who were fired.)

People like to compare Goff's rookie year situation to other QBs' situations. But Goff's situation was completely unique in its badness. Even Mitch Trubitsky, who has often drawn comparisons to Goff, had experienced offensive coaches his rookie year.

I think the Rams also upgraded their offensive personnel when McVay came onboard. They invested quite a bit in WRs and OL.

I don't think Rosen had a very good OL. Not sure how their receivers were, but Fitzgerald is close to the end of his career.
That's true about the player upgrades. They picked up Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins and drafted Cooper Kupp upgrading from Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, and Brian Quick. On the line they got Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan who were huge upgrades. Coaching of course made a large difference but the team around Goff can't be understated.
OneKeg
Even if the Giants think Jones is the next Brady, couldn't they have gotten him in a later round? Not sure actually, but I assumed so.

Edited to add: ok looking at it further, maybe not. But you would think they could have traded to take Jones later in the 1st round and get some value from that trade.
bearister

How the New York Giants and Oakland Raiders blew it on draft night

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/26/nfl-draft-giants-raiders?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
OneKeg said:

Even if the Giants think Jones is the next Brady, couldn't they have gotten him in a later round? Not sure actually, but I assumed so.

Edited to add: ok looking at it further, maybe not. But you would think they could have traded to take Jones later in the 1st round and get some value from that trade.

The Giants had the 6th and 17th picks. Some mock drafts (I've looked at since he was picked, including Peter King's) had him going at No. 17. He was definitely going to be available at 17.
Rushinbear
okaydo said:

OneKeg said:

The Giants had the 6th and 17th picks. Some mock drafts (I've looked at since he was picked, including Peter King's) had him going at No. 17. He was definitely going to be available at 17.
Maybe they didn't think that highly of Haskins - light on exper and therefore, riskier. Also, more talent around him at OSU, therefore, looks better than he is. This is always a prob with guys from teams like Bama and SC.

At 6, there wasn't much better talent at their other positions than at 17, so might as well go for Jones. There really weren't any can't miss guys in the draft this year. Also, Jints have been going for locker room harmony, even more so than previously. Jones seems to give them that.
TheSouseFamily
The media and Bears fans crapped all over the Trubisky pick too with essentially the exact same criticisms as those leveled at Jones. And he was 3rd in QBR last year in just his second season? I'll bet Jones has a longer and more successful NFL career than either Haskins or Murray.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2706398-bears-fans-react-in-disgust-after-team-moves-up-to-draft-qb-mitchell-trubisky
okaydo

cal83dls79
okaydo said:

and thank you
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
OneKeg
Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

OneKeg said:

Maybe they didn't think that highly of Haskins - light on exper and therefore, riskier. Also, more talent around him at OSU, therefore, looks better than he is. This is always a prob with guys from teams like Bama and SC.

At 6, there wasn't much better talent at their other positions than at 17, so might as well go for Jones. There really weren't any can't miss guys in the draft this year. Also, Jints have been going for locker room harmony, even more so than previously. Jones seems to give them that.

My whole point was not to disagree with the Giants' assessment of Jones since I really don't know. It was that they should have taken him later since it seems very likely he would have been available. It's pretty hard for me to believe that that none of the players that went 7 - 16 could not have had a ton of value (or even trade value). The Giants just don't seem like a good enough team where only players at their positions of need can help them.

But yeah - who knows. Honestly, Jones could be great.
cal83dls79
OneKeg said:

Rushinbear said:

okaydo said:

OneKeg said:

My whole point was not to disagree with the Giants' assessment of Jones since I really don't know. It was that they should have taken him later since it seems very likely he would have been available. It's pretty hard for me to believe that that none of the players that went 7 - 16 could not have had a ton of value (or even trade value). The Giants just don't seem like a good enough team where only players at their positions of need can help them.

But yeah - who knows. Honestly, Jones could be great.
no, this draft for jones was a huge mistake for jones at 6
okaydo
NFC West is loading up on Asian-American players.

