Why did Rosen's stock drop so quickly?

14,370 Views | 102 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by oski003
Rushinbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

Cal_79 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

He'll gain some friends with this classy post:

I'm not a fan of Rosen, but hope he'll turn around and not see his talent go to waste.

He read the whole thing, until the apt offer.

So what?
Not exactly a show of sincerity, especially in light of accusations that he's full of himself.

Speaking into a camera for a minute is a learned skill. No reason for him to spend a ton of time practicing for that when he can read it.
I 'spose, but maybe it was to keep him from running off at the mouth.

Did Rosen kick your dog?
No, I just resent his brand of arrogance (I realize that many, if not most, pro athletes display that trait). There's just something about his actions and statements that set me off. I've thought about it and I'm not sure why. I think it was Grover Cleveland Alexander who said, "It ain't braggin' if you done it."

Lots of bragging among successful athletes. Let's be honest. You don't like his politics, amirite?
I have no earthly idea what his politics are. What gives rise to that?
OdontoBear66
Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

Cal_79 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

dajo9 said:

Rushinbear said:

HungryCalBear said:

cal83dls79 said:

okaydo said:

He'll gain some friends with this classy post:

I'm not a fan of Rosen, but hope he'll turn around and not see his talent go to waste.

He read the whole thing, until the apt offer.

So what?
Not exactly a show of sincerity, especially in light of accusations that he's full of himself.

Speaking into a camera for a minute is a learned skill. No reason for him to spend a ton of time practicing for that when he can read it.
I 'spose, but maybe it was to keep him from running off at the mouth.

Did Rosen kick your dog?
No, I just resent his brand of arrogance (I realize that many, if not most, pro athletes display that trait). There's just something about his actions and statements that set me off. I've thought about it and I'm not sure why. I think it was Grover Cleveland Alexander who said, "It ain't braggin' if you done it."

Lots of bragging among successful athletes. Let's be honest. You don't like his politics, amirite?
I have no earthly idea what his politics are. What gives rise to that?
Thought the same thing when I read that. I have no clue as to his politics but he is a different QB with protection than he is when protection is marginal.
okaydo
It's shocking that the conservative posters on this board are unaware of Rosen's politics.
Rushinbear
okaydo said:

It's shocking that the conservative posters on this board are unaware of Rosen's politics.
smh. You must see boogey men around every corner. Life isn't just dems and reps, you know.
OdontoBear66
okaydo said:

What difference does it make to Rosen's situation even if one knew? Didn't the 49ers just draft a conservative person? Would never have known or cared let alone the headline.
hanky1
Rosen is definitely smug and arrogant but so is Aaron Rodgers.

Rosen thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Guess who else thinks they're the smartest guy in the room...Aaron Rodgers.
Big Dog
Living in SoCal, I watched a lot of UC Los Angeles games, and to me, Rosen is not a Franchise QB. He's good, but appears almost mechanical as he goes thru the progressions. Franchise QB's (think AR, Brady, Brees and that like) make everyone around them better. I did not see that with Rosen in college. The team underperformed, but perhaps part of that was coaching.

In response to the OP, thought his stock was too high to begin with.
BearSD
OdontoBear66 said:

Didn't the 49ers just draft a conservative person?
Yes, the extremely conservative GM of the 49ers used the 2nd pick in the NFL draft on an extremely conservative player who called Kaepernick a clown and was congratulated by Trump after being chosen 2nd in the draft.
NVGolfingBear
...and this has what to do about sacking Russel Wilson, Kyler Murray or getting stoned by Whitworth so he cannot sack Jared Goff?
71Bear
NVGolfingBear said:

...and this has what to do about sacking Russel Wilson, Kyler Murray or getting stoned by Whitworth so he cannot sack Jared Goff?
Absolutely nothing. I suspect there are quite a number of guys in the NFL that share his political opinions. The difference is they have not been as vocal on social media regarding those opinions.

Bosa is a great prospect. I look forward to watching him, Ford and Buckner wreak havoc this fall.

BearSD
NVGolfingBear said:

Tell that to the right-wing writer in Miami who is smearing Rosen, and tell it to every team in the NFL that blackballed Kaepernick while hiring one absolutely terrible QB after another.
GMP
71Bear said:

NVGolfingBear said:

Absolutely nothing. I suspect there are quite a number of guys in the NFL that share his political opinions. The difference is they have not been as vocal on social media regarding those opinions.

Bosa is a great prospect. I look forward to watching him, Ford and Buckner wreak havoc this fall.

Of course, when Kaepernick voiced his opinion, he was basically blackballed (if not in agreement then by effect). The hypocrisy is glaring. But I agree that while I think Bosa is...well let's say we disagree, I don't think the Niners should have avoided him because of Bay Area politics. For another, I think the issue is overblown. The 49ers have a large fan base that extends inland, where politics are less left-leaning than they are in San Francisco proper.
joe amos yaks
GMP said:

Of course, when Kaepernick voiced his opinion, he was basically blackballed (if not in agreement then by effect). The hypocrisy is glaring. But I agree that while I think Bosa is...well let's say we disagree, I don't think the Niners should have avoided him because of Bay Area politics. For another, I think the issue is overblown. The 49ers have a large fan base that extends inland, where politics are less left-leaning than they are in San Francisco proper.
Bosa is the product of a clown community, and now he has to wear the clown shoes.
The real question is who crafted Bosa's public statement / explanation / apology?
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
okaydo
Rosen's politics was literally brought up in the draft process.