Arizona Cardinals draft a QB of Korean descent.

Rams draft a DB of Chinese descent.
hanky1
Rosen to the Dolphins for a 2nd and a 5th.
TheSouseFamily
Speaking of stock dropping, how much money did Bryce Love cost himself? I've never seen a player on the field more obviously injured than Bryce Love . Shame on Shaw for even allowing it. How many millions of dollars did all that cost him?
cal83dls79
TheSouseFamily said:

Speaking of stock dropping, how much money did Bryce Love cost himself? I've never seen a player on the field more obviously injured than Bryce Love . Shame on Shaw for even allowing it. How many millions of dollars did all that cost him?
time will tell but it's not a good look now
okaydo
This was at the combine.

dajo9
Rosen and Darnold in the same division. That will be a lot of fun to watch play out. I would love to see Jets fans lose their minds if / when Rosen outplays Darnold. They love Darnold in New York. I don't think he'll amount to much.
American Vermin
TheSouseFamily
okaydo said:

This was at the combine.

At least it wasn't Andy Reid.
HungryCalBear
cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

He'll gain some friends with this classy post:

I'm not a fan of Rosen, but hope he'll turn around and not see his talent go to waste.
Rushinbear
HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

I'm not a fan of Rosen, but hope he'll turn around and not see his talent go to waste.

He read the whole thing, until the apt offer.
dajo9
Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?
American Vermin
BearSD
OneKeg said:

My whole point was not to disagree with the Giants' assessment of Jones since I really don't know. It was that they should have taken him later since it seems very likely he would have been available.
Extremely likely that Jones would have been available with a much later pick. The consensus among draftniks was that Drew Lock was rated higher than Jones, and Lock was chosen in the middle of the second round.
TheSouseFamily
3rd place showing. Not bad considering the P12 rated fifth last season. But the SEC is blowing everyone else out of the water when it comes to putting players in the league.

71Bear
TheSouseFamily said:

3rd place showing. Not bad considering the P12 rated fifth last season. But the SEC is blowing everyone else out of the water when it comes to putting players in the league.

25.0% of the P12 teams responsible for 54.5% of the selections.
35.7% of the SEC teams responsible for 56.3% of the selections.

Rushinbear
dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?
Not exactly a show of sincerity, especially in light of accusations that he's full of himself.
dajo9
Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?
Not exactly a show of sincerity, especially in light of accusations that he's full of himself.

Speaking into a camera for a minute is a learned skill. No reason for him to spend a ton of time practicing for that when he can read it.
American Vermin
Rushinbear
dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?

Speaking into a camera for a minute is a learned skill. No reason for him to spend a ton of time practicing for that when he can read it.
I 'spose, but maybe it was to keep him from running off at the mouth.
Cal_79
Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?

Did Rosen kick your dog?
Rushinbear
Cal_79 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?

Did Rosen kick your dog?
No, I just resent his brand of arrogance (I realize that many, if not most, pro athletes display that trait). There's just something about his actions and statements that set me off. I've thought about it and I'm not sure why. I think it was Grover Cleveland Alexander who said, "It ain't braggin' if you done it."
dajo9
Rushinbear said:

Cal_79 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?

Did Rosen kick your dog?
No, I just resent his brand of arrogance (I realize that many, if not most, pro athletes display that trait). There's just something about his actions and statements that set me off. I've thought about it and I'm not sure why. I think it was Grover Cleveland Alexander who said, "It ain't braggin' if you done it."

Lots of bragging among successful athletes. Let's be honest. You don't like his politics, amirite?
American Vermin
okaydo
Rushinbear said:

Cal_79 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

So what?

Did Rosen kick your dog?

This article from nearly 2 years ago gets at what Rushinbear, Armando Salguero (the conservative Dolphins beat writer I posted about upthread) and others who like the status quo don't like about Rosen: he has a mind of his own, and that's verboten in the conservative world of football.

https://www.gq.com/story/josh-rosen-ucla-college-football

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.