Rushinbear
hanky1 said:

Rosen is definitely smug and arrogant but so is Aaron Rodgers.

Rosen thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Guess who else thinks they're the smartest guy in the room...Aaron Rodgers.
"It ain't braggin' if you done it." What's he done?
oski003
GMP said:

71Bear said:

NVGolfingBear said:

Kaepernick voiced a controversial opinion while in uniform AT WORK. That is the difference between Bosa, Rosen, and KAP.
71Bear
oski003 said:

GMP said:

71Bear said:

NVGolfingBear said:

Kaepernick voiced a controversial opinion while in uniform AT WORK. That is the difference between Bosa, Rosen, and KAP.
Kapp was (is) a public figure expressing his opinion in a public forum. Given the fact that his employer supported him publicly, I see no problem with him expressing his viewpoint. He knew that it would not be popular. He was aware that he could be blackballed by the league. Heck, he sued and settled his case out of court because the league knew they had to avoid the legal discovery process because they had much to hide.

The fact that Kap took his stance knowing it could jeopardize his career and backed it up with a million dollar pledge to causes he supports tells me that he is the real deal. I wish him well in the future.....
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Sure, except Kap didn't voice any opinion while in uniform at work to my knowledge. He chose not to stand for the national anthem and later explained that it was to bring attention to police brutality.

I don't think opposing police brutality is a controversial opinion. I think the media outrage machine spun his stance to generate clicks and eyeballs but his actual opinion was quite mainstream. There were also a number of people who became triggered for whatever reason by the fact that he chose to kneel for the anthem to bring attention to his cause. That doesn't make his opinion controversial, it just proves that a lot of people are easily outraged (especially those who oppose "political correctness"), as if that were ever in doubt.
oski003
Many people believe that what is now called police brutality is an unfortunate side effect of having to protect people and their property from a group of individuals that would do them and their property harm.

The series of events below took the nation by storm. "Police Brutatlity" has been controversial ever since (if not always). Just because you have a sincere belief that one side is right and the other is wrong, does not make it not controversial. (You can further mix in disrespect for the anthem, etc... even though I believe that should be offset by the fact that players had to stand for the anthem in the first place. Coming out for it should always have been optional).

Yes, he was at work and in uniform. He should protest elsewhere and simply not come out for the anthem.
oski003
... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Michael_Brown
oski003
On August 9, 2014, Michael Brown Jr., an 18-year-old African American man, was fatally shot by 28-year-old Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the city of Ferguson, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis.[2] Brown was accompanied by his friend Dorian Johnson who was 22.[3] Wilson said that an altercation ensued when Brown attacked Wilson in his police vehicle for control of Wilson's gun until it was fired.[4] Johnson stated that Wilson initiated a confrontation by grabbing Brown by the neck through his car window, threatening him and then shooting at him.[5] At this point, both Wilson and Johnson state that Brown and Johnson fled, with Wilson pursuing Brown shortly thereafter. Wilson stated that Brown stopped and charged him after a short pursuit. Johnson contradicted this account, stating that Brown turned around with his hands raised after Wilson shot at his back. According to Johnson, Wilson then shot Brown multiple times until Brown fell to the ground. In the entire altercation, Wilson fired a total of twelve bullets, including twice during the struggle in the car;[6] the last was probably the fatal shot. Brown was hit a total of six times from the front.[7][8][9]
This event ignited unrest in Ferguson. Although a subsequent FBI investigation found that there was no evidence that Brown had his hands up in surrender or said "don't shoot" before he was shot, protesters believed that he had done so, and used the slogan "Hands up, don't shoot" in protest. Protests, both peaceful and violent, continued for more than a week in Ferguson; police established a nightly curfew. The response of area police agencies in dealing with the protests was strongly criticized by the media and politicians. There were concerns over insensitivity, tactics, and a militarized response. Missouri governor Jay Nixon ordered local police organizations to cede much of their authority to the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
A grand jury was called and given extensive evidence from Robert McCulloch, the St. Louis County Prosecutor. On November 24, 2014, McCulloch announced the St. Louis County grand jury had decided not to indictWilson.[10] On March 4, 2015, the U.S. Department of Justice reported the conclusion of its own investigation and cleared Wilson of civil rights violations in the shooting. It found forensic evidence supported the officer's account, that witnesses who corroborated the officer's account were credible, and that witnesses who had incriminated him were not credible, with some admitting they had not directly seen the events.[11][12] The Department of Justice concluded that Wilson shot Brown in self-defense
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

Yes, he was at work and in uniform. He should protest elsewhere and simply not come out for the anthem.
Then you would have criticized him for that (just like people criticized Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf in the 90's). People always criticize the form and manner of protest and say "if only he had protested this other way" there would be no criticism.

He didn't disrespect the national anthem, he merely kneeled during it. It was a peaceful, silent protest that was objected to by people because they don't like the message and because the media outrage machine got them amped up.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

oski003 said:

Then you would have criticized him for that (just like people criticized Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf in the 90's). People always criticize the form and manner of protest and say "if only he had protested this other way" there would be no criticism.

He didn't disrespect the national anthem, he merely kneeled during it. It was a peaceful, silent protest that was objected to by people because they don't like the message and because the media outrage machine got them amped up.

Read man. Your statement about what I would have criticized him for shows you have no ****ing clue. I'm not particularly taking issue with the anthem aspect of it. I'm taking issue with the fact that he was AT WORK and, yes, it is a CONTROVERSIAL ISSUE.
Unit2Sucks
Read your own words. You suggested he should not come out for the anthem as if that would make a difference. I guess asking you to read what you write is a bridge too far.
oski003
I made no comment on what would or would not make a difference. Where the **** do you get your insight from?
Unit2Sucks
oski003 said:

I made no comment on what would or would not make a difference. Where the **** do you get your insight from?

What were you trying to accomplish by saying he should not come out for the anthem? Sorry for attempting to attach meaning to your words. Sorry not sorry I guess.
Yogi58
oski003 said:

Really? What did he say?
oski003
His message, exhibited at work in uniform in a public display, was that he will not support standing for the anthem because

"The message is that we have a lot of issues in this country that we need to deal with,'' said Kaepernick, the 49ers quarterback. "We have a lot of people that are oppressed. We have a lot of people that aren't treated equal, aren't given equal opportunities.

"Police brutality is a huge thing that needs to be addressed. There are a lot of issues that need to be talked about, that need to be brought to light and we need to fix those.''

---

He also wore socks to practice which depicted the faces of pigs dressed as police officers.

---

Bottom line, he protested a controversial issue at work.
71Bear
oski003 said:

His message, exhibited at work in uniform in a public display, was that he will not support standing for the anthem because

"The message is that we have a lot of issues in this country that we need to deal with,'' said Kaepernick, the 49ers quarterback. "We have a lot of people that are oppressed. We have a lot of people that aren't treated equal, aren't given equal opportunities.

"Police brutality is a huge thing that needs to be addressed. There are a lot of issues that need to be talked about, that need to be brought to light and we need to fix those.''

---

He also wore socks to practice which depicted the faces of pigs dressed as police officers.

---

And his employer supported his right to express himself in the manner he chose....

If his employer had a problem with him protesting any issue "at work", his employer would have worked through the NFLPA to address the matter. However, that was unnecessary.

Given all player actions are governed by the CBA that was agreed to by the players and management, one cannot suggest something can or can't be done "at work" without first understanding the appropriate provisions of the contract.
okaydo
I thought this video was a fun one to watch ... if you're still thinking about the draft.

calumnus
71Bear said:

oski003 said:

---

---

And his employer supported his right to express himself in the manner he chose....

If his employer had a problem with him protesting any issue "at work", his employer would have worked through the NFLPA to address the matter. However, that was unnecessary.

Given all player actions are governed by the CBA that was agreed to by the players and management, one cannot suggest something can or can't be done "at work" without first understanding the appropriate provisions of the contract.

Exactly. The order to blackball him came from the NFL Commissioner, partly in response to a public threat from the POTUS to eliminated NFL tax breaks and other benefits. And of course that was largely due to outrage from Fox News.

There is a reason Kaepernick will get a settlement from the NFL.
oski003
calumnus said:

71Bear said:

oski003 said:

---

---

Exactly. The order to blackball him came from the NFL Commissioner, partly in response to a public threat from the POTUS to eliminated NFL tax breaks and other benefits. And of course that was largely due to outrage from Fox News.

Did you find the smoking gun?
calumnus
oski003 said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

oski003 said:

---

---

It came out in the tape of the meeting with the Player's Association that was leaked:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/04/25/leaked-tapes-nfl-owners-players-october-meeting-kaepernick-collusion-case-donald-trump

The tape of the closed-door meeting with just the owners was likely more explicit about It than the meeting with the players and was sought in discovery. It is one of the reasons most of the owners supposedly want to settle.
oski003
calumnus said:

oski003 said:

calumnus said:

71Bear said:

oski003 said:

---

---

It came out in the tape of the meeting with the Player's Association that was leaked:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.si.com/nfl/2018/04/25/leaked-tapes-nfl-owners-players-october-meeting-kaepernick-collusion-case-donald-trump

The tape of the closed-door meeting with just the owners was likely more explicit about It than the meeting with the players and was sought in discovery. It is one of the reasons most of the owners supposedly want to settle.

I see nowhere in your article an order from the commissioner to blackball Kap. Is it there somewhere?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